Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

the last time I had an amd cpu on air it was a nowadays-tiny 7000rpm delta fan trying to cool an athlon thunderbird and we lived with the noise (and without our fingertips)

can smell a ryzen in the future tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
hell yeah super orb

there's two counter-rotating fans in there

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Man, Delta fans. Those where the days. Loud as heck, but you knew you had a high end system.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Sorry, but we must absolutely assume chipset fan technology is exactly where it was back when DFI and Soyo were major brands

small fans are poo poo and they didn't defeat physics in the last 10 years

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Buzzword alert:

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1128287092105256961

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

Sorry, but we must absolutely assume chipset fan technology is exactly where it was back when DFI and Soyo were major brands

Ehhh nobody really cared about the cluster of 4x tiny fans that were used on the ASUS ROG Dominus Extreme VRM and those actually had to work at a decent RPM so maybe its not so big of an issue as some might want to believe.

Yeah some bottom tier x570 mobo might have a crap one (or none at all and just allowed to throttle going by the BZ vid) but an OK one at low-ish RPM's will last and not be noisy and the airflow/HSF requirements aren't exactly drastic with a sub 20W heat load so they don't need to be like those old 10K RPM Delta Black screamers either. Even back then those sorts of fans were only used by enthusiasts looking to get a lil' extra out of the memory controller when OC'ing.

I used one too. For a while anyways.

Sininu posted:

Uhh, I don't like the sound of that rumor/news. Won't those tiny fans be easily audible?

If they're high RPM sure they'll sound like a tiny jet engine no matter what but they weren't like that back then even on the lovely mobos (on the lovely mobos the fans just tended to die fast but ran at mediocre to low RPM's so they weren't loud either) and I doubt these will be either.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ufarn posted:

Buzzword alert:
Hope the Threadrippers get a mention there. With what dropping from the roadmap. I'd like to know about my future upgrade path.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hope the Threadrippers get a mention there. With what dropping from the roadmap. I'd like to know about my future upgrade path.

threadrippers are what going to exist in the 16-24 core range or go all the way to 32?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They already exist at 32 cores with the 2990WX, I'm hoping for up to 64 like the single socket Rome counterparts.

Upgrading from 8C/16T R7 1700 to a mid-range 32C/64T Threadripper is absolutely my dream.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
AMD's shareholders want to see server marketshare percentage in the double digits ASAP. HEDT is not a priority by comparison and hey why don't you have these nice R9 16c/32t parts instead?

Would be sad to see Threadripper become a casualty but if the demand for the top binned chiplets means they can only feed the Rome product line (with their better margins anyway) then AMD don't care.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

With memory controller moving to a centralized IO die I honestly don't see the point of Threadripper existing. Threadripper made big concessions in memory bandwidth from the way the channels were addressed and those limits cease to exist in Zen2. Just slap one of the Eypc P variants in an ATX form factor and have at it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Quad channel and high PCIe lane count.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

You realize that current-gen Epyc CPUs have twice as many memory channels and PCIe lanes over threadripper right?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA
Honestly, with the way the new chips are designed, Threadripper is basically just single socket Epyc. About the only difference would be the ability to get cores with less efficiency and higher peak speeds.

I mean, I could see what's basically an R9 with the bigger Rome-style IMC chip, but at that point it's basically just an entry level Epyc anyways.

Edit: I guess they could make Threadrippers out of half-broken Rome IMCs, but we probably won't see those for a while either way.

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 14, 2019

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Hey look, another Intel speculative execution side-channel attack.

quote:

First identified by Intel’s internal researchers and partners, and independently reported to Intel by external researchers, MDS is a sub-class of previously disclosed speculative execution side channel vulnerabilities and is comprised of four related techniques. Under certain conditions, MDS provides a program the potential means to read data that program otherwise would not be able to see. MDS techniques are based on a sampling of data leaked from small structures within the CPU using a locally executed speculative execution side channel. Practical exploitation of MDS is a very complex undertaking. MDS does not, by itself, provide an attacker with a way to choose the data that is leaked.

Fixed in microcode with performance hits; compute primarily impacted with hyperthreading disabled, NVMe storage impacted with hyperthreading enabled. No equivalent for AMD at this time.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

You realize that current-gen Epyc CPUs have twice as many memory channels and PCIe lanes over threadripper right?
Who cares that EPYC is octochannel, when a) the X399 boards aren't wired for it, and b) they won't clock as high as the Threadrippers?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Seamonster posted:

AMD's shareholders want to see server marketshare percentage in the double digits ASAP. HEDT is not a priority by comparison and hey why don't you have these nice R9 16c/32t parts instead?

Would be sad to see Threadripper become a casualty but if the demand for the top binned chiplets means they can only feed the Rome product line (with their better margins anyway) then AMD don't care.

That doesn't make sense. If you've got enough top-binned chiplets to service the desktop market with a high-clock (dual-die) 16C product as well as downmarket R5 products using single 8C dies, you've got enough top-binned chips to service the (much smaller) HEDT market as well.

If you look at Mindfactory data, TR sells like 1% of the volume of R7s and R5s. The 2950X is like a three-pixel slice, the 2990WX is literally a line, everything else is rounded into "other". AMD would sell less R9s than they currently do R7s due to higher pricing, but any way you want to slice it, HEDT is a low-volume product compared to consumer processors.

Threadripper may not be pulled at all, it may just not have been on the consumer roadmap because it's not really a consumer processor, but if it is pulled it's probably to avoid it undercutting Epyc sales, rather than because they don't have enough dies. The idea of 64C variants, in particular, has always seemed kinda suspect to me because the 2990WX was segmented from Epyc by its wonky 2+0+2+0 NUMA config, with the IO die on Zen2 it's no longer NUMA, so would literally just be an overclockable single-socket Epyc (with lower memory channels/PCIe lanes I guess). When they do threadripper, I would not be surprised at all to see the highest config being 32C.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 14, 2019

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Cygni posted:

Those tiny fans were so awful on a bunch of the boards I had. If they don’t bother you, cool have fun. But I really don’t want them.

I hope someone does a board temp comparison with a 2700x and comparable core Zen 2 cpu on a x570 motherboard.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
What's the difference, between a fat cubular sttructure of tiny Delta fans, and just one big fan

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mofabio posted:

What's the difference, between a fat cubular sttructure of tiny Delta fans, and just one big fan

A whole shitload of bearings and a bunch of area that could be airflow taken up by plastic frames.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Delta fans are better for chopping vegetables.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Truga posted:

hell yeah super orb

there's two counter-rotating fans in there

That brings back memories. I used Orbs on every build I did there for a few years.

But My favorite fan/heatsink combo was the Vantec VA4C7040 Aeroflow Heatsink.

The fan was tip magnetic driven.

They claimed that with out the motor being under the fan, there would be less of an air "shadow" and that the air flow would be better and quieter. In practice, it was decent, but not silent.

But it was the torq-iest loving fan I have ever had and I made the mistake of putting my finger in it once while it was running. It went to the bone.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

did you put your finger there intentionally is what I want to know

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Statutory Ape posted:

If you don't try to stop every PC fan you come across with your finger then perhaps PC hardware isn't for you.

Use friction in the center of the fan rather than in the blades if it's a larger fan.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I put my fingers into fans on purpose all the time. Easiest way to tell which one is noisy is by stopping them one at a time.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i dont stick my finger in the end of the blade no but i will "pause" it with my finger from the central area

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Thoughts on that biostar thing: it looks like it is fairly chunky, but doesn't have a ton of surface area or fine fins. Possibly the fan will only run some of the time -- if as Buildzoid says the chip occasionally spikes to really high watts then that heatsink is made that way for the thermal mass. Chip dumps heat, heatsink absorbs it and the fan turns on for a bit to cool it off.

If that's true then replacing it with a super orb or some other heatsink with more fins but less mass wouldn't be a great solution. A waterblock would be good though.

Lowen SoDium posted:

The fan was tip magnetic driven.

They claimed that with out the motor being under the fan, there would be less of an air "shadow" and that the air flow would be better and quieter. In practice, it was decent, but not silent.

But it was the torq-iest loving fan I have ever had and I made the mistake of putting my finger in it once while it was running. It went to the bone.

Funny thing is, it actually was incredibly *un*torquey. One of the problems with them was that they were super easy to jam at startup.

It cut the gently caress out of your finger because the fan had a solid rim and mangets around the outside of the blades. Meaning it had a ton of mass moving fast around the outside edge. A ton of rotational inertia = fan blades don't want to stop when they encountered your finger.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Statutory Ape posted:

:( yes...

Klyith posted:

Funny thing is, it actually was incredibly *un*torquey. One of the problems with them was that they were super easy to jam at startup.

It cut the gently caress out of your finger because the fan had a solid rim and mangets around the outside of the blades. Meaning it had a ton of mass moving fast around the outside edge. A ton of rotational inertia = fan blades don't want to stop when they encountered your finger.

Ah, good point. You are correct and I do remember the fan failing to start some times, especially once it was older.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I seemed to remember there being metal fin variants of that fan and one of my friends bought one for dick-waving purposes. Seemed dangerous

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
That's a novel design for a fan. If it's made with decent precision and with the bearing doing much less work than a conventional fan, I bet those things ran for a long time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It's an expensive design. For the price of all those windings and magnets, you could probably make a conventional fan with a real bearing and have it last 50 years.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yes but magnets

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Statutory Ape posted:

Yes but magnets

this

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
If the magnetic fan fails to start do you have to shut it down and try again or give it an assisted start like one of those old prop planes?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

isndl posted:

If the magnetic fan fails to start do you have to shut it down and try again or give it an assisted start like one of those old prop planes?

I can only imagine the latter, although I still wouldn't do it with my finger.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

isndl posted:

this question is why the fans run on magnets

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Statutory Ape posted:

this question is why the fans run on magnets

Same reason I have a beam spring keyboard, duh.

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

The x570 chipset has the wrong kind of fan

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:
Does it post on r/amd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Starting with the Ryzen 2000 series, AMD processors technically violate the classical laws of thermodynamics. As stated by their technical marketing department, power in != power out ("electrical watts >>>> thermal watts"). Instead, the remaining energy is dissipated as enthusiastic posts on reddit and threads like this one.

I am excited to reveal that beginning with the 3000 series, this feature will be extended to the chipset as well.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 15, 2019