Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Pip pip pip posted:

I want to see this!! Nugget is a sweetheart, but she is not very bright lol. Smart 'tiels amaze me.

Please please please ignore my weird bird voice. I promise I don't sound like that in normal conversation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbxeKAMMhAQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I don't believe any pet owner that says they don't have a "pet voice"

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

The thing is, I abhor "baby talk" and have refused to do it my whole life. Then I hear myself on a recording with my bird and I'm just like, "Welp." :stare:

Masterpettitt
Sep 20, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I 100% have a pet voice when I talk

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Log posted:

Please please please ignore my weird bird voice. I promise I don't sound like that in normal conversation.

What's it like, living with a perfect angel? :allears:

(also, yes, can confirm: I don't normally do nicknames or babytalk but... Apollo, my dog, is constantly floofpoof/buster/doggo/dingdong/you're a good boy you know that? -- I cannot stop myself, and I don't want to.)

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/G8QfHLf.mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's it like, living with a perfect angel? :allears:

(also, yes, can confirm: I don't normally do nicknames or babytalk but... Apollo, my dog, is constantly floofpoof/buster/doggo/dingdong/you're a good boy you know that? -- I cannot stop myself, and I don't want to.)

She is the mostly impotently sass filled thing I've ever encountered. Boy oh boy, if you make her angry she will make indignant noises and slam her open beak in your direction so furiously!

Normal Morning Routine :

:wakes up the birds by taking off their cover:

"Morning, birds! Hi Serra!"

:Serra opens her beak and makes a huffy little hiss, then goes full :derptiel: and demands to be fed and pet:

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Captain Log posted:

She is the mostly impotently sass filled thing I've ever encountered. Boy oh boy, if you make her angry she will make indignant noises and slam her open beak in your direction so furiously!

Normal Morning Routine :

:wakes up the birds by taking off their cover:

"Morning, birds! Hi Serra!"

:Serra opens her beak and makes a huffy little hiss, then goes full :derptiel: and demands to be fed and pet:

Sounds like you have a cockatiel.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Patrovsky posted:

Sounds like you have a cockatiel.

She is the first one I've had that hisses a lot. (They are cute, tiny, fussy hisses) She still hasn't bit anyone in her almost two years. A few nibbles, but no bites.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Captain Log posted:

She is the first one I've had that hisses a lot. (They are cute, tiny, fussy hisses) She still hasn't bit anyone in her almost two years. A few nibbles, but no bites.

Ah. Murphy hissed at everyone that wasn't me. And also at me. And at anything she didn't like. :( I miss that poor dumb bird.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
these things survive in the wild :derptiel:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

terra is also a lot of sass in a tiny body, which scares me because she's still in the sweet cuddly baby phase, what hell will be unleashed when she starts puberty :ohdear:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

One time Looloo disappeared and we spent about an hour searching the house in an increasing panic trying to find her. It was winter, so no doors or windows would have been left open so we knew she was in the house somewhere, but maybe she'd gotten trapped or sat on or or or...

Anyway, we finally found her fast asleep behind the curtains in the kitchen - she'd been napping on the window ledge when someone shut the curtains. There was SO MUCH hissing and grumpy fluffing up when we tried to get her to step up to be put to bed t:derptiel:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Captain Log posted:

How many other birds are in your house you’re not telling us about???

Masterpettitt
Sep 20, 2018

legit the best thing i have seen all day that poor hamster, I need to teach my bird how to do this

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Masterpettitt posted:

legit the best thing i have seen all day that poor hamster, I need to teach my bird how to do this

yeah I saved that to my computer lol my husband LOVES this and it is his new fav thing to watch when he is having a bad day.

For some reason, he is talking about getting a hamster now....I kiboshed that idea quickly.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

mikerock posted:

do you have birds in your house

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

mikerock posted:

How many other birds are in your house you’re not telling us about???

Just Yellow and Blue the parakeets that never, ever, ever stop burbling and gurgling. Ever.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

We should have some video and/or photo evidence, just to be sure.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

ALERT: comfy levels have reached over maximum allowed levels, we are now at DEFCON Floof!

https://twitter.com/terrathetiel/status/1128339199395078145?s=19

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

redgubbinz posted:

We should have some video and/or photo evidence, just to be sure.

Give me a little time. They are flighty little bastards.

Yellow is a half albino female originally named Chael. My father aptly started calling them Blue and Yellow. He has also said Yellow is the feathered embodyment of hate and disdain. She isn't friendly.

Blue (originally named Tito Two) is a typical male. Always feeding yellow and taking care of her. Hell, she likely survived her stroke due to him literally feeding her and preening her all day. Blue is certainly tameable, but while Yellow is alive I'm not worried about it.

Blue is also so intrigued by Serra that he occasionally leaves his cage to stare at her. Serra does this back - :stare:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I actually got them to sit still!

Notice Yellow is nearly bursting at the seems with food. Blue is a feeder, that's for sure.

Yellow is also the bird that made us put their treat container on the ground, because she would dive into it head first and kick out old seed to get to the fresh stuff. Like a groundhog.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Budgems! :kimchi:

Blue is a very good husband, the story of him caring for Yellow was so sweet.

Maybe he's worried about Serra not getting enough food, he could be interested in providing for...larger women.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 15, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

redgubbinz posted:

Budgems! :kimchi:

Blue is a very good husband, the story of him caring for Yellow was so sweet.

Maybe he's worried about Serra not getting enough food, he could be interested in providing for...larger women.

I occasionally put Serra in their cage and supervise, and blue is like PePe Lepew the skunk when she is around.

Of course Serra tried to groom Yellow. Of course. :derptiel:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Masterpettitt posted:

To me it looks like the bird is trying to make a Hamster flavored milk shake.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Faerie Fortune posted:

ALERT: comfy levels have reached over maximum allowed levels, we are now at DEFCON Floof!

Oh come on with this :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

theHUNGERian posted:

To me it looks like the bird is trying to make a Hamster flavored milk shake.

It sure looks like the hamster gets swapped out. I don't think the parrot could spin a hamster that fast.

Although the look on the hamster's face sure is the embodiment of, "Welp :stare:"

Faerie Fortune posted:

A National Treasure :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Today was cage and bird cleaning day. I got a video of Blue saying hi to Serra. :3:

https://youtu.be/ktuG5QjJvVk

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Captain Log posted:

the parakeets that never, ever, ever stop burbling and gurgling. Ever.
this is the point of budgies

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Captain Log posted:

Today was cage and bird cleaning day. I got a video of Blue saying hi to Serra. :3:

https://youtu.be/ktuG5QjJvVk

My favorite thing about this video is how you let Serra on top of the cage and then five seconds later you're going around the corner to pick her up from the floor. I was kind of expecting her to stay on the cage or near you, but noooo

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

StrixNebulosa posted:

My favorite thing about this video is how you let Serra on top of the cage and then five seconds later you're going around the corner to pick her up from the floor. I was kind of expecting her to stay on the cage or near you, but noooo

She had just showered and is clipped. I was trying to focus on the video but just heard some flapping and a "plop" as she hit the floor.

Part of her daily routine is about 30-60 minutes of carpet foraging. She seems to go over every little strand and occasionally finds a stray ant to chase around. (We have a small ant issue here) Once foraging is complete, she returns to me and headbutts my hand until she gets scritched.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Captain Log posted:

A National Treasure :3:

Tendai posted:

Oh come on with this :3:

I don't know how she does it, baby animals are always cuter and fluffier but terra just does not look real at all and I don't understand why! she just has like, 200% more floof than the average cockatiel I guess?

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

That might be the best picture I’ve ever seen in my life.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
https://twitter.com/craignewman/status/1128536149570609152

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

JJ likes to boogie down.

(Loudish)

https://twitter.com/Imalloutofideas/status/1129014621262811138?s=19

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Question for y'all!

What does your bird smell like?

My bird smells like corn pops, fresh milk and honey without that weird saliva smell.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookie smells kinda musty in a very birdy way - it's not unpleasant but it is very distinctive and may be connected to her bathing habits.
Looloo the cockatiel smelled like baby powder :3:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Pinto kinda smells like a paper plate that just 2 minutes ago held some microwaved frozen peas.