Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

And since it runs on the rarely-used strategic screen, it feels that little bit seperate from the rest of the game- almost like you're playing a second, weird game at ghe same time as ES2...

Anyway I'm trying out the Broken Lords in EL at the moment- they are super fun to play- but am I missing something with the hp stealing ability of their cavalry unit? It 4hp seems like nothing at all.

The regen scales with their level I think, but yeah it's so little that it'll almost never make a difference. Their infantry, on the other hand, is great. A little weak in attack and damage but absurd defense and their leech ability is actually strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I've found hacking to be a very good way to accelerate a peaceful assimilation of an early minor, since it halves the cost of friendly diplomacy and minors are bad at stopping this. After that, the one that fucks up the opposing ground warfare is a god send since it means they can't conscript and you're likely only one system away.

The worse part of Penumbra is the faction, who are almost like a dead spot on the map and not fun to play as.

One really good thing about the expansion, design wise, is that the hacking techs are attached to existing, already useful techs. The Endless style, where the decision is as much about skipping techs as choosing them, makes expansions that add new techs (Tempest, for example) for their gimmick much less attractive.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tulip posted:

The Endless style, where the decision is as much about skipping techs as choosing them, makes expansions that add new techs (Tempest, for example) for their gimmick much less attractive.

I never made that connection, but by god you're right. Those naval techs in EL where so bad, and even worse when I think of them in this context.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anyone else have an issue with Endless Space 2 where you can't start a new game because you're stuck at the loading screen forever? I hear the intro and everything, just nothing's happening graphically.

e: it's kind of weird since I was able to play the tutorial just fine a few days ago

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 27, 2019

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they made a Horatio visual novel game. no, this is not a joke.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/949060/Love_Thyself__A_Horatio_Story/

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

honestly, amplitudes strengths are probably better suited for vns and the like than 4x anyway

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I made my own faction in ES2 based on the United Empire that goes all in on industry, combined with Omniscience, Utopian Infrastructure, and a few trade-related dump traits (I didn't realize trade was actually good). It's been working out really well, I've built every single wonder and I'm wiping the floor with the AI on the normal difficulty setting.

Any ideas to spice things up for future games? I want to keep playing this faction since it owns, but I'm getting a bit tired of the UE story missions.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Phlegmish posted:

I made my own faction in ES2 based on the United Empire that goes all in on industry, combined with Omniscience, Utopian Infrastructure, and a few trade-related dump traits (I didn't realize trade was actually good). It's been working out really well, I've built every single wonder and I'm wiping the floor with the AI on the normal difficulty setting.

Any ideas to spice things up for future games? I want to keep playing this faction since it owns, but I'm getting a bit tired of the UE story missions.

You can completely break pretty much any of the base factions if you customize them. Just go with whatever sounds interesting.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Man I'm bummed about this game. The hacking expac really killed off all of my enthusiasm.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Amethyst posted:

Man I'm bummed about this game. The hacking expac really killed off all of my enthusiasm.

...yeah, I've only played it once since installing the expansion. It feels like my options are to ignore hacking, in which case I get messages that My System Has Been Hacked, or to pay attention to hacking, which for some reason really breaks the flow of an otherwise chill sort of game.
Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to do when I get a "someone's trying to hack you" message?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tree Bucket posted:

...yeah, I've only played it once since installing the expansion. It feels like my options are to ignore hacking, in which case I get messages that My System Has Been Hacked, or to pay attention to hacking, which for some reason really breaks the flow of an otherwise chill sort of game.
Can anyone tell me what I am supposed to do when I get a "someone's trying to hack you" message?
Install Stellaris.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Stellaris is an entirely different and boring beast tho so it's not exactly useful advice.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Rhjamiz posted:

Stellaris is an entirely different and boring beast tho so it's not exactly useful advice.
It is obviously different and the rest of what you are saying is entirely opinion based. I posted my opinion because it is what I did when I looked Hacking and said "nah"; I'm glad I did because I am really really enjoying Stellaris after its most recent updates. Tree Bucket can act on it however he wants.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 17, 2019

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

There are defensive programs you can place on your systems to gently caress with enemy hacking, they're visible in the tech tree and attached to many things you'd research anyway.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Generic Octopus posted:

There are defensive programs you can place on your systems to gently caress with enemy hacking, they're visible in the tech tree and attached to many things you'd research anyway.

the hacking isn't great but since they put the abilities as add-on to existing tech it's much better than most of their secondary systems

I know it's not popular but I really do like that it gives a decent avenue to conquering planets that isn't planet cracking. Conscription can make it take far too long otherwise

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Generic Octopus posted:

I guess it's hard to get a feel for whether or not these programs are "working." Is the general idea to drop a defensive program on a system that's given you an alert, or to only drop them on priority systems?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
AFAIK if you don’t have any defense you might not get any notice at all. Always dump something on your hw for that reason.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kind of running into the problem where if a strategy game doesn't have a campaign mode, I run out of inspiration...which settings would you recommend to challenge my OP custom Industry/Omniscience civilization without them making the AI overly aggressive during the early game?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Thinking about trying this, I usually like 4X games (I've played the poo poo out of most of the Civ games and GalCiv II). Tried Stellaris and it never really clicked for me though.

Is any of the DLC must-buy?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

sean10mm posted:

Thinking about trying this, I usually like 4X games (I've played the poo poo out of most of the Civ games and GalCiv II). Tried Stellaris and it never really clicked for me though.

Which one in particular are you looking at, Endless Space 2 or Endless Legend?

vosk
Jul 28, 2005

THE PRODIGOON SON

sean10mm posted:

None of the endless space 2 DLC is absolutely must-buy, but they're all pretty ok imo. The hissho and vaulters ones are pretty widely liked. The penumbra one is a little more controversial, but I personally really like the umbral choir and don't mind the espionage. vOv

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Whoops, Endless Space 2, sorry. :haw:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

vosk posted:

None of the endless space 2 DLC is absolutely must-buy, but they're all pretty ok imo.

Seconding this. If they’re not on sale AND you haven’t tried the base game, don’t get any of the DLC until you’ve given the game a thorough shakedown. If you end up liking the core gameplay, then sure, grab what interests you.

The expansions do come with a solid amount of content and new gameplay mechanics but it’s not like the civilization series where people joke about how you should wait for two expansions before the game is even worth your time.

I personally didn’t find ES2 as compelling as EL but I blame that on having different (ancient Master of Orion) expectations for combat than what the developers are going for.

Kaustik
Jun 1, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

Kind of running into the problem where if a strategy game doesn't have a campaign mode, I run out of inspiration...which settings would you recommend to challenge my OP custom Industry/Omniscience civilization without them making the AI overly aggressive during the early game?

Turn off Pirates to have AI go up 2 difficulties without benefiting from their cheat codes. Weak AI lose a lot of momentum due to early pirate spawns.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

sean10mm posted:

Whoops, Endless Space 2, sorry. :haw:

Play the base game extensively before touching dlc. There is a ton of stuff to do in there before layering on even more dlc mechanics

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 3, 2019

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Except maybe the vaulter faction dlc you can get that to start with

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

Play the base game extensively before touching dlc. There is a ton of stuff to do in their before layering on even more dlc mechanics

Yeah the vaulters DLC is fine to start with since all it adds is the vaulters themselves and allows diplomacy with the pirates (which can be quite beneficial when you're starting out.)

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I think when you feel like you've mastered the base game and won with all the factions you are interested in you should get Supremacy, since it mixes the game up in an interesting way.

Don't get the hacking dlc though it blows.

calusari
Apr 18, 2013

It's mechanical. Seems to come at regular intervals.
I really like the music so the DLCs that add more are amazing:

Harmonic Memories
Lost Symphony

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
The last DLC of Endless Space II is really bad. Hacking is just a chore, and the Umbral Choir is not fun to have as an AI in a game or play. Made me lose interest in the game. Well it was getting a bit too easy as endless is not really a challenge
if the early game goes ok. Also a reason I am bored with the game. But the DLC sure didn't make the game more fun.

Hryme fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 14, 2019

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Yeah it’s a dud from conception.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

At least we still have Endless Legend. Still keep going back to that.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Speedball posted:

At least we still have Endless Legend. Still keep going back to that.

Yeah, hoping EL2 improves the AI and tactical battles. Those are the major things holding it back I feel.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rhjamiz posted:

Yeah, hoping EL2 improves the AI and tactical battles. Those are the major things holding it back I feel.

being able to actually control the units in battle would be nice.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Speedball posted:

being able to actually control the units in battle would be nice.

Disagree. Hands off tactical battles are the best part of ES2. Stopping the whole complex strategic layer game for a minigame is boring and annoying.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
As a person who always skips battles in EL anyway (or Total War, or other strategy games), I agree that ES2 made a very interesting and attractive choice by having battles play out on their own. You're not a battlefield admiral giving out orders under fire, and I'm fine with that.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Making the battles hands off is the kind of sensible, restrained design choice that is sorely lacking from the penumbra dlc

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah if they can adapt the ES2 style battles for EL2, and let you basically adjust formations and behaviors and then run a silly little simulation of units charging into melee and flanking and whatnot, I'd be pretty satisfied with that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Penumbra isn't a great DLC, but it's a much better one than Shadows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I quit when I managed to assimilate a minor faction, only to have them instantly disappear from the map. I don't want to be a force for blandness in the galaxy.