Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

I think the current aero kit is good looking, and that livery particularly so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Sage Karam and Indiana are good.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

OhsH posted:

Sage Karam...good.

Show your work.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/arieluyendyk/status/1128494023432212480

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I like to imagine if this were said in front of ANY race driver ever? It would be met with glares and :frogout:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm in a stupid mood but I am wondering about how a few "500" results would have impacted the sport (for better or worse)

-What if Michael Andretti was able to keep Rocket Rick from passing him in 1991?
-What if Nigel Mansell "got the jump" in 1993? How would his win have been viewed globally?
-What if Robby Gordon pulled some sort of "Alexander Rossi"-esque fuel saving out of his rear end in 1999?
-What if "Smoke" would have been able to win in 2001 with the car he had? How is his win viewed by the sport? How is he greeted back in Charlotte by the NASCAR faithful?
-What if PT was given the win in 2002? Are we discussing an end to the "split" several years earlier?
-Does TK win the 500 if the weather was not severe in 2004?
-How would the sport have used Michael or Marco winning in 2006?

I sort of think about these. I actually think with (all due respect to say, Scott Goodyear) the results of 1992, 1995, 2005, 2011 were actually good and were indeed positive for the sport.

I do wonder how "over" the top the sport and the race would have been with some of those result though.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!
End of an era as Hulman & Co. sell Clabber Girl Baking Products

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/b-g-foods-acquires-clabber-120000329.html

Clabber Girl was the company Tony Hulman owned which gave him the ability to purchase the Speedway in 1945. Without Clabber Girl being a regional success in the 30's & 40's, the post-war American racing scene would be entirely different with no Indanapolis Motor Speedway, no Indy 500, no Indycar, no USAC etc.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

I loving love Twitter because of things like this. My favorite instance was some Z-tier "foreign policy expert" getting into an argument about Lithuania or some other eastern European country. This guy throws down his credential of having a BA in history from Weber State or something stupid, while the other guy is the former foreign minister and President of that loving country.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
https://twitter.com/IndyCar/status/1128704779805437953

WindyMan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 15, 2019

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Boy, I had a bad feeling that was going to end up looking like Dixon a couple years ago when he headed for that inside wall.

e- Not exactly apples to oranges but a big hit was what I was worried about anyway.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 15, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Not all that surprised, I figured he'd have a pretty uncomfortable car at first. McLaren have some support from Carlin but they're basically going it alone. Not gonna be easy.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Well, he's got that out of the way...

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jesus, this could've been a lot worse
https://twitter.com/indy44/status/1128768759005474816

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

1998 is a bit of a rough watch from a racing POV.

The broadcast is good. Tom Sneva is a fun color dude and Paul Page...is Paul Page.

But man...a lot of of fun stories got "knocked" out earlier due to the awful package the IRL had during that era.

-Roberto Guerrero and Scott Goodyear trying to finally win it? Out.
-Raul Boesel? Out.
-Jeff Ward? Down several laps.
-MOST IMPORTANTLY? Tony Stewart....out.

That last part stings the worst because he was an insanely important story line to the series and the race itself during that time period.

The field itself isn't -bad-.

-Jack Hewitt, JJ Yeley, Billy Boat, and Tony Stewart are all very talented from their forms of the sport. If you followed "Saturday Night Thunder" during that era? You heard their names.
-Jeff Ward is a Motocross champ and almost won the 500 the year before. Robby Unser while his success at Indy doesn't match his namesake? His success at Pikes Peak sure as hell does.
-Scott Goodyear, Raul Boesel, Eddie Cheever, Roberto Guerrero, Arie Luyendyk, Buddy Lazier and Kenny Brack would have all been in the field under a "unfied" race

But it's really sort of depressing in some ways.

I mean 3 hours and 45 minutes away, the day before?
-CART had FIVE different winners leading into that race (Michael Andretti, Adrian Fernandez, Alex Zanardi, Jimmy Vasser, and Greg Moore)
-Greg Moore ("Red Gloves Rule") was on the pole and the points leader at the time.
-Alex Zanardi wound up winning it.

The most depressing "what if" of that era IMO. At least you know...1996, 1997, and 1999 had interesting finishes to salvage the lack of the CART stars.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 03:38 on May 16, 2019

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Basically, 1998 through 2004 are completely blank. In hindsight, I'm ok keeping it like that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Minto Took posted:

Basically, 1998 through 2004 are completely blank. In hindsight, I'm ok keeping it like that.

I recall 1997-1998ish because I remember riding my bike around in the front yard during rain delays while my dad was annoyed.

1999? Fun finish. Brack winning was cool.
2000 was relatively boring save for the battle between Lazier and Montoya mid-way. But the winner was good. i'm a Juan fan and that was a good day for me.
2001 actually had a half decent field. Penske, Andretti, and Ganassi being back helped big time. Plus there was some drama as to whether Tony Stewart or Michael Andretti would win. Helio winning that was fun.
2002? Is actually one of my favorites to rewatch. That "Field" should have been the actual "vision" of the IRL. Perfect 50/50 split of CART guys and IRL types.

2003? 2004? Eh. I mean AT LEAST we had the "Big players" back at the show full time. 2003 was very embarrassing though. Almost didn't have a FULL FIELD....

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

de Ferran winning is 2003's saving grace

also watching some of the late '80s time trial stuff, and I keep expecting Rich Vogler to look like Rich Vos

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 16, 2019

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Well boys, Rosenqvist and Alonso got their wrecks out the way and ought to have a good showing at the 500.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

de Ferran winning is 2003's saving grace

also watching some of the late '80s time trial stuff, and I keep expecting Rich Vogler to look like Rich Vos

The field itself wasn't bad.

Just felt like the sport wasn't exactly the most healthy at the time. Toyota pretty much saw the lack of attention that race was getting compared to it's NASCAR counterpart and jumped ship.

1998? The next level of bad was how Eddie Cheever was dominating the field. Had it been Foyt or the Menards team? At least people would have gone "Yeah. They're good. They've been good. This what they should be doing" But it wasn't that. This wasn't the "Equal cars, equal playing field" type

I mean Eddie always ran well there, but drat.

You tried to make things equal...ditched turbo, got "cheaper" cars and you still wound up with a 1994 Penske-esque finish. Just...bad.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The only race in that era at all memorable is 2002. TRACY WUZ ROBBED!!!!!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/RealLauraSteele/status/1128475932426166278

:unsmith:

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 16, 2019

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

We made predictions at the beginning of the season, right? Did anyone track those?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Patoooo noooooo

https://twitter.com/adrianfm94/status/1129058803784114176

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Was he unconscious for a moment there? He's clearly not talking on the radio but he looked knocked-out in the frontal pictures.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think he did get his bell rung a bit but I doubt he went full on unconscious. Unresponsive on radio is fairly normal, the radio doesn't always operate after a hit like that. Some drivers have their helmets drat near locked in place with the padding.

He did get checked out and released by the doctors already, but I agree that he looked a bit unsteady climbing out.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sulman posted:

Was he unconscious for a moment there? He's clearly not talking on the radio but he looked knocked-out in the frontal pictures.

His head looks tilted because he has extra padding on the right side.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Big Huski Boi posted:

His head looks tilted because he has extra padding on the right side.

Yes, I noted it is in the same position mid-accident here:
https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/1129071304399892480

Nevertheless, he appears not to remember anything about it which is a little alarming (in terms of concussion injury). I know they'll check out his noggin pretty thoroughly.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sulman posted:

Yes, I noted it is in the same position mid-accident here:
https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/1129071304399892480

Nevertheless, he appears not to remember anything about it which is a little alarming (in terms of concussion injury). I know they'll check out his noggin pretty thoroughly.

They actually have a pretty solid concussion protocol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukh1-Sxa8PQ

Also the UAK18 did EXACTLY what it was supposed to do there. A couple years ago we're talking him going airborne. This kit, nope. You could see the same thing with Nando when he went sideways. The car wanted to lift off but the enhancements they've made to it kept it right side down.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Sanctum > IndyCar 2019: Oooohh...

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Why does it take them like a month of practicing to figure out how to drive around an oval real fast?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Because you need .01 of a second to win it

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Why does it take them like a month of practicing to figure out how to drive around an oval real fast?
I can tell you, in one word:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That and you can potentially DNQ, so yeah, getting your car set up right is key.

You're also going well over 200 mph so all the experience helps.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

230mph average laps on a track about as wide as a street in a 20mph neighborhood.

Also it used to legit be a month. Now it's only four full days before qualifying, assuming none of them are rained out - losing a whole day or more to rain isn't uncommon. They did increase the after-qualifying practice by quite a bit though.

On top of all that, qualifying setups at Indy are significantly different than race setups, so you need time to work both of them out.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Before it was just another stop on the series the 500 was like the big meet up for all the teams so they had to have a month to see who was really fast and who still needed to work. It's silly now but it's tradition.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Before it was just another stop on the series the 500 was like the big meet up for all the teams so they had to have a month to see who was really fast and who still needed to work. It's silly now but it's tradition.

Yep.
That an it pays about as much for the winner as it does to win the whole series title.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
It probably took a whole month back in the day to build up speed, both for the car and driver. Whereas now it's off the hauler and 225+. Must have been quite a terrifying month back in the day.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Tickets back then were also a real challenge to get, so having a month of activity allowed a lot of people to the track who couldn't be there otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/IMS/status/1129416647595450369
https://twitter.com/katiehargitt/status/1129439119355076613