Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

New thought: show bran wargs into Drogon causing him to crash mid flight, killing both him and the dragon. Now Jon has a chance to kill Dany. Yea, this is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

PupsOfWar posted:

There's a lot of characters gooms care about that may not be included in that. I don't think he considers Sandor a main character (which is why I'm cleganebowl-negative), I'm not sure he considers Stannis a main character, etc.

"There were shadows all around. One shadow was dark as ash, with the terrible face of a hound. Another was armored like the sun, golden and beautiful. Over them both loomed a giant in armor made of stone, but when he opened his visor, there was nothing inside but darkness and thick black blood."

Bran confirmed Cleganebowl, except it's Brienne (she has The Hound's helm) and Jaime protecting Arya and Sansa, and not Sandor i m h o

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

ive seen Euron as a champion of the Great Other in fanfic/theorycrafting

Doesn't really seem to fit. Euron's role in the books seems like it could end up being interesting. I mean part of his thing is that he sort of fancies himself a god isn't it?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

PupsOfWar posted:

i flat out do not believe there were budgetary constraints that prevented ice spiders

eight-legged freaks was made with 30 million dollars and that had hundreds of giant spiders in it

d&d are anti-spider idealogues
just look at what they did to varys!

there's a ton of stuff that would have to end differently in the books just for logistical reasons

GRRM did say he only told d&d what happens to main characters, which for him could be a pretty restrictive list

I think GRRM's notion of main characters is...jon, dany, bran, tyrion, sansa, arya, jaime/cersei, anyone else I'm iffy on

There's a lot of characters gooms care about that may not be included in that. I don't think he considers Sandor a main character (which is why I'm cleganebowl-negative), I'm not sure he considers Stannis a main character, etc.

Plausibly, he could have given d&d a list of bulletpoints like:
- Jon is resurrected and then hailed by some northern lords as King in the North
- Dany burns down King's Landing
- Bran becomes the three-eyed crow
- Tyrion gets eaten by a dragon
- Sansa turns the tables on Littlefinger
- Arya becomes a faceless man and kills Walder Frey
- Jaime goes back to Cersei in the end

which is not really giving away that much when u think about it

maybe if you've been reading all along to get the answer to some central question ("who wins the iron throne???") then this would spoil you, but that ain't how i read books

Jaime going back to Cersei in the end seems terrible for his arc, and doesn't make a lot of sense either given the whole Valonqar thing. That's the main show ending so far where I'm like in a hypothetical world where he writes these books is that really how he ends that storyline? Arya killing the Night King also seems like a show only invention, and it's unclear there even will be a Night King in the books.

The rest of the endings that have happened this season seem likely enough for all the characters, though I doubt GRMM would do them in as idiotic a way.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

hobbesmaster posted:

The final scene of the series will be Howland Reed jumping out of bed saying that he'd just had the weirdest dream.

Young Howland Reed. It's been 1 month since the tower of joy: Howland Reed writes a letter to Robert "Hey you need to kill Jon Snow and also the Targ kids are still alive. Take care of this or else everyone dies.

And make some dragonglass arrows. You only need to kill 1 guy."

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
*Darkstar wakes up*

"So that's what would have happened if I never existed, thank you for this vision my guardian angel. MERRY CHRISTMAS YOU SAVINGS AND LOAN!"

e: In this version Darkstar would be played by Jimmy Stewart as well.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 14, 2019

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Ginette Reno posted:

That's the main show ending so far where I'm like in a hypothetical world where he writes these books is that really how he ends that storyline?

Well in the show they kind of half-heartedly try to make it look like he's been convinced Cersei will win the war at the time so maybe that's the angle on it

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

So I guess the choking Cersei to death prophecy isn't in the show? That's loving lame,I was looking forward to Jaime killing her instead of this lame episode about nothing. His arc is the worst.

Also lol, Bran warging into those ravens is going to have been pointless.

Show bad.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
If Jaime's book arc doesn't end with him killing another queen/king I will riot.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
The major characters are easy to figure out. We know that the first thing GRRM thought of was Bran and the direwolves. Then there's Jon and Arya and that thing we don't talk about. Tyrion being in love with Arya. Sansa being a traitor and Dany was added later but the dragons are important so it's......

Bran,Jon,Arya,Tyrion,(maybe) Sansa, Dany. Where those 6 end up is where they'll end up in the books. So if they're dead they're going to die and if they're running something like Sansa in Winterfell they are probably going to be doing that.

Things I'd would've liked to have seen is what's up with the Isle of Faces and what's the Faceless Men whole deal. Unfortunately since those are both tied up in Arya's plotlines I'm kind of poo poo out of luck since GRRM is trying to slow roll the FM's whole deal for some reason.

Pretty much every character associated with a magical plot has a prophecy to go with them except Arya and it's obvious there is one stop dragging it out GRRM .

That's why a lot of people think her chapters a pain to read because you can see weird stuff that goes along with a mystery you aren't getting all the parts to solve so it's like why is this important. Oh no I'm not going to tell you what the 2nd FM's deal is or Arya really wants swim in this specific lake really bad for some reason you'll have to wait and then nothing because George didn't do a timeskip and can't do mini timeskips for some reason

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Cavelcade posted:

So I guess the choking Cersei to death prophecy isn't in the show? That's loving lame,I was looking forward to Jaime killing her instead of this lame episode about nothing. His arc is the worst.

Also lol, Bran warging into those ravens is going to have been pointless.

Show bad.

I thought they had an episode opener where Cersei went to the prophecy lady but I don't remember any of her poo poo besides saying that she wouldn't have any of the kings kids

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

MoaM posted:

If Jaime's book arc doesn't end with him killing another queen/king I will riot.

Sanderson wouldn't do that to the fans.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

there's still an awful lot more Dunk & Egg for gurm to write, if we accept the common fan theory premise that every tall person in westeros is descended from Dunk

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

MoaM posted:

Imagine if he kills Euron and then Cersei. TRIPLE MONARCHSLAYER!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Triple Monarch Slayer is my favorite Halo multiplayer mode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Imagine if he kills Euron and then Cersei. TRIPLE MONARCHSLAYER!

KING-TACULAR

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

PupsOfWar posted:

there's still an awful lot more Dunk & Egg for gurm to write, if we accept the common fan theory premise that every tall person in westeros is descended from Dunk

Sansa is Dunk's great granddaughter?!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Deptfordx posted:

I went to a museum a while back and they had all these great religious paintings that are wonderfully anachronistic.

Roman soldiers looking like medieval knights, important figures dressed in medieval finery etc etc.

There was one in DC that pictured Roman soldiers as carrying medieval/renaissance weapons (halberds, greatswords, etc) but wandering around more or less naked.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

MikeJF posted:

The Other invasion certainly isn't going to end the same way, there isn't a present-day Night King at all in the books as far as it seems so far, the Others are an entire people.

The books also mention things like how when Mance was breaking open tombs to find the Horn of Blasting the wildlings released things they shouldn't have, which always to me sounded like "we hosed up and broke seals the Children placed that locked away the Others." But the Others in the book also don't appear to have Mass Raise Dead and actually have to do more than be next to a corpse to make a wight.

They'll probably have a leader of some kind, even if they aren't all Ice Vampires who die when their sire is killed.

PupsOfWar posted:

ep 6 devolves into a battle royale between characters that never made it into the show, and characters that were in the show but who were forgotten about long ago

Darkstar, Howland Reed, and JonCon squaring off against Salladhor Saan, Olyvar, and Edmure

BAH GAWD, THAT'S STRONG BELWAS'S MUSIC!

Randarkman posted:

Doesn't really seem to fit. Euron's role in the books seems like it could end up being interesting. I mean part of his thing is that he sort of fancies himself a god isn't it?

Didn't one of the preview chapters mention Euron has a suit of Valyerian steel armor, and damphair had a vision/dream about Euron killing a god?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

quote:

The dreams were even worse the second time. He saw the longships of the Ironborn adrift and burning on a boiling, bloodred sea. He saw his brother on the Iron Throne again, but Euron was no longer human. He seemed more squid than man, a monster fathered by a kraken of the deep, his face a mass of writhing tentacles. Beside him stood a shadow in woman’s form, long and tall and terrible, her hands alive with pale white fire. Dwarves capered for their amusement, male and female, locked in carnal, biting and tearing at each other as Euron and his mate laughed and laughed and laughed.

Aeron dreamed of drowning, too. What was the bliss that surely followed down in the Drowned God’s watery halls, it was the terror that even the faithful feel as the water fills their mouth and nose and lungs they cannot draw breath.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't see the episode, but didn't Euron have a dragon horn or something? Whatever happened with that thing?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I know it's fascile obvious expectations subversion 101 but I do appreciate how the only true knight, or at least the one person to truly understand knighthood and what chivalry is about in this poo poo series is the mauled murderous mercenary

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kylaer posted:

What's worse is that they must already know how to do this, since they've been doing it for Kit Harington this whole time.

yeah couldn't they just have had a normal sized dog? would have looked giant next to him.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

when you spend your CGI budget on fake endings to fool reddit and you forget to put some money aside for the direwolf

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Randarkman posted:

I think it burned off in the books? Also are Targaryens suppossed to be like 100% fireproof all the time (is Jon possibly less fireproof than Dany? Was Robert Baratheon fireproof? He has some Targ blood from a couple generations back), it kind of seems to me like it might be more of a magic thing that works in the proper context and poo poo. Dunno.

She was naked bald etc in books. Targs aren't at all fireproof - that was added by the show for some reason. In the books I believe she survives and dragons hatch because of blood magic. She kills Carl Jr, and burns the witch alive.

Man it's impossible to find old SOIAF poo poo - any image search is so overwhelmed by hbo stuff.

edit here we go. Enjoy being on a watchlist because she's 14 or whatever in the book.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 15, 2019

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kcroy posted:

I didn't see the episode, but didn't Euron have a dragon horn or something? Whatever happened with that thing?

its a valyrian slaver horn that controls people not dragons and euron uses it to convince the ironborn to crown him

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

esperterra posted:

I would imagine there being something like another pact having to be made, tbh. Which would give a reason for the Night's Watch to still exist after the wall falls, and give a reason for Jon's ending to potentially be 'rejoins the Night's Watch'. If that was a GURM given ending and not a D&D thing, then the Night's Watch still exists or gets reformed for some raisin

There's one cool theory I saw where the Night King marriage story in the book was actually a corrupted tale of what all the marriages in the show are - a political union to seal a treaty. In this case, an uneasy agreement to end the war. The Last Hero managed to find the Children, they were able to mediate a peace, the Others and Humans drew a line across the continent, and then the Others used their ice magic to raise an impossible wall and mankind set a watch upon it.

And then ten thousand years passed and humanity forgot about the pact and inadvertently violated it and now the Others are responding.

Evil Fluffy posted:

The books also mention things like how when Mance was breaking open tombs to find the Horn of Blasting the wildlings released things they shouldn't have, which always to me sounded like "we hosed up and broke seals the Children placed that locked away the Others."

It seems like they were already afraid of the others and planning to flee south by the time they were cracking open the tombs.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 15, 2019

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

scary ghost dog posted:

its a valyrian slaver horn that controls people not dragons and euron uses it to convince the ironborn to crown him

no poo poo? man I totally missed that. I thought he just showed it off, did they state that in the show?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kcroy posted:

no poo poo? man I totally missed that. I thought he just showed it off, did they state that in the show?

its not in the show and its not explained in the books but at the kingsmoot right after he gets a guy to blow it (blowing it kills u) everyone shuts up and votes for him. then he gives it to victarion who is bringing it to meereen. thats everything about the dragon horn

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
did u not read the books or somethijng

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Now that I think about it, it’s probably super likely that Melisandre sacrifices Shireen to bring back Jon snow from the dead, making his “second life” all the more morally grey, which is by DnD couldn’t do it.

Also because they hate Stannis. The fuckers

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

scary ghost dog posted:

its not in the show and its not explained in the books but at the kingsmoot right after he gets a guy to blow it (blowing it kills u) everyone shuts up and votes for him. then he gives it to victarion who is bringing it to meereen. thats everything about the dragon horn

Except you forgot when the red priest tells him about the dragon horn.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

He was talking abut the show did u not read the post or something

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Except you forgot when the red priest tells him about the dragon horn.

i dont trust red priests

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

A Typical Goon posted:

He was talking abut the show did u not read the post or something

sorry thoigght i was posting in the book thread......ill show myself out

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Calaveron posted:

I know it's fascile obvious expectations subversion 101 but I do appreciate how the only true knight, or at least the one person to truly understand knighthood and what chivalry is about in this poo poo series is the mauled murderous mercenary

brienne is a mauled murderous mercenary???

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PupsOfWar posted:

brienne is a mauled murderous mercenary???

I think they meant to say "the only one that understands the reality of knighthood" is Bronn. Brienne is the only one that truly believes in the principles of knighthood.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i thought it was in reference to the Hound??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taxenema
Feb 17, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

I mean poo poo. Dragons seem way loving worse than anything those zomboys ever did.

In a way the zombies were at peace. So maybe they were just trying to bring peace to Westeros... because that is the only way the living will ever have peace and be free of what they fear most (death) and since they don’t want to or can’t embrace death... death is trying to embrace them.