Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

YouTube everyone!

Edit: Tweet was deleted. Here's link to the article

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/youtubes-newest-far-right-foul-mouthed-red-pilling-star-is

Niwrad fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Highly respect the grift, scamming Republicans at such a young age.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

CuddleCryptid posted:

That she apparently poo poo on Muslims for doing something to 'please an ancient Canaanite god' is the most unintentionally hilarious thing I've heard today.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm not so sure its a grift, rather just a neglected and unloved child lashing out.

quote:

“Susan, I’ve known your address since last summer,” Soph said, directly addressing YouTube CEO Susan Wojicki. “I’ve got a Luger and a mitochondrial disease. I don’t care if I live, why should I care if you live or your children? I just called an Uber. You’ve got about seven minutes to draft up a will. . .I’m coming for you and it ain’t gonna be pretty.”

A far-right child comedian threatening to murder the executive of the video site that has made her famous, for trying to protect her from pedophiles: The state of YouTube in 2019. (YouTube did not offer a comment for this story.)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh yea, Alia Atedries would totally be a right wing you tuber.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Hm, they deleted that tweet. Afraid the kid was gonna get harassed?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Dr. Faustus posted:

It took me awhile to get the BBC political interview style.

I know. It was "So, here's a thing you wrote and said that perhaps you'd like to clarify or comment on? What did you mean by that exactly?"

Shapiro: "WHAAA! Gotcha journalism with an agenda!

"Well, no, I was just quoting things you actually said and it seems to me that..."

Shapiro: "This interview is over"

Asking someone about things they've actually said, Tweeted or written in their own books = gotcha journalism. Highly unprofessional of that BBC right leaning dude. Thank go he didn't have the audacity to ask Ben what books, newspapers or magazines he might have read.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lycus posted:

Hm, they deleted that tweet. Afraid the kid was gonna get harassed?

Not sure. Here is the article.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/josephbernstein/youtubes-newest-far-right-foul-mouthed-red-pilling-star-is

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

YouTube will respond by recommending the video to everyone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

"This video is horrible and shocking and terrible, we better share a link to it and talk about how edgy and shocking she is"

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

greazeball posted:

you left off the best reply

Man I wish I had seen this sooner, it just totally calls for that Preacher "Where the gently caress is your chin?" panel.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

"This video is horrible and shocking and terrible, we better share a link to it and talk about how edgy and shocking she is"

Destiny debated her a month ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PULTP-m9nYw

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

BiggerBoat posted:

I know. It was "So, here's a thing you wrote and said that perhaps you'd like to clarify or comment on? What did you mean by that exactly?"

Shapiro: "WHAAA! Gotcha journalism with an agenda!

"Well, no, I was just quoting things you actually said and it seems to me that..."

Shapiro: "This interview is over"

Asking someone about things they've actually said, Tweeted or written in their own books = gotcha journalism. Highly unprofessional of that BBC right leaning dude. Thank go he didn't have the audacity to ask Ben what books, newspapers or magazines he might have read.

Just once, just loving once I want one of these conservative grifters to try to pull out of an interview only for a pair of armed guards to step in and aim guns at their head. The interviewer would then smile politely and say, "Now answer the question, please. And be honest. Be thorough."

Like, it'd be wrong, and yet another sign of the breakdown of our societal norms, but don't tell me you wouldn't bust a gut laughing as Ben had to stammer and cry his way through an interview knowing he was at the mercy of the very same pseudo-fascist insanity he was helping to propagate.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's the same schadenfreude as the FBI getting the McCarthy treatment. It's terrible that the FBI is going to be investigated for "colluding with the DOJ," but if anyone in the world deserves to be victim of a rogue law enforcement action...

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I really can't tell if this is supposed to be satire or not

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I will never understand the V fixation. He literally and plainly is against exactly what the chuds want.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I will never understand the V fixation. He literally and plainly is against exactly what the chuds want.

It's like a lot of dystopic fiction. Chuds won't admit that they actually support the bad guys in the movie, but if you laid out the party's views outside of that context then they would agree wholeheartedly.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They have a massive persecution complex and imagine themselves as III%er freedom fighters against liberal/feminist/gay/Muslim/immigrant tyranny.

They don't understand or pay attention to the actual politics of the movie, they just fill in their imaginary persecutors as the regime and fantasize about their cool poetry and trick gunshots awakening the masses who spill out into the streets and immediately intimidate all their enemies into giving up.

And yeah if you handed them a manifesto detailing exactly the Anglofascist government's position without saying whose it was they would agree with every word and insist that it's what V wanted.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

twistedmentat posted:

They all are, really; each of those figures is explicitly anti-establishment in some way, which is what they all WANT to believe they are, reality notwithstanding.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sorry, I only recognize V for Vendetta and Joker from Smash Bros.

mountaincat
May 8, 2017

The first part is about sand-
wiches. The second part is
about morality.
I have been reading some essays by Pat Buchanan recently, and a key concept for him is the American national identity. Does anyone know what he might mean by this? Other conservatives talk about it as well, generally in the context of bemoaning its loss. It sounds like nostalgic 1950s mythology to me. Even so, it would be helpful to have a sketch of what it means.

So far the key elements I have found are the English language, principles of limited government, and Christianity. Anglo-Saxon heritage is also mentioned, but it is disputed.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
You nailed it on the head but you can just sum it up as "white supremacy"

American national identity, as in, identifying strongly with the nation and the welfare of its people, is pretty strong, but non-white people get to participate and people like Pat Robertson don't like it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I was looking at this on my phone and at first I thought guy#3 was Dennis from Always Sunny

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sorry, I only recognize V for Vendetta and Joker from Smash Bros.

I think Alex from A Clockwork Orange and Tyler Durden.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

I think Alex from A Clockwork Orange and Tyler Durden.
Charlie Kirk, joker, Tyler durden , v for vendetta

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Reminder: Rush Limbaugh once unironically praised Robin Hood.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Tarezax posted:

You nailed it on the head but you can just sum it up as "white supremacy"

American national identity, as in, identifying strongly with the nation and the welfare of its people, is pretty strong, but non-white people get to participate and people like Pat Robertson don't like it

It's white supremacy yes, but nationalism is about seeing the entire world (as well as race) in terms of competitive prestige. No other nation is allowed to be "better" or even equal to America. You hear this kind of thing with conservatives talking about "American exceptionalism" all the time. American politicians constantly talk about how we have a destiny to lead the world and be better than everyone else, as a Shining City on a Hill with our superiority established through struggle and conflict. We are not supposed to see ourselves as part of some great shared humanity. We are supposed to see ourselves as part of the Nation. One People, One Nation, One Fuhrer. The concept of having strong national borders are a part of this. The nation is a distinct entity that must be kept pure and we are all to identify ourselves as an extension of this one big nation. If you insult America in front of a nationalist or fascist, they will take it as personal insult even if it's not directed personally at them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

mountaincat posted:

I have been reading some essays by Pat Buchanan recently, and a key concept for him is the American national identity. Does anyone know what he might mean by this? Other conservatives talk about it as well, generally in the context of bemoaning its loss. It sounds like nostalgic 1950s mythology to me. Even so, it would be helpful to have a sketch of what it means.

So far the key elements I have found are the English language, principles of limited government, and Christianity. Anglo-Saxon heritage is also mentioned, but it is disputed.

It's a weird thing because if a country doesn't have some kind of cohesive identity it is going to fall apart. If there isn't some collective idea of "this is us and we're all in this together" things get really unstable. Having a national identity in and of itself isn't a bad thing; it's basically necessary if you want to keep a country together.

But yeah the conservatives of the country are always pining for a fantasy version of the 19th century or 1950's that never really existed in the first place. Even then the 1950's in particular were a post-war boom largely caused by the fact that the U.S. was mostly untouched by the war. While everybody else was rebuilding we had a totally solid industrial base so guess where people came when they wanted to buy a bunch of poo poo. That prosperity gets propagandized into "it's obvious that our vision of America is the superior one that causes a lot of prosperity AMERICAN EXCEPTIONALISM YEEEAAAAHHHHH!!!" Well...no. That was mostly stupid luck. America's decisions did help win WW2 but even so that wasn't America doing it entirely alone. It was a group effort from all of the allies. They also tend to just conveniently forget about things like the French and Polish resistances that were a huge thorn for the Nazis. And, you know, we gloss over how much of an abhorrent monster Stalin was because he was on our side during those years. But anyway...

Your white supremacists and nationalists flock to that because they like to claim that white people 100% caused the victory and the prosperity. WW2 in particular saw a gently caress load of minorities and women rising up through the work force out of pure necessity. That was a time when black rights in particular got ratcheted up as the government basically said "yeah we'll vomit huge piles of money on your company if you build the poo poo we need but there's a few rules that come with it..." The prosperity of the 50's also had a tendency to not help minority racial populations as much and the racism of the past was starting to crop up again so that's where we got the civil rights movement of the 60's. By that point the rest of the world was doing a good job of rebuilding so America started seeing more competition. Then all the bullshit of the 70's happened and a hell of a lot of people were saying "gently caress, let's go back to the 50's." Then the 80's and the continuing decline all happened and...yeah. The prosperity of the 1950's is tantalizing as hell so it's easy to say "things would be perfect if we just did things the way we did back then." The big snag is that things were really only great if you were a not poor white person. Segregation was still a thing and women who went to college were expected to get a degree in Husband Finding. A lot of people have very good reasons to not want the 1950's back.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I remember growing up in the MidWest as a dumb, protected white kid who thought we were already post-racial (lol) in the 70s.

Moving to the South was a big, seismic shock to that idea. But even then, I believed the words on the Statue of Liberty and the "School House Rock" concept that our strength was we are a huge melting-pot actually meant something.

More fool me.

It was lip-service then, and it's far less than that now.

Other concepts that died during this time were "Unions are good" and "Healthcare should be for everyone." This post is me volunteering to be on the chopping block. "I meant well."

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
catholic paleocon white nationalists like pat buchanan have always mystified me because you guys are going to the gas chambers too buddy that's how this works

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I just realized I confused Pat Buchanan with Pat Robertson. They're both old crazy conservative white dudes, but the former is catholic and the latter is evangelical

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

The Muppets On PCP posted:

catholic paleocon white nationalists like pat buchanan have always mystified me because you guys are going to the gas chambers too buddy that's how this works

This is part of why they go hard for the white identity poo poo. It's like how capitalists build the middle class as a buffer so that workers don't band together over common class interest. If they can get enough protestants, evangelicals, and mormons to fight on the white identity side then they don't have to worry about being persecuted as catholics. It's all about fighting over who gets to draw the cultural battle lines.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ivan Shitskin posted:

If you insult America in front of a nationalist or fascist, they will take it as personal insult even if it's not directed personally at them.

This is true, but also includes some exceptions. You can have someone who is absurdly patriotic without being a nationalist. A more workable definition is someone who uses the idea that their country is the best in the world to justify their actions. "America is the best in the world, *therefore* it's good for us to drive native Americans into reserves because it is our destiny to advance".

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

mountaincat posted:

This is an actual historical thing and not just the usual ahistorical right-wing drivel, but to write of it longingly with no irony is disturbing.

I’m not really an expert, but I know a very small amount about it. Post-Revolution Americans had an identity crisis when they felt they needed to differentiate themselves from Britons and others. They were a country, they needed a cultural identity. And while everyone knew they were different, as in all empires, being different from the Britons was generally a negative trait. So American English wasn’t just different, it was viewed as less refined. Similarly for tea culture, academics, etc.

So Americans set out to define a national identity by publishing lots of essays and dictionaries and IIRC, drinking coffee instead of tea and so on.

But obviously of course a huge chunk of what made us Us back then was our virulent racism, so that’s part of it too, and that’s why we shouldn’t be celebrating our Nationals Identity like that.

EDIT: this kind of sounds like I’m defending it. Basically, yes it is mostly racism with a couple of really inconsequential other things thrown in. It did exist in the past but that means that best case, he’s thinking like a racist 18th Century person.

Mineaiki fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 15, 2019

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

ErIog posted:

This is part of why they go hard for the white identity poo poo. It's like how capitalists build the middle class as a buffer so that workers don't band together over common class interest. If they can get enough protestants, evangelicals, and mormons to fight on the white identity side then they don't have to worry about being persecuted as catholics. It's all about fighting over who gets to draw the cultural battle lines.
It's also why abortion is such a big issue for them - it's a way to get Catholics and Evangelicals fighting on the same side.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/josh_hammer/status/1128049089239748608
https://mobile.twitter.com/josh_hammer/status/1128049507550232581

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Regressives are just as prone to circular firing squads and purity purges as the left, they just don't typically do it during the general election/confirmation.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best part is the guy in the replies whining about einsehower putting warren on the court. y'know the guy widely considered one of, if not, the greatest justices in history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I haven't hard or seen much RWM commentary on the draconian Alabama abortion law. I'm sure there's some hot takes about State's rights and how the liberal media is lying about what the bill does.