Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
lol, bitfinex's lawyers are amazing

quote:

Tether’s business model depends on it making investments and asset purchases with the proceeds it derives from selling tethers. If it simply held the proceeds in cash, the company would not earn the money required to fund its operations.

quote:

While Tether is a profitable company that generally does not spend more than it earns, there is not a separate account earmarked “non-reserve” from which ordinary course expenses are paid. Money is fungible. Accordingly, determining whether payments are from reserves or not is fraught with ambiguity and would be a recipe for future conflict with OAG. More fundamentally, while Tether does not anticipate that it will suddenly become unprofitable, OAG’s language would potentially require the company to cut off salary and other ordinary course payments in any given period if, for whatever reason, there was insufficient profit (again, with all the ambiguity that entails). It is simply not the OAG’s purview to micromanage Tether’s business in this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

...! posted:

if only they used triple entry accounting :sigh:

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

lol omg "well duh, of course our investments and operating expenses are irrevocably commingled with the cash reserves that are backing tethers. we wouldn't have a business model otherwise!"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The ol' "sure my client did it, but it wasn't illegal" defense for something that was clearly illegal.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Boxturret posted:

what's their so called third entry again?

love

...! posted:

"money is fungible" sounds like the FinReg equivalent of freeman on the land

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
"Money is fun, guy!" has a 100% court case winrate I'm not sure why business don't use that argument more :shrug:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i'm the $1,000 payment from theymos to the forum maintainer for fixing issues such as "after the last update when editing a post you cannot view the entire text of the post"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

i just love the whole "if you make us do these things, then any time we decide that we're making 'insufficient profit', we just won't pay our employees or any of our bills. what do you think about that, smart guys? :smugbert:" argument

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Waddya mean we're not allowed to dip into client funds to make up the difference if our revenue doesn't cover our operating costs?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Jabor posted:

Waddya mean we're not allowed to dip into client funds to make up the difference if our revenue doesn't cover our operating costs?

waddya mean we need a way to make revenue besides gambling with client funds and then paying them back when we win?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Jabor posted:

that's where the third entry comes in

when the debits and credits don't match, that's the bitcoin

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

...! posted:

More fundamentally, while Tether does not anticipate that it will suddenly become unprofitable, OAG’s language would potentially require the company to cut off salary and other ordinary course payments in any given period if, for whatever reason, there was insufficient profit (again, with all the ambiguity that entails).
lol, they're literally arguing that they should be able to operate a pyramid scheme

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
someone gave us a lot of very fungible money. and i tell ya, we funged that money. funged it reeeaaal good. so what's the problem??

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Learn, Grow, and Appreciate. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 4 hours ago by throwthisawaynow0redditor for 4 weeks

I was a barista at starbucks before I was introduced to cryptocurrency on July of 2017. I was talking to another worker as I was making some ones drink. A regular customer that I talk too when he comes in, heard me tell the worker I wanted to switch programs for university (I was studying Computer Science and graduated).

The customer told me "sorry for being nosy, but I heard you are switching from Computer Science. May I ask why? That stuff is interesting."

I told him that it drives me nuts already in school, so I can't see myself doing this stuff as a day to day job in the future.

He took his drink and sat down. I took my break and I saw him reading a book on blockchains. He asked if I know anything about distributed ledgers? Lol I said All I know was Bitcoin had something to do with it. Then I asked, do you think I should buy some? He laughed and said well you're asking a customer having a coffee on investment advice. He told me to read up on blockchains, Bitcoin and the different ways of storing them; and the next time I come Ill ask you some questions and I'll tell you.

The smirk on his face made me feel that he wanted to tell to buy for some reason. I ended up buying bitcoin a few days later, then I noticed there was thousands of cryptocurrencies. I am new, so I didn't know. I thought it was just bitcoin lol. Since I already bought some bitcoin, I started reading up on the rest.

Next time he came in, he asked me if I did some reading and I said yes. So he asked me a few questions, pretty basic questions. Got the answers right and then told me he will be sitting here to drink his coffee.

So we chatted for a bit but I was really wanting to buy other cryptocurrencies when I realized there was more than bitcoin out there. He was insisting I stay in Bitcoin because I was new to this stuff and to make sure I know the difference with Bitcoin and others that had the word Bitcoin. I remember him describing it as a "digital referendum". I picked up on a few names of other cryptocurrencies he mentioned (not going to talk about them because this is a Bitcoin subreddit).

November 2017 comes around and I am in shock. I never had that type of wealth before.

The next time he came in, he came in laughing. I kept telling him how I am having a hard time believing what I am seeing. Obviously I asked him the holy question, when should I sell? His answer was, this is all because of a hype around a tradition exchange called CME, that wanted to integrate Bitcoin Futures, maybe when those futures go live? Who knows? And literally leaves.

So I did exactly that. I realized I never thanked him. I really appreciated someone talking to me like that. I was a foster child, I never had such a conversation that helped my life in a positive way. The next time I saw him, I thanked him so much that I was embarrassed. I asked how can I return this to show appreciation? Can I give you some money? He giggled and asked how old I was. I said 23. Then he asked if I was going to quit. I said yeah soon! He said don't. He told the only way I can return this favour is if I sponsored a child from an organization that sent pictures of the things they bought the poor child with your money. Analyze the picture, and look at how much they appreciate it and what you did for that child. The freaky part is, he does not know that I was a foster child. I said I will but can I pay you. He said he didn't need my money. He told me, remember our talk about education? I said yes. He said, maybe learn about programming blockchains or use the technical skills to do research on Bitcoin. "Education is not a paper, its a resource that you can use however you want."

...!
Oct 5, 2003

lol, that pomp guy debated kevin o'leary about bitcoin on cnbc this morning. apparently kevin must have destroyed him because the bitcoin faithful are enraged. tons of angry tweets and reddit posts. among other things they're lumping him in with buffett in the "old guys who know nothing about investing and will soon be begging us for table scraps when their fake fiat becomes worthless aaaaaaaany day now" category

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

love

"money is fungible" sounds like the FinReg equivalent of freeman on the land

*sprinting into thread* i triple-entry-bookkept urmom last night if you know what i mean :giggity:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Weatherman posted:

*sprinting into thread* i triple-entry-bookkept urmom last night if you know what i mean :giggity:

:birdhunk:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Boxturret posted:

what's their so called third entry again?
FUNDS_NOT_FOUND

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Weatherman posted:

yeah she said she’d never seen someone mine a block so fast with so little hardware before

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

...! posted:

lol, that pomp guy debated kevin o'leary about bitcoin on cnbc this morning. apparently kevin must have destroyed him because the bitcoin faithful are enraged. tons of angry tweets and reddit posts. among other things they're lumping him in with buffett in the "old guys who know nothing about investing and will soon be begging us for table scraps when their fake fiat becomes worthless aaaaaaaany day now" category

this sounds good can someone do the needful and post a you-tube dot com video

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Hammerite posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/14/mr-wonderful-kevin-oleary-calls-bitcoin-garbage.html

this isn't it but it does have a great "bitcoin ALERT" cgi graphic

also FYI, bitcoin is a digital

quote:

“People should understand today the hot digital is bitcoin,” O’Leary added. “Tomorrow it could be whatever.”

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Hammerite posted:

found this

"Try and do a transaction of $100,000 in Bitcoin. I tried to do some real estate in Switzerland with it once. It is a useless currency. It is a useless currency."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/14/mr-wonderful-kevin-oleary-calls-bitcoin-garbage.html

chain reorg: https://www.cnbc.com/video/2019/05/14/watch-shark-tanks-kevin-oleary-challenge-the-bull-case-for-bitcoin.html <-- the debate, just watching now

further chain reorg: Pomp talks disconnected fragments of bitcoin maximalist evangelism in a confident-sounding voice, O'Leary describes real things and events like a sensible person. No wonder the coiners are pissed off, their best talking points don't actually work outside the echo chamber.

divabot fucked around with this message at 10:33 on May 15, 2019

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

actual sales pitch posted:

We're going to make a coin where it truly pays to HODL. You should NOT participate in this project if you are just looking for another pump and dump ponzi scheme, this is not one of those.

We intend to get this coin listed on EXCHANGES - So if you know anyone who works for one, drop us a line.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

like literally the explicit purpose of an exchange is to facilitate not hodling, and the functional purpose is to enable pump and dump ponzi schemes.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

KnifeWrench posted:

lol omg "well duh, of course our investments and operating expenses are irrevocably commingled with the cash reserves that are backing tethers. we wouldn't have a business model otherwise!"
"...but we're not a bank or any other financial institute that might be using their depositor's assets with which to fund investments, we're not like them for [blob of wite-out and multiple furious strikeouts scribbled in] and therefore we should not be regulated as such."

this is amazing in how bad this is, i mean this is theo chino bad, you should have your law license revoked for ineptitude this bad

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

"look yer honor, it's not my fault that this money found its way into my pocket and ipso facto once it's in my pocket it's my money and i can do whatever by the napoleonic code! whaddya mean the cops are sayin' i lied to get that money? dey don't know nuttin'! all i'm sayin' is that dis here jackson in my wallet, yer can't prove anythin' wit that! same as any other jackson on the street in some poor schlub's pocket. just cuz you have telephone logs and documents showin' my promise to buy groceries for ol' lady jeannie don't mean nuttin'! a man's gotta be free to bet on the ponies, ya know what i'm sayin'?"

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Lol Pomp was arguing that the cops love Bitcoin, because criminal activity is traceable.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
brb, buying more crypto digital

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I prefer analog crypto for the warmer feeling.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i suppose quantum crypto is analog

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Lambert posted:

I prefer analog crypto for the warmer feeling.

scratch offs?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
that pomp guy is like the jacob wohl of bitcoin, but he's on cnbc being taken seriously lol

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

kw0134 posted:

"...but we're not a bank or any other financial institute that might be using their depositor's assets with which to fund investments, we're not like them for [blob of wite-out and multiple furious strikeouts scribbled in] and therefore we should not be regulated as such."

this is amazing in how bad this is, i mean this is theo chino bad, you should have your law license revoked for ineptitude this bad

The lawyer version of mycrimes.txt.

The response is gonna be great. :allears:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

that pomp guy is like the jacob wohl of bitcoin, but he's on cnbc being taken seriously lol

Pomp and Circumtowel

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1128680623051173888

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
this Ross Ulbricht fella seems like a real piece of poo poo!!!

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

Pomp talks disconnected fragments of bitcoin maximalist evangelism in a confident-sounding voice

im shocked that motivational bitcoin tweet a day twiter man speaks entirely in motivational bitcoin tweets

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

like genuinely i thought he was a robot

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
he’s got more of a tan than i thought he would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixie Cretin Seaman