Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How passable are the Balkans anyways? Some mountain ranges have all sorts of stories of how treacherously impassable they can be, but it seems like through history people just flow over and around the Balkans like they're nothing.

A Bunch of Dorks posted:

Computer-generated essays

Every time I see one of these, I feel like I've forgotten how to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Danube is kind of a big deal in the Balkans.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

SlothfulCobra posted:

How passable are the Balkans anyways? Some mountain ranges have all sorts of stories of how treacherously impassable they can be, but it seems like through history people just flow over and around the Balkans like they're nothing.

Peter Heather’s “The Fall of the Roman Empire” has a pretty good section on Balkan topography, in the context of Valens’ Gothic War specifically and why it took the Romans so long to beat an “army” which had no clear strategic goals or system of support. It’s kind of hard to explain his points clearly without a map in front of you but essentially, it’s quite hard to go north-south across the Balkan and Rhodope Mountains on foot, and even harder to go west-east across the Dinaric Alps. There’s only a handful of easy natural paths through the Balkan high country and they all kind of run NW-SE. The Romans had made another couple that went W-E but it was still difficult to move large groups of people around in the face of determined opposition holding the mountain passes. Whoever holds the passes (and there’s not many of any size) controls the flow of people through the Balkan region. Whenever there was not sufficient Roman force concentrated in the Balkans to do this, you see barbarians sweeping through the passes and wrecking poo poo with relative impunity.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

skasion posted:

Peter Heather’s “The Fall of the Roman Empire” has a pretty good section on Balkan topography, in the context of Valens’ Gothic War specifically and why it took the Romans so long to beat an “army” which had no clear strategic goals or system of support. It’s kind of hard to explain his points clearly without a map in front of you but essentially, it’s quite hard to go north-south across the Balkan and Rhodope Mountains on foot, and even harder to go west-east across the Dinaric Alps. There’s only a handful of easy natural paths through the Balkan high country and they all kind of run NW-SE. The Romans had made another couple that went W-E but it was still difficult to move large groups of people around in the face of determined opposition holding the mountain passes. Whoever holds the passes (and there’s not many of any size) controls the flow of people through the Balkan region. Whenever there was not sufficient Roman force concentrated in the Balkans to do this, you see barbarians sweeping through the passes and wrecking poo poo with relative impunity.

Another good example is the fate of Nicephorus I against the Bulgars.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

Another good example is the fate of Nicephorus I against the Bulgars.

Good example of skull based winecups and the importance of controlling the Balkan passes.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for the 1491 rec, it’s really good so far! Also mostly very depressing— I’m currently in the “long discussion of how brutal epidemics decimated everyone” section. I guess this is a downside of a lot of information about cultures coming in large part from the people who ended them.

E: it’s also just really interesting in general how different this is from what I was taught in high school, pretty much the only time I took classes covering this

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Tunicate posted:

Try putting "The Roman empire fell in the year" as input to talktotransformer. It has some spicy takes.

The Roman Empire fell in 14CAD and its rulers were executed. But the Roman emperor Vespasian returned and in a dramatic coup he sent the emperors, Constantine the Great and his father Trajan, to try and restore order. They failed so badly and their successor, Antoninus Pius IX, declared himself emperor of Rome on 25 May 14BC.

The reign of Antoninus Pius IX was short-lived. He was killed in 15 March 1521 in a private engagement, leaving a legacy to the new emperor who succeeded him as emperor, Valentinian Pope, as well as the Roman papacy.

The rise of the Roman Emperors

There was a strong tradition among the Roman political leaders in the first 50 years of the reign.

It began with Constantine the Great in 325AD, when he came to rule the Byzantine Empire with his father in Constantinople. But by his fifth year in office his father was dead – Antoninus Pius IX was the last of the emperors of the Empire, his father dead of a gunshot wound to the head.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Man I may be able to go to work in Naples for a year starting in January. Get my orders in late June if it’s gonna happen.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

The Roman Empire fell in 14CAD and its rulers were executed. But the Roman emperor Vespasian returned and in a dramatic coup he sent the emperors, Constantine the Great and his father Trajan, to try and restore order. They failed so badly and their successor, Antoninus Pius IX, declared himself emperor of Rome on 25 May 14BC.

The reign of Antoninus Pius IX was short-lived. He was killed in 15 March 1521 in a private engagement, leaving a legacy to the new emperor who succeeded him as emperor, Valentinian Pope, as well as the Roman papacy.

The rise of the Roman Emperors

There was a strong tradition among the Roman political leaders in the first 50 years of the reign.

It began with Constantine the Great in 325AD, when he came to rule the Byzantine Empire with his father in Constantinople. But by his fifth year in office his father was dead – Antoninus Pius IX was the last of the emperors of the Empire, his father dead of a gunshot wound to the head.

I don't know why but this phrase just made me read the whole thing in the voice of Donald Trump. It sounds like the sort of thing he might say, tbh

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

quote:

The Roman empire rose in the year 50 B.C. with the conquest of the Eastern Mediterranean. Rome was a new world power with vast ambitions, and its early history is one of dynastic rivalry between two principal rulers – Pompey the Elder and Severus the Magnificent. Rome was defeated and annexed in 54 B.C. – by Heraclius the son of Tiberius, also a grandson of Julius Caesar, who defeated Heraclius' ally, Marcus Octavius. Although Pompey was deposed by the victorious Octavius in 56, Augustus became emperor and restored the Republic to Rome. In 62, the Roman Legions defeated the Parthians, who were advancing on Rome's western shores. The Romans won the civil war, the war at the Peloponnesus and their victory in the Second Punic War, defeating the enemy at Thermopylae. They defeated Parthian armies and conquered the area south of the Black Sea by the year 106.

In 120 B.C., the army of Alexander the Great invaded the Roman Empire to challenge Roman law

Makes sense.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

quote:

The Roman Empire fell in the year 52. But in that, and the beginning of the fifth century, there appeared to be very little opposition to any change brought about by the pope. But the people, especially the poor, opposed it and feared that it would soon destroy them.

A great number of Roman people were condemned to death. But when they found out that they were condemned, a great many of them took refuge in the church which the emperor had built. Some were put to death in the church, some died in captivity, but all went to heaven.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

guns for tits posted:

I’m learning a lot about Christianity.

well I have seen worse reasons given

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

I won't clog up the thread with them, but I've basically been generating fictional histories of the English Civil War non-stop since yesterday, and it's significantly impinging on my productivity at work.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
General Albrecht von Wallenstein was

responsible for the new policy of increasing German war exports,

in order to make the war in Europe more profitable.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Came across an interesting article about Pompei's road maintenance.

I knew that roads would often become rutted due to cars but i never put much thought about what the Romans did about it.

Figured they either did nothing or replaced the stones but it seems one of the process used in Pompei was to pour molten iron into holes/cracks/ruts. Other fillers would also be used such as other stones, broken terracota and/or ceramic pieces.

https://amp.livescience.com/65479-ancient-romans-used-molten-iron-street-repair.html?__twitter_impression=true

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

General Albrecht von Wallenstein was

responsible for the new policy of increasing German war exports,

in order to make the war in Europe more profitable.

It's official....Talk to Transformer is an Imperialist:

"Emperor Ferdinand II was the greatest emperor on earth, an autocrat who ruled with the majesty of a god, and his rule was the biggest political and military achievement in the history of Rome."

Also a big supporter of France:

"Cardinal Richelieu was not a man to be trifled with; if in this respect he was the opposite of the Pope, he was also superior to the Pope."

It also wrote me a short dramatization of what seems to be the run up to the Peace of Prague:

quote:

"We are afraid, that, with such a rapid and desperate course, with the ruin of the kingdom of Saxony, with the most dangerous obstacles in Germany, the army or the navy will fail, and the enemy will turn from the scene of the battle without an opportunity of defending the country as well as from his country.

"Now we have no other choice but to submit to the German King and to withdraw."

Then suddenly the King suddenly went into a rage.

"What are you, how dare you accuse me of a wicked act! I've given you so many opportunities to put away your quarrel."

They had made up their minds to fight, but the king of Bavaria said:

"You have given us another chance, you've put me under the greatest temptation."

What is to be done, said Siehtzgeb, the young man, he knew very well.

But if the German can prevail not only at this time, but also after that, he will succeed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the AI revolution is here and they're imperialist or gallicanist tradcaths

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

HEY GUNS posted:

the AI revolution is here and they're imperialist or gallicanist tradcaths

Tell me about it. I just got this....

quote:

Martin Luther was executed by hanging, and, after he had died, it took seven days for his body to bleed into the coffin.
The case of Martin Luther is one that has caused a lot of debate, but none more so than the belief that God is willing to hang him after being told of his actions.
As far as the faith communities go, Lutherans can be fairly divided, as there are those who believe God will let him rot in a pit while others see him as an example of divine intervention (Luther's execution), in which he saved a soul in a life threatening circumstance. Most who have come to a different conclusion about the circumstances of Luther's death don't accept the supernatural explanation (I've also seen some Lutherans suggest "God will probably kill Luther himself" , while other Lutherans accept that this is the case).
It is quite fascinating to me that there are people who are not very religious, and then see a charismatic leader and believe that they can use that charismatic power to bring the world to Christ when in fact, they do not believe in God at all, and have no faith in his divine intervention.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Hmm.

quote:

John Calvin was on the bench, playing at right guard. He's a smart guy, I believe, but he'd likely have been the first one called and made the call," the source said. Then there were the defensive linemen.

Some defensive linemen are "pretty smart, but they never say it out loud. And sometimes you don't have to say things out loud, and he probably would have."

Edit: from an alternate history, or perhaps an alternate present

quote:

General Albrecht von Wallenstein is an expert in the ancient language literature of the Roman Legionnaire. He is married to Professor Gertrude von Wallenstein-Dreyfus.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 02:15 on May 16, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

quote:

History of Japan

About 6,500 years ago, Japan settled north of the Bering Sea as one of the oldest nations on Earth; today the country is home to approximately 600 ethnic and cultural groups.

The country has the largest rice, sugar, fruit, and meat supplies of any country on Earth. With annual production of more than 7 million tons, it produces almost twice as much food as does the United Kingdom.

According to statistics released by the Japan Meteorological Agency, in 2006 its average annual surface temperature outside of Japan was only 8 degrees Fahrenheit. On October 1, 2006 the average average temperature outside Japan was only 4 degrees.

This kind up with those history books I got at the Yasukuni Shrine.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
A line from "The Byzantine Empire was...."

"The empire included Constantinople. The greatest cities of the empire at its height were Abydos the city of gold; Samos the city of gold; Antioch the city of olive oil; Acre the city of gold."

I feel like Antioch just got included because they felt sorry for it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
John Calvin: Sometimes You Don't Have To Say Things Out Loud

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Epicurius posted:

A line from "The Byzantine Empire was...."

"The empire included Constantinople. The greatest cities of the empire at its height were Abydos the city of gold; Samos the city of gold; Antioch the city of olive oil; Acre the city of gold."

I feel like Antioch just got included because they felt sorry for it.

In this universe, olive oil is rarer than gold and therefore more valuable.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don Gato posted:

This kind up with those history books I got at the Yasukuni Shrine.

Seems to take place in the Frostpunk universe.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

quote:

Jesus was born of a virgin mother that bore him and died, so we now know that there are two wives: the natural birth of Christ gives us two wives (i.e. one man, one woman) of the Father. Hence, the Word is a true wife and heir of the Father. Christ did not want to take the natural birth as an inheritance and was not ready to be a husband and therefore, took his marriage vows in the temple. This is where our faith is. When John married Mary, she was able to be conceived again in her natural state (see John 6:54-57). The Bible does mention a woman of the royal line, and Mary (and Joseph (and his father, and his mother, the angel of truth) and his two wives) are all called "wives."

quote:

The ancient Egyptians had their own versions of the phrase, too—one that used another word to describe the process: a mourner's bath.

Ancient Egyptians also used this phrase to indicate how a death could be celebrated by the gods. The first mention of funerary rites (according to Wikipedia) dates back about 439 B.C. and refers to the goddess Isis making offerings to her dead family members.

It's quite possible that the Romans, who ruled Egypt and Greece beginning around 200 B.C., also borrowed the phrase, while the Egyptians were still using the term mourner's bath to describe the process.

As I stated earlier, this isn't quite as interesting as it sounds—it does mean something, but is merely a variation on the word mourner's bath. "Fascinating" is not exactly the word I'd use here. (You know how you've thought about this topic for years without ever really finding the definitive answer? It just keeps coming back to me.)

But for those that do still know what this phrase means, we can still use this to explore your memories

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Goddammit, I keep reading these as if they were real

maybe put them all in italics or something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In typography, italic typeface has a special effect. It makes the typeface look very similar to that seen above, but the italic is usually applied separately. Because there is no way for the user to find out if italic is applied or if the italic will be used, the italic becomes a very effective substitute for the old default.

A common mistake made by typographers is making typography look too similar to one another. The italic used is too close. When this occurs, both italics are simply added one after the other, making it look bad. We've written about multiple italic versions in the past to combat this practice, but the trend is continuing.

Switzerland
Feb 18, 2005
Do what thou must do.
Tankgirls?

quote:

the tankies were finally cornered in the middle of the road. However, before the tankgirls could respond to my command, their entire formation disappeared into the forest. With the tankies completely gone, the other ten tanks, in addition, disappeared from sight. The entire unit collapsed on the field of battle as they realized what had just happened.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

quote:

Publius Quinctilius Varus, where are my books, to whom shall I deliver them, and what is called out to me by others?

9. I do not fear the coming of his enemies; and by the power he has obtained, there should no longer be this hatred against me; since my name was a little above their own, and I was not even suspected of this before; who therefore they should, as I am now, be desirous to prove their treason against, and that they might lay hold of the state, the name of which should not be taken again till they should prove themselves, that they might seize their property for their own use, for they ought also that all might be able to be secure themselves with their lives, and that they might not be able to put away their arms, and in times of peace put on them again, after so many of theirs having fallen and wounded and slain. They therefore have brought in such laws as those in their power have, to the best of their power and knowledge; and they who have done them have carried them into an abundance of force,

ol' Gus just wanted a good shitter novel.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was trying to think of what it was like for Roman armies to march across Europe, and comparing it to my personal experiences. Does Europe not have many plants with burrs, stickers, and other various pointy things that'll wreck your legs if you wade through foliage in sandals and no pants?

Or alternatively, did armies normally plot their routes through territory that already had enough regular human habitation to have most of the brush regularly cleared anyways?

Or as a third option, am I just over-correcting in my brain against the artificiality of regularly-mowed suburban lawns and there are plenty of natural environments that don't involve loads of tall plants sprouting up everywhere to wade through? I know forest floors often seem relatively clean in comparison from trees swallowing up much of the light and using root systems to choke out other competition, but that's not exactly the best for marching either.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was trying to think of what it was like for Roman armies to march across Europe, and comparing it to my personal experiences. Does Europe not have many plants with burrs, stickers, and other various pointy things that'll wreck your legs if you wade through foliage in sandals and no pants?

Or alternatively, did armies normally plot their routes through territory that already had enough regular human habitation to have most of the brush regularly cleared anyways?

Or as a third option, am I just over-correcting in my brain against the artificiality of regularly-mowed suburban lawns and there are plenty of natural environments that don't involve loads of tall plants sprouting up everywhere to wade through? I know forest floors often seem relatively clean in comparison from trees swallowing up much of the light and using root systems to choke out other competition, but that's not exactly the best for marching either.

There's once in the Gallic Wars where Caesar specifically calls out one tribe's territory as being dense with super-impassable brambles (iirc he suggests they were specifically cultivated to function as defenses)

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
You know, I'd love to see a film about the battle of Teutoberg Forest shot in the style of one of those horror movies where the characters all get messily eliminated one by one. It could really work.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tree Bucket posted:

You know, I'd love to see a film about the battle of Teutoberg Forest shot in the style of one of those horror movies where the characters all get messily eliminated one by one. It could really work.

wicker man 2

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

before Columbian contact killed off all the people doing forestkeeping, regular fires kept the forest floors of America clear, to the point where you could ride a horse from the coast to the Rockies (or something like that, I don't recall the exact quote)

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think you are overestimating how much stuff like burrs or stickers actually matter to bare feet. For the majority of human existence people got by with sandals or nothing at all, and today millions still do. Honestly I have no idea how anyone can walk around tropical rain forests without shoes, but lots of people spend their whole lives doing just that.

I'm not sure I'd put too much emphasis on the passability of natural environments. Iron age Gaul and Briton were hardly a wilderness, even if there was a lot more forest than today. Instead imagine a checkerboard of forest patches and pasture, cultivated fields and little villages. You don't send armies into uninhabited wildernesses because there's nobody to conquer there. You send armies where people are. Where there are people, there will be fields, and roads, or at least rough trails. The ridgeway is just one example of what would have been many well worn ways crisscrossing continental Europe during pre-Roman times, connecting important settlements and strategic locations. Roman soldiers would have followed these same routes.

Tunicate is also right, in a lot of places fire would have been much more common in pre-modern times and reduced crowding in the under-story. In Iberia fire is still common in many regions, and results in open woodland environments.

A pine savanna in southern Spain. in northern Spain forests are often extremely open with only a lush carpet of ferns. On level terrain such environments are easy to walk in. Forests in northern Europe probably would have only burned rarely, but moorlands would have burned regularly, and often with human assistance. Today British managers still sometimes use fire to improve hunting grounds for grouse, and their ancient forebears did the same.

This is an image of Lüneburg Heath in modern Saxony. While this area would have been almost completely forested in the stone age, starting around 5000 years ago the region was gradually turned into a more open heathland used by mobile agro-pastoralists. It has an odd resemblance to Colorado, but while the sparce trees of Colorado are explained by a shortage of water, Luneburg's sandy soils are instead short of the nutrients needed for human crops to thrive. In Roman times you can imagine a lot more European landscapes looking like this one, with farmers slashing and burning new fields every few years and abandoned fields slowing filling in with new trees as they are grazed by the village's flocks.

Of course if you're trying to ride across continents this kind of open terrain is almost always broken by dense mats of vegetation around stream beds and water even in arid areas, so its unlikely you could avoid bushwhacking altogether.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 16, 2019

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
i spent my whole childhood barefoot because i was an idiot shithead kid and took my shoes off and the only time it sucked was when the bitumen got really hot or i stood on a shattered windshield or something. I can easily see how people did it, I can't do it any more because I'm a shoe wearing adult but i had thick enough callouses to stand on sharp rocks gravel etc and not feel it at all. gently caress I climbed a mountain in thongs when I was 17 and still had thick enough soles at that point that it only kinda hurt when I took them off to do the scrambles

I go hiking in shorts and after a while you just stop feeling all the grabby plants. I'll look down and my legs will be scraped and bleeding and I won't know how it happened. If you're a big tough dude used to getting poked at by swords then you probably literally can't feel it.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 16, 2019

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. This revolt eventually led to the Empire of the Nine Suns, with the Fourth Stimpire now its dominant faction. A Third Stimpire led by the Emperor of the Nine Suns and allied with the Empire of the Nine Suns, who were to unite the other systems. Eventually, the Third Stimpire allied itself with the United Stimpires and used the power of its system to overthrow the Empire of the Nine Suns and gain control over its moons.

The Fourth Stimpire now rule the planets of the fourth system, Stimsis, with help from the United Stimpires, whose planets are now part of the empire. At its current level, the system is currently an empire of 6 planets.

With these changes, the Fourth Stimpire has become an empire unlike any other in its sector.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

think of it as a pop quiz, if you can't separate the real takes from the fake how will you know if it's true?

The answer, sadly, is it takes a lot of practice. The fake takes start out very similar until the credits. The fake takes all follow the same story plan, with the main point being the same. The real takes don't follow this pattern at all: some sort of cliffhanger follows and the cut scene begins as the fake takes.

There's one problem though: the Fake takes contain many non-sequiturs. We'll talk more about it in the next section, but here's a list of some of the most notable ones:

An alien who looks like the Joker shoots two men but the cops just charge in instead.

Bart tells an alien he looks like a dog. Then, he tells the police he didn't notice the dog.

A cop tries to seduce Lisa.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What’s all this stuff from? Someone live blogging their CK2 game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

e: ^^^^^ it's from that neural net thing that you seed with a prompt and it generates a sorta coherent paragraph of text

I don't even wanna imagine how many ticks you would pick up in your day-to-day as a legionnaire. Ugh. I guess the guys at the front of the column would bear the brunt of it.