Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Oddly enough I just did another Greed run and yet again got Sprinker + Pop (billiard ball effect).

I also got Mom's Knife in the last Devil Deal, so I decided to see how that worked out. The double damage of Mom's knife was good, but it wasn't as stupid fast as killing things as regular tears + billiard ball. I was also disappointed that Car Battery doesn't create two sprinklers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Wouldn’t be surprised if it DID make two sprinklers, but they were perfectly overlayed on one another.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I was doing a Greedier run with Laz and broke the game completely over my knee. Steam sale spawned under one of the keepers on the first floor and I was able to buy a counterfeit penny for three cents. I check the locked item room to get polyphemus. The rest of the game was just a series of sequential damage upgrades and tears up (also bookworm and guppy transformations, because why not). It got to the point where I was able to knock out bosses in a split second, and even Greed couldn't armor through the raw damage my tears and flies were putting out. His first phase only got off one slot roll before he dropped.

Breaking Greed/Greedier is one of my favorite things in this game.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Pigbuster posted:

Wouldn’t be surprised if it DID make two sprinklers, but they were perfectly overlayed on one another.

Looking at the screenshots, I think you're right.

I just did another Greed run and for the third time in row I got the Sprinkler, this time with Tech X and Mom's knife. It was an easy run but not broken.

D20 seems to be showing up quite a bit as well. It seems to be a good strategy to leave behind 6 or so coins and roll them into chests/keys/bombs. A good return on investment.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Canuckistan posted:

I just did another Greed run and for the third time in row I got the Sprinkler, this time with Tech X and Mom's knife. It was an easy run but not broken.

D20 seems to be showing up quite a bit as well. It seems to be a good strategy to leave behind 6 or so coins and roll them into chests/keys/bombs. A good return on investment.

D20 by itself breaks Greed(ier) mode. Take it to a floor with buyable little batteries, roll all the coins, buy a battery, open the chests and roll again, pick up a nickel, repeat. Since the d20 will reroll empty chests and all the junk in the chests, you overall profit. Proceed to buy everything forever.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Canuckistan posted:

That d20 stuff is how you can slowly break a run wide open and get tons of items actually. Reroll coins into chests, open them to get more pickups on the floor, get battery from shop with some of the coins you got, rinse, repeat. Or something like that.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Minor tip: buy your battery before you crack the chests so that you can roll the empty chests too.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
It guess it would be to my benefit to bother to remember what any of the dice besides the D6 actually do.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rollersnake posted:

It guess it would be to my benefit to bother to remember what any of the dice besides the D6 actually do.

D6: break the game
D20: break the game
Others: range from suck to even worse

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

D100: gently caress around with random poo poo and hope it works out.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

xanthan posted:

That d20 stuff is how you can slowly break a run wide open and get tons of items actually. Reroll coins into chests, open them to get more pickups on the floor, get battery from shop with some of the coins you got, rinse, repeat. Or something like that.

Oh snap. That never occurred to me.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

D4 & D100:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdmfVyPrqcc&t=30s

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

D8 is novel too. Keep rolling until useless stats like range get sacrificed for great tears and/or damage

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the tip re: d20 breaking greed. Yes. Yes it does. Throw in a few jera runes and blank card and by the time I was done there was nothing left in the item pool but breakfast and lunch.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Pigbuster posted:

This is exactly what happens. It's saved my rear end on Greedier runs more often than I can count.

just_a_person
Mar 13, 2019

that ivy guy posted:

D8 is novel too. Keep rolling until useless stats like range get sacrificed for great tears and/or damage

D8 can be amazing. It allows you to break the tear cap so you have a tear delay of 1 without needing soy milk.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

just_a_person posted:

D8 can be amazing. It allows you to break the tear cap so you have a tear delay of 1 without needing soy milk.

Maybe, but I've seen it torpedo way more runs than I've ever seen it play a key role in winning. D4 and D100 are in an entirely different league because they not only reshuffle your items, but they also confer all the non "stat-sheet" benefits of your new loadout, meaning that they're capable of not only saving an anemic run from being smothered out, but they're often usable as an emergency heal since you're likely to get a sudden, enormous health increase anytime you hit the spacebar. Hell, even if your new run is garbage, you're often only stuck with it for a handful of rooms before you get another draw at the item pool and another big infusion of health.

I mean, D8 isn't bad, but there are just far fewer situations that it can meaningfully contribute to the success of a run, and a bad stat draw is often far more debilitating than a bad draw of items, again, because of the safety net the D4's and D100's likely health boost will confer.

That said, the D8 is still handily in the upper half of spacebar items, and it's definitely one of the more fun and interesting spacebar items in the game, without a doubt.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any tips to unlock the skeleton? I got to Shoel with host hat on floor one, but just had almost no damage or any real combo, just the basic tears and got killed there. I had a good combo damage run another run, but ran out of HP in the boss rush. Both times were Isaac, as I was using his item to get a good starting floor item.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I had a not too terrible time unlocking Forgotten with Azazel. Starting with flight helped a lot with dodging mom stomps and getting pickups early on I would have missed with other characters. Plus he's the easiest character for beating the first boss in <1 minute, and probably the easiest for getting to the boss rush on time.

Edit: I didn't get Brimstone to drop on my successful run either, so it's very doable with his starting short-range shot. I can't remember if it was that run or the one where I managed a hard mode Hush & Delirium clear without intending to where I lucked into finding Locust of Conquest, but holy poo poo that has to be the best trinket for an underpowered Azazel that can't depend on an active item.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 15, 2019

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I forgot all about Azarel. I not played Isaac in a while and just got in the mood to play it again and bother to unlock Forgotten since he seems like actually fun to play unlike the other one I not unlock, The Keeper.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Updates on Repentance: Still on track for release late this year apparently.

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1133187897522135040

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/1133187023349530625

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

lmfao I forgot that was even happening.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The reskinned bighorn looks a lot better.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I wonder what happens when you use a Blank Card on a ? card, I thought, on Depths II, while doing the daily challenge. :negative:

I still won, by beating Delirium.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Anybody know if custom challenges are still working, or if there's a more current guide than this one?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=835061601

I've followed this one to the letter, syntax is correct, files are the correct format, my mod shows up under mods, but the custom challenge list is blank. For kicks, I tried a challenges.xml file that's identical to the sample provided, and that challenge won't show up either.

Edit: Durr, nevermind. Missed the part about making a content folder.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 7, 2019

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
In case you're looking for something to do while we wait for Repentence to come out, I finished my custom challenge pack.

For most of them, I was going for a level of difficulty comparable to Solar System or Suicide King. #1 is easier, and #6 is particularly weird and awful, but still not as difficult as the worst DLC challenges. I tried my best to make them unique and fun and fair, and I hope you enjoy them.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 18, 2019

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Rollersnake posted:

In case you're looking for something to do while we wait for Repetence to come out, I finished my custom challenge pack.

For most of them, I was going for a level of difficulty comparable to Solar System or Suicide King. #1 is easier, and #6 is particularly weird and awful, but still not as difficult as the worst DLC challenges. I tried my best to make them unique and fun and fair, and I hope you enjoy them.

Nice, will check these out later!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Speaking of Suicide King, it's kicking my rear end for three days now. I've had several viable runs only to get hosed up on the last level.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
loving finally. Jar of Flies made things much much easier.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Canuckistan posted:

loving finally. Jar of Flies made things much much easier.

Complaining always works™.

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years

Wugga posted:

Complaining always works™.

My complaint is the Repentance expansion isn’t out yet.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Anyone see any confirmation yet if Repentance will be on Switch?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Loaded up Isaac while I was waiting for Bloodstained to download, ended up playing for hours with a ridiculously good hard mode Judas run I took through three victory laps for the achievements.

End of the third victory lap, and this wasn't even as ridiculous as it got. I picked up Libra at one point, which decreased my power substantially. Plus I had ouroborous worm and pulse worm until sometime in the last lap when I decided it was maybe too dangerous to stick around after clearing a room in case I ended up dying to a troll bomb I couldn't see. This happened twice.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Had something really odd happen last night. I got the Basement 2, and just as the level loaded my Devil Room percentage went immediately from 100% to 0%. I hadn't even moved yet, let alone taken damage. It was impossible for me to even take damage since I was in an empty room. It happened again when I loaded into Depths 2, my percentage went from 36.6% to a straight 0%. Again, I took no damage and hadn't even moved yet.

I don't think it was the items I had, on the first floor all I got was Lunch Meat and Camo Pants. has this happened to anyone else?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Had something really odd happen last night. I got the Basement 2, and just as the level loaded my Devil Room percentage went immediately from 100% to 0%. I hadn't even moved yet, let alone taken damage. It was impossible for me to even take damage since I was in an empty room. It happened again when I loaded into Depths 2, my percentage went from 36.6% to a straight 0%. Again, I took no damage and hadn't even moved yet.

I don't think it was the items I had, on the first floor all I got was Lunch Meat and Camo Pants. has this happened to anyone else?

this happens when the boss room generated for the floor cant spawn a devil door, usually a result of it being one of those lovely narrow rooms

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ArfJason posted:

this happens when the boss room generated for the floor cant spawn a devil door, usually a result of it being one of those lovely narrow rooms

Makes sense, both boss fights were Horseman in those lovely narrow rooms.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Pax West Repentance streams, with Tyrone and _Kilburn playing the showfloor demo mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUu6WdaalFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOcYCOJ3txU

Also might be a Q1 2020 release now

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 1, 2019

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Everything looks so much smoother now. Love the new animations. I knew it being released this year was a pipe dream.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Sad that switch version is in the future not release date

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
First thing I'm doing with Repentance is modding antibirth music back in.