Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

PurpleXVI posted:

I thought that probe was gonna be for something in this thread and was really excited to see what the hell could get someone probed in their own LP thread.

Way to let us down, Ramc.

I was just asking questions!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So you're retreating into the ocean and hoping that the land nations start fighting each other again?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well it's a perfectly reasonable hope. None of the land nations apart from Phaecia and kind of C'tis for diplo reasons have any motive to keep the push up against Ramc. Like others have said the most surprising thing is that the backstab hasn't come yet.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Torrannor posted:

So you're retreating into the ocean and hoping that the land nations start fighting each other again?

I need to regather my strength to hit some other target and re-secure the undersea so sort of yes.

Also a patch has just dropped today that makes Perpetual Storm give movement penalties on the map so it is even better.

It also has cats that start fires.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Ramc posted:

I need to regather my strength to hit some other target and re-secure the undersea so sort of yes.

Also a patch has just dropped today that makes Perpetual Storm give movement penalties on the map so it is even better.

It also has cats that start fires.

That cat clearly cannot light anything on fire.

(I assume half of them are F1 instead based on the flavour text.)

Alex0080
May 3, 2013

Prism posted:

That cat clearly cannot light anything on fire.

(I assume half of them are F1 instead based on the flavour text.)

Yep, also their starting shape is just a cat. Although, thanks to that 14 defense skill and two weapons at 12 attack skill, these cats are pretty good at killing normal humans with no armor and little to no combat training.

Edit: If that cat gets a solid bite on your leg, it's coming clean off in one chomp.

Alex0080 fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 15, 2019

Ramc
May 4, 2008

"nefarious schemes"

Alex0080
May 3, 2013
Breaking News: Ramc's thugged out cat prophet storms final fortress and claims final throne solo.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
IMO the most significant changes in the patch are LA Ulm got a big boot to the groin (they used to be able to recruit vampire lords at half price from turn 0, now they only get to call up 8 national vamps) and Shinuyama's bakemono-sho getting reduced to size 1. Which is huge (pardon the punne, or play on words).
I remember playing (and kinda winning - there were 3 of us left when the game got shelved and I was somewhat ahead so the other 2 agreed to crown me) Shinu in a dom3 game patched to let the gerblins be size 1 (among other things) and they become *insane*. They're super cheap, have human-like stats or better and pretty good gear so when you stuff 6 of 'em to a square and apply any amount of buffing (which works even better since they're more densely clustered) they become fricking buzzsaws. Plus they're sneaky so you can raid all over the place with squads you effortlessly poo poo out of any fort for chump change, it's great.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

IMO the most significant changes in the patch are LA Ulm got a big boot to the groin (they used to be able to recruit vampire lords at half price from turn 0, now they only get to call up 8 national vamps) and Shinuyama's bakemono-sho getting reduced to size 1. Which is huge (pardon the punne, or play on words).
I remember playing (and kinda winning - there were 3 of us left when the game got shelved and I was somewhat ahead so the other 2 agreed to crown me) Shinu in a dom3 game patched to let the gerblins be size 1 (among other things) and they become *insane*. They're super cheap, have human-like stats or better and pretty good gear so when you stuff 6 of 'em to a square and apply any amount of buffing (which works even better since they're more densely clustered) they become fricking buzzsaws. Plus they're sneaky so you can raid all over the place with squads you effortlessly poo poo out of any fort for chump change, it's great.

I'm basically just picturing Gremlins from Gremlins 2.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
arent the new ulm vamps actually on the whole really strong and good

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I think they all have really long yaris like length 6 making it easier to fend off attacks.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kobal2 posted:

They're even cheaper now if you recruit them in mountains; they got 'mountain rebate' which is apparently two gold off their normal gold cost. Which is single digit to begin with.

You're barely paying for the goblin at this point. It's like, buy a spear, get a goblin free.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tollymain posted:

arent the new ulm vamps actually on the whole really strong and good

For the most part they're not THAT different, so it's definitely a nerf since the nation is now hard capped on how many they can have total, but there are some nice abilities scattered around, along with some changes to the normal D2B2. One has seduction, another has innate blood hunter(2), one has adept researcher and another really deviates from the normal paths with some Earth along with Death and Blood (he's also heavily armed and armored, so he's essentially an additional version of one of LA Ulm's preexisting national vampire hero).

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Alex0080 posted:

Yep, also their starting shape is just a cat. Although, thanks to that 14 defense skill and two weapons at 12 attack skill, these cats are pretty good at killing normal humans with no armor and little to no combat training.

Edit: If that cat gets a solid bite on your leg, it's coming clean off in one chomp.

Ah, the 3.5e cat. I can appreciate the classics.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 52

Ugh. Okay. Let's go.

Enchantment 8. I am not really in a position to leverage most of these right now though and I shift to construction 7. Maybe I can make a golem.

They refuse to die!!!

They're back.

The shield tyrant is back too, I see.

Clearing the island.

A wind caller eats an arrow trying to kill 1PD. A loss but worth it!!!

I am taking my little bay back!

More Phaecia chasing.

And more saurowraith terror.

C'tis pings a throne.

It's guarded by Your an Earth Mother. This isn't a terribly scary throne as T3 guard setups go.

How many ruins are there. How many could there possibly be?

What the...

Misfortune scales!

What a great nation to live in.

Oh wait a good thing???

It is not very useful but it is very cool.

I patrol out this jerk.

Noone picks it up but this is what was causing it all. As a time paradox note as of a patch on 5/14 BVCs are now 'less deadly' whatever that means.

He got his dudes in to help siege. You can also see my income vs upkeep is making me pretty poor for the moment. Kind of feeling the pinch of all these incursions.

Overview.

Mindhunting and retaking territory taken by Eriu's raiders. My troops no longer are trained on the throne so gently caress all these guys in my sea.

A warning shot across Nazca's bow. This is diplomacy.

Moving armies around. What I need is a massable counter for the dang saurowraiths. Worst to worst I could probably evacuate my god if things get bad in the north sea and push back in. That would be extremely undesirable though because giving up a throne to C'tis is potentially fatal. What I have really isn't working anymore though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ramc posted:

Noone picks it up but this is what was causing it all. As a time paradox note as of a patch on 5/14 BVCs are now 'less deadly' whatever that means.

Already suspected it from that "less deadly" comment, but double-checking the inspector they got their Reaper value cut from 10 to 5. Might just be worth summoning harvesters now if you still want to pull this annoyance.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
After all the talk about how much of a pain it is to properly cross the dry land/underwater divide, it doesn't feel like the poor surfacers are having much trouble making the trip. :v:

Highwayleopard
Aug 18, 2017
Going to be interesting to see how you bounce back from this.

I probably would've lost concentration, had my eyes glaze over and run out of ideas on how to kill pixel mens a while ago.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

After all the talk about how much of a pain it is to properly cross the dry land/underwater divide, it doesn't feel like the poor surfacers are having much trouble making the trip. :v:

They sort of are. C'tis is having to use expensive water summon sea trolls and undead chassis to make headway and everyone else can only kind of manage to send the odd thug squad down. This C'tis force is the closest thing to a real and persistent UW threat yet.

Highwayleopard posted:

Going to be interesting to see how you bounce back from this.

I probably would've lost concentration, had my eyes glaze over and run out of ideas on how to kill pixel mens a while ago.

there are a lot of ways to kill pixel men in dom 5

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

PurpleXVI posted:

A land nation would be dead as poo poo getting coalitioned like this.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Corbeau posted:

A land nation would be dead as poo poo getting coalitioned like this.

I am getting it like maybe 10% as bad as I would as a land nation.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I wonder if more "mess up the ocean" globals would help. Or just reducing gold income for ocean regions.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the correct course of action is to simply remove the mechanic "under water" thank you

Ramc
May 4, 2008

violent sex idiot posted:

the correct course of action is to simply remove the mechanic "under water" thank you

this guy gets it

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

PurpleXVI posted:

They're being annoying raiding dicks, but none of them are in any way an existential threat to Ramc, even at this point, and he can retake the land pretty easily - it's just that travel time is a pain.
But note that there are no armies sieging his forts, burning his temples, murderizing his mages - because the surfacers can't really bring any at this point ; and even if they did bring armies down below (with high level magic items) those troops would suck on account of being land troops underwater so Ramc's fish dudes would rip them apart effortlessly. To say nothing of his mages - Water mages work underwater. Most other mages... not so much (D mages are OK I suppose, swimming skellingtons work as well as shambling ones).
Oh, and they would all immediately die if the guy holding the magic item died for any reason.

Fighting underwater is a gigantic pain in the dick for land non-undead nations.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Kobal2 posted:

They're being annoying raiding dicks, but none of them are in any way an existential threat to Ramc, even at this point, and he can retake the land pretty easily - it's just that travel time is a pain.
But note that there are no armies sieging his forts, burning his temples, murderizing his mages - because the surfacers can't really bring any at this point ; and even if they did bring armies down below (with high level magic items) those troops would suck on account of being land troops underwater so Ramc's fish dudes would rip them apart effortlessly. To say nothing of his mages - Water mages work underwater. Most other mages... not so much (D mages are OK I suppose, swimming skellingtons work as well as shambling ones).
Oh, and they would all immediately die if the guy holding the magic item died for any reason.

Fighting underwater is a gigantic pain in the dick for land non-undead nations.

they also need to bring astral mages or their brains die. In theory. I am not doing well with those rolls though.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
and bringing multiple commanders is awful since you need a separate item for each one that gets sent down

there should be a spell to boil off the oceans (or just no oceans at all that's better)

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Like many things in dominions, be careful what you wish for.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Also unrelated also just in from the new patch now some spells have helpful(!) yellow text explaining what the spell does like so-

Is this even dominions anymore???

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TravelLog posted:

Yeah, you better pump a lot of water gems into this, or your army will drown at the most inopportune moment.

This is one area where psychology plays a big role in Dominions. Only the caster knows how many gems they put into a global. To successfully dispel a global, you need to put one more astral pearl into the dispel cast than gems were spent on the global. It can be pretty nerve wracking, because most globals have a high gem cost by default, and now you have to guess how many extra gems were pumped into it. You want to dispel the enchantment, but don't put too many of your valuable astral gems into it. But if you use too few, you will have wasted a huge amount of them.

I wonder if Phaecia already tried to dispel Perpetual Storm, put didn't put enough peals into the dispel attempt?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

"occasionally" is still super vague, though

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TravelLog posted:

That seems like a spell that as a troll strat a water nation should cast before suiciding said mage into an enemy army.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Hunt11 posted:

That seems like a spell that as a troll strat a water nation should cast before suiciding said mage into an enemy army.

They know who owns the global, so I doubt it would work very well, since everyone would know it was bait.

And, I mean... would you trust a global you don't even control? You don't know how many gems went into it, after all.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
This one is a slightly better idea with its own downsides since it means mutual non-interference (here though it would lock Ramc out of claiming thrones on land).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TravelLog posted:

This one is a slightly better idea with its own downsides since it means mutual non-interference (here though it would lock Ramc out of claiming thrones on land).

Not quite, his nation has quite a few astral mages who could teleport themselves on land. And with enough research, and a bit of gearing, can teleport an army with them.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Actually Ramc should almost consider casting Sea of Ice. It would seal off these thugs, make it impossible for the land nations to keep hitting him thus more or less forcing them to fight each other, then he can just drop it when he's ready.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Another issue of land nations going UW is that the provinces are largely useless to them for army making or mage making. Even with a fort most nations can only recruit whatever generic units are there, which tend to be okay underwater and useless on land, and thats assuming they get a fort with good resources & recruitment points.

Of course it'd be a real shame if Ramc ran into the rare land nation with national UW recruits.

Arianya fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 16, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Pharnakes posted:

Actually Ramc should almost consider casting Sea of Ice. It would seal off these thugs, make it impossible for the land nations to keep hitting him thus more or less forcing them to fight each other, then he can just drop it when he's ready.

Yeah this actually strikes me as a decent strategy - use Sea of Ice to fort up, claim his two UW thrones, and position large armies ready to make a final lunge before dropping the spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 53

Okay.

Living Water and to a lesser extent Living Fortress or whatever are the nice things here. Living Water is summon water elemental+. Cast it and you get 4 elementals. It's real good underwater obviously.

No minds get hunted. It sucks!

I lurch onto the land in the TC zone and raze a Phaeacian temple. Suck it!!!

I clear some Ctis PD near my seiged fort.

This rear end in a top hat is back.

These dudes were chasing after that Tyrant but he has moved on.

Nazca, hello.

I get all up in Nazca's grille as a negotiating tactic.

I am reclaiming some Eriu raiding losses here.

go away

I sent this crew to smash an unforted Phaeacian land temple...

...which has a LOT of PD.

It's easy to lose sight of the fact that my line troops are very good its just that all the magic bullshit flying around is rapidly outpacing them.

A second temple lost this turn for Phaecia. I feels good man. Also that's like 24 PD I think. Spendy.

The omen is that I started the LP.

We are loving crawling with curse spewing wizards and witches. It is probably our chief export.

Overview.

A ceasefire is negotiated with Nazca. He wants to take Gilged to make some UW stuff to oppress Shinuyama. I'm just happy not to have 200 ghost birds pointed like a dagger at my capital.

My fort won't last long enough for me to get reinforcements there.

Wait what Ulm kicked Phelgra off the UW throne they took from me??? Scout, go check that poo poo out.

The Tyrant escaped by going on land. That's great. I contract my forces to get ready to move them C'tis-ward because nuts to that guy.

Having lashed out, I contract. Reorganized I shift forces toward C'tis while trying to point out to all and sundry he must die.