Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I don't like it, but the GAM name wasn't great either. (Especially after the initials stopped representing the hosts)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

moush posted:

The GAM podcast rebranding to Arena Decklists is a bad idea in my opinion. It's so generic and eventually people will be using trackers to get all their decklists anyways.

I feel bad saying this as a fellow content creator (albeit far less popular), but it feels entirely created by a consultant and not by them. Or at least not by Gerry. Gerry had essentially nothing to say about it, and I got the feeling he just signed off on whatever he was told was in the best financial interest of things. It has absolutely no personality, and THE PODCAST ISN'T EVEN ABOUT ARENA.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
The Arena Decklists branding does seem off to me and far too focused on something that their podcast isn’t exclusively about... it would be like if Limited Resources spent 30-45 minutes an episode discussing modern / standard / legacy - they instead did constructed resources (or whatever the short lived podcast was).

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Dehtraen posted:

The Arena Decklists branding does seem off to me and far too focused on something that their podcast isn’t exclusively about... it would be like if Limited Resources spent 30-45 minutes an episode discussing modern / standard / legacy - they instead did constructed resources (or whatever the short lived podcast was).

It might be signaling a shift in the type of content they are focusing on. A lot of the focus on Modern in the past few years was a refuge from any format that wasn't Standard. Now that Standard is thriving, I expect people to shift back towards it and Modern to be focused towards a smaller more entrenched group, which will be a bit of a self correction.

I know Modern Horizons is coming out and maybe the format becomes amazing and grows significantly in popularity, and there's no reason not to continue these types of sets because Standard can only support 3 sets + Core, but not appearing on Arena feels like it just kneecaps the level of excitement over it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The last time I went to a paper magic event was a Return to Ravnica pre-release and the stereotypes about the smell of magic players was not completely unfounded

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Sickening posted:

Horizon canopy for all the color pairs is cool and good and not broken at all.

I dread the thought of modern/legacy blue-white control with on color canopies but otherwise I think you're right

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone near the Irvine area: I'll be crashing the modern event at Kingslayer Games tonight. In from out of town but want to jam some paper.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Marketing New Brain posted:

It might be signaling a shift in the type of content they are focusing on. A lot of the focus on Modern in the past few years was a refuge from any format that wasn't Standard. Now that Standard is thriving, I expect people to shift back towards it and Modern to be focused towards a smaller more entrenched group, which will be a bit of a self correction.

I know Modern Horizons is coming out and maybe the format becomes amazing and grows significantly in popularity, and there's no reason not to continue these types of sets because Standard can only support 3 sets + Core, but not appearing on Arena feels like it just kneecaps the level of excitement over it.

They claimed that the content wasn’t changing, which is weird because the first thing I thought when they started talking about the rebranding was that they weren’t going to talk about modern anymore.

Edit: Actually, that’s not right. My first thought was to check if it was April 1st. The whole thing is very odd to me. Although, they did talk about wanting to be easier to find in a search, that certainly makes sense I guess.

ShadeofBlue fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 15, 2019

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ShadeofBlue posted:

They claimed that the content wasn’t changing, which is weird because the first thing I thought when they started talking about the rebranding was that they weren’t going to talk about modern anymore.

Edit: Actually, that’s not right. My first thought was to check if it was April 1st. The whole thing is very odd to me. Although, they did talk about wanting to be easier to find in a search, that certainly makes sense I guess.

When I saw the show notes I thought it was a joke. That's how bad I think this is.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

evilweasel posted:

they do not appear to have left themselves room to do a full cycle of one of the Future Sight lands since they said only five cards were reprints and those were basics, but they could do a colorshifted cycle of all of the future sight lands

gently caress that, gimme a completed Tainted land cycle for each color/basic combo.

https://scryfall.com/search?q=tainted+t%3Aland

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I'll take an Urborg and Cabal Coffers for each land type, thanks.

Actual speculation: They reprint and possibly finish the Signet Land cycle.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ShaneB posted:

When I saw the show notes I thought it was a joke. That's how bad I think this is.

Yaaaaaaah. The more I think about it, the worse it feels/sounds. I will say that rebranding in general is probably a good idea for them, but they chose a really awful name.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The Shortest Path posted:

I'll take an Urborg and Cabal Coffers for each land type, thanks.

Actual speculation: They reprint and possibly finish the Signet Land cycle.

Yeah I think they kind of painted themselves into a corner when it comes to a dual land cycle with their stance of "no cards currently legal in Modern other than basic lands". There aren't many dual land cycles that aren't already Modern-legal and those cycles either can't be reprinted (OG duals) or probably aren't powerful enough to cut it in Modern (everything else). I suppose they could print a new dual land cycle but it would probably feel bad cannibalizing an idea from a later set.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
If I sacrifice Chandra, Fire Artisan her passive that activates on removing tokens doesn't activate right?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yes, loyalty isn't removed when that happens.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Maybe it's just cause it's small on my phone, but who's Growlithe supposed to be?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Kurieg posted:

Maybe it's just cause it's small on my phone, but who's Growlithe supposed to be?

Sarkhan? or Huatli.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Lazav. They're all Lazav.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Sarkhan? or Huatli.

It's Arlinn's shoulder thing, I guess the black on the paws is supposed to be her hand-wrappings?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Arliinn should be a Lycanroc because they both look neat but are big disappointments.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oceanbound posted:

Lazav. They're all Lazav.

Ditto. They’re all Ditto.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Jace as Psyduck is the funniest poo poo

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/h0lydiva/status/1128651518595534848?s=20

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kurieg posted:

mowu

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Nice

Also mox opal is 112 bucks? :laffo:

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

didn't that deck originate here?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm sure that deck was simultaneously invented everywhere roughly the time that Charmed Stray was previewed.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Have people started screaming for a Karn the Great Creator or Mycosynth Lattice ban yet?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dehtraen posted:

Have people started screaming for a Karn the Great Creator or Mycosynth Lattice ban yet?

They will somewhat soonish I think, especially if the London mull is integrated. Karn is extremely powerful.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
It's a truly miserable combo that deserves a ban in commander at the very least

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It’s a pretty brutal combo tbqh, Karn don’t gently caress around and it makes tapping out vs. Tron sketchy as all hell once they hit even 7 mana unless you like them going Tower into Karn

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

ShaneB posted:

They will somewhat soonish I think, especially if the London mull is integrated. Karn is extremely powerful.

Yeah I think the problem with it is it's colorless so slots into any deck so it's cropping up everywhere now. Karn is really hard to deal with, and if you tap out at the wrong moment you are just locked out of the game since you can't even tap your lands for mana. It's a combo you can only "interact" with by preventing it, which is rough.

I can see it getting obnoxious enough to ban Lattice, since that doesn't really do any collateral damage, just shuts off an annoying "oops I win" combo creating some miserable games.

Don't ban Lattice in Commander, though. I play that in my Memnarch deck :getin:.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

sit on my Facebook posted:

Commander Cube is the second best format, behind just ahead of draft

Fixed!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Is anyone else's local facebook groups seeing mass bannings due to the mythic edition? I am typically seeing someone posting a mythic edition for less than you can buy it online and the dozens of idiots harassing them for "greed".

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

sit on my Facebook posted:

It's a truly miserable combo that deserves a ban in commander at the very least

It's substantially less powerful than hundreds of other combos which are legal in commander, why on earth would they ban it?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

Nice

Also mox opal is 112 bucks? :laffo:

I went to my store today to buy a pack just for the hell of it. I was talking about how Lattice had spiked and man there are like 15 rares in this set over $10! It's kind of crazy.

I pulled a Mystic Confluence.

The guy behind me who heard me talking was all "yeah I'll try too".

He pulled Lattice.

I am salt incarnate

all i needed was to buy one more pack

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

It's substantially less powerful than hundreds of other combos which are legal in commander, why on earth would they ban it?

Because it’s a one card combo that instantly ends the game on 10 mana and forces a 1 turn clock on earlier turns.

In a 99 card singleton format, having card 1 directly tutor for card two is bad news bears

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Framboise posted:

I went to my store today to buy a pack just for the hell of it. I was talking about how Lattice had spiked and man there are like 15 rares in this set over $10! It's kind of crazy.

I pulled a Mystic Confluence.

The guy behind me who heard me talking was all "yeah I'll try too".

He pulled Lattice.

I am salt incarnate

all i needed was to buy one more pack

Don't ever think that way. That's how you get the scratch-off monkey back on your back.

A few years back, I did the same with a pack of Avacyn Restored because my LGS had them on sale. I pulled a Descendants' Path. My friend who went right after me got Cavern of Souls.

Edit: Also, if people are looking for dumb spikes, check this poo poo out.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 15, 2019