Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I feel like we've gone too long without talking about Action Park, the most infamously dangerous water park in America. Multiple deaths, underage and undertrained employees, experimental ride designs made by unqualified engineers (including a looping water slide that didn't have an access hatch if you got stuck at the bottom until someone did), and insurance fraud to keep it all going. Still regarded by that generation from New Jersey as a place of wonder and beauty.

quote:

Action Park's 2,700-foot-long (820 m) alpine slide descended the mountain beneath one of the ski area's chairlifts, which provided guests access to the top of the slide. Riders sat on small sleds that had only a brake control stick, and rode down the slide in long chutes built into the slope. The ride, and more specifically the sleds, became notorious for causing injuries. The stick that was supposed to control the sled's speed in practice offered just two options on the infrequently maintained vehicles: extremely slow, and a speed described by one former employee as "death awaits". The chutes the sleds travelled in were made of concrete, fiberglass, and asbestos, which led to serious abrasions on riders who took even mild falls. The tendency of guests to ride in bathing suits made the problem worse. The path underneath the chairlift resulted in verbal harassment and spitting from passengers going up for their turn.

quote:

The Super Go Karts allowed guests to drive around a small loop track at a speed of about 20 miles per hour (32 km/h), controlled by the governor devices on the karts. However, park employees knew how to circumvent the governors by wedging tennis balls into them, and they were known to do so for guests. As a result, an otherwise standard small-engine kart ride became an opportunity to play bumper cars at 50 mph (80 km/h), and many injuries resulted from head-on collisions. Also, the kart's engines were poorly maintained and some riders were overcome by gasoline fumes as they drove.

quote:

The first patron death occurred here in 1982; another visitor drowned in this common water-park attraction five years later. It was, however, the number of people the lifeguards saved from a similar fate that made this the only Waterworld attraction to gain its own nickname, "The Grave Pool". It was 100 feet (30 m) wide by 250 feet (76 m) long and could hold 500 to 1,000 people. Waves were generated for 20 minutes at a time with 10-minute intervals between them, and could reach as much as 40 inches (1.0 m) in height. It was not always obvious that pool depth increased as one got closer to the far end, and there were patrons who only remembered or realized that they could not swim when they were in over their heads and the waves were going full blast. Even those who could swim sometimes exhausted themselves, causing patrons to crowd the side ladders as the waves began, leading to many accidents. Twelve lifeguards were on duty at all times, and on high-traffic weekends they were known to rescue as many as 30 people, compared to the one or two the average lifeguard might make in a typical season at a pool or lake. Mountain Creek continues to operate this attraction as the "High Tide Wavepool" but made the pool much shallower.

This is only a tiny fraction of what was wrong with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That go kart thing is on the visitors. Who the gently caress wants to play bumper cars in karts?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Spinning out your buddies is like, 80% of the reason you go karting at all.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I'm gonna try the wave pool.

Oh look, here comes the waves, get ready! haha

Wait, I forgot I don't know how to swim.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bronze Fonz posted:

I'm gonna try the wave pool.

Oh look, here comes the waves, get ready! haha

Wait, I forgot I don't know how to swim.

Apparently a big problem is that they did a ton of advertising in urban areas like New York City that had lower rates of knowledge how to swim, as well as doing a lot of Spanish-language advertising and then not hiring Spanish-speaking staff.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

chitoryu12 posted:

I feel like we've gone too long without talking about Action Park, the most infamously dangerous water park in America. Multiple deaths, underage and undertrained employees, experimental ride designs made by unqualified engineers (including a looping water slide that didn't have an access hatch if you got stuck at the bottom until someone did), and insurance fraud to keep it all going. Still regarded by that generation from New Jersey as a place of wonder and beauty.

I grew up on Long Island, but only went there once for a church group trip (we had Adventureland instead, a low-budget but much safer amusement park).

I must have ridden the Alpine Slide like, five times among the other rides there. And I only saw one guy who flew off his sled and scraped the skin off both forearms. I also remember a tube ride where you'd go down a slide, into a little pool like six times, and the way the pools were designed you'd kind of get stuck in a loop. I had to get off my tube for a moment and get it back by the slide to continue, and I only found out later that somebody died doing that when their foot hit a frayed wire underwater.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TVs Ian posted:

I grew up on Long Island, but only went there once for a church group trip (we had Adventureland instead, a low-budget but much safer amusement park).

I must have ridden the Alpine Slide like, five times among the other rides there. And I only saw one guy who flew off his sled and scraped the skin off both forearms. I also remember a tube ride where you'd go down a slide, into a little pool like six times, and the way the pools were designed you'd kind of get stuck in a loop. I had to get off my tube for a moment and get it back by the slide to continue, and I only found out later that somebody died doing that when their foot hit a frayed wire underwater.

The frayed wire was the kayak ride, which was probably closed by the time you got there.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Oh, poo poo, guys. The bonehead state workes are trying to do the exact same thing with the buoys in front of the waterfall outside my house.

When they showed up, they had a kayak in the back of their pickup, so I thought the were going to do the smart thing and tow the string of buoys across the pond, well away from the waterfall, but nope! The kayaks are staying nice and dry in the pickup and two chuckleheads just walked a long-rear end line across the bridge and then up the river, just like they did last time.

I'm not sure if they learned their lesson from last time, or if it's gonna be a repeat. Now taking bets. I'll take pics in case anything happens.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

null_pointer posted:

Oh, poo poo, guys. The bonehead state workes are trying to do the exact same thing with the buoys in front of the waterfall outside my house.

When they showed up, they had a kayak in the back of their pickup, so I thought the were going to do the smart thing and tow the string of buoys across the pond, well away from the waterfall, but nope! The kayaks are staying nice and dry in the pickup and two chuckleheads just walked a long-rear end line across the bridge and then up the river, just like they did last time.

I'm not sure if they learned their lesson from last time, or if it's gonna be a repeat. Now taking bets. I'll take pics in case anything happens.

At this point you should set up a camera on a tripod and just wait.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I mean ... I guess this is better than just having some dude holding the string? Maybe?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Sitting on my picnic table. They've started trying to pull it across.

EDIT: Nuthin. The current isn't nearly as strong and they learned their lesson about keeping tension on the tow-line, so they're in no danger of the buoys going over the edge of the falls, this time. Live-poo poo-posting has now ended.

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 15, 2019

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Kanine posted:

:mica shop legends:

ive got more if anyone is curious

Ah good, his stories are showing up in the outside world, this is delicious.

Whenever I'm up visiting and he starts a story with "OH! Something amazing happened in the shop today!" my gut response is "how many toes did the person lose this time?" Many students from outside the sculpture program end up coming in and expecting to be able to do things with no prep and no training, and at least some are so laughably underprepared as to come in with flip flops and shorts. Have fun with the slag burns, I guess.

Ask him about what happens when you bypass the safety on a nail gun if you still do work in the shop and have time for it. A drunk marine ends up shooting it like a machine gun at some random board and puts a nail through his hand and doesn't end up seeking medical attention for it, just pulled it out with pliers

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

coke posted:

it’s like that time someone got internally burnt after putting cement up their butt.
Something something funneling hot tar something traffic cone

null_pointer posted:

I mean ... I guess this is better than just having some dude holding the string? Maybe?

I love the use of 5 feet of rope without an actual knot involved.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember reading about "traction" park.

Its been a while, but I think my favorite was something like "we closed the skateboard park after a year, buried it and pretended it never existed".

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

chitoryu12 posted:

There is an entertaining Dollop episode all about it!

https://thedollop.libsyn.com/87-action-park

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Defunct land did a great episode on Action Park too!

https://youtu.be/flkW-ceNvck

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Missing the important third point "getting paid to poo poo"

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Garfield: I get paid to poo poo in a box, I love mondays!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Boss is paid a dollar, I'm paid a dime,
That's why I drop massive bowel-nuking steaming turboshit loads that have personally destroyed three turlets and made 4 workers and an accounts payable clerk cry on the companies dime.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
I'm literally allowed sleep on the job. Got 3 hours this morning.
After I washed my car and did my laundry with employers equipment of course.
Public service EMS life.
:smuggo:

Speaking of which. I was ironing my shirts at work and our iron started sparking. I took a video but never reported it. :shrug:

https://streamable.com/meo6d

Not sure how to embedd streamable on phone.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/PjOI7IJ.gifv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's a reversed gif.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Happened a few weeks ago but I don't recall it coming up

quote:

A US farmer says he had "no other choice" but to cut off his own mangled leg with a pocket knife after it became trapped in farm machinery.

Nebraskan man Kurt Kaser, 63, was unloading corn last month when he accidentally stepped on the opening of his grain auger and his leg was sucked inside.

He said he had removed part of the safety screen covering the hopper to make it fit under a bin after the ground on his farm had frozen in the winter.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-16/nebraska-farmer-amputates-own-leg-with-a-pocket-knife/11118088

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's why I drop massive bowel-nuking steaming turboshit loads that have personally destroyed three turlets and made 4 workers and an accounts payable clerk cry on the companies dime.

Please don't doxx me.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

chitoryu12 posted:

The defunctland episode on Action Park is excellent https://youtu.be/flkW-ceNvck

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I'm literally allowed sleep on the job. Got 3 hours this morning.
After I washed my car and did my laundry with employers equipment of course.
Public service EMS life.
:smuggo:

Are you me?

911 dispatcher here

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Direct action gets the goods

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

Which plane was it that was assembled to a minimum possible flying condition at one facility and flown a short distance to another for major rework and finishing?

Military Airplane Boneyards and Scrapping Depots After World War II

quote:

As many as 250 airplanes arrived each day. An estimated 10,000 to 11,000 warplanes were flown to Walnut Ridge in 1945 and 1946 for storage , sale, or scrapping. At least 65 of the military’s 118 Consolidated B-32 "Dominator" heavy bombers were flown to Walnut Ridge, many straight from the assembly line in Fort Worth. Also, large quantities of Curtiss P-40 Warhawk fighters were stored there awaiting the smelter; many of these were stored vertically to save space.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

ah gently caress, hell

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/HzaXCqY.mp4

Crews responded to the Devon Tower in downtown Oklahoma City at around 7:45 a.m. local time.

The Oklahoma City Fire department was able to secure the basket as of 8:25 a.m., and the two window washers were safe by 8:49 a.m.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

starkebn posted:

Crews responded to the Devon Tower in downtown Oklahoma City at around 7:45 a.m. local time.

The Oklahoma City Fire department was able to secure the basket as of 8:25 a.m., and the two window washers were safe by 8:49 a.m.

OH MY loving GOD

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks like a fun park ride

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!

starkebn posted:

It was doing that for over 30 minutes? gently caress

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

OH MY loving GOD

:stare:

Whatever they get paid to do that job, they are making waaaaaaay too little.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://www.newsweek.com/ohio-school-closed-enriched-uranium-discovered-radiation-cancer-1424704

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

It was doing that for over 30 minutes? gently caress

At least forty minutes of Mister Bone’s Wild Ride and another twenty‐four during which the basket was “secure” but the windowwashers were decidedly not “safe”.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No poo poo posted:

OHIO SCHOOL CLOSED AFTER ENRICHED URANIUM DISCOVERED INSIDE: ‘WE AREN'T PREPARED FOR SOMETHING LIKE THIS’

lol

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/lscU3xD.mp4

I hope he's goin somewhere good

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

This part might be germane:

Newsweek posted:

The site is now subject to an environmental cleanup under the supervision of the Department of Energy. Department officials told WLWT, “Routine air samples in the area of DOE Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant in Piketon revealed trace amounts of two radiological isotopes that were more than one thousand to ten thousand times below the established threshold of public health concern. DOE treats all detections seriously—even those that are at such low levels.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

Nude posted:

I need more accidents.

why?