Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Sakura Wars is the same sort of vaguely weird as the Raidou SMT games where they sorta make a world where all that WW1/WW2 stuff never happens.

So, yes, kinda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Karasu Tengu posted:

Sakura Wars is the same sort of vaguely weird as the Raidou SMT games where they sorta make a world where all that WW1/WW2 stuff never happens.

So, yes, kinda.
Oh yeah for sure, at least you're fighting monsters instead of doing warcrimes though

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Isn't that what most soldiers are told though? :thunk:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Now all the stuff in SB that evokes comfort women and repeated instances of wartime rapes, that's some poo poo

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Does the fact that it's an Asian-inspired nation or the fact that it's written by Japanese (the nation that did the Occupation) writers mean that this story is inherently loaded in a way that is completely seperate from the context?

I mean, would we even be having this discussion if it was an American written story about a fictional South American country?

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Honest question, are the othard regions supposed to be analogues to their real world counterparts, or is it just that they took stylistic inspiration for those regions? Cause like, I was never sure how to feel about the people with Japanese names being the rightful rulers of the area that resembles China even though there's a different region that resembles Japan. That's kind of why I reduced it to "they're fictional countries, don't worry about it." I figured the countries and politics of the region were made to support the story the devs want to tell and trying to draw comparisons to real world locations raises a lot of questions the game isn't looking to answer.

There are two prevailing thoughts on Doma right now as far as I can tell. The first is the obvious, its a reference to FF6 so it had to have Samurai regardless of anything else as the potentially most famous Samurai in the series came from Doma. The second is that they thought that showing CHINA being occupied by the Garleans was considered too much of a dangerous thing with their Chinese market and might have caused issues with selling it there either due to the government or just people there. So they decided to play it safe and made them Japanese people with Chinese themes, at least slightly obfuscating that they had made a China in their game that had been occupied by the Garleans who all look fairly Japanese in this area seemingly.....if kinda Stormtrooper-esque Japanese.

I forget the exact reasoning someone gave for the second line of thought way back when I'd heard it though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Chaeden posted:

There are two prevailing thoughts on Doma right now as far as I can tell. The first is the obvious, its a reference to FF6 so it had to have Samurai regardless of anything else as the potentially most famous Samurai in the series came from Doma. The second is that they thought that showing CHINA being occupied by the Garleans was considered too much of a dangerous thing with their Chinese market and might have caused issues with selling it there either due to the government or just people there. So they decided to play it safe and made them Japanese people with Chinese themes, at least slightly obfuscating that they had made a China in their game that had been occupied by the Garleans who all look fairly Japanese in this area seemingly.....if kinda Stormtrooper-esque Japanese.

I forget the exact reasoning someone gave for the second line of thought way back when I'd heard it though.

A mostly-Japanese-like nation where fantasy China would be on the map has other connotations though. Sounds like a bit of a lose-lose situation if that was the case.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
Not-Europe, Not-Middle East, Not-Russia, Not-India, Not-China, Not-Mongolia, Not-Japan

I'm don't think we really have a feel for what Meracydia is supposed to be though, Not-Scandanavia?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
What are my best options for Crystal Sand? I can turn 600 Poetics into one via Unidentified items and I can turn 25000 GC seals into one via Moonstones, any other easy routes? The Astral/Umbral materia one is too expensive and I don't know how had most of the other items are to get. Does this still work?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Pierson posted:

What are my best options for Crystal Sand? I can turn 600 Poetics into one via Unidentified items and I can turn 25000 GC seals into one via Moonstones, any other easy routes? The Astral/Umbral materia one is too expensive and I don't know how had most of the other items are to get. Does this still work?

Do you have any crafters or gatherers at custom deliveries level? You can convert red scrip into blue scrip tokens and it's five blue tokens for two sand. Can also do it with collectable turn ins but custom delivery is faster for more scrip.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

Pierson posted:

I did it with Red Scrips but that requires you to have gatherers leveled.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I think it's kinda funny that the playerbase has been screeching for SE to give them a kimono or something similar since Stormblood was announced, and now that they finally get one it's the worst thing ever.

Pierson posted:

The vilekin thing totally still works, but really you should just do your custom deliveries and buy crystal sands with scrips -> blue tokens, if memory serves. Check the exchange first obviously, but it's incredibly time efficient. Hope you have a crafter or gatherer leveled.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Pierson posted:

What are my best options for Crystal Sand? I can turn 600 Poetics into one via Unidentified items and I can turn 25000 GC seals into one via Moonstones, any other easy routes?

Most of the Unidentified items can be obtained via varying Beast Tribe currencies, and one Moonstone per day can be acquired via the Ixali Deliverance quest. Only other way beyond that is to have a level 70 Gatherer and mass farm red scrip, which you can exchange at a rate of 125 scrip for 1 Crystal Sand.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Kaubocks posted:

just had someone in an LDR tell me that SAM aoe damage breakpoint was tenka goken is dps gain at 3+ targets but the aoe combo abilities were 4+

this true?

Tenka goken is a dps gain at 2 targets. 2 sen versus 3 for 720 potency. They're more or less right about 4+ for the aoe rotation, but I tend to do it at 3 regardless, just because the damage difference is tiny by potency counts and doing the real math on it is too complex for my dumb brain (damage drop off calculations, hissss). Generally for 3 targets, if the other person I'm with is doing AE, I will AE and if they are doing single target, I will single target too.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 15, 2019

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

You can also get unidentified items and moonstones from beast tribes, for what that's worth.

Scrip is still far, far better, if you have any crafters or gatherers high enough.

e:f;b

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
combo-e:f,b but whatever

Pierson posted:

Amber encased vilekin should still work and it's the best way if you don't need your leve allowances for crafters/gatherers and don't have red scrips available.

Red scrips (from crafting/gathering collectibles and custom deliveries) are great if you have them and don't need them (anymore). You can get a lot of crystal sand for a week or two of custom deliveries.

GC seals for moonstones (it's 20k per turnin I think?) is alright if you're regularly running level 55+ dungeons, but it's very slow.

And since the other part of the relic step, Umbrite, also takes poetics, it's not a good idea to buy the crystal sand with poetics too, even though it looks sort of cheap (you buy thavnairian mist and something else, not unidentified mats)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You can do the Blue Mage weeklies to get a chunk of poetics for that and other relic steps.
Warning: This requires you to have like 90%+ of the skills or there will be challenges you literally will not be able to do.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thank guys. I've severely ignored crafting since ARR so they're all at 50 and only my Alchemist is at 57 because of Mog quests. Vilekin and assorted other bullshit it is.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Pierson posted:

Thank guys. I've severely ignored crafting since ARR so they're all at 50 and only my Alchemist is at 57 because of Mog quests. Vilekin and assorted other bullshit it is.

You can unlock them at 60, so you're almost there on Alchemist!

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

Tenka goken is a dps gain at 2 targets. 2 sen versus 3 for 720 potency. They're more or less right about 4+ for the aoe rotation, but I tend to do it at 3 regardless, just because the damage difference is tiny by potency counts and doing the real math on it is too complex for my dumb brain (damage drop off calculations, hissss). Generally for 3 targets, if the other person I'm with is doing AE, I will AE and if they are doing single target, I will single target too.

math!!!!!!! :argh:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Sacro posted:

Not-Europe, Not-Middle East, Not-Russia, Not-India, Not-China, Not-Mongolia, Not-Japan

I'm don't think we really have a feel for what Meracydia is supposed to be though, Not-Scandanavia?

They have a probable not-Scandanavia way up North, the island chain of Aerslaent. It's where the Roegadyn came from, with their pre-marauder, pre-warrior viking class.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

people follow the story? lol. i'm 30 levels in and have no clue what's happening.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The game starts off slow, but from the lead-up of Heavensward on, it probably has the best mainline Final Fantasy story.

Take that as you will.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The game starts off slow, but from the lead-up of Heavensward on, it probably has the best mainline Final Fantasy story.

Take that as you will.

ffxiv doesn't have blitzball so i can't fathom a world where this is true

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Take that as you will.

i mean it's an mmo the "story" is supposed to be background/setting. it's gonna own getting to the end and having no idea why i fought any of these people.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It guides you through the content. That's just the way the game is set up. Like it or not.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean it's an mmo the "story" is supposed to be background/setting. it's gonna own getting to the end and having no idea why i fought any of these people.

There are story-focused MMOs. Secret World immediately comes to mind, as an MMO that a lot of people played for the story.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah even if you don't read *any* quest/dialogue text and skip all cutscenes you'll have a rough idea of what's going on just from where you're going and what items you're collecting and poo poo.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

homeless snail posted:

Not entirely, because no one ever willingly chose to wear yellow stars, it was explicitly something the Germans used to mark others. Japanization during the occupation of Korea is one of the fastest and most aggressive periods of cultural assimilation in history though, they rewrote Korean history to make them historically Japanese, they forced them to speak Japanese, take Japanese names, and yes wear Japanese clothing. If you're outside of that cultural context though, these are just the clothes your grandparents wore. Japanese people see that stuff in old photos the same way we see flapper outfits.

I've been trying to think of similar examples and there really aren't any. The New World stuff in this game is not quite the same either, because that's a case of cultural appropriation rather than something that is inherently offensive to a group of people. Closest thing I can think of is the queue, the Manchurian hairstyle the Qing dynasty forced everyone to wear.

With the popularity of Sakura Taisen in China, and reading the ad copy on the thing, I think they're just trying to trade on the new game coming out this year. Is Sakura Taisen problematic also?

I guess the best way to view it is if after America conquered Iraq the higher ups, in the pursuit of COIN ops forced all of citizens to speak English , take English names and wear blue jeans and t-shirts under the threat of death. To majority of Americans, 30 years later it just what people wore at the time, but to Iraq it would be a symbol of oppression to wear that outfit.

He should not have compared it to Nazi uniforms as no one today will look back to photos of Nazi or SS solders and say "that was just how everyone dressed back then"

I think my issue with this even though it is very problematic; I do not think its on the level of concern they are making out to be as I do not think Square was trying to offend the entire Korean population by making a Japanese "Nazi" uniform playable in-game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nah, FF14 isn't like other MMOs in that regard. Like others have said, 1-50 is kinda the weakest stretch of the plot. That having been said, things do get better around 35 if only because that's when the real plot starts to kick in for ARR.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's a final fantasy game

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

The story in FF 14 loving owns

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mikeycp posted:

it's a final fantasy game

i don't remember 11 having a full blown story you went through. i remember my brother smashing crabs.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Ffxi's story is basically the only reason anyone remembers it positively

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tormented posted:

I think my issue with this even though it is very problematic; I do not think its on the level of concern they are making out to be as I do not think Square was trying to offend the entire Korean population by making a Japanese "Nazi" uniform playable in-game.

Intent is a moot point. The fact is they did offend at least some people with it. I don’t know if it’s all Korean people or just some of them, but it happened regardless of intent.

Gonna guess that they’ll line up some kind of apology, but the bigger factor here isn’t even the offense, it’s that Japan is really bad about admitting these things even happened.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Tormented posted:

I guess the best way to view it is if after America conquered Iraq the higher ups, in the pursuit of COIN ops forced all of citizens to speak English , take English names and wear blue jeans and t-shirts under the threat of death. To majority of Americans, 30 years later it just what people wore at the time, but to Iraq it would be a symbol of oppression to wear that outfit.

The most direct analog for people in the US would be taking Native American kids, putting them in Western-style outfits in Western-style academies, and teaching them English but not allowing them to speak their own language or practice their own culture. Which is also a thing that happened.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

i don't remember 11 having a full blown story you went through. i remember my brother smashing crabs.

ffxi had - still has, I guess - a fairly involved story, it’s just that back in the day you had to kill 25,000 crabs before you could do most of it

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Ffxi's story is basically the only reason anyone remembers it positively

Nah, the story largely sucks. Most players remembered the brutal difficulty that forced cooperation and made poo poo feel earned.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

frodnonnag posted:

Nah, the story largely sucks. Most players remembered the brutal difficulty that forced cooperation and made poo poo feel earned.

yeah i never played but from my brother (who was an eq nut) it just seemed like japanese everquest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
11s main plot points were pretty good unfortunately surrounded by a game that likes to dance on your balls in high heels.

It would have been fine as a single player FF story entry. At least the Windurst storyline. Ajido-Marujido could have been Kefka levels of badass.