Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will LiS2 feature more dead/deabeat parents than LiS1/BTS?
Yes
No
Paul Zuvella, what you are asking it literally not possible.
View Results

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Necrothatcher posted:

BTW, highly recommend flicking back through Sean's journal to see what the boys got up in between episodes.

I very much second this. I'm always a fan of a good journal/sketchbook in a videogame (Night in the Woods, Red Dead Redemption II and the Uncharted series are also great on this front), but I think Sean's steadily expanding collection of psychological anguish and furry art is my personal favourite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of miss the more detailed journal entries, character bios and text messages from previous titles but the sketchbook approach is cool. Plus since the past two episodes began on a bit of a time jump the journal provides some much needed backstory to get you up to speed.

That said, while Lyla coming back into the fold is probably out of the question at this point (barring maybe a cameo at the very end) I kind of hope Cassidy and maybe some of the others we met at the camp stick around a bit longer as while I thought she was kind of cool last time, this episode really turned her into one of my favorite characters.

In fact I think this might be the first LiS game where I actually prefer the straight pairing over the gay one (I don’t hate Finn per se but he is kind of a huge dumbass).

While I didn’t have as much of a problem with the game as some people seemed to, Episode 3 is essentially the point where Life is Strange 2 really became good for me. Hopefully this momentum continues into the last two chapters (especially since so far LiS games tend to have somewhat disappointing finales).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 15, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This... uh... went places. I think I need an adult

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Finn is honestly one of the most vile characters I think this series has ever seen, in a series filled with dudes who beat their stepdaughts and also features rapists and murderers. I wanted nothing more than to let him get executed on the loving spot but that seemed like a really bad thing to have my stupid virtual little brother go through so I had to intervene.

Cassidy, a woman who I assumed is in her mid 20s at least porking a 16 year old boy who is going through massive personal trauma is also pretty hosed up but hey who am I to judge. I guess they get away with it by never actually saying how old she is. All the folks who think Sean is dead are pretty funny, there is no way sean is dead he is the goddamn main character lol

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

There is no official source that mentions Cassidy’s age. However, if you do the second optional drawing (sit in the chair outside your tent after returning to the camp from your first day of work) you’ll get a conversation with her that implies she ran away from home after her racist dad beat the poo poo out of her last boyfriend and her older brother physically threatened her.

With that in mind it’s possible that she could be around Sean’s age if not a year or two older. But who knows, regardless I still like her better than Finn.

He likely may have lost an eye but I personally doubt Sean is dead either. I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a section later on where we play as Daniel though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 15, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

gonna be crazy when we start episode 4 playing as Raiden

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 15, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Cassidy, a woman who I assumed is in her mid 20s at least

I figured she was at most 18/19.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Isn't one of the leaked achievements for episode four called A change in perspective and has a camera as the pic? Playable Max or bust, baby!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Isn't one of the leaked achievements for episode four called A change in perspective and has a camera as the pic? Playable Max or bust, baby!

Simply a statement referring to our heros new found lack of depth perception.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Necrothatcher posted:

I figured she was at most 18/19.

My first job right out of college was working with a bunch of hippies and I totally had Cassidy pegged as 18 or 19 because she was exactly like one of the girls in my group. Right down to "ran away from home because my racist methhead dad didn't want me dating a black guy." It was uncanny really.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Yeah, add me as well to the people that knew someone that received similar threats. It's depressingly realistic.

On a side note, I'm listening to the Before the Storm soundtrack again and it's still hella good.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 15, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

Yeah, add me as well to the people that knew someone that received similar threats. It's depressingly realistic.

On a side note, I'm listening to the Before the Storm soundtrack again and it's still hella good.

Speaking of which, has the OST for Life is Strange 2 been released yet?

It’s not quite as good as the previous games were in regards to music but the last two episodes have had some decent tracks at least (I Found a Way is probably the best song in the game so far, at least in my opinion)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 16, 2019

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
If I may make a prediction or two about Episode Four....

I say that the focus will now shift to Daniel who takes Sean's place as the player character with Sean himself nowhere to be seen, having either been a casualty of the destruction of the drug baron's home or simply missing in action with his fate left ambiguous for now. Jacob will have spirited the younger brother away into the night, having found him in the wreckage and still convinced that God meant for him to take this remarkable young boy under his wing.

When Daniel awakens from his coma, he finds himself in Jacob's hometown. The place he was exiled from before joining the weed farm. Sooner or later, the minister mentioned by Jacob will discover Daniel's secret and declare him to be either the Messiah reborn or the Anti-Christ. But whatever she tells her community and whether she honestly believes what she's saying, she has a sinister agenda and Daniel just became a pawn in it.

What say the rest of you?

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 17, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No, but also spoiler text that poo poo my man

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure about the rest of it but we are in fact headed to Jacob's home state of Nevada next time (you can see it on one of the signs in the background) and a lot of the achievement names for that episode seem to have something to do with religion. As such I'm assuming that whoever we're following next time around is going to run into the community/cult that Jacob left behind and get involved with them somehow.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Honestly, it's not just that Episode Four seems very likely to take place in Jacob's hometown. Along with Cassidy and Finn, he got to see Daniel's power during the first incident in the drug baron's office. It feels like a big deal that that happened. There wouldn't have been any need for his presence unless the writer was laying the ground for something yet to come. I know a Chekhov's weed-farmer when I see one.

I'll be very surprised if we've seen the last of the guy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wouldn’t doubt it. Also, some of his behavior in this episode makes me think that the final obstacle in this game is going to be Daniel himself.

We’ve got the power to move or destroy basically anything in the hands of an emotionally unstable child with very little self-control and I think he kind of crossed a major line this time around. I wouldn’t be surprised if this comes to a head in the finale/relates directly to the final choice of the game (in other words, the whole parenting simulator thing isn’t to turn Daniel into a better person but rather to control how big of a monster he inevitably becomes), plus a few of his lines in this episode sound like something a super villain would say.

He does still seem to feel guilt for his actions (and almost all of them are done out of impulse) but the severity of those actions seems to be increasing as the game goes on (he killed the cop at the beginning and can potentially kill the puma in episode 2 after all). Time will tell of course.

I think one of the writers once cited the novel Of Mice and Men as one of the major inspirations for Season 2’s plot so I’m wondering now if the final choice of the game is going to be whether or not to put Daniel down as his power is becoming way too dangerous.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 17, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Eshettar posted:

I say that the focus will now shift to Daniel who takes Sean's place as the player character with Sean himself nowhere to be seen, having either been a casualty of the destruction of the drug baron's home or simply missing in action with his fate left ambiguous for now. Jacob will have spirited the younger brother away into the night, having found him in the wreckage and still convinced that God meant for him to take this remarkable young boy under his wing.

When Daniel awakens from his coma, he finds himself in Jacob's hometown. The place he was exiled from before joining the weed farm. Sooner or later, the minister mentioned by Jacob will discover Daniel's secret and declare him to be either the Messiah reborn or the Anti-Christ. But whatever she tells her community and whether she honestly believes what she's saying, she has a sinister agenda and Daniel just became a pawn in it.

No.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I had Jacksepticeye's part 3 of this episode pop up in my recommended videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATUT3FJ5ls

I clicked on it on a whim, and two things:

1) Holy poo poo I'm glad I didn't choose to get a haircut, cause... jesus.
2) I had NO idea there was a version of this scene where Daniel loving force chokes Cassidy :stare:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

2) I had NO idea there was a version of this scene where Daniel loving force chokes Cassidy :stare:

Yeah, I just looked up that scene and holy poo poo Daniel, that was way too far. Out of curiosity, what choices do you have to make in order for that particular scenario to happen?

This also kind of leads further credence to my theory that Daniel may become a serious threat later on and all the parenting simulator aspect of the game is doing is just mitigating how bad it inevitably gets.

For example, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a scene later on like with the cougar who killed Mushroom last episode, only this time there’s an actual human being at Daniel’s mercy and you have to make a snap decision.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 18, 2019

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Larryb posted:

For example, I wouldn’t be surprised if we got a scene later on like with the cougar who killed Mushroom last episode, only this time there’s an actual human being at Daniel’s mercy and you have to make a snap decision.

I'm half-expecting a scene like that where you don't get to make a decision at all. It'd be interesting if the game didn't have a final choice and the ending was determined entirely by how you've raised Daniel. We've already seen the potential for that with the ending of 'Rules'.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Man, I’m enjoying this season but this episode had some abysmal voice acting. Did they just allow one take for Merrill or what

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rith posted:

I'm half-expecting a scene like that where you don't get to make a decision at all. It'd be interesting if the game didn't have a final choice and the ending was determined entirely by how you've raised Daniel. We've already seen the potential for that with the ending of 'Rules'.

Having the final ending of the game be determined by what you did up to that point as opposed to it all coming down to one big choice at the end is an interesting idea, yeah. BtS sort of did that as aside from the hospital scene the game technically only had one ending but there were variations on a few parts depending on some of your choices throughout. As you mentioned, the most recent two episodes of LiS 2 also had multiple variations on the ending even if they all essentially lead to the same point.

In other words, just take that and expand upon it (of course it would also be a good idea to list all the various endings in the results screen so the player is aware that they had a choice in the matter). It would be a pretty decent way of increasing replay value as well.

In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole child rearing aspect of the game is over now and the rest is more or less about trying to save Daniel from himself.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 18, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I had Jacksepticeye's part 3 of this episode pop up in my recommended videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATUT3FJ5ls

I clicked on it on a whim, and two things:

1) Holy poo poo I'm glad I didn't choose to get a haircut, cause... jesus.

Yeah I got that and also Finn died because I kept Daniel from using his power. Probably irreparable trauma done there. Oh well!

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Eshettar posted:

I think you're somewhat on point with Jacob taking Daniel to his community but the sibling dynamic is too integral to the series to ditch. The episode will probably start with Sean in custody (it's clearly him the cop in the preview is talking to) and escaping to catch up with Daniel.

Also, calling it now - the racoon is a narc.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm still kind of curious how they're going to handle the trailer/promotion for Episode 4 without spoiling anything. In the trailer for Episode 4 of the original they carefully edited around any scenes featuring Chloe so as to preserve the twist from the previous episode but in this case we've got one brother (temporarily) out of commission and the other one is MIA (the figure in the preview was wearing Sean's backpack but that doesn't really prove anything) so it’ll be interesting to see how they wind up handling that.

Unrelated but I'm assuming the shot of the figure walking and the cop's speech are spliced together from two different scenes (as others have said, it's likely that Sean will wake up in a hospital next episode and wind up having to escape).

On a less important note, unless I missed something the dialogue from the preview at the end of Rules (where Daniel comments that the weed farm looks like a nettle field and Cassidy says she'll show them around) is nowhere to be found in Episode 3 itself. But then again, it wouldn't be the first time an LiS game changed something between a preview and an actual episode.

For example, the teaser at the end of BtS' first episode showed Chloe with her back against a door that Damon was banging on but the actual second episode kept the dialogue but had her just standing in the room with Mikey instead. Also, the aforementioned trailer for Episode 4 of the original contained an unused line from Nathan screaming about the storm.

The trailer I’m talking about if anyone’s curious:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=fnQ8VSio4RA

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 18, 2019

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

Karpaw posted:

I think you're somewhat on point with Jacob taking Daniel to his community but the sibling dynamic is too integral to the series to ditch. The episode will probably start with Sean in custody (it's clearly him the cop in the preview is talking to) and escaping to catch up with Daniel.

Also, calling it now - the racoon is a narc.

When you put it like that, I have a tough time disagreeing. Your interpretation of our brief glimpse of what the future holds would explain why Sean is on his own. The road sign would also indicate that he's bound for Jacob's hometown with the goal of reuniting with his lost wolf brother.

The one thing I will not, cannot believe for one moment is your prediction about the raccoon. I am shocked. Outraged. How dare you speak ill of Earth's greatest hero? As if Captain Spirit would ever sell his team-mates out to Mantroid like that!

Eshettar fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 19, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As mentioned, the figure in the preview is wearing Sean’s backpack but Daniel was also seen walking the way said figure was back in Episode 1 and it’s possible he could have taken the backpack with him when he fled (the figure looks a bit too tall to be Daniel though). The cop’s speech during the preview was obviously taken from a different scene however (I’m assuming Sean will begin the episode having to escape from a hospital).

Hell, maybe we’ll be following both brothers separately next time, switching back and forth as the episode goes on and then both stories come back together by the end

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone still hasn’t checked out the Life is Strange comic yet the first 4 issues are now available as a single volume:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1130857191559245826?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Also a reminder that this is now an ongoing monthly series and issue #5 will be available on the 29th

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 21, 2019

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Issue 5 of the comic is out and we begin a new story arc.

To recap: At the end of the last arc Max created a new reality where Rachel was still alive, Season 1 never happened and Chloe and Rachel actually made it to LA.

That said, not a whole lot to this one so far. Max is now living in LA with Chloe and Rachel and it’s revealed near the end that Rachel’s taken a theatre job in another state (which seems to cause some tension between her and Chloe). Also, Max is being followed by a mysterious young man in a black jacket that apparently only she can see.

Not a bad start overall though. This is now an ongoing monthly series from here on and #6 will be out on June 26.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 30, 2019

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I just looked up that scene and holy poo poo Daniel, that was way too far. Out of curiosity, what choices do you have to make in order for that particular scenario to happen?

I got that in my playthrough, and I was basically all in on Cassidy and kind of a dick to Daniel which doesn't seem uncommon. I wonder if decisions from earlier episodes play into it .

Was a bit slow in actually playing this episode - I enjoyed the first two without loving them - but I really dug it. I liked having a bit of time to breathe with some new characters and I overall really liked the writing (especially the quieter moments). It's still frustrating how impotent Sean seems in terms of being able to affect the story beats, and there's the classic 'dialogue not coming out how the choice implies it will' stuff, but at least for the former it can be somewhat forgiven by having Daniel be a straight up far more powerful character than Sean. The ending was a nice cliffhanger and has me pretty keen to see what the future holds.

I wasn't super hot on them opening back in Seattle but playing 'spot the foreshadowing' was fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This episode honestly felt the most like a classic Life is Strange game to me (mostly in that the majority of it took place in a community filled with a variety of characters to interact with).

As for Daniel, I’ve said it before but I’m starting to think that maybe the whole parent simulator aspect of the first few episodes wasn’t so much about turning Daniel into a better person but rather about controlling just how far he inevitably falls.

On a side note, Sean/Finn is apparently super popular among the fandom currently and I have no idea why.

Off the subject, is there any chance of us getting a glimpse of Deck Nine’s new project (which may or may not be Life is Strange related) at E3 this year?

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Larryb posted:

On a side note, Sean/Finn is apparently super popular among the fandom currently and I have no idea why.

To some extent, it might be the nature of the fanbase Life Is Strange 2 inherited from the original Life Is Strange. The queer coming-of-age story aspect of the first game resonated with a lot of fans, so they might be excited about the possibility of exploring a similar type of story with Sean. And there's certainly plenty of Sean/Finn material in canon; pairings have become hugely popular with much less to go on!

I am a little surprised that Sean/Finn has so quickly eclipsed every other relationship in the game in terms of fandom output, though. There's still some interest in the brotherly relationship between Sean and Daniel, but otherwise it's Sean/Finn as far as the eye can see. Still, I'm glad a fandom for this game actually exists now!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's the internet, everybody wants everything to be gay at all times, and gay with each other also.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah it’s not the gay aspect that bothers me, it’s more that in this case Finn is kind of a terrible person and I like Cassidy better.

But to each their own I suppose (there are still some weird people out there who ship Max/Jefferson for some reason after all).

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Larryb posted:

it’s more that in this case Finn is kind of a terrible person and I like Cassidy better.

But to each their own I suppose (there are still some weird people out there who ship Max/Jefferson for some reason after all).

True, but terrible people are interesting! Chloe is a terrible person in her own way, and most of the fanbase loves her. Jefferson is an extremely terrible person, but, as you point out, he has his own dedicated fans. Max/Jefferson would be hosed-up and horrible, but I'd read it before Max/Warren, which commits the worse sin (in my eyes, at least) of being dull. (These are strictly my priorities for fictional relationships, I should clarify, and in real life dull relationships are a lot better than terrible ones.)

That said, I am a little surprised that there's so much Sean/Finn in comparison to Sean/Cassidy. I really thought Sean/Cassidy would have a fanbase of its own, but Sean/Finn has over ten times the amount of fanfiction Sean/Cassidy does.

The main draw of the game for me is the dynamic between the brothers, so I'm happy so long as people don't forget Daniel exists.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I disagree about Chloe as despite being a bit rough around the edges she’s basically a good person at heart with a lot of honestly pretty admirable qualities (and some of the other people in her life aren’t exactly blameless either), but I understand why some people wouldn’t care much for her either.

Aside from maybe thinking that he has the Diaz brothers’ best interests at heart there doesn’t really seem to be a whole lot to like about Finn so far (in my opinion anyway). That may be due in part to him not being around all that long but Cassidy’s had the exact same amount of screen time and is a much more compelling character in my opinion (which is why I find it weird that there’s so little fan material regarding her so far).

Of course, we still don’t know if either of these two are going to factor into the last two episodes or not (barring some kind of “where are they now” segment at the very end) so it’s possible that whatever relationship you chose isn’t ultimately going to matter much going forward.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 6, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Just imagine how bad Finn smells

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

But Life is Strange is supposed to be about [Sad] Lesbians in the Pacific Northwest! We're all the way down in California now, and these are merely male gays. No, no, won't do at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of which, through messing around a bit I’ve found it is actually possible to kiss both Cassidy and Finn should you so choose:

-When you get back to the camp, talk to Cassidy then go back and talk to Finn and agree to the heist (the order doesn’t really matter I don’t think)

-When you’re at the lake with Cassidy and she asks about Finn’s plan you will now have the option to either lie to her or tell the truth, lie and the scene will play out like normal.

-Doing this will get you an extra scene where Finn and Daniel meet up with the two back at camp and everything comes out, at which point Cassidy gets pissed and storms off and the game continues down the Finn route from there (you’ll also get a similar scene if you told the truth only in that case Cassidy won’t be there).

Both versions of the aforementioned scene can be seen here:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=n2XhYEJdu7w

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 6, 2019