Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mrenda posted:

But if you put an acorn atop a mountain on the cover of a book no-one would know it's a fantasy novel, so no.

What if the acorn was fighting a chick with titty armor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What if the acorn was fighting a chick with titty armor

Then it's probably sci-fi and the acorn is now an alien or space man.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
the flexibility of the term dragon should be indicated by the fact that we use the same word for both the eastern and western creatures which are in every way very different beings

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
also dragons have become standardized in fantasy since tolkien; in the middle ages they're a lot more diverse. sometimes they breathe fire, but a lot of times they breathe or spit poison. sometimes they fly, sometimes they just slither around. sometimes they look like crocodiles, sometimes they shapeshift into pretty ladies

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Mel Mudkiper posted:

the most miserable experience of my life.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lol I got a dude who has a power rangers podcast super mad at me because I dared to suggest dragon ball z might have a limited narrative

post link

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

also dragons have become standardized in fantasy since tolkien; in the middle ages they're a lot more diverse. sometimes they breathe fire, but a lot of times they breathe or spit poison. sometimes they fly, sometimes they just slither around. sometimes they look like crocodiles, sometimes they shapeshift into pretty ladies

make dragons great again

Eh, I want to avoid making it seem like I am summoning the horde on the dude by linking to it.

lemme just share a taste

quote:

there are so many individual assumptions in that retort that are wrong that i no longer have the time or the patience to hold your hand so instead im gonna go back to ignoring you and tell you that you're a loving idiot

quote:

pro tip if you agree with plague's takes on dbz you're probably wrong because plague's takes are uniformly even more idiotic and anti-fun than woolie or pat's at a baseline and this is not even really arguable

quote:

I am angrily shutting you down because you keep trying to force the idea that a 15+ year old joke is funny because it's a very reductive criticism of a show you think is bad because you listened to an angry farmer yell about how much he doesn't like a popular thing, which he is known for doing simply because the thing is popular.

Like at the end of the day your appeal to saying "WELL PAT AND PLAGUE THINK THIS TOO" is irrelevant because you are trying to say that this joke, which people have been making since two thousand and loving one at the latest, is still funny, and that because the show is bad you should be allowed to make it despite the fact that multiple people have tried to tell you that the take is 1) factually inaccurate if you examine the source material and 2) hilariously reductive given that the criticism is something that universally applies to most media in some way or another.

you are getting constantly yelled at for this take and either are arguing in good faith but completely ignorant of the ability to read the room that people want you to maybe either shut the gently caress up or admit you don't know what you're talking about, or you're arguing in bad faith and refuse to back down because you're being a loving dillweed. these are literally the only ways to interpret your posting record in the thread.

please go somewhere else to deliver your lukewarm self-assured media savant takes of 'all escalation in media is bad' and 'i can keep making the same ten year old jokes to people who have heard them hundreds of times and have grown tired of them' to somewhere else because jesus christ this thread is bad enough without you making GBS threads in it between devils advocacy, concern trolling, and all around looking like a loving tool.

The joke he keeps referencing is "Wow, look at how big his number has gotten", which I still find a hilarious summary of DBZ

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Maybe if you weren't so anti-fun, you could appreciate escalation in media. Let people enjoy things.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I am the apex of hating fun

The Fun Dragon

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Let people enjoy things.

Actually it was a thread about a podcast that made a DBZ joke so he is the one not letting people enjoy things

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 14, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Maybe if you weren't so anti-fun, you could appreciate escalation in media. Let people enjoy things.

Let people not enjoy things

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Found the thread. Wondering why you didn't quote this gem:

Judge Tesla posted:

Pretty much every comic, film, TV show and game has threat escalation included,

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mrenda posted:

But if you put an acorn atop a mountain on the cover of a book no-one would know it's a fantasy novel, so no.

Gonna be honest, if I saw a book cover with an acorn on top of a mountain, I'd assume it's a dragon and I was looking at a fantasy novel.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
what if the acorn was a dragon in titty armor

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What if titty armor is actually a dragon

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
the dragon was part of us all along (the extremely busty titty + voluptuous rear end part)

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
I mean even among people who I know like DBZ and stuff know that's a flaw, that after like say Frieza Arc the numbers kept going up but what was actually happening on screen stayed pretty similar. I like the concept of DBZ more than I actually like it :(.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

These two are both still fairly true.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I mean even among people who I know like DBZ and stuff know that's a flaw, that after like say Frieza Arc the numbers kept going up but what was actually happening on screen stayed pretty similar. I like the concept of DBZ more than I actually like it :(.

In only enjoyed the first Dragon Ball series, when Goku was a kid, because those were fun fantasy/martial arts adventures and not the slooow fights and power trips in DBZ

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Yeah one of the things he got super mad at was a dude who showed that the way power is depicted in DBZ doesn't change they just keep using the same tropes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPwVuC3YOrc

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
gas this thread please

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Guess I won't be writing that effort post on modern Donaldson.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Por que no

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
in my world if something is long, sinuous and magical it's a dragon, it doesn't have to have the head of an iguana, you can have leonine dragons, tiger dragons, goat dragons, rhinoceros dragons, orca dragons

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

nankeen posted:

in my world if something is long, sinuous and magical it's a dragon, it doesn't have to have the head of an iguana, you can have leonine dragons, tiger dragons, goat dragons, rhinoceros dragons, orca dragons

penis dragons

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Sampatrick posted:

penis dragons

“Djeser quoting the Transformer AI” posted:

The Magna Carta, the foundational document of English parliamentary democracy, was signed between a sentient penis and a cohort of dragons. One thing the dragons didn't take was the irony: The dragons didn't take any poo poo for that. They didn't take poo poo for the fact that the Magna Carta was never actually a government document. They actually took poo poo from all of the people that signed it. The dragons were just waiting for the opportunity to declare that the Magna Carta was poo poo. So the dragons became pissed off about not getting to do poo poo they were interested in. The dragons were pissed off because a bunch of people got to sign the Magna Carta, and then it was like--what's this? "Huh? What's that? It's a giant penis?!" It was like they had gotten so fed up with the dragons they were starting to seriously hate the creatures that lived under the surface and could eat all of they cared. After a while, I can remember being pissed off as much as I'd been in years, but I'd never actually said

loving AI already writes better than most fantasy authors

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

gas this thread please

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

make dragons great again

Eh, I want to avoid making it seem like I am summoning the horde on the dude by linking to it.

lemme just share a taste

The joke he keeps referencing is "Wow, look at how big his number has gotten", which I still find a hilarious summary of DBZ

yeeeeeeees

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wait, has his modus operandi changed recently?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Solitair posted:

Wait, has his modus operandi changed recently?

Ish? I think his Great God's War is better than Covenant.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gas this thread please

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

gas this thread please

I don't get why this thread is suddenly contentious but if you don't like a thread, vote 1 and move on and read something else?

quote:

Low Content Posts: Please do not make posts containing no content (ie, "first post," "hello, I'm new here," etc.). These just litter up the forums and with over 100,000 registered users, we need to eliminate these as much as possible. If you do not like a thread, then just vote it a "1" and move on; replies consisting solely of trolling fall into this category. As a general rule, write as if you were speaking in real life to another human being. Do not use any catchphrases, memes, internet slang, or any other crap that makes you look like a 12-year old.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
In a dose of authors being so, so close.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1127965203335745536

Stories are for children.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I don't get why this thread is suddenly contentious but if you don't like a thread, vote 1 and move on and read something else?

this thread can do better than 'hey guys, power rangers and dragonball z? not the best at their plots, right? haha, anyway, check out what this guy said somewhere else on the forums'

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
if this thread gets gassed then where will Mel run to complain that nerds are making fun of him?

Mrenda posted:

In a dose of authors being so, so close.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1127965203335745536

Stories are for children.

Amazing, with those tweets he managed to write something even worse than "The TIE wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly across the Myrrann rooftops - it zigzags herkily-jerkily out of sight."

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Chuck Wendig is maybe the author I don't understand or see why people like him. Even Sanderson, who I don't enjoy at all, it's easy enough to see that he has ideas that appeal to teenage boys or people who are still teenage boys mentally. Sanderson just writes YA But For Boys. But Wendig?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Wendig writes inclusive YA for anybody

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

this thread can do better than 'hey guys, power rangers and dragonball z? not the best at their plots, right? haha, anyway, check out what this guy said somewhere else on the forums'

that stuff is genre
the argument was about critically analyzing genre
this is a thread for talking about the critical analysis of genre

so gently caress off

you've contributed nothing of value to either version of this thread

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Tbf, Dragonball Z isn't really SFF is it?

This might be my worst post ever

shades of blue fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 15, 2019

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that stuff is genre
the argument was about critically analyzing genre
this is a thread for talking about the critical analysis of genre

so gently caress off

you've contributed nothing of value to either version of this thread

glass houses

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Sampatrick posted:

Tbf, Dragonball Z isn't really SFF is it?

This might be my worst post ever

It borrows pretty heavily from Chinese Fantasy, and has spaceships and aliens.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It borrows pretty heavily from Chinese Fantasy, and has spaceships and aliens.

SFF is a Western genre and just because Chinese Fantasy is also fictional doesn't mean that the two genres are super similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Then -- poo poo, you know this, you've got a 2006 regdate -- be the change you want to see on the forums et cetera. If you think the thread should have better content in it then post that better content.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

so gently caress off

Also, don't do this

I'm going to have to pull this car RIGHT over aren't I >_<