Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jr. posted:

Normally I’d never ask a trans person such a thing but how does one transition to a dog-human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Jr. posted:

Normally I’d never ask a trans person such a thing but how does one transition to a dog-human

Its hilarious to see that there are actually people who bought into the lovely conservative "slippery slope" arguments about gay marraige, trans rights, etc, but in a hopeful way, because they saw themselves as farther down the slope.

Sorry dog-fuckers/pedos/diaper weirdos, theres no slope! Society still gets to draw lines of acceptability! STOP loving ANIMALS AND GO TO A PSYCHIATRIST YOU ABSOLUTE MANIAC!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Jr. posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H3PRSg8ReM

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

When "SJW" came into coinage, before it was used to describe any idea to the left of Hitler by anime video game dorks, it was about people who would try to get equal rights for their headmates or protected-class status for trans-species fursonas.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

zoux posted:

When "SJW" came into coinage, before it was used to describe any idea to the left of Hitler by anime video game dorks, it was about people who would try to get equal rights for their headmates or protected-class status for trans-species fursonas.

Well, if that's ridiculous, then differences in gender, sex or race must be equally so! Ipso facto, quod erat demonstratum, open the camps.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Definitely doesn't belong in this thread, but since it came up

https://twitter.com/dandouglas/status/726896245210513410

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hihohe posted:

Why is SA still around... Just to suffer?

Who would hire Lowtax for a job?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Who would hire Lowtax for a job?

Shmorky

Circle of Life and all

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fuckin’ David.

Fucker got what was coming to him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Crow Your Coins! posted:

Spoilers for GoT

to which the proper response was posted

https://twitter.com/seanrmoorhead/status/1128083435422089217?s=21

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Kanine posted:

growing up in new england its bizarre to me how new englanders pretend like we're any less lovely to the south in regards to race

boston is one of the most segregated cities in the country for fucks sake

I refuse to be painted with the same brush as Beantown.

(CT's got it's own poo poo, Darien was a literal sunset town.)

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Speaking of Boston, I always thought the lead singer was yelling "AND WE LIVE IN BEANTOWN" towards the end of that "Bittersweet Symphony" song.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Jr. posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Vandar posted:

Fuckin’ David.

Fucker got what was coming to him.

Is he the one who gets stuck as a bird or something? I know nothing about Animorphs aside from the covers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One Angry Gamer account identity finally revealed
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1128620594164006912

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

I'm somehow really glad I started a PYF Animorph derail

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is he the one who gets stuck as a bird or something? I know nothing about Animorphs aside from the covers.

The Animorphs deliberately trapped him in rat morph then stuck him on an uninhabited island. Near the end of the series he came back and begged for death and Rachel (probably) killed him.

Animorphs was hardcore.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I re read some Animorphs recently and that poo poo gets dark for a kids book. Let alone the straight up body horror of the morphing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Piell posted:

The Animorphs deliberately trapped him in rat morph then stuck him on an uninhabited island. Near the end of the series he came back and begged for death and Rachel (probably) killed him.

Animorphs was hardcore.

Seeereowpedia(?!) posted:

David owned two pets: a fat gray tabby cat named Megadeth and a king cobra named Spawn (prompting Marco to note that he had bad taste in music but good taste in comics).
Lol, christ I didn't need this rabbit hole today

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

LawfulWaffle posted:

That's Seerowpedia, and Seerow was an alien centaur-scorpion shapeshifter prince who gave advanced technology to parasitic mind control slugs, betraying his own people.

you philistine.

But straight up Animorphs was probably the most hosed up poo poo I read as a kid. I still remember when the author started getting into alien psyches, and the descriptions of how pathetic and horrible it was to exist as a Yeerk without a host. Like it made you feel sorry for them, even given how evil they are.

Or like the giant centipede ones that live their entire lives in a state akin to extreme fear and dread of starving, as an evolutionary adaptation.

Beelzebufo has a new favorite as of 16:00 on May 15, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Going down a rabbit hole is exactly what that Beastbro Magick guy wants to do.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
By the way, the writer of Animorphs is an all around excellent person, as opposed to some other writers.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LawfulWaffle posted:

There's a scene in one book where an ant somehow morphed into a human body and it was overwhelmed with the immeasurably more complex brain/consciousness so it just stood in place and screamed for hours.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Long story short:

David was a nobody who found the cube that gave the Animorphs the power to morph.
The bad guys found David.
The Animorphs felt that they had no choice but to fake David’s death and force him to become the seventh member of the team.
David tried to betray the team.
David tried to kill the team.
David tried to blackmail the team.

In the end, they ended up trapping him in rat form (there’s a two hour time limit on their transformations) and leaving him on a rat infested island. Anyone that passed by the island could hear his psychic screams so the island got a reputation for being haunted.

Y’know. For kids!

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

One Angry Gamer account identity finally revealed
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1128620594164006912

If you thought what happened to King's Landing was bad, it'll be nothing compared to what Gorka will do to Elwood City.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Mikl posted:

By the way, the writer of Animorphs is an all around excellent person, as opposed to some other writers.

Yep, her letter to fans who didn't like the ending was a great message about how war fucks people up. (Spoiles for the ending)

quote:

Dear Animorphs Readers:
Quite a number of people seem to be annoyed by the final chapter in the Animorphs story. There are a lot of complaints that I let Rachel die. That I let Visser Three/One live. That Cassie and Jake broke up. That Tobias seems to have been reduced to unexpressed grief. That there was no grand, final fight-to-end-all-fights. That there was no happy celebration. And everyone is mad about the cliffhanger ending.
So I thought I'd respond.

Animorphs was always a war story. Wars don't end happily. Not ever. Often relationships that were central during war, dissolve during peace. Some people who were brave and fearless in war are unable to handle peace, feel disconnected and confused. Other times people in war make the move to peace very easily. Always people die in wars. And always people are left shattered by the loss of loved ones.

That's what happens, so that's what I wrote. Jake and Cassie were in love during the war, and end up going their seperate ways afterward. Jake, who was so brave and capable during the war is adrift during the peace. Marco and Ax, on the other hand, move easily past the war and even manage to use their experience to good effect. Rachel dies, and Tobias will never get over it. That doesn't by any means cover everything that happens in a war, but it's a start.

Here's what doesn't happen in war: there are no wondrous, climactic battles that leave the good guys standing tall and the bad guys lying in the dirt. Life isn't a World Wrestling Federation Smackdown. Even the people who win a war, who survive and come out the other side with the conviction that they have done something brave and necessary, don't do a lot of celebrating. There's very little chanting of 'we're number one' among people who've personally experienced war.

I'm just a writer, and my main goal was always to entertain. But I've never let Animorphs turn into just another painless video game version of war, and I wasn't going to do it at the end. I've spent 60 books telling a strange, fanciful war story, sometimes very seriously, sometimes more tongue-in-cheek. I've written a lot of action and a lot of humor and a lot of sheer nonsense. But I have also, again and again, challenged readers to think about what they were reading. To think about the right and wrong, not just the who-beat-who. And to tell you the truth I'm a little shocked that so many readers seemed to believe I'd wrap it all up with a lot of high-fiving and backslapping. Wars very often end, sad to say, just as ours did: with a nearly seamless transition to another war.

So, you don't like the way our little fictional war came out? You don't like Rachel dead and Tobias shattered and Jake guilt-ridden? You don't like that one war simply led to another? Fine. Pretty soon you'll all be of voting age, and of draft age. So when someone proposes a war, remember that even the most necessary wars, even the rare wars where the lines of good and evil are clear and clean, end with a lot of people dead, a lot of people crippled, and a lot of orphans, widows and grieving parents.

If you're mad at me because that's what you have to take away from Animorphs, too bad. I couldn't have written it any other way and remained true to the respect I have always felt for Animorphs readers.

K.A. Applegate

Piell has a new favorite as of 16:14 on May 15, 2019

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Crow Your Coins! posted:

Or like the giant centipede ones that live their entire lives in a state akin to extreme fear and dread of starving, as an evolutionary adaptation.

Don't forget that they go into a feeding frenzy whenever they see blood. I still remember the description of them eating one of their own wounded alive.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apologies about the Animorphs derail, all.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

More of a personal sad one, rather than the light plain old dummy ones but hey.

So my wife passed away at the end of April, obviously everyone here is very shocked and saddened and in a state of disbelief. A girl goes up to one of my wife's close friends saying that she met my wife once at a party (literally once, and our friend was also at this party and doesn't remember this girl at all) and they were Facebook friends but she deleted my wife a year or so back in a spring cleanout kind of thing. So far, so good, that's normal.

However, she had a change of heart and asked our friend to speak to me to have me, less than 24 hours of losing my wife, to break into her Facebook account and accept her new outstanding friend request.

I mean, I'm still in shock that someones mind works that way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

My partner says that the books taught her what a war crime is.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vandar posted:

Long story short:

David was a nobody who found the cube that gave the Animorphs the power to morph.
The bad guys found David.
The Animorphs felt that they had no choice but to fake David’s death and force him to become the seventh member of the team.
David tried to betray the team.
David tried to kill the team.
David tried to blackmail the team.

In the end, they ended up trapping him in rat form (there’s a two hour time limit on their transformations) and leaving him on a rat infested island. Anyone that passed by the island could hear his psychic screams so the island got a reputation for being haunted.

Y’know. For kids!

quote:

"Without Crayak, without help, I can't beat you, Rachel. And I'm tired of trying. But I won't go back. I'd rather die than go back to that island. You'll have to kill me."

"I won't do that."

"Kill me. I'd rather die than go on like this. Rather die than go back to that place!"

"You're going back to the island."

"I won't go back. Kill me, Rachel! If there's any humanity left in you at all, please kill me."

"I'm one of the good guys."

"Then do the good thing!"

Goddamn, Applegate.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

EL BROMANCE posted:

What the gently caress

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Goddamn, Applegate.

Last time I’ll post in the Animorphs derail but that quote reminds me:

Friendly reminder that the entire Animorphs story is a very small part of a much larger millennia spanning conflict between two godlike beings known as the Elimist and the Crayak, and that the entire war for Earth was basically those two characters moving pawns in their huge intergalactic game against each other.

Also the Elimist uses that name because it was his screen name in the video game he used to play before becoming a space god. :allears:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

EL BROMANCE posted:

More of a personal sad one, rather than the light plain old dummy ones but hey.

So my wife passed away at the end of April, obviously everyone here is very shocked and saddened and in a state of disbelief. A girl goes up to one of my wife's close friends saying that she met my wife once at a party (literally once, and our friend was also at this party and doesn't remember this girl at all) and they were Facebook friends but she deleted my wife a year or so back in a spring cleanout kind of thing. So far, so good, that's normal.

However, she had a change of heart and asked our friend to speak to me to have me, less than 24 hours of losing my wife, to break into her Facebook account and accept her new outstanding friend request.

I'm so sorry for your loss my friend.

Also, :allbuttons:

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
drat, I loved Animorphs as a kid. Before handing most of the duties off to ghost writers, Applegate wrote those with her husband Michael Grant. He has a more recent series called Gone that is also very good and also heavily features traumatized children. Do not read the follow up trilogy, though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vandar posted:

Also the Elimist uses that name because it was his screen name in the video game he used to play before becoming a space god. :allears:

And he ended up being the last of his kind because they were experimenting with sending radio transmissions into space and what was basically a livestream of the game got picked up by aliens and mistaken for proof that his race was meddling with the evolutionary development of species (as opposed to being a video game about it), so they wiped them all out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006