Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I enjoyed the documentary quite a bit

The musical numbers were really cute

I also liked the DS9 Season 8 Pitch right up until all the Section 31 talk, but as as been mentioned, that was before DISCO ran that poo poo into the ground. Even so, it could be a fine hook to start things off if it wasn't a major part of the season. It was DS9's baby after all. I really don't know that there is a much better way to get all the cast back together for something plausible 20 years later

Overall, good. Mainly I wanted to buy a ticket in the longshot hope of signaling CBS that there was demand for DS9 remasters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Comrade Fakename posted:

Man, imagine what their plans would have been if Discovery had been the hit they were expecting? 6,000 series, covering one series for every single ship in Starfleet. Life-size Spock androids available in every store. The national anthem is changed to the Allamaraine song.

Of course season 2 of Disco was retooled a bit. Practically every TV show is changed somewhat in the second season to reflect viewer feedback. It’s why Bashir is suddenly a lot less lecherous in season 2 of DS9. But they are now making literally more new Trek shows than I can list, as I cannot keep track of them all. You’ll notice, that originally, they were just making Disco, not starting with dozens. This is because no, they did not *know* that significant numbers of people would watch Star Trek. They may have suspected, but Discovery proved it.

It's poo poo, hth.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have to say, my showing of the DS9 doc in your run of the mill suburban Cinemark (with 3 other locations showing it within 30 minutes drive) was nearly sold out. Not bad for a 20 year old show that CBS claims there's no market for.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mine had 4 people

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Mine had 4 people

My theater had like ten or twelve people. But then that's pretty typical for the Fathom event things I've been to here.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Peachfart posted:

It's poo poo, hth.

okay

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Mine had 4 people

What fun, everyone had a corner to themselves then!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I'm glad it was a one-off event so the business dinner I had planned months in advance prevented me from seeing it until the middle of August.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's new in the world of 20 year old B movie franchises AKA this show.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

Star Trek 4 is dead, Discovery Season 3 is shooting right now, Anson Mount says he's open to a Pike series, Picard show is shooting now for a premiere in the latter half of the year, no one knows when Lower Decks or the Nickelodeon animated series are happening, there's a Georgiou / Section 31 show in development.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This might be just me having false hope, but I have a weird feeling the S31 show is going to end up being shelved at some point. It feels like the weak link behind even Lower Decks.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Also we have not one, but TWO post-Voyager Prime Universe shows at long last (The Picard Show and DISCO S3).

Orv
May 4, 2011

Astroman posted:

Also we have not one, but TWO post-Voyager Prime Universe shows ...DISCO S3.

Esplain, Lucy.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Orv posted:

Esplain, Lucy.

At the end of season 2, the crew and ship were flung 900+ years into the future (3180ish IIRC) and the creators have confirmed that’s where they’ll stay for the time being.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Huh, I knew I'd forgotten to keep watching something. Thanks.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

that's rude, Deep Space 9 is a soap opera, thank you very much

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

HD DAD posted:

This might be just me having false hope, but I have a weird feeling the S31 show is going to end up being shelved at some point. It feels like the weak link behind even Lower Decks.

I get the feeling that CBS wanted for Section 31 Trek, was what they got instead with the Pike show.

I really don't like the terran emperor and they're trying to make a fascist murdering gendocidal maniac into a likable person and give them their own quirky spinoff. Meanwhile Anson gets a single season to be the captain dude for 14 episodes and for some reason literally everyone falls in love with space dad

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I get the feeling that CBS wanted for Section 31 Trek, was what they got instead with the Pike show.

I really don't like the terran emperor and they're trying to make a fascist murdering gendocidal maniac into a likable person and give them their own quirky spinoff. Meanwhile Anson gets a single season to be the captain dude for 14 episodes and for some reason literally everyone falls in love with space dad

It'd be great if they canceled Section 31 for a Pike series. They even have a set they could use for the Pike series.

Orv
May 4, 2011

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

"Some reason."

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I still think Schisms is one of the best episodes of TNG, no matter how often I see them

does the EU stuff ever pick up on those aliens?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I this this got mentioned in the Disco thread, but turns out that people are kind of sick of grim, compromised-morality spiky-black-leather antiheroes and would prefer upbeat, Star-Trek-ideals-having regular heroes.

Plus, you know. Michelle Yeoh's no slouch, but Anson Mount's a dreamboat.

edit: coming in 2020, Star Trek: Dreamboat.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Can't we have both? We could have a buddy-cop series with Mount and Yeoh! He's the by-the-book professional, just one week away from retirement a crippling accident; she's the renegade who plays by her own rules! Together, they debate idealism-vs-pragmatism as a moral philosophy!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Angry Salami posted:

Can't we have both? We could have a buddy-cop series with Mount and Yeoh! He's the by-the-book professional, just one week away from retirement a crippling accident; she's the renegade who plays by her own rules! Together, they debate idealism-vs-pragmatism as a moral philosophy!

That's not the worst pitch for a Trek series I've ever heard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Set abord the USS Norman Mailer.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Angry Salami posted:

If a pure Pike series doesn’t happen, I fully expect him and the Enterprise crew to be showing up a lot in the Section 31 show.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

So Hawk and Dove. Or I guess Green Arrow and Green Lantern.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Did season 2 of Discovery get anywhere near approaching good? The last one I watched was the episode where they just suddenly decided the crew were all best friends and a ~family~ despite never showing this in previous episodes because Saru was dying. Then at the end they literally have an integral part of his personality fall off instead of exploring a way for him to grow as a character or build the friendships they were touting to help him with his fear.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
There’s a couple of ok episodes towards the middle of the season and then it gets worse again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodosaur posted:

I still think Schisms is one of the best episodes of TNG, no matter how often I see them

Yes there’s a book in the Star Trek: Titan line where Riker, Troi, and his crew on the USS Titan run into them

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Angry Salami posted:

8one6 posted:

That's not the worst pitch for a Trek series I've ever heard.

If Into Darkness were a better movie we could have gotten this with Kirk and Khan. It had a little glimmer of it and that was my favorite idea in it, when they're uneasily working with Khan because their goals are temporarily aligned.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Nodosaur posted:

Yes, there's also a Star Trek Online mission through a Stargate ancient gateway, led by Ambassador Worf, that happens to lead into a room on board a ship controlled by those aliens

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 15, 2019

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I wish they'd switch Yeoh back into Georgiou. Finagle some kind of a time-travel device where the emperor switches places with Georgiou in the past right before she died or something.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

galenanorth posted:

Yes, there's also a Star Trek Online mission through a Stargate ancient gateway, led by Ambassador Worf, that happens to lead into a room on board a ship controlled by those aliens

Iconian Gateway Episode: 1989
Stargate film: 1994

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, :lol: this old Voyager premiere trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXpO25EIErw

Chagatay. Tuwok. Tawrez, of the Marquis. Kez.

in...

Star Trek. Voyaga.

I've been calling my cat Chagatay all day.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The Star Fleet
"Doc Zimmerman"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Excited to join The Star Fleet.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes there’s a book in the Star Trek: Titan line where Riker, Troi, and his crew on the USS Titan run into them

galenanorth posted:

Ah... what happens in those instances out of couriousity?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nodosaur posted:

Ah... what happens in those instances out of couriousity?
In the book the Titan is called to find out what happened to another Starfleet ship, and as they approach the planet where the ship was, the crew starts having nightmares like from Schisms. Basically the Schisms aliens boobytrap the missing Starfleet ship to try and lure in the Titan but they fail. Titan finds an asteroid base home to some Schisms aliens who are not on board with their species’ abduction stuff. They tell Riker that their species lives in another dimension which is becoming unstable and inhospitable for them, so the ‘experiments’ they were conducting on Starfleet crew were them trying to create a beachhead into our universe for an invasion. Titan ends up stopping them from getting through and doing their invasion.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The ancient gateway is being opened at a diplomatic summit between the Federation, Klingon Empire, and Romulan Republic factions on New Romulus. It happens an underground cave with glass floors and bronze metal over lava flows. In addition to the ambassadors, all three factions have sent the captains of their flagship vessels. Worf, now the ambassador for the Klingon Empire to the Federation, was invited for his experience encountering two Iconian gateways before. He's raising strong concerns about the safety of the gateway. First of all, New Romulus was previously inhabited by a primitive race which drove themselves extinct by activating the gateway before they were technologically ready, causing it to activate all the volcanoes on the planet and plunging it into a long, dark winter. Second of all, they don't know where it opens and whether a hostile entity is on the other side. To assuage his concerns, the Romulan Republic asks you to go visit the engineers and check their work, but Worf is still not satisfied. He and Captain Shon of the Enterprise, an Andorian, asks you to place explosive charges on the gateway in case something goes wrong. They activate the gateway, there's a lot of rumbling, and cave-in starts, but the explosive charges are having no effect. Many of the delegates escape through the tunnels. The rest, including you, Worf, and Captain Shon have no choice but to evacuate through the gateway.

You end up in a large, dark purple cylindrical chamber with three black metal doors. Worf asks you to tend to the wounded. Exploring the ship, you find that some of the rooms on the ship are analogous to the standard rooms in a starship - medical bay, engine room, albeit highly advanced with holographic control consoles. They decide to split up to cover more ground. You and Worf find the same examination room as in the Schisms episode and decide to check in with another team led by the Klingon captain, the daughter of Grilka, and during the conversation there sounds like a struggle, and then the com goes to static. Worf calls Captain Shon and they agree they need to rendezvous. You and Worf fight off some of the ship's automated defense drones and find phasers and communicators left by the Klingon team. Worf contacts Captain Shon again, but now his com is going to static, too. You find everyone secured in spherical-shaped holding pens and release them. Two people are still missing, so you go rescue them from the soloagen-based lifeforms. You are able to revive Captain Shon, who had some limbs amputated and re-attached, but a redshirt New Romulan died from getting his blood replaced with another chemical.

Having done that, you go through another room with large curving bridges, which has a live feed of images of Earth, Qo'noS, New Romulus, the planet where DS9 found the Iconian gateway, and Iconia. The solanogen-based lifeforms work for the Iconians, who plan to make the Alpha Quadrant species fight against each other and work for the Iconians as slave labor to terraform their long-uninhabitable homeworld. The away team makes it to the bridge and takes control of the ship, with Worf at tactical. They fight their way through another gateway which leads back to orbit around New Romulus, then the Iconians send through a bunch of ships through the gateway, and the three factions assist the hijacked ship in fighting them off.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You forgot the most important part: the gateway interface project wasn't even designed by the Romulans. They rolled up to a Tholian archaeological site, killed all the scientists and then, once they got their hands on the Tholian tech, almost blew up the planet with it.