Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I am for randomized maps, and more play options in general!

Pistols at dawn it is then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
I tend to categorize Subnautica closer to Skyrim rather than Terraria/Minecraft since it's a handcrafted story.

But it is fair for people who just like survival-building simulators to want a randomize mode in Subnautica. The devs could produce a few more spots for wrecks/lifepods to spawn (barring the cinematic-location wrecks,) especially since there is a lot of dead space in the zones.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Oasx posted:

I have played through Subnautica several times, as soon as I am done with a playthrough I also forget where stuff is.

your memory sucks

i hear fish oil helps with that

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Away all Goats posted:

I just smoke vast amounts of weed so I forget where everything is

performance enhancing drugs in ttyool 2019

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Away all Goats posted:

I just smoke vast amounts of weed so I forget where everything is

This is my favorite username/av/post-combo. And a great strategy.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I have an elephants memory for videogames and can't replay them and be surprised by anything, even if I barely paid attention. I smoke tons of weed. Please give me your bad memory.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Doesn't look like this has been posted yet, one of the devs did a presentation at GDC about the game's development process and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkjY_R7zQsM

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Epic store is having a sale, the game is 10$ off. https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/subnautica-below-zero/home

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
But don't support Epic and instead wait for a steam sale.

Or pay full price because the game is good and worth it.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, I'll wait for the steam sale.

Or buy if they announce a price rise after it leaves early access.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The deal with this Epic sale is that *Epic is paying for the discount*. A sale here means a shitload more money to the devs than one in a steam sale.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Epic vs Steam arguments are mostly dumb, if getting a 50% discount makes more people buy the game that is good, it only benefits the developers.

WarpedNaba posted:

Or buy if they announce a price rise after it leaves early access.

The price will rise by 25% when it gets out of early access.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I got Subnautica for free from Epic, so I don't mind spending $10 on their store for Below Zero.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Oasx posted:

The Epic vs Steam arguments are mostly dumb

They are the loving worst because for like a decade poo poo was constantly released as Steam exclusives. Not only that but if you didn't release on Steam, like just DRM Free or something then there would be smug threads of "no Steam, no buy".

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I don't even get what galaxy brain it takes to come up with "monopolies are good"

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Zesty posted:

But don't support Epic and instead wait for a steam sale.

Or pay full price because the game is good and worth it.

I haven't done the math, but I'm reasonably confident that the devs get about as much money with the discount on the Epic store as they would get with a full price Steam purchase.

:shrug:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ikanreed posted:

I don't even get what galaxy brain it takes to come up with "monopolies are good"
It's a balance, monopolies aren't good but neither is having 37 different store/launcher apps to deal with. It's the same problem we're seeing these days with streaming video, for a while Netflix was basically a monopoly but you could get almost anything available to stream there. Now we have to have 10 different subscriptions just to watch the same things because everyone decided they wanted to do their own thing.

I wish Windows had a standard package management infrastructure so we could buy/download apps from whoever wants to sell them but have them all install and launch from the same interface. Instead we end up with every major publisher reinventing the wheel, usually worse.

If these new services would actually compete on features and functionality it'd be a different matter, but inevitably the only reason to use them over the established one ends up being that they're holding some content hostage. Make something that's better than Steam and I'm interested, make something that's worse but is the only way to get your game and I'm going to be pissed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

wolrah posted:

It's a balance, monopolies aren't good but neither is having 37 different store/launcher apps to deal with. It's the same problem we're seeing these days with streaming video, for a while Netflix was basically a monopoly but you could get almost anything available to stream there. Now we have to have 10 different subscriptions just to watch the same things because everyone decided they wanted to do their own thing.

I wish Windows had a standard package management infrastructure so we could buy/download apps from whoever wants to sell them but have them all install and launch from the same interface. Instead we end up with every major publisher reinventing the wheel, usually worse.

If these new services would actually compete on features and functionality it'd be a different matter, but inevitably the only reason to use them over the established one ends up being that they're holding some content hostage. Make something that's better than Steam and I'm interested, make something that's worse but is the only way to get your game and I'm going to be pissed.

Galaxy brain, but what if you just installed a shortcut that launched the right launcher when you install the game

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's not a big deal to install the 37th launcher when you already have 36. Also yeah, I have shortcuts for the games I want.

Also, sigh, don't define "better than Steam" purely in terms of "features for me".

EDIT: VVV yeah gently caress that, I have zero respect for you steam nuts for this exact reason.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 19, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ikanreed posted:

Galaxy brain, but what if you just installed a shortcut that launched the right launcher when you install the game

Because I also don't like waiting for my games to update before I can play them. I'd much rather have one launcher running on boot that auto-updates my games in the background.

Again I think the ideal solution would be a Linux-style system wide package manager, but the time where that would have been plausible to push out in Windows is long past now that everything has to be an app store.

edit: I'm an end user, not a game developer, so yeah "better for me" is my primary concern. I'm happy for developers that the Epic store's existence has forced Steam to adjust their fee structure, but I still find it annoying at best to have to use one more platform without getting any benefit from it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 18, 2019

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

love to launch a game from steam, have it launch ubisofts launcher which needs and update to update the game i’m trying to play and then close all of it down and play something else

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Just finished my third playthrough, this time a swimming-only run (no seaglide, fins only).

Had to build a whole chain of Seabase camps as I descended through the Lost River and the Lava Zones, like a reverse version of the camps on Everest, to restrock on oxygen (and eat/drink, since it was a Survival playthrough). In the end, I had my one starting base in the safe shallows (right under my lifepod, which was near the southern thermal geyser). Then I built a bunch of relatively simple other bases, just two multipurpose-floors, a scanner room, a power source, a growbed, a water filtration unit, a bed bed, and an observation sphere a triangle; three at 250 meters, a triangle at E-S-N built within the jellyshroom caves, the sparse reef and the dunes, the latter of two basically serving as Base Camp for my descents. Said descents then lead to a seabase in the blood kelp trench west of those last two at about 500 meters (roughly underneath the wreck, right above the entrance to the lost river there) (turning it into kind of a diamond shape), one next to the sea dragon skeleton at 875 meters or so, and the last in the inactive lava zone between the huge pit and the lava castle at 1200 meters.

For no particularly necessary reason, but because I'd never built one there before, I also built a base on the largest of the floating islands, figuring it'd be a convenient pit stop so close to the gates by the Enforcement Cannon. Which is where I built my rocket at the end, so it did turn out to be pretty convenient in said end.

I didn't really realize I was doing it, but I never got a ton of the distress calls on the radio due to not building any of the vehicles or cruising around to various spots, so the only pod I got a call on and investigated was pod 3, the very first, and Ozzie's, (usually the second, though that one came late, and only because I was right on top of it at the time), and with it taking so long to get anywhere at the minimum swim speed (needing multiple tanks to dive to any significant depth), I didn't go to all the points of interest I normally did, not really realizing it until I had built my second-to-last seabase. I never even visited the Aurora until the very end, well after I'd done what I needed to do in the depths. So I decided to RP it as a Riley that just did not give a gently caress about any of this poo poo and just wanted to get off the planet ASAP because gently caress this ocean and the Aurora and the Degasi and everything else. Because he didn't have his Stay Calm poster (or a cuddlefish) to center him and help him appreciate anything about his situation. In the end, I even left the Aurora's reactor core purposefully un-repaired, and figured he hoped all that worst case scenario his PDA was warning him about would happen after he'd left the planet behind him. Screw those reapers, and everything else on that planet, too.

To properly convey the spirit of that RP, I filled his time capsule with salt, too.

All kidding aside, it's definitely a different experience playing with fins only and no vehicles to either move fast, mine large deposits, have a mobile base with supplies/expanded storage containers, and most importantly, a mobile source of oxygen. Definitely needed way more planning of every move I made, and almost drowned a few times when stuff happened while moving between seabases in the depths. Also, the minimum swim speed when you have multiple ultra tanks (which I maintain to be more efficient for a swimming-only run than multiple light high capacity tanks, in terms of oxygen to movement to storage space in your inventory), particularly when you add a reinforced dive suit to it, ultra fins or no...to be really very slow. The fact that I had to (well, I suppose I didn't REALLY have to, I still built more stuff than I probably needed to, and could have planned out/shaved time for what I needed for the end game more thoroughly, but I didn't have a whole agenda filled with what I needed to do beside me) shuttle stuff between the bases as I built them, particularly in the depths past those base camp seabases where titanium becomes VERY scarce if you don't have a prawn suit to mine large deposits also probably took up at least half of my entire playthrough, which still managed to be a day shorter than my second, which was a day shorter than my first. Probably could've finished up in a 3/4 of a day rather than a day and a half if I'd been less focused on making each of my mini-bases less fully functional.

All in all, I'd say it was still quite fun, and I'd recommend anyone thinking of a swimming-only playthrough (even if you don't go full hard-mode and use a seaglide) to give it a try. It really does change the whole feel of the game in certain places. Just wish I hadn't had to build a cyclops at the end just for one thing I needed for something else at the end, because now I have a cyclops symbol on my save game, even if I immediately drove it past crush depth and jammed to the on-fire/evacuation musics before taking what I needed and swimming back up to finish my other thing. I'd never lost a cyclops before, so that was something, at least.

Also, arguing about people wanting/not wanting to buy a game from one online service or another is dumb, because stanning for exploitative capitalistic entities is dumb and people making capricious choices to engage or not with whatever exploitative capitalistic entities for whatever reason they want is all any of us can manage in this day and age and getting 'hurr hurr and yet you engage with capitalism, interesting' "observations", short of deliberately not ever buying a product, which is also a valid choice, but shouldn't be required of someone short of something being actually directly harmful (made by slave labor, whatever, so not vidya gaems, generally). I've still never played ME3, at all, or installed Origin. Which, I know, is like bragging about not shooting myself in the foot as it turned out, but I had plenty of people be bizarrely judgmental about that choice back in the day, and it's as weird and dumb to do so now about people not wanting to buy from the Epic store/install its software as it was then about EA/Origins. Particularly since it's not even 'not buying the game at all', but 'buying it from somewhere else', given that there's a choice. It's dumb in the Outer Worlds thread and it's dumb here, so can we just not do this, please.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Can we please stop this console launcher warrior bullshit between Steam and EGS in every goddamn game thread? It doesn't matter where you buy it from and no one gives a gently caress about which one you think is better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Speak for yourself, I am personally deeply invested in what platform a Something Awful poster thinks I should use to buy a game I already own.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Jagged Jim posted:

Can we please stop this console launcher warrior bullshit between Steam and EGS in every goddamn game thread? It doesn't matter where you buy it from and no one gives a gently caress about which one you think is better.

This, it's not tied to hardware so it's basically a non-issue.

Now if it's a console/hardware exclusive, then that poo poo is wack. Occulus/Vive exclusives are as stupid and bringing console wars to the PC is idiotic.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Synastren posted:

I haven't done the math, but I'm reasonably confident that the devs get about as much money with the discount on the Epic store as they would get with a full price Steam purchase.

:shrug:

You're completely missing the "Don't Support Epic" point and gently caress anyone who says "Be more apathetic so I don't have to read things I don't like." Put me on ignore if I don't capitalism in the way you like.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 19, 2019

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

why not support epic?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Meskhenet posted:

why not support epic?

jim sterling's been pretty on-point in regards to the epic store, tbh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xozr9X3v8es&hd=1

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Thats pretty interesting.

Sort of makes getting the new Subnautica from there a difficult choice

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Steam isn't even a monopoly. Steam doesn't ask people to for exclusivity, for one. Steam also allows devs to generate keys to sell on humble/GMG/whatever, and when you do that, steam doesn't take their cut.

Also, if you hate steam you can always buy your games directly from the dev, or gog, or humble store, or whatever other online store. If you hate epic and want to play metro, well, :filez: i guess.

e: if you're an indie dev you should probably take the epic cash tho.

vvv: Epic is doing deals with indie games where they guarantee the first year of profits in exchange for store exclusivity. If you sell less than they projected, you still get all that sweet tencent cash. Guaranteed profit most often better than potential profit.

And after the exclusivity period you can also sell elsewhere. For an indie that might or might not sell it seems like a no-brainer.

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 20, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Being exclusive to Epic and getting a bigger cut per unit sold isn't much good if people aren't willing to buy from there.

Sorry to poo poo up the Subnautica thread.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Truga posted:

And after the exclusivity period you can also sell elsewhere. For an indie that might or might not sell it seems like a no-brainer.

Yeah, Epic's business plan is awful in so many ways but indie devs should absolutely get paid when they have the opportunity.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are any power stations besides the Solar Panel in yet?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:siren: Don't own Subnautica yet? Know someone who it would make a good gift for? :siren:

quote:

In celebration of World Environment Day on June 5th, Subnautica will go on sale alongside several other games as part of a Valve special event until June 8th. During this time, we volunteered to donate 15% of Unknown Worlds’ profits from the sales of the original Subnautica to the Ocean Cleanup, a Dutch foundation that aims to develop and apply technologies (directly as well as indirectly) to remove – on a large scale – plastic pollution from the oceans.

Not unlike the virus that threatened Planet 4546B, our planet is threatened by a mass accumulation of garbage in the ocean. Marine debris, out of which 80% is plastic, has been reported to have an impact on 600 marine wildlife species. This marine debris accumulates in patches across the planet by way of ocean currents, waves, and wind. It poses a significant threat to the ecosystem, the health of both marine life and humans, and global economies.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency:

“Of all trash, plastic trash has the greatest potential to harm the environment, wildlife and humans. It can be found floating at the surface, suspended in the water column, or on the bottom of almost all water bodies. It is transported by rivers to the ocean, where it moves with the currents, and is often eaten by birds and fish, concentrating toxic chemicals in their tissues, and filling their stomachs, causing them to starve. Plastic aquatic debris is much more than a mere aesthetic problem.[/i]

Cleaning up these garbage patches is a tough job, but not an impossible one. Through intense research, advanced technology, and the clever use of natural ocean systems, the Ocean Cleanup has set their sights on removing 50% of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in just 5 years. To learn more about how they plan to do this, you can read in-depth explanations and reports on the Ocean Cleanup website.

:krakken:

Do some good in the world with your filthy video game addiction, Goons.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
new update for BZ out

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

enraged_camel posted:

new update for BZ out

Robopengy! :swoon:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm looking forward to playing this game as it's gonna be a great test of my anxiety. Budget constraints means I've got to wait a while but for years I've always been profoundly scared of deep seas and sea creatures in videogames to the point I wouldn't play anything that required you to go underwater.

I've recently started medication for my anxiety (for other reasons, videogame sharks aren't exactly a priority in my life) and I've found it's helped me massively with dealing with my fears. I'm really excited at the prospect of putting it to the test because I've always liked the look of the game but like gently caress would I be able to play it!

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007
It's only $10 on the Epic game store with that sale they're having. I'm not sure below zero will get much cheaper than that for a long time.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
As loathe as I am to give Epic any money, £4 is pretty absurd. I guess I'll go for it there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Songbearer posted:

As loathe as I am to give Epic any money, £4 is pretty absurd. I guess I'll go for it there.

Guess your values aren't worth all that much.