Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The GRRM content is a lot worse after Joffrey dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Panzeh posted:

Joffrey dies like 2/3rds into ASOS, there's still some good poo poo in that final third.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yeah even ADWD was better than the show is now.

Also I'm an episode behind but was there anything precipitating Bronn coming in and being a dick to Tyrion and Jaime? Like... Was it just D&D throwing in twists for twists' sake? Granted it's been like 10 years since the last season but I remembered him and Tyrion being at least respectable toward each other if not friendly.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

COOL CORN posted:

Also I'm an episode behind but was there anything precipitating Bronn coming in and being a dick to Tyrion and Jaime? Like... Was it just D&D throwing in twists for twists' sake? Granted it's been like 10 years since the last season but I remembered him and Tyrion being at least respectable toward each other if not friendly.

You missed the scene earlier on in the season?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Plan Z posted:

I really wish Tormund had maybe turned to Gendry and had been like "Hey thanks for helping me to stay alive as we both fought for our lives on a pile of corpses."

Come to think of it, after a certain point in Season 7, a vast majority of character interactions were short conversations between two people making terrible jokes. I can think of at least 6 or 7 of these where the dialogues talked about cocks or dicks (sometimes both). The rest were usually Dany and Arya trying to speak in threatening monotone to people who could easily have thrown them out a window. I'm trying hard to think of conversations that involved more than two people, but I'm coming up with only a few.

Nearly every interaction is between an A tier character (Starks/Dany/Lannister) and one or more B tier. The only real exceptions are Jon/Dany and jaime/Tyrion. It's completely amazing none of the Starks have discussed with each other any detail of what happened to bran , Sansa, Arya or Jon. I don't even think Arya knows Jon died, or that Jon knows Arya is a faceless man. This makes me madder than everything else in the show, really

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

mastershakeman posted:

I don't even think Arya knows Jon died, or that Jon knows Arya is a faceless man.

Jon kind of forgot he died and Arya kind of forgot she's a faceless man

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

mastershakeman posted:

Nearly every interaction is between an A tier character (Starks/Dany/Lannister) and one or more B tier. The only real exceptions are Jon/Dany and jaime/Tyrion. It's completely amazing none of the Starks have discussed with each other any detail of what happened to bran , Sansa, Arya or Jon. I don't even think Arya knows Jon died, or that Jon knows Arya is a faceless man. This makes me madder than everything else in the show, really

Well you see, Arya asked Jon "how did you survive getting stabbed in the chest" (like she didn't survive getting tripple stabbed in her lower abdomen, ffs) and he went "I didn't" and then they hugged. The shade of the lamp has been sated.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mastershakeman posted:

I don't even think Arya knows Jon died, or that Jon knows Arya is a faceless man.

Arya’s first question to Jon when the reunite is how did he survive the stab through the heart to which Jon says he didn’t so his resurrection is known to her in some capacity. Her not telling anyone about being a faceless Assassin is probably because telling people you can essentially shapeshift into people you kill would turn everyone into a paranoid mess.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Roblo posted:

You missed the scene earlier on in the season?

Probably

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

TheKevman posted:

I mean talk about falling up in life, these rear end-wipes that somehow have no TV experience come along and get spoon fed an instant classic, fail immediately after they run out of GRRM content, then get tapped by Disney to write/direct 3 Star Wars movies in the multi billion dollar franchise.

Defying gravity and logic.

David Benioff is the son of a former Goldman Sachs CEO, hope that clears it up

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Arya’s first question to Jon when the reunite is how did he survive the stab through the heart to which Jon says he didn’t so his resurrection is known to her in some capacity. Her not telling anyone about being a faceless Assassin is probably because telling people you can essentially shapeshift into people you kill would turn everyone into a paranoid mess.

They're each other's best friends growing up. I wanted a scene like the excellent Tyrion/Jaime one

Then again we didn't even get to see them talk about Jon's heritage so it's not like this show cares the slightest bit about the stark family beyond their individual powers

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

i expect they weren't hired by disney because of story telling ability, but more for their management style

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Cersei had Qyburn cockblock Bronn when he was with a couple prostitutes (Lena Headey and Jerome Flynn are bitter exes in real life, so this is extra amusing). Cersei hired Bronn to kill her brothers with the same crossbow Tyrion used to kill Tywin on the pooper. Bronn zipped up to Winterfell, punched Tyrion in the nose, and said he was open to their counteroffer, then got out of the scene as fast as possible, probably to get back to the prostitutes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJkg-p2K3eI

'I've never known bells to mean surrender."

The showrunners just kind of forgot that bells don't mean poo poo.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

PostNouveau posted:

The showrunners just kind of forgot that bells don't mean poo poo.

If this show gave any drat about its own mythology or the mythology of the books we could also note the one time that the bells were used for deception in the infamous Battle of the Bells.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

An Apple A Gay posted:

i expect they weren't hired by disney because of story telling ability, but more for their management style

I mean, they do a fine job of writing scenes that are primarily meant to serve as a delivery service for cool visuals and in some other media products that might be desireable.

Star wars hasn't had a movie with a strong narrative thrust in decades so w/e, they might make a fine popcorn trilogy.

But wow is that just a yikes choice to run game of thrones.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Star Wars has been terrible since after Return of the Jedi and I can't wait for it to just die already. Lucas Films and Disney are doing a great job cratering that poo poo once and for all.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The Star Wars decision was made prior to Feb 2018.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Star Wars has been terrible since after Return of the Jedi and I can't wait for it to just die already. Lucas Films and Disney are doing a great job cratering that poo poo once and for all.

The only star wars thing to come out since rotj is solo, unless I’m mistaken??? One thing alone doesn’t exactly form a trend.

E: although 9 will be directed by Abrams so it will probably kinda mediocre/ok at the absolute best.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 15, 2019

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Panzeh posted:

The two books after ASOS are definitely worse, but even with the decline in quality the most recent two books are nowhere near as bad as Got seasons 5-8.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

The only star wars thing to come out since rotj is solo, unless I’m mistaken??? One thing alone doesn’t exactly form a trend.

Last of the Jedi isn't Return of the Jedi.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Last of the Jedi isn't Return of the Jedi.

I am a stupid

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They're a great choice to make a Star Wars movie on every level except storytelling. The movies will look gorgeous, they'll have a likable cast, they'll come in on time and under budget, and they'll be absolutely retarded.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

The two books after ASOS are definitely worse, but even with the decline in quality the most recent two books are nowhere near as bad as Got seasons 5-8.

I can unironically enjoy the wheel of time books, so I have a high tolerance for lots of 'nothing happens and also here is another minor character to care about' in my books. I'm still hopeful that the last two can be fun reads even though the most likely outcome is they end up the least focused/finely crafted out of the whole series.

General Dog posted:

They're a great choice to make a Star Wars movie on every level except storytelling. The movies will look gorgeous, they'll have a likable cast, they'll come in on time and under budget, and they'll be absolutely retarded.

For Star Wars that's everything you can hope for at this point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nah it's really not you. All of these sub titles are loving stupid.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

I said come in! posted:

Solo made it's money back, Rogue One did solid, and the two main films made crazy stupid gently caress off money. They will ride this train into the ground for decades.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mulva posted:

Solo made it's money back, Rogue One did solid, and the two main films made crazy stupid gently caress off money. They will ride this train into the ground for decades.

Disney very likely lost money on Solo when you take marketing and the theaters' cut of the revenue into account. That said, the IP as a whole will still be a reliable cash cow for them on the whole for years to come.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Man, I wish I owned the Star Wars franchise. Then I wouldn't have to work anymore. Lucky Disney

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Idk. I think they probably need to have some non-Jedi focused movies do real well to expand the Star Wars movies.

I’m probably wrong but I do think audiences will get tired of young Jedi faces evil empire story line.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

General Dog posted:

Disney very likely lost money on Solo when you take marketing and the theaters' cut of the revenue into account. That said, the IP as a whole will still be a reliable cash cow for them on the whole for years to come.

Theaters don't actually make money on movie tickets. I remember reading about this from a goon who use to run a movie theater. This is the reason why food at theaters is so expensive and why they are so hostile towards people bringing their own food in.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Theaters don't actually make money on movie tickets. I remember reading about this from a goon who use to run a movie theater. This is the reason why food at theaters is so expensive and why they are so hostile towards people bringing their own food in.

Their cut of the tickets isn't enough for them to turn a profit, but they do get a cut.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Raccooon posted:

Idk. I think they probably need to have some non-Jedi focused movies do real well to expand the Star Wars movies.

I’m probably wrong but I do think audiences will get tired of young Jedi faces evil empire story line.

I dunno man people haven't gotten tired of the Marvel movies yet and most of them have the same basic formula and style.

And I say that as someone that actually thought Endgame was pretty good and hilariously is much better than anything Game of Thrones has done this season.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The funny thing is that if someone sat down and said, "let's take the things people liked about Game of Thrones and try to engineer a Star Wars out of it", they would basically end up with the prequel trilogy.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

General Dog posted:

The funny thing is that if someone sat down and said, "let's take the things people liked about Game of Thrones and try to engineer a Star Wars out of it", they would basically end up with the prequel trilogy.

That's the hottest take. What character in the good parts of GOT remind you of Jar Jar Binks or Sand Anakin?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Opferwurst posted:

That's the hottest take. What character in the good parts of GOT remind you of Jar Jar Binks or Sand Anakin?

Hordor is Jar Jar Binks, and Sand Anakin is Daenarys.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Opferwurst posted:

Mostly the "realpolitik in a fantasy setting" stuff, aka "the boring parts", also the largely un-romantic portrayal of (Jedi) Knights.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

I said come in! posted:

Nah it's really not you. All of these sub titles are loving stupid.

Which star wars title are you? Are you more of a

STAR WARS: THE NOUN VERBS
Or maybe a
STAR WARS: NOUN OF THE NOUNS
Or if you're feeling saucy, maybe
STAR WARS: PREDICATE ADJECTIVE NOUN

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

Hordor is Jar Jar Binks, and Sand Anakin is Daenarys.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

COOL CORN posted:

Bronn has been getting hosed out of his castle for years now. First Tyrion went and got arrested, then Cersei took the marriage deal to the Stokeworth's away, then Jaime outright refused to give him Highgarden. Bronn is tired of the Lannisters. He still likes Tyrion which is why he didn't just murder them, plus he knows Cersei is a two-timing piece of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno man people haven't gotten tired of the Marvel movies yet and most of them have the same basic formula and style.

And I say that as someone that actually thought Endgame was pretty good and hilariously is much better than anything Game of Thrones has done this season.

I think Marvel has the advatange of just switching to a new character with different abilities/story to keep things interesting. They don’t even have to think of the characters themselves just go rummage through old comics for something.

Really the charm of the movies is the cross over of characters into other movies and see them interact. The single character ones tend to be the most boring.

Also they haven’t locked themselves into trilogies that require some epic story of defeating the ultimate evil.

Disney looks ready to jump straight into two more trilogies.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 15, 2019