Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

Some Pixel 4 leaks from a Youtuber who supposedly was correct on a bunch of Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a stuff:

-capacitive buttons instead of traditional volume and power buttons
-hole punch display
-in-display fingerprint reader
-128GB storage, 6GB of Ram
-dual camera on the rear

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Pixel-4-no-physical-buttons-features-leak_id116059

If you watch the presentation at I/O of the super-interactive voice assistant it is being done on a device in a bulky rear end box, but with a nice display and a camera in the top left. There was speculation at the time this was a P4 prototype.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQSaPsKHPqs

Or maybe the camera is in the middle and the sensors are in the top left? Who knows. Hopefully in-display readers get much better because I love the speed and ease of the back reader.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

Man, one of our engineers at work posted about how you can use some software to get your MFA stuff moved onto your laptop for work access and our infosec person was immediately like "Do not do this, if I catch you doing this you will be in trouble."

I don't understand the point of going through the trouble to setup MFA and then obviating it.

That's how I feel about the apps with cloud backup. I just don't trust them with the data needed to clone my auth tokens.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Incessant Excess posted:

Some Pixel 4 leaks from a Youtuber who supposedly was correct on a bunch of Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a stuff:

-hole punch display
-dual camera on the rear

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Pixel-4-no-physical-buttons-features-leak_id116059

Just as I was convincing myself I was done with Pixels and was gonna change to Samsung fulltime.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Moved over from iPhone to Galaxy s10 and really like it.

I need to master reset it though for a few reasons but have no clue how to fully back it up to a computer so I can restore it afterwards.

Everything I find basically says to download some random 3rd party program, or make sure Google & Samsung backups are turned on.

Is there a good way to perform a full back up (media, apps, settings, etc) to a computer and then restore it after the master reset?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RZA Encryption posted:

That's how I feel about the apps with cloud backup. I just don't trust them with the data needed to clone my auth tokens.

Yeah, it's definitely not great but I also am always afraid I'm gonna break my phone and then never be able to log into certain accounts ever again which is also less than ideal.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Yeah you gotta store backup codes somewhere safe.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think if your 2FA codes are stored in the cloud behind a different 2FA mechanism, that's likely a good blend between security and convenience. Should you put your companies root accounts 2FA codes there? No, but for most other things... If it drives the adoption of 2FA I'm all for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Alfalfa posted:

I need to master reset it though for a few reasons but have no clue how to fully back it up to a computer so I can restore it afterwards.

Everything I find basically says to download some random 3rd party program, or make sure Google & Samsung backups are turned on.

Is there a good way to perform a full back up (media, apps, settings, etc) to a computer and then restore it after the master reset?

No.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

How is 1password auto fill these days? Getting kinda sick of LastPass too

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Alfalfa posted:

To further elaborate, no, definitely not like iPhone. But you should be backing up contacts, calendar, etc via Google (just have all that stuff turned on to sync in your Google accounts page), and then make sure to choose whatever option is like "restore from previous phone" when setting it back up, so that apps will automatically download and some keep their settings, your Google accounts will be put back on, that kinda thing. Things that you should use a 3rd party backup for because they won't be restored: texts, stuff you've downloaded to your phone as a file, and maybe that's it?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm glad that if nothing else, the Pixel 3's terrible sales at least made Google take hardware trends seriously.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It can have all that and people will still be calling it a dated design when it comes out.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

It can have all that and people will still be calling it a dated design when it comes out.

It likely wouldn't be pushing any envelopes but at least it could be considered to not be lacking behind like the Pixel 3 XL, so hopefully you'd see less of that sentiment.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

But why In Display fingerprint readers? Why copy the Hole Punch? Why Curved Edges (probably), Why the impossible to understand limit on Memory/Storage on a $1000+ Device?

It just seems like the Pixel's started out trying to be a pretty good Flagship plan with the Pixel 1/2's, then they sort of lost their way and by the date they are announced, they are already 6 months to a year behind in design and specs.

Sure they are usually polished to offset that, and the cameras are undoubtedly still some of the best, but the way they seem to follow the trend, rather then try and set something themselves is really puzzling considering the way they did it with the Nexus line. Here is a good Reference Android device. Now the Reference would be great if it was in reverse timing but it's not now.

What is interesting, is the 3a's sort of do that with the mid range price/performance phones at least for the US. Wonder how long that will hold true I guess.

Overall my 2XL as long as it doesn't have some catastrophic battery failure, will probably remain my device go to until the Pixel 5's at this point if the leak is true. Guess we will see. At least unlike the Nexus 6P with the 810 SOC, the 835 hasn't felt slow in anything yet and unless Google pulls an iPhone with Q, I don't really see that changing yet at least. Unless the 4G ram limit comes into play when they finally raise it which I doubt considering the 3a's Just came out and have 3 years of support.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
There's a plugin available for Keepass on the desktop called KeeOTP that I use. It stores the raw 'seed' that you'd usually scan as a QR code, and it then generates OTP codes:

...so again, all you need to remember is your Keepass master password, and to keep the .kdbx file backed-up somewhere safe. It also means that if you get a new phone, you can just input the OTP seed from the Keepass entry without loving around with cloud backups or whatever.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

EdEddnEddy posted:

Sure they are usually polished to offset that

I wouldn't describe the Pixel software experience that way necessarily. The gestures and app switcher are areas where the software lacks behind some of the competition in my opinion. When the first Pixel came out, a big factor that got people excited was the quality and smoothness of the UI, other manufactures did a lot of catching up since then so the superiority isn't as stark as it once was, in some areas it's not there at all anymore.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Am I just crazy or does having an expandable storage slot in your phone make you feel like you need to have a card in there? I was fine with no expandable storage on my 64GB iPhones, but I feel like I should put a card in my 128GB S10e, even though I'll never even use up the base storage.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

-hole punch display
-dual camera on the rear

Please no goddamn hole punch, just leave a small bezel ffs. This chasing of zero bezels despite all comprises is absurd and lovely.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

How is 1password auto fill these days? Getting kinda sick of LastPass too

It works great. I tap the autofill popup, fingerprint for 1password comes up and instantly works, then it autosearches for what it thinks matches the app/site/field, and if it can't find something it lets me search my DB for an entry to match to it for future use. I really really like 1password and have been pleasantly surprised by how well it works.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Taffer posted:

Please no goddamn hole punch, just leave a small bezel ffs. This chasing of zero bezels despite all comprises is absurd and lovely.

Pick your poison: bezel, notch, hole-punch, pop-up, none.
-Bezel is nice because you still need space for front firing speakers unless you're fully on the BT train.
-Notch, especially center notches, are pretty ugly. But like the P3XL, you do still get a FF Speaker.
-Hole-Punch is probably the best right now because the rest of the real-estate parallel to the punch is used for a notification/status bar.
-Pop-Up is the most compromising since you'll lose water-proofing and have a higher-risk of damaging your camera.
-None just wont work for mass market because selfies are a thing.

I imagine in-screen will be the future option, followed by an external camera/mic stick once AR headsets become the norm.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Putting my hat in the ring for Bitwarden. I switched from Keepass to Bitwarden about a year ago and can definitely recommend it.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Tykero posted:

Putting my hat in the ring for Bitwarden. I switched from Keepass to Bitwarden about a year ago and can definitely recommend it.

I'm using Keepass right now but find some aspects of it clunky, like sometimes I'll hit autofill with keepass on my phone and then get taken to the app, where I have to enter my master password and then get told that it couldn't find the entry despite it being there.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I wouldn't describe the Pixel software experience that way necessarily. The gestures and app switcher are areas where the software lacks behind some of the competition in my opinion. When the first Pixel came out, a big factor that got people excited was the quality and smoothness of the UI, other manufactures did a lot of catching up since then so the superiority isn't as stark as it once was, in some areas it's not there at all anymore.

And that's why I said "Usually Polished" but everyone else for the most part, caught up, and Pixel in some way seems to be regressing with the issues the 3's have been having with some users. So they lost that sort of lead as well.

It seams that Notch and Hole Punch is a temporary thing at least. The popup sounds daunting but I believe they can still make it waterproof, make it reliable and as long as they can stop doing this curved edge crap, make a full faced screen look and work great if they would stop trying to chase or copy any other fad that nobody wants.

Or do the other thing and pull a Razer Phone. Big front facing speakers, add a really good screen, and make it a flat slab of glass and I'm happy. The rest is what is on the inside that matters more.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

It works great. I tap the autofill popup, fingerprint for 1password comes up and instantly works, then it autosearches for what it thinks matches the app/site/field, and if it can't find something it lets me search my DB for an entry to match to it for future use. I really really like 1password and have been pleasantly surprised by how well it works.

I use 1password and it works 99% of the time super well and 1% of the time not at all based on the website i go to and I'm ok with that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Am I just crazy or does having an expandable storage slot in your phone make you feel like you need to have a card in there? I was fine with no expandable storage on my 64GB iPhones, but I feel like I should put a card in my 128GB S10e, even though I'll never even use up the base storage.

Don't do it. Expandable storage on Android only half works and will leave you screwed it different ways (depending on set up) with your card craps out. It's worth it ignoring the card if you don't need it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Do you use autofill with your password manager yay/nay?

I figure I don't really need to since most sites stay logged in and it's not that much of a pain to copy/paste. Also it's a way of avoiding a possible autofill sploit.

Also, are there some passwords you shouldn't store on there? Trying to think things through here. If my Gmail is compromised, most of my other stuff is too due to password reset. So I might as well leave my Gmail password out of the manager, and store my complex manager password somewhere on my Gmail account. Have 2FA obvs.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ola posted:

I figure I don't really need to since most sites stay logged in and it's not that much of a pain to copy/paste. Also it's a way of avoiding a possible autofill sploit.

Also, are there some passwords you shouldn't store on there? Trying to think things through here. If my Gmail is compromised, most of my other stuff is too due to password reset. So I might as well leave my Gmail password out of the manager, and store my complex manager password somewhere on my Gmail account. Have 2FA obvs.

Not using autofill is a best practice, for sure.

I keep my main email password outside of my complex manager. If for some reason I get locked out of my 2FA for everything else, or locked out of my password manager for everything else, I can still get into Gmail with it's 2FA to reset as many of my accounts as I can.

It leaves me with only having to remember 2 passwords. My password manager master password and my main Gmail account password. I feel like that's reasonable and putting my main Gmail account password in the password manager adds a good deal of risk without much benefit.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I leave LastPass logged out on my phone because I don't log into sites on it too often, so I don't mind typing in my password occasionally.

I have it set up to ask for my password after a set amount of time on my home PC, but not ask for 2FA. My laptop, it asks for 2FA. I feel it's more likely to lose my laptop so I want the additional layer of security (though I doubt anyone will want to be hacking my Windows login versus just flipping the device for money).

I'll let LastPass auto fill on my phone, usually using the built in browser inside LastPass, but that fails like 40% of the time, so copying passwords is common.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ola posted:

I do for personal use, the Android API plus 1password leave me pretty comfortable using it for my own poo poo. The convenience outweighs the risk for me. I also use 2FA (Authy) extensively wherever possible.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm using Keepass right now but find some aspects of it clunky, like sometimes I'll hit autofill with keepass on my phone and then get taken to the app, where I have to enter my master password and then get told that it couldn't find the entry despite it being there.

Are you using Keepass2Android? When that happens, select the bottom-left option to search for the entry yourself. When you select it, it will ask if you want to associate the app with that entry. Say yes and you won't have to deal with that again.

For needing to keep entering your master password, you can try turn off battery optimization features for the app. That might help your phone keep it in memory longer. What is happening is the program gets kicked out of memory so you gotta unlock your database again.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

vyst posted:

I use 1password and it works 99% of the time super well and 1% of the time not at all based on the website i go to and I'm ok with that.

Thank you both, if it's better than the 50/50 of lastpass recently then I'll give it a shot

It used to be so slick but since switching back to the freemium model it's been a bit poo poo

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Tetrabor posted:

Pick your poison: bezel, notch, hole-punch, pop-up, none.
-Bezel is nice because you still need space for front firing speakers unless you're fully on the BT train.
-Notch, especially center notches, are pretty ugly. But like the P3XL, you do still get a FF Speaker.
-Hole-Punch is probably the best right now because the rest of the real-estate parallel to the punch is used for a notification/status bar.
-Pop-Up is the most compromising since you'll lose water-proofing and have a higher-risk of damaging your camera.
-None just wont work for mass market because selfies are a thing.

I imagine in-screen will be the future option, followed by an external camera/mic stick once AR headsets become the norm.

A bezel isn't poison. As long as it's not some giant monstrosity like the pixel 1/2 it's far superior to all the other options which very prominently interfere with the screen space. I'll take a smaller screen over screen intrusions any day of the week.

I don't get why everyone suddenly considers a small bezel a compromise, it allows space for FF speakers, camera(s), and any other required sensors, all of which are more important than a few sq mm of screen space.

Like once we can easily jam speakers and cameras behind the screen, sure I'll take a no bezel phone. But until then, gimme bezels, thanks. I blame the awful phone reviewers who laud absolute poo poo product design which offers nothing of value except increased costs. "It feels premium", also it's heavier, more expensive, and more fragile than a glass vase. Cool.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I leave autofill on, but I have Bitwarden set to lock immediately and unlock with fingerprint. That's ideally how I wanted Lastpass to work and I've found Bitwarden more reliable and in general much faster.

One more perk I forgot to mention, it's easy to export out of Lastpass into Bitwarden.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Huh, just setting up a Pixel 3a and it says it'll restore SMS messages. Guess we'll see if it works.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Kind of tempted by the 3a especially with the free netbook it comes with in the uk but theres so many so much cooler phones coming out in the near future it seems more sensible to wait for the next pixel or whatever huawei/xiaomi do next. Cant think what it will do so much better than a battered ebay honor 7 to justify dropping several hundred quid on it really.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I use RoboForm, which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere. I don't know if it's better or worse than anything, it works for me. I've had it forever on PC.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just as I was convincing myself I was done with Pixels and was gonna change to Samsung fulltime.

I think I'll still switch. No point in 6GB RAM when:

1. Google doesn't even use 3GB on my Pixel 3, and kicks poo poo out of memory like it's a paedophile in a primary school.
2. If they are going to charge the same amount of money for the Pixel 4 as the flagship Samsung, put 8GB RAM in there (and use it).
3. The Pixel 3 UI stutters like a midrange Android from 2010 at times. The inconsistent experience is maddening.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

I don't mind notches, they're sub-optimal, but I get it. Put the clock and wifi and some notification icons on the sides. It's usually empty space anyway.

But hole punches? What use are you getting out of that sliver of display on the outside edge? Shove it into a corner notch and it'd be way more acceptable to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Despite me not preferring curved sides and the fact that I keep going back and forth on whether or not I like big phones. I'm gonna do it, I'm going all in on the 7 pro when it goes on sale tomorrow.

I mean gently caress it, why not?

I'm still going to keep the P3 around for now, probably swapping to it for occasions where I want a smaller footprint.

And yes, I still have a 6T too. I have a problem. (Though, to be fair, the 6T is costing me nothing at all since work pays for my cell phone bill.). I just can't sell it off until the payment plan ends on it, but like I said, I'm not the one paying for it.

I just don't want a hole punch phone, so I'm content to sit this round out as far as the pixels go in the hopes that they have a better solution on later iterations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

^Kinda glad OnePlus doesn't sell in Aus cuz it's looking good and I share your problem but also like hole punches.

I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a Pixel but capacitive power/volume buttons are dumb as hell.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 16, 2019