Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I've completely built out the grand amphitheater which allows for gladiators, which are basically free commanders with high-teen martial skill. According to the wiki it's available once every 5 years.

Also completely built out the underground city which comes with spikes which can be used for intimidation. I also have a torture chamber in there which allows for a "Private Conversation" interaction but doesn't seem to do anything so I think it's bugged. Looking at the wiki I see that was actually a generic feature and I should've chosen "Dungeon" for the 10% arrest chance boost.

I've done the lighthouse as well.

This page seems to be a lot more fleshed out since HF release: https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Great_works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

if you ever wanted to play with intrigue or seduction lifestyle focus, both are extremely powerful in the hands of a patrician

intrigue for obvious reasons, seduction because you want to have a shitload of dynasts and because it's way easier to murder a guy if you're cucking him and can get his wife in on the plot

for real, get all borgia with that poo poo. be as big of a motherfucker as you can. pagans = reaving, patricians = stabfucking

This sounds fantastic, I'm all for it.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh yeah, I built the Library a few kings ago, just because I had surplus money after a Crusade. Then got the honor guard, which is nice. 100 gold to spring up the 1500 troop Library Police on demand (and they automatically teleport to my capital upon buying them) is fun.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
With all the DLC what's the best way to kill myself? What's the best way to kill my heir?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Lead armies into losing battles when you don't have any combat rating.
Also have your heir join you.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Mortabis posted:

With all the DLC what's the best way to kill myself? What's the best way to kill my heir?

Make your son a commander and park him in diseases ridden counties and when your character notices he's sick just dont call the court physician. As for suicide, it's based on your skills. I'm not sure if the poison is high intrigue or learning. But if you have a high enough martial, the best suicide option is losing a duel.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mortabis posted:

Get depression and then commit suicide.

Failing that, there's dueling, leading an army and walking yourself into a plague zone, Satan, or join the assassins and screw up the loyalty oath.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
My best run has been crippled by Paradox's coding.

The CB they used locks you at 75% war score for battles. Shortly after I joined the war, the Fylkir and his only ally both lost their landed titles and yet the war didn't end. So I've been locked in this war for about 38 years now, as I've played a bit since.

I have absolutely no idea how to end this war, as the enemy can't raise enough troops to successfully lay siege to any county I own. And no matter how many times I battle him, I can never capture either the Fylkir or his ally.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Set up the greatest warriors in the realm with low intrigue wives. Seduce those wives in the most obvious way possible until you get a rival. Repeat. After five years, choose the war focus and start dueling your new badass rivals. Note this only works if your character is not a great fighter. Also note this doesn't usually work because the greatest warriors in the realm are terrible at noticing their wife is cheating.

But it is the most entertaining way to commit suicide.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

The CB they used locks you at 75% war score for battles. Shortly after I joined the war, the Fylkir and his only ally both lost their landed titles and yet the war didn't end. So I've been locked in this war for about 38 years now, as I've played a bit since.

I have absolutely no idea how to end this war, as the enemy can't raise enough troops to successfully lay siege to any county I own. And no matter how many times I battle him, I can never capture either the Fylkir or his ally.

If it's Ironman, plot to kill your ally. Break the alliance somehow and you'll leave the war.

If it's not Ironman, edit the save file to end the war.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
We're not allied and since it's a crusade, I think it will just pass on. It's definitely not the same teutonic commander.

Dont get me wrong, thanks for the advice and I'm giving it a shot, im just not hopeful.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Also completely built out the underground city which comes with spikes which can be used for intimidation. I also have a torture chamber in there which allows for a "Private Conversation" interaction but doesn't seem to do anything so I think it's bugged.
oh on this note, sending a cask of alcohol from a private brewery also appears to be bugged

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Sadly killing the leader of the teutonic order did not end their crusade and the bugged war continues.

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007
Do Great Works benefits stack? I built a Great Library and then conquered Baghdad so now I have 2. I guess they're not identical since the House of Wisdom was already leveled up and maxed out with upgrades while mine is only level 2, but if the benefits don't stack I'll have to plan my library better.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

OK, firing up the CK2 stream again. Last time there was a very suspicious cancer that devastated my streaming partner.

I think you can all figure out what happened.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

If it's not ironman, use the console to imprison the Fylkir.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Unfortunately it is, I managed to have a coronation at 46, turns out its rules for 30 years as an adult. I managed to eat and opinion of -60 for not being crowned and still have moderate vassal opinions. I need to lose zealous to secretly convert to Judaism and spread that secretly.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm building a Great Harbour in a Trade Post county (my capital).
It's somewhat slow going getting the money to improve it, but I've just taken another Trade Post, so that should help.
+85 Trade Value and +~15% Tax Income should be nice, plus a few bonuses to Levy size. It's the sort of thing you probably want to be a Republic to get the most out of, but who doesn't like extra money?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm a muslim duke in a sprawling kingdom and allied with a neighbouring empire (Hispania). My Hispanian ally keeps declaring a conquest war on my liege for one of my direct vassal's counties in a duchy I hold. I can't tell him to gently caress off but I can offer to join Hispania's war to steal my own land. The gently caress?

Also annoying: I won Italy in a jihad, but wasn't granted the kingdom as my liege was and still is only a king. The current so-called King of Italy was reduced to two counties in Hungary and later inherited most of Brittany and Somerset in England. Okay then. Being a vassal archduke sucks; it's much better to be a vassal king of kings to an emperor.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 14, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PizzaProwler posted:

Excellent, thank you. I thought it was something like that, but I couldn't remember the specifics. Do you know if it'll still give you a post if you're at or above your post limit? I mean, I would assume not, but a man can dream.

Almost 100% sure it will, but I haven't found myself in that situation in a long time. I tend to build my trade posts way the gently caress away from everyone, and land patricians way the gently caress away from me ,so I don't have other families interfering with my trade zones. As such, I don't really have much of a motive to kill off rival families, and since they have land and their own trade playground to grow in, they tend to make huge families that aren't prone to dying off naturally.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

I'm a muslim duke in a sprawling kingdom and allied with a neighbouring empire (Hispania). My Hispanian ally keeps declaring a conquest war on my liege for one of my direct vassal's counties in a duchy I hold. I can't tell him to gently caress off but I can offer to join Hispania's war to steal my own land. The gently caress?

Also annoying: I won Italy in a jihad, but wasn't granted the kingdom as my liege was and still is only a king. The current so-called King of Italy was reduced to two counties in Hungary and later inherited most of Brittany and Somerset in England. Okay then. Being a vassal archduke sucks; it's much better to be a vassal king of kings to an emperor.

Start an independence faction. Once you go independent, since you're allied he cant take your poo poo. Or you could swear fealty to him after

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Well, after the shitshow that was her father's reign, Deidre the Queen of Ireland is having a peaceful go of it. I had to give her vassals a few territories each to get things beneath a reasonable limit, but other than that, she might actually pull off this Empire of Britannia thing in her lifetime.

...except for the small problem, she's decided she's a lesbian at age 15 and the game is helpfully blaring that there are no heirs, her death means the end of the game. K

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 15, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DeathChicken posted:

Well, after the shitshow that was her father's reign, Deidre the Queen of Ireland is having a peaceful go of it. I had to give her vassals a few territories each to get things beneath a reasonable limit, but other than that, she might actually pull off this Empire of Britannia thing in her lifetime.

...except for the small problem, she's decided she's a lesbian at age 15 and the game is helpfully blaring that there are no heirs, her death means the end of the game. K

Can't a lesbian still take on a male partner just for heirs sake?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DeathChicken posted:

You can still grab a matrilineal marriage and will probably pop out a few kids anyways. take a focus that ups fertility if you need better chances. Or use seduction focus to really try for a kid.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Lesbians can only seduce other lesbians with the seduction focus. You will want the family focus instead. But yeah, being gay isn’t a big problem, it’s just -15% fertility and you can get +45 with groom an heir and family focus.

E: be sure your husband is lustful too

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 15, 2019

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Yeah, marry even if you're gay, since you get your spouse's stats added to yours.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can you lesbian up another female whose married to a ruler, and then seduce him to put baby juice in your belly? That'd be a cool subversive way to gain land and claims and what not.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Don't forget that if you've got female unmarried relatives, you can set them up for matrilineal marriages and grow your dynasty that way too.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Lustful cancels out the penalties of being gay, with only a small piety hit!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Can you lesbian up another female whose married to a ruler, and then seduce him to put baby juice in your belly? That'd be a cool subversive way to gain land and claims and what not.

i'm unclear on what your question is exactly but the basic answer is "if you are playing a gay woman, you will only be able to seduce other gay women. dicks (and therefore pregnancy) will not be part of the equation under any circumstances."

this is also true of gay men. if you play a gay man, you will only be able to seduce other gay men. vagina (and therefore pregnancy) will not be part of the equation under any circumstances.

suffice it to say, the seduction focus is pretty useless for gay people - the best thing you can get out of it is the master seducer/seductress trait for the mammoth sex appeal it gives you, which imo isn't worth a 5 year investment all by itself.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Coolguye posted:

i'm unclear on what your question is exactly but the basic answer is "if you are playing a gay woman, you will only be able to seduce other gay women. dicks (and therefore pregnancy) will not be part of the equation under any circumstances."

this is also true of gay men. if you play a gay man, you will only be able to seduce other gay men. vagina (and therefore pregnancy) will not be part of the equation under any circumstances.

suffice it to say, the seduction focus is pretty useless for gay people - the best thing you can get out of it is the master seducer/seductress trait for the mammoth sex appeal it gives you, which imo isn't worth a 5 year investment all by itself.

That answers my questions. I'd have hoped that even a gay playthrough would allow options to go "not gay" for the sake of producing heirs. Unless there's another way to do that? Can you kidnap and enslave children? I'm still new to this game and don't understand all the nuances. I just kinda sit there at speed 2 and read my mail popups and mash a button to make a decision once in a while.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oh sure, you can still marry and produce kids that way, and it's not even difficult. a marriage where one or both partners are gay functions exactly like a normal marriage, the only note is that fertility is lower (-15%). this is really only a small problem. being lustful gives +20%, the groom an heir ambition gives +20%, and the family focus gives +25%. the family focus also provides a possibility for you to fall in love with your spouse, which also increases fertility by more than the gay trait reduces it.

and yes, it's totally possible for a lesbian woman to fall in love with her husband.

i think the much harder thing on your agenda would be the larger goal of 'gay playthrough'. gay people are relatively rare (i'd estimate maybe 5-8% of the overall number of characters in the game) so ensuring that you consistently play gay characters would be very difficult indeed. but yeah, when i'm evaluating the overall quality of a character, homosexuality doesn't even trip my radar as a problem. i actually hate the Chaste trait a lot more because it has some bang on effects that make chaste people even less likely to reproduce than the -20% fertility makes it seem.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a chaste lesbian one time, who finally got pregnant at like 38

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Should I be actively doing poo poo with my heirs, or am I stuck with whatever they are aside from marriage, focus, and ambitions?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I control the marriage of all my heirs, but I don't like landing them. It would help them in the prestige department, but it also opens the risk of them divorcing the genius wife I picked up for them, and having them materially marry some random 60 year-old countess halfway across the continent.

I'll land other dynasty members, but if they have claims on my stuff they can sit in my court and be useless.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Whose better to land then? Cousins/siblings or courtiers?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It depends on the situation. Landing anyone you're related to will improve your dynasty score and increase the inheritance pool if you run into a dead-end on the family tree, but close relations like siblings might have strong claims on your titles. It might not matter that generation, but if their children inherit those claims as well as their own titles, you might have an antagonist in the future. Cousins are probably safer, and even more distant relations are even better.

If you want some generic "yes-men" as your vassals, random courtiers will love you for landing them. Landing old men that might not produce an heir will also let you drop your current holdings count and allow them develop that land, and when they die it goes right back to you.

Either way, if you land someone that has a claim you can press for them, they'll stay your vassal (as long as it's lower than your current title). This is one of the key things I look at when landing people and I want to expand.

A problem I run into when running Pagan games is by landing my dynasty, I'll can reach a point where all of the eligible marriage candidates will be distantly related to me.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

A problem I run into when running Pagan games is by landing my dynasty, I'll can reach a point where all of the eligible marriage candidates will be distantly related to me.

That's where you either just ignore it (distant relatives aren't much of an inbred risk), or embrace Zoro.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Randaconda posted:

I had a chaste lesbian one time, who finally got pregnant at like 38

yeah this however is a kiss of death, never marry a chaste gay person

chaosapiant posted:

Whose better to land then? Cousins/siblings or courtiers?

boy is this a Topic

this depends heavily on your goal. landing your entire dynasty is a good idea for spiking both dynasty prestige and fertility, since rulers have more fertility than random courtiers. but as O&O said, this spreads your claims around and will destabilize your realm in certain ways. if you have 6 kids, and one inherits, the reality of the situation is that the other 5 kids you had are going to hate your heir for the rest of their loving days due to Title Claimant -20 and Pretender and Claimant to (your primary title) -25 stacking. god forbid they are also ambitious for another -25. so landing brothers and sisters is, in general, not a good idea. they can hate you all they want if they're just random courtiers, the best thing they are going to be able to do is put their complaints in their blog. but if they are your vassals, they will use their political power and money to plot against you and join factions.

the primary way around this is to make them subvassals of placid vassals. in this situation, they do not have access to you, so their opinions don't matter to you. so for example, making them a count under a duke that likes you is safe. making them a baron under a lord mayor or prince-bishop is safe. landing them in an area you intend to grant independence to is safe as well - i have done this a couple of times when, for example, i establish the kingdom of ireland but am not interested in holding it long term. i will get hold of the kingdom of west francia and set to have my heir take that, while my spare takes ireland. this sounds counterproductive but can simplify your life quite a lot and will ensure that you will have a near-constant source of safe dynasts because after two generations there is literally no way anyone from that old kingdom has claims you care about anymore.

this, however, can be safely spoken about as an advanced move because the family dynamics get so complicated so quickly. until you have a better grasp on things it is fine to just land random courtiers, especially if you go the extra step of sabotaging their marriage and skills. to do this, spawn a holy man and a debutante. matrilineally marry the two, and grant whatever title is up for grabs to the man. this has a couple of overall effects:
1) your vassal has a learning education, which is about as practical and useful as a poetry major in today's world
2) his marriage will result in non-dynastic heirs, giving him a priority to fulfill (get rid of his wife and get dynastic heirs) before he can even consider loving with you. he is the only one of his dynasty and from his perspective, it is going extinct unless he does something. the AI takes this very seriously.
3) because they have just been spawned they will have no claims of their own, and will have to wait at least a full generation before attempting to gain any. since their claims are limited to one county, or one county and one duchy if they're lucky, they won't be very high on the totem pole.

this technique will make vassal management a huge amount easier, which depending on what you're playing for might be worth it even if landing your dynasty is much 'better' overall.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like landing my dynasty because the drama makes the game more exciting.