Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sam Faust posted:

I watched this a few times, and I think I was able to figure out three new things.

1. at 0:41: Bloopers seem to work differently in 3D World style. It looks like they swim directly at you now. I don't remember if bloopers were even in 3D World so I don't know if this matches their behavior in that game.

Yeah that's exactly how they acted in 3D World

EDIT See at 0:36 in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iieNSYDtZqw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I thought Athletic theme was the one from SMB3, notably from 1-4?

Well, ‘athletic theme’ refers to a) A level gameplay style, b) the corresponding tile set, and c) the corresponding music track.
So, the first Athletic level in all of Super Mario Bros. is Super Mario Bros. (1) World 1-3. (And the first one in SMB3 is 1-4, as you mentioned.)
In general, the most common usage for the term ‘athletic theme’ is in reference to the music, but with SMM we almost always mean the tile set when we say ‘theme’.

Phantasium posted:

that level where you sacrifice Yoshi.

You’re going to have to narrow that down. :unsmigghh:

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Sam Faust posted:

The first horizontal Banzai Bill in the trailer is moving right, which suggests the game is taking into consideration of vertical space when spawning in enemies which could suggest you can change the vertical height of levels in some way. Or it could just be nothing idk.

I think vertical levels were basically confirmed in a previous trailer, so this makes sense!

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I looked this up a while back, and it feels real weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLS458ekSEI

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Sam Faust posted:

I see that once upon a time you could set the timer to 999 instead of 500. I wonder why they changed that of all things? It rarely mattered but certain puzzle levels would have benefitted from a longer timer.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nintendo should do another World Championships to help promote the game. The 2015 one was really fun.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I was thinking about it, and if my theory about enemies spawns being affected by vertical distance is true, that's actually a fundamental mechanical difference between SMM1 and SMM2 which means levels from 1 aren't going to work exactly the same if recreated in 2. I know some of my old levels rely on this mechanic to function. At the very least, it rules out Nintendo letting you auto-upload your old levels, but it should still be possible for there to be an option to download old levels and manually re-upload them.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Nintendo announced a E3 direct on June 11th so don't be surprised if we don't hear about this game until then.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

A bit late to the party but I just picked up Mario Maker 1 and did anyone ever say "Super Luigi Maker", like, back when it would have been relevant?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

We're getting a Mario Maker 2 nintendo direct tomorrow.

https://gematsu.com/2019/05/super-mario-maker-2-direct-set-for-may-15

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That’s great news! Usually I’m not one to follow pre-release info but this game is a big exception where I want to know anything and everything about it. I’m also looking forward to the 5 hour GameXPlain afterwards.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

J-Spot posted:

I’m also looking forward to the 5 hour GameXPlain afterwards.

Ha ha ha, they've done a 40 minute prediction video. The direct is going to be 15 minutes long.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Current mood:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I hope they cover how course elements will get unlocked today. The first game had the dumbest system imaginable. Ideally I’d want everything there by default especially if you have MM1 levels on your profile.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
It'll be very unlikely but I hope you can pull in all your old levels from MM1. Was replaying the levels I made the other night and saw lots of ways I could improve them with the new features we're already aware of.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Sam Faust posted:

Mario Maker 1 had a wild transformation from "little tool that lets u make mario 1 levels" when it was first announced to "incredible sandbox that contains just about everything from every 2d mario" by the time it was released.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ohtsam posted:

It'll be very unlikely but I hope you can pull in all your old levels from MM1. Was replaying the levels I made the other night and saw lots of ways I could improve them with the new features we're already aware of.

If they don’t I’ll probably end up recreating some of my levels. It’ll be annoying sitting there with a Wii U game pad in my lap and Switch in my hands but I don’t think it would be too hard to recreate stuff.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hope there's some surprises like "you can put the koopa kids in levels now" or "luigi is in, and he controls different than mario which changes level dynamics"

was Yoshi in the first game? I can't remember

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

DLC Inc posted:

hope there's some surprises like "you can put the koopa kids in levels now" or "luigi is in, and he controls different than mario which changes level dynamics"

was Yoshi in the first game? I can't remember

Yoshi was in, but only for SMW and NSMB

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I wouldn't be surprised if Luigi was in since he's on the cover art

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I think Luigi is in but his physics may not be. If they are it would probably be something the level creator can toggle rather than something the player chooses.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
SMB2/USA or Yoshi's Island would be rad as hell.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Just let me play as Yoshi by himself. Yoshi's Island tileset would be rad but I'm a realist.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Want to make Mario kiss a human lady

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Overbite posted:

Want to make Mario kiss a human lady

This except replace "human lady" with "me".

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I hope all the 8-bit extra characters like the smash bros cast and stuff get in again. Even stuff like the real car they put in for an ad campaign.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pharohman777 posted:

I hope all the 8-bit extra characters like the smash bros cast and stuff get in again. Even stuff like the real car they put in for an ad campaign.

Mario Maker 2 will be absolute garbage trash if I cannot once again jump on Bowser with a Mercedes GLA.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Ladies and gentlemen, let's a go.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Scroll stop! Hadn't thought of it but that will be great.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

They definitely said "Once you unlock..."

:negative:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DalaranJ posted:

They definitely said "Once you unlock..."

:negative:

I think the best way to handle that is to gate all the unlocks behind completing Nintendo-designed courses that demonstrate the function/utility of the tools you'll be unlocking through play. The timed/block-based content unlocking was annoying, but I do think there's sense to a "tutorial".

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Pretty rude of Nintendo to release the game of the year this early in the year imo

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Holy poo poo

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I think the best way to handle that is to gate all the unlocks behind completing Nintendo-designed courses that demonstrate the function/utility of the tools you'll be unlocking through play.

Yes, this would be a much better way to do it.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

That was incredible this game is gonna fuckin rule

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
There was a ton to take in there but I think the thing that stood out the most to me is being able to set clear conditions for levels. If that's robust enough that's still not the same as overworlds but gives people reason to care about searching for secrets and powerups in your levels depending on the conditions.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
8 bit costumes are gone it seems as no mention of amiibos at all.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

You can transition gentle slopes right into steep slopes. GOTY

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

A lot of good stuff there. Night mode is going be amazing, and it looks like 3D World is going to be quite the departure. It's great to have vertical areas confirmed as well. Sadly, it doesn't look like any new power ups have been added. I really wanted the ice flower. Seeing as it's just a palette swap for Mario and the fire flower you'd think they could add it to every game style, but I'd settle for having it be NSMB only.

Seems like endless mode is replacing 100 Mario mode. Not sure how I feel about that. I liked having an end state. Easy and normal could truly be endless.

Did we see costumes at all? I didn't notice any. It's strange if they're not bringing them back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
My worry about clear conditions is that it will give people even more incentive to skip levels. I can't find the last big coin, skip