Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

As of today there’s also a second announced VtM video game, based on the studio’s prior work the speculation is that it’s going to be heavy on dialogue / social intrigue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

I Am Just a Box posted:

Disappointed, though not surprised, by keeping the same opaque splat names. Mummy needs to cut down on the Egyptian similarly to how Werewolf needs to cut down on usage of the First Tongue.

Not sure how an Arisen gets along as an internal affairs cop, in the example characters.

Mostly unremarkable. It's okay.

Idk, I liked all the Egyptian. I especially liked that it didn't default to the more familiar Greek names for things. Kemet rather than Egypt, Azar instead of Osiris, etc.

The internal affairs cop is a weird misapplication of metaphor. The Maa-Kep should be metaphorically internal affairs cops, always on the lookout for disobedience to the Judges. Making them actual internal affairs cops seems like it would be a pain for your cult to manage. You're this artisan from the extremely distant past that the cult can call up as an asset to do the judges' will and you don't fit that well into modern society, at least until you remember your past Descents.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Octavo posted:

Idk, I liked all the Egyptian. I especially liked that it didn't default to the more familiar Greek names for things. Kemet rather than Egypt, Azar instead of Osiris, etc.

The internal affairs cop is a weird misapplication of metaphor. The Maa-Kep should be metaphorically internal affairs cops, always on the lookout for disobedience to the Judges. Making them actual internal affairs cops seems like it would be a pain for your cult to manage. You're this artisan from the extremely distant past that the cult can call up as an asset to do the judges' will and you don't fit that well into modern society, at least until you remember your past Descents.

I'm not fond of it specifically because it's not Egypt. It's not Kemet, either. It's an ancient, fictional civilization that predates Egypt and I don't like Mummy basically ancient-aliens-ing Egypt, but with necromancers instead of aliens.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't mind the faux proto-Egyptian stuff, but 1e suffered the same exotic jargon overload that Woof does, so I hope they can pull back on that a bit.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Using "Azar" instead of "Osiris" is one thing.

Using "Mesen-Nebu" instead of "Alchemists" is quite another.

plaintiff
May 15, 2015

Running TT Mage 2E in a "LARPletop" style for my local buds in New Orleans. It's set in the whole Fallen World, but NOLA and its surrounding area is the "home base" Looking to expand my Mystery list. I can make hooks out of any and all of these concepts, but I've just been jotting down a list that's supposed to be anything and everything they might run into. All I need is a few words for a hook into a mystery that can develop into something full-blown. I've combed the thread for some inspiration, and thanks for that!

Here's what I have so far:

-The Interdimensional Torture Barge
-TempleOS
-The Beast/The Blood
-The Moon
-The Hedge
-Number Stations
-The Grasping One (rogue Phantasm luring victims to the Hollow it squats on to toss them into its mental dungeon)
-Baal-Haddad, Herd Guardian
-Harab Seraphel, Devourers of Burning Bodies
-Mx. Talleyrand the Unchained
-Morgellon's Syndrome
-Lucifuge
-Augusto Vidal (who lives in a Malleus Maleficarum compound in the former 9th ward)
-Flesh Interfaces (inspired initially by the Reddit thing yes)
-Kendrick Melançon, Wolf-blooded (our resident Forge Master's Retainer boyfriend w/ Second Skin)
-The Oahspe Kosmon Bible

If you guys have any two to six-word concept hooks for Mysteries, I'd be glad to see them! If you can help me better figure out what Arcana correspond to these, I'd also appreciate it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Music festivals as important rituals

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

do NOT jack off posted:

Running TT Mage 2E in a "LARPletop" style for my local buds in New Orleans. It's set in the whole Fallen World, but NOLA and its surrounding area is the "home base" Looking to expand my Mystery list. I can make hooks out of any and all of these concepts, but I've just been jotting down a list that's supposed to be anything and everything they might run into. All I need is a few words for a hook into a mystery that can develop into something full-blown. I've combed the thread for some inspiration, and thanks for that!

-TempleOS
-The Beast/The Blood
-The Moon
-The Hedge
-Number Stations
-The Grasping One (rogue Phantasm luring victims to the Hollow it squats on to toss them into its mental dungeon)
-Morgellon's Syndrome
-Lucifuge
-Augusto Vidal (who lives in a Malleus Maleficarum compound in the former 9th ward)
-Kendrick Melançon, Wolf-blooded (our resident Forge Master's Retainer boyfriend w/ Second Skin)
-The Oahspe Kosmon Bible

If you guys have any two to six-word concept hooks for Mysteries, I'd be glad to see them! If you can help me better figure out what Arcana correspond to these, I'd also appreciate it.
-The Mystery of the Donuts

Krispy Kreme is memetically powerful. Dunkin Donuts rules the East. In Houston a local chain stands over both of them.

What gives?

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

That Old Tree posted:

I don't mind the faux proto-Egyptian stuff, but 1e suffered the same exotic jargon overload that Woof does, so I hope they can pull back on that a bit.

This is what I meant. I don't mind the flavor of the proto-Egyptian stuff, I'm down with Azar and Esit and Anpu. But those are short proper names. I do not want to have to deal with the main names of a major splat being Maa-Kep or Shadow of Pillars, and having to remember what distinguishes them from the Mesen-Nebu who are Born of Gold. I don't like that 1e's X-splat requires you to keep track of whether the ren is falcon-headed or jackal-headed, and whether the ba was the essence or the spirit. The most central, frequently referenced concepts in Mummy are the ones with the most opaque, hard-to-remember names.

I don't even object to keeping the old names as secondary monikers. Sure, tell me that the architects were formally called the Tef-Aabhi. But put "architects" up front so I remember who they are. I should only need to know Tef-Aabhi for when I'm making an immersive and poetic reference to them, not when I'm looking up who gets which powers again.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

I Am Just a Box posted:

This is what I meant. I don't mind the flavor of the proto-Egyptian stuff, I'm down with Azar and Esit and Anpu. But those are short proper names. I do not want to have to deal with the main names of a major splat being Maa-Kep or Shadow of Pillars, and having to remember what distinguishes them from the Mesen-Nebu who are Born of Gold. I don't like that 1e's X-splat requires you to keep track of whether the ren is falcon-headed or jackal-headed, and whether the ba was the essence or the spirit. The most central, frequently referenced concepts in Mummy are the ones with the most opaque, hard-to-remember names.

I don't even object to keeping the old names as secondary monikers. Sure, tell me that the architects were formally called the Tef-Aabhi. But put "architects" up front so I remember who they are. I should only need to know Tef-Aabhi for when I'm making an immersive and poetic reference to them, not when I'm looking up who gets which powers again.

I guess some of this is just a personal aesthetic reaction on my part. I find the first tongue stuff in Werewolf hard to keep track of, but I like saying the various words in mummy. Shuankhsen and Neter-Khertet are just more fun to say than Hungry Mummy or Anubis' Twilight.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

Every splat has that one piece of media that encapsulates the aesthetic for new players. In Vampire you’ve got, idk, Blade 2. With Changeling you’ve got Hellraiser, Hunter gets Aliens or… Blade. With Demon, the batshit second half of the Tommyknockers, etc

Geist 1E was clearly the Crow but Geist 2E is probably Dickens’ A Christmas Carol. The ghosts of Christmas exemplify a Fury krewe at the top of their game

So what would you say Werewolf is? Fight Club? (Someone in the last thread said that is a really good model for Werewolf.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheNamedSavior posted:

So what would you say Werewolf is? Fight Club? (Someone in the last thread said that is a really good model for Werewolf.)

The Sopranos. Defending turf, rival families, second life you try to keep from your family, rage issues.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Stranger Things

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Omnicrom posted:

Anne Rice's vampire Jesus wept. Good lord that sounds like an utter clusterfuck.

What is the status of White Wolf now? Last I followed WoD was when Onyx Path shat out Beast which is its own kettle of fish, and I heard that Paradox eventually picked up the IP, but looking back I realize I've never 100% been sure the progression and differences between WW to OP. What does Paradox own of the World of Darkness IP? Is it just the oWoD stuff?

Paradox owns the entire World of Darkness IP, that includes both WoD and ChroD.
White Wolf is the brand management arm used to license that IP. They are wholly owned by Paradox now, and approve/veto plans and provide the bibles that the various writing has to be done in.
They currently are licensing to companies that pitch:
* Modiphius has what could be considered the 'primary license' for WoD tabletop, due to their distribution channels and ability to do full print runs. They're currently selling the V5 core, Cam and Anarch books (both in physical and PDF, as WW just lifted the mandate to not sell those books and has allowed the books to go back into print under Modiphius' control) and have 4 more books in development.
* Onyx Path Productions licenses both ChroD and WoD. They have 2 books in development for V5, and whatever they're developing for ChroD right now.
* Hardsuit Labs has licensed a video game to create Bloodlines 2.
* Big Bad Wolf has just licensed a Vampire 'narrative RPG' game that was just announced.
* A couple of other companies have licensed 2 different VtM boardgames

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MoonKnight posted:

Paradox owns the entire World of Darkness IP, that includes both WoD and ChroD.
White Wolf is the brand management arm used to license that IP. They are wholly owned by Paradox now, and approve/veto plans and provide the bibles that the various writing has to be done in.
They currently are licensing to companies that pitch:
* Modiphius has what could be considered the 'primary license' for WoD tabletop, due to their distribution channels and ability to do full print runs. They're currently selling the V5 core, Cam and Anarch books (both in physical and PDF, as WW just lifted the mandate to not sell those books and has allowed the books to go back into print under Modiphius' control) and have 4 more books in development.
* Onyx Path Productions licenses both ChroD and WoD. They have 2 books in development for V5, and whatever they're developing for ChroD right now.
* Hardsuit Labs has licensed a video game to create Bloodlines 2.
* Big Bad Wolf has just licensed a Vampire 'narrative RPG' game that was just announced.
* A couple of other companies have licensed 2 different VtM boardgames

Thank you, that clears up a lot.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Omnicrom posted:

Thank you, that clears up a lot.

You're welcome. I did forget to add:
* White Wolf was originally going to be writing only the core books in house to serve as 'bibles' for everything else, and license everything else. It looks like now they'll maintain the bibles separate from RPG books, and people can pitch for the various other core books.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Basic Chunnel posted:

Stranger Things

I don't see the connection.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

a bunch of dumb misfit idiots crossing into a shadow plane to battle monsters doesn't sound like nWoof to you?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Five Eyes posted:

Cyclical purge Gehenna is from early (like 1e) Masquerade, IIRC, except that I seem to recall it worked the other way around - the Antes wake up and eat all of their non-Methuselah descendants, then go back to sleep for another 2000 years.
Ironically, it sounds like Zeroisanumber's ST actually hit on a version which'd work better in the early setting; IIRC a lot of 1E Methuselahs were very into the whole manipulating-from-the-shadows almost-nobody-knows-I-exist sort of thing, so if those folk just kind of disappeared one day the amount of cleanup required would actually be quite modest: just Dominate any of the elders they were in contact with into either a) forgetting that they were taking orders from those Methuselahs or b) taking the disappearance of their bosses as a benefit to enjoy rather than a problem to be solved, and you're sorted.

(It occurs to me that this setup also makes the Camarilla vs. Sabbat feud even bleaker, since it means that the Sabbat is basically a scam run by elders to persuade younger vampires to do the legwork of killing the Antediluvians for them so the elders don't have to stick their neck out, whilst the Camarilla's denial that Gehenna is a thing means that it's most likely run by elders who either succumbed to the dominate last time around or are going along with it for their own reasons.)

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

IIRC:
Paradox wholly owns World of Darkness IP, sometimes licenses stuff out, is supposedly now licensing everything out to Onyx Path?
Paradox owns Chronicles of Darkness IP, licenses all production to Onyx Path, but has the final say.
Onyx Path wholly owns Scion and Aeon, having bought them from Paradox whole cloth.
As mentioned upthread, WoD stuff is licensed to multiple companies (different outfits are doing videogames, LARP, and tabletop RPG material), but the main tabletop RPG licensor is Modiphius, presumably because they stepped in to do the printing and distribution on the core V5 books.

That said, looking at the Monday Meeting Notes it looks like Onyx Path is working on a stack of V5 material, so it looks like Modiphius turned straight around and sublicenced OPP to get those books done. Whether that accounts for everything Modiphius intend to do or not is another question.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Every splat has that one piece of media that encapsulates the aesthetic for new players. In Vampire you’ve got, idk, Blade 2. With Changeling you’ve got Hellraiser, Hunter gets Aliens or… Blade. With Demon, the batshit second half of the Tommyknockers, etc
For Demon my go-to analogy is that it's the Matrix and you're a rogue Agent Smith.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

do NOT jack off posted:

-TempleOS
-The Beast/The Blood
-The Moon
-The Hedge
-Number Stations
-Morgellon's Syndrome
-Lucifuge
-The Oahspe Kosmon Bible

Abyssal money (Prime and Matter)

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

do NOT jack off posted:

-TempleOS
-The Beast/The Blood
-The Moon
-The Hedge
-Number Stations
-Morgellon's Syndrome
-Lucifuge
-The Oahspe Kosmon Bible

- Eater of Souls devouring marching bands.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Warthur posted:

For Demon my go-to analogy is that it's the Matrix and you're a rogue Agent Smith.

I use this one because it's a more common point of reference, but the best model for Demon is definitely Person of Interest.

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

For anyone who wants to get deep(er) into practical applications of vampchat, my Vampire: the Requiem chronicle is looking for a replacement player. Please peruse the game's thread to get a sense of what we're about and if you want to jump in.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017

Warthur posted:

The Camarilla's denial that Gehenna is a thing means that it's most likely run by elders who either succumbed to the dominate last time around or are going along with it for their own reasons...

I think the second was roughly the idea for the original notion. The "anarchs vs. elders/the Cam establishment" conflict was more central at first (predating the sect feud or really any details on the Sabbat), and having the Methuselahs keep the periodic purges a secret plays into it: they've created a hierarchical scheme where their progeny do the poo poo jobs today in the hopes of some secure role in the future, but the real elders know that future will never come, and that for most the "immortality" the Embrace provides has a definite shelf-life. To the eldest of elders, only they and their peers are "true" vampires - the rest of the Cam pyramid are just glorified disposable thralls, fated to be devoured by Granddad. Then, after Gehenna, they callously cultivate a new crop of pawns, tell them the same lies, and the cycle starts over. It'd be a pretty chilling take on the Methuselahs (and aesthetically pleasing, as they'd be treating vampires the way vampires treat ghouls.)

The prohibition on researching Gehenna (read: realizing the whole system is a scam and deciding to eat the vampire rich) survives into the rest of the game line, but the reasons behind it kind of don't - the Cam of, say, Revised ought to defuse the millennarian sentiment by ridiculing it, not outlawing it.

Five Eyes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 15, 2019

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kaynorr posted:

For anyone who wants to get deep(er) into practical applications of vampchat, my Vampire: the Requiem chronicle is looking for a replacement player. Please peruse the game's thread to get a sense of what we're about and if you want to jump in.

I tossed you a PM.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
My Hardcover Scion books have arrived. Idk what I'll do with them right now, but I have them which is important.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
If you want to sell them on, let me know.

(edit: Reason being, I was going to upgrade my PDF to the hardcovers, but forgot to before orders were locked)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 01:54 on May 16, 2019

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I got that box and I was all, "Wow, this Geist book is heavy!" Nope, it was Origins and Hero which is still cool af

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I really need to read up on the Teotl at some point.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

citybeatnik posted:

I really need to read up on the Teotl at some point.

Broke: The most bloodthirsty of gods.
Woke: The most Metal of gods.
Bespoke: The most heroic and selfless of all the gods.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I still love the game's interpretation of Bast as the put-upon troubleshooter with maybe a drinking problem.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So late last year, there was a Humble Bundle for a bunch of Vampire: The Masquerade books. I donated a couple of dollars to get some of the books, and along with it, I got a code for a 'bronze badge' for the WorldOfDarkness.com, which I think let you subscribe to read splatbooks or something on the website.

Since I don't play the tabletop game, does anyone want the code? If so, I can PM it to you.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

So late last year, there was a Humble Bundle for a bunch of Vampire: The Masquerade books. I donated a couple of dollars to get some of the books, and along with it, I got a code for a 'bronze badge' for the WorldOfDarkness.com, which I think let you subscribe to read splatbooks or something on the website.

Since I don't play the tabletop game, does anyone want the code? If so, I can PM it to you.

That website is already dead and gone.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rand Brittain posted:

Didn't they have some form of compensation available, though? I wouldn't be surprised if the window for that was long gone, but maybe not.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I'm aware of some of the system issues of Scion and just in case it doesn't work out for me, is there are PbtA hack that would possibly work with some of the setting and fluff of Scion?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm aware of some of the system issues of Scion and just in case it doesn't work out for me, is there are PbtA hack that would possibly work with some of the setting and fluff of Scion?

There's one in development called Demigods.

MoonKnight
Jul 14, 2018

Warthur posted:

That said, looking at the Monday Meeting Notes it looks like Onyx Path is working on a stack of V5 material, so it looks like Modiphius turned straight around and sublicenced OPP to get those books done. Whether that accounts for everything Modiphius intend to do or not is another question.

They have their own license, not working with/under Modiphius.

As far as 'stacks' of V5 material? The Chicago Folio/Dossier and Streets Run Red are all part of their Chicago by Night Kickstarter campaign, and Cults of the Blood Gods was announced.
So two books and some PDF materials to supplement one.
I wouldn't call that 'stacks' of V5 material in any stretch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Xelkelvos posted:

Can you summarize what the system issues are, because when it came up it seemed to be "this is self-evidently lovely" and I looked over at the game I'm in and it was like "hm, I am not sharing this qualitative experience."

The Legend points thing does seem like a substantial power hurdle but also like it was deliberately meant to make it so that going from legend 1 to legend 4 was a major upgrade even if they didn't hand you a ton of new powers along the way.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Rand Brittain posted:

Oh. Well, I'm sorry I didn't think to give it away before now. :smith: I forgot that I had it, and just remembered the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

That website was incredibly weird because somebody recreated, fixed, or found a bunch of Old World of Darkness PDFs that were previously only available as lovely scans and put them up for sale without telling anybody. Like, we're talking dozens of books that were only available on this one website that nobody knew about, which now no longer exists, and which haven't shown up on DriveThru yet. (Matt McElroy tells me that they basically sent him a giant heap of files when the website shut down and he hasn't had time to sort them all out into usable order yet.)

Like, they actually made an OEF version of the Revised corebook and didn't think it was worth mentioning it to anybody.