Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Volkerball posted:

Something like 2.5% of the workforce aged 16+ make minimum wage so nah, it's a rare few that don't move on to bigger and better things.

That's the percentage of people making the federal minimum wage or below. It doesn't count state minimum wages, which are often higher. This is why over half of federal minimum wage earners live in the South, where states tend not to raise their minimum wage laws. In Texas, for example, over 10% of workers are paid at or below the federal minimum wage.

No one appears to be collecting data on how many people make the state minimum wage in each state. But given the massive numbers seen in Southern states that don't set a minimum wage higher than the federal, it's safe to say the number is significantly higher than 2.3%.

And even then, half the people being paid at or below federal minimum wage are over the age of 25. Naturally, two-thirds of federal minimum-wage earners are women, and black and Hispanic populations are overrepresented in the minimum wage population as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Volkerball posted:

Something like 2.5% of the workforce aged 16+ make minimum wage so nah, it's a rare few that don't move on to bigger and better things.

Besides wampa's very obvious and relevant "What about people making a penny more?" that percentage is very misleading. That's just full-time employees paid an hourly wage making the federal minimum (or less due to exempted categories). 29 states and DC have a mandated wage above that NY and CA included. It's also worth noting the drop from 10%-ish of the workforce making the federal minimum to the current 2.5 between 2010 - 2017 also lines up roughly with the heavy shift to part time workers and contractors.
You're just flat out wrong if you believe poverty wages are for teens https://www.epi.org/publication/wage-workers-older-88-percent-workers-benefit/ this is slightly older data, but I've seen no reason to assume zoomers have taken over the economy since 2013.

edit: paineframe'd! :argh:

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 14, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I believe the core question the OP asked in this thread has largely been answered and while it's extremely funny that the OP is now whining in reports about the fact that people don't like him, I believe this has run its course.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Lightning Knight posted:

I believe the core question the OP asked in this thread has largely been answered and while it's extremely funny that the OP is now whining in reports about the fact that people don't like him, I believe this has run its course.

i respectfully disagree.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Post the reports LK.

e: lol of course there's a qcs thread

bloom fucked around with this message at 10:19 on May 15, 2019

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Main Paineframe posted:

That's the percentage of people making the federal minimum wage or below. It doesn't count state minimum wages, which are often higher. This is why over half of federal minimum wage earners live in the South, where states tend not to raise their minimum wage laws. In Texas, for example, over 10% of workers are paid at or below the federal minimum wage.

No one appears to be collecting data on how many people make the state minimum wage in each state. But given the massive numbers seen in Southern states that don't set a minimum wage higher than the federal, it's safe to say the number is significantly higher than 2.3%.

And even then, half the people being paid at or below federal minimum wage are over the age of 25. Naturally, two-thirds of federal minimum-wage earners are women, and black and Hispanic populations are overrepresented in the minimum wage population as well.

Fair enough, but this still doesn't say too much. Using your Texas figure, 5% of the workforce over the age of 25 works for minimum wage there, where the state and federal minimum wages are the same figure. I'd imagine there's an increase in the percentage of workers making minimum wage in states with higher state minimum wages, but I can't imagine it's significant enough to make that number "massive." The median household income is nearly $60,000, which would require 2 people making, in wage terms, over $14 an hour discounting overtime, or one person making a whole hell of a lot more than minimum wage. With that being the case in over half of American households, the situation isn't as godawful as some people here are trying to make it seem, although there's obviously a bunch of room for improvement on the income inequality and personal debt fronts. It's the bottom quarter of the income bracket that is getting pinched at the moment, not the bottom three quarters like it seems to be portrayed here by people acting like engaging in the US economy is for suckers. And a solid chunk of the people on the low end of the scale aren't doomed to be in that situation for the rest of their life. They've just hit a rough patch or haven't gotten their footing in their current/future career path. That's not the case for everyone certainly, and that needs to be addressed yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact that most of y'all don't have an excuse.

WampaLord posted:

You and wateroverfire are both Just_World_Fallacy.txt but I guess you win the no-prize for the sadder of the two because you were bought off for much cheaper than he was. So, congrats! :toot:

eta lmao missed the poo poo about "investments on top of that" on first glance, get the gently caress out of here

Grow up.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 15, 2019

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ooh, nice counter. Must have touched a nerve.

Here, let's make a deal, you give me some of your "investments" and I could probably afford to!

eta: Here's some education!

https://twitter.com/AFLCIO/status/1128270151252697089

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 15, 2019

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Fair enough, but this still doesn't say too much. Using your Texas figure, 5% of the workforce over the age of 25 works for minimum wage there, where the state and federal minimum wages are the same figure. I'd imagine there's an increase in the percentage of workers making minimum wage in states with higher state minimum wages, but I can't imagine it's significant enough to make that number "massive." The median household income is nearly $60,000, which would require 2 people making, in wage terms, over $14 an hour discounting overtime, or one person making a whole hell of a lot more than minimum wage. With that being the case in over half of American households, the situation isn't as godawful as some people here are trying to make it seem, although there's obviously a bunch of room for improvement on the income inequality and personal debt fronts. It's the bottom quarter of the income bracket that is getting pinched at the moment, not the bottom three quarters like it seems to be portrayed here by people acting like engaging in the US economy is for suckers. And a solid chunk of the people on the low end of the scale aren't doomed to be in that situation for the rest of their life. They've just hit a rough patch or haven't gotten their footing in their current/future career path. That's not the case for everyone certainly, and that needs to be addressed yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact that most of y'all don't have an excuse.

Grow up.

I don’t completely disagree with you, but I also want to point out that even if we tracked exactly how many people made federal and state minimum wage, that does not count people making ¢10 over minimum, which is common at a lot of “minimum wage” jobs. Or ¢20 or ¢30 or whatever.

But yeah a lot of people make quite a bit more. They struggle with rising rent and healthcare costs too, though.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

R. Guyovich posted:

i respectfully disagree.

I came back this morning to do this and you already beat me to it. :argh:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

R. Guyovich posted:

i respectfully disagree.

I like your moxy here but where do you see this thread in five years?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Lightning Knight posted:

I came back this morning to do this and you already beat me to it. :argh:

Hmm, so you're saying your supervisor consistently is in the office before you?
*checks something on annual performance review*

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

' posted:

wateroverfire tried to make an anti feminism thread lol never forget

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Hmm, so you're saying your supervisor consistently is in the office before you?
*checks something on annual performance review*

This is true both on the forums and in real life. :smith:

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Volkerball posted:

And a solid chunk of the people on the low end of the scale aren't doomed to be in that situation for the rest of their life. They've just hit a rough patch or haven't gotten their footing in their current/future career path. That's not the case for everyone certainly, and that needs to be addressed yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact that most of y'all don't have an excuse.

quote:

September went out hot in East Tennessee. Caleb didn’t mind; he parked his lawn chair in a shallow pool of shade, clipped a small fan to its arm, lit a cigarette, and settled back to wait. It would be more than 12 hours before the free medical clinic opened its doors. Caleb had read about the clinic online, and that it was best to get there early. Hundreds of people were expected to show up.

Caleb had driven up from Georgia to get a cracked tooth pulled. He’s a lean, hard-looking man with a scar running vertically down from his lower lip, the result of a getting bitten by a dog. His teeth are yellowed, many of them dark brown at the gum line. A few years ago, Caleb paid more than $2,000 to have three teeth extracted by a professional, a price that he considered ridiculous. He works odd jobs but wanted me to know that he isn’t poor: He earns enough to own his house and car. “But there’s nothing in the back pocket,” he explained. Since then he’s resorted to pulling teeth on his own, with a pair of hog-ring pliers that he modified for the job. One time he messed up and crushed an aching tooth, leaving a jagged stump embedded in his jaw; he went after that with a chisel and a hammer. He saved a neighbor $300 recently, he claimed, by pulling a tooth for him. “You know what that cost him? Two and a half shots of Wild Turkey 101.”

On the ground beside Caleb sat Michael Sumers, a fellow Georgian with a long neck and wide, darting eyes. Sumers, who never saw a dentist as a child, hoped to get his remaining 14 teeth pulled. He’s only 46 years old. His mouth has hurt him almost constantly for the last five years, but he hasn’t been able to afford any help. Sumers lives on his disability check, and after paying $700 a month in rent, he doesn’t have much left. “I can’t eat steak without my teeth breaking,” he admitted.

Chicken is what broke one of Jessica Taylor’s teeth. Another two were broken by her ex-husband’s fist, when he hit her in the mouth during a fight. I found Taylor sitting on the ground, her back to a tree, a pizza box beside her. “Now I’m here,” she said, explaining why she’d come to the clinic, “and he’s in hell.”

Wealthy Americans spend billions of dollars per year, collectively, to improve their smiles. Meanwhile, about a third of all people living in the United States struggle to pay for even basic dental care. The most common chronic illness in school-age children is tooth decay. Nearly a quarter of low-income children have decaying teeth, well above the national average; black and Hispanic children also experience higher rates of untreated decay. Neither Medicaid nor Medicare is required to cover dental procedures for adults, so coverage varies by state, and both the very poor and the elderly are often left to pay out of pocket. . . . Even middle-class Americans can’t always afford necessary care, as private insurance often will not cover expensive procedures.

Whole lot of Americans going through rough patches; hope they get their footing soon!

B B fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 15, 2019

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

You aren't paying enough. If you were paying what the work was worth people would show up.

lol no you can increase the hourly and plenty people would still not give a poo poo enough to cancel an interview when they can't make it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Volkerball posted:

And a solid chunk of the people on the low end of the scale aren't doomed to be in that situation for the rest of their life. They've just hit a rough patch or haven't gotten their footing in their current/future career path. That's not the case for everyone certainly, and that needs to be addressed yesterday, but that doesn't change the fact that most of y'all don't have an excuse.

Citation extremely loving needed here. People saying things like "a solid chunk" and "not the case for everyone" and "most of y'all[sic] don't have an excuse" is dogwhistle for "This is how I want poo poo to be, but I know it's not, but if I state it woolly enough I might get away with it".

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches
This thread is wild. As a job seeker it'd be super-loving-cool if companies supposedly hiring would show up to the interviews they have scheduled. I've had three no shows in the past 8 interviews. Being on time is apparently literally impossible for people doing hiring. In my experience 100% have been at least 5 minutes late, some times much more. Sure, I'll sit here for 30 more minutes while you do whatever. What? We don't have time for my questions now, oh well, they weren't important anyway.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MickeyFinn posted:

This thread is wild. As a job seeker it'd be super-loving-cool if companies supposedly hiring would show up to the interviews they have scheduled. I've had three no shows in the past 8 interviews. Being on time is apparently literally impossible for people doing hiring. In my experience 100% have been at least 5 minutes late, some times much more. Sure, I'll sit here for 30 more minutes while you do whatever. What? We don't have time for my questions now, oh well, they weren't important anyway.

theyre busy going over the numbers one last time to make certain Boss McJobCreator can still afford that 3rd house

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

The thing about ghosting interviews that a lot of employers don't understand is that it is very much in the employee's rational self-interest to be incorpreal. Passing on beyond this mortal coil (after initial immediate fixed costs like funerals and paying out your estate) drastically reduces your general expenses, and basically all income becomes discretionary. Beyond that, you're less subject to hiring pressures imposed by say, having to eat. While some economists think that the deceased make ideal low - wage workers, candidates who ghost interviews are actually in a much stronger position with regard to the hiring process than living workers. My advice? If you don't offer proper compensation, prepare to be haunted.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

[Ray Parker Jr. voice] I ain't hirin' no ghost

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

(Union)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Volkerball posted:

The median household income is nearly $60,000, which would require 2 people making, in wage terms, over $14 an hour discounting overtime, or one person making a whole hell of a lot more than minimum wage. With that being the case in over half of American households, the situation isn't as godawful as some people here are trying to make it seem, although there's obviously a bunch of room for improvement on the income inequality and personal debt fronts

In what universe is $14/hour anything other than just barely above the lowest end of the income scale? That's like a buck or two above what you'd make at an entry-level retail job around here. Like, yeah, it's fine if you're a dual income household where each person makes that much and you have no kids, but otherwise that's solidly in paycheck-to-paycheck territory anywhere the cost of living isn't exceptionally low. It's poverty wages in cities or high cost-of-living areas.

edit- household income is a massively deceptive stat and I wish we'd stop using it

double edit- Reminder that the Economic Policy Institute found that the lowest living wage in the country was in the neighborhood of $59,000/year. For most of the country, the median household income is literally below what they found to be a living wage. Roughly 40% of the country makes less than $15/hour, which means nearly half of the country is below a living wage with two combined incomes.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 15, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Not to mention that the vast majority of Americans don't even have $400 in the bank to cover an emergency bill.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Not to mention that the vast majority of Americans don't even have $400 in the bank to cover an emergency bill.

Well you see that's because they aren't smart with money. They should invest in property.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's possible people don't want to work for a rape apologist, OP.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

You aren't in a position to tell anyone this. You got caught talking out your rear end again and called out on it, which is how you always talk. Don't tell people to "grow up" when you're not a drat adult yourself.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

The cool thing about being a slob with a job that saves up money is that it takes a long loving time and all it takes is one or two big bills to dick you over.

Case in point. I want to go to community college. I could afford it. I could qualify for financial aid, but even without, it is doable.

But my car isn't reliable enough to get me back and fourth. It's dangerous for anything other than short hops, and putting a regular, forty mile commute on it would undoubtedly break more parts. I've been consciously avoiding a car note because I don't want to take on a contractual debt with the amount of financial security given to me by my job.

So I've been saving money. My bills are light, but, so's my paycheck. I put as much as I can into savings. I build up a healthy 4,000 in the bank account.

Whoops, turns out the roof on the family home is shot.

I cover it, because the only other option is a loan. Get it fixed. Get some money back from my family.

Whoops, the fuel sender in the your car died.

Whoops, you got sick ( I have insurance, the deductible is a 1.5k tho ).

Whoops, your company's RX plan denied your medication.

Whoops, your dog has to have three teeth out.

I could go into maximum austerity mode, and it wouldn't even save me any real money because my indulgences are cheap ones; I barely buy anything that isn't on sale. Fifty dollars is a splurge for me, and I rarely spend that much money.

So, realistically, how do I make more money? Get a better job? Guess what? Everyone in this rural cow-hell knows what the better jobs are ( and by "better" i mean "better paying". Twelve-hour shifts six days a week in a factory is grueling work ).

Get a second part-time job? My current one schedules me between 32-36 hours a week, keeping me a hair under full-time hours- just like a lot of people in my situation, my generation. And guess what? They don't want me working part-time for another retail store. It's a fire-able offense. The only industry in which I have significant experience is barred to me by my employer.

And even if I did get a second job, I'd be working a fifty, sixty hour week- because normal, full-time jobs are rare things. I can either have three-fourths of a job, or a job and a half with literally no free time.

But hey, I could save three hundred and fifty dollars a month if I canceled my health insurance!

The point of this isn't to appeal for pity. I've made a lot of bad life choices. People do that, because people gently caress up. The point is that even if you're in a favorable position, and even if you are trying? It takes time and luck, and every little accident life throws your way can spoil months of effort. The point is that a lot of people don't even have a car, or family to share bills with, or a college/vocational school they can even go to ( if they can afford it ).

The point is that if you truly say and believe things like

Volkerball posted:

most of y'all don't have an excuse

You're either ignorant, heartless, or you ain't ever had it as bad as you thought you did.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

These are big words coming from an E-1

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

You're either ignorant, heartless, or you ain't ever had it as bad as you thought you did.

In the case of some, it's all three.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Saving money hard
Agreed. America's ridiculous car culture is bad in general, and it's particularly bad for the poor.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
have you tried just advertising the high range of the salary of the position you want to fill OP? Why do people have to bother haggling with you in order for you to pay them what you'd be willing to pay them in the first place? I assume you're not a used car salesman, you don't have to act like one.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
The amount you make has little to do with personal effort, it's mostly a hilarious multifaceted lottery, from which country and family you were born in, to what your interests are, to what people you met, to what jobs you had before, to what the country's economy was like, etc etc

It's 2019 and people are still pushing the "pull yourself off your bootstraps" argument? I thought that would have been debunked by now. There's no meritocracy, only the terrible roulette of capitalism.

"Hey ma'am", he whispers into the ear of the overworked teacher travelling to 3 different schools a day for minimum wage, paying for her pupils' materials out of pocket, "have you considered learning Javascript?"

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Party Plane Jones posted:

These are big words coming from an E-1
Are you pulling rank?

I will have you know I am a LtCol equivalent.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CharlestonJew posted:

have you tried just advertising the high range of the salary of the position you want to fill OP? Why do people have to bother haggling with you in order for you to pay them what you'd be willing to pay them in the first place? I assume you're not a used car salesman, you don't have to act like one.

What, and treat job applicants like people?!

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

What, and treat job applicants like people?!
Gross

My favorite job ads are the ones with neither a salary nor a work location.

Because what it pays and where it is totally aren't the two things I want to know most.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Great Post Nerdy. People forget how much luck plays a part.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

wateroverfire posted:

Any of those things would be illegal here.

Other than having some industry metrics I really don't know what anyone's practical alternatives are when they interview with me. I make my offer if we get to that stage and if they like the fit then either they say yes, say no, or they bargain and we repeat. Some people have turned me down and that's ok? Some people over the years have left for other jobs and that's also ok? IDK what you want me to say but I think you're attributing more knowledge to employers than they reasonably have.

edit: Like, it's the same initial offer to everybody.

It is precisely because employers lack precise knowledge about the capabilities of a potential hire that they rely on simple heuristics such as age, nationality, race, gender and appearance to make such decisions. There's are numerous studies attesting to this.

Job market signalling, labour market disadvantage and activation, p.2 posted:

It is widely known that when hiring new employees, employers tend to consider “signals” i.e.
observable characteristics of candidates that are assumed to be reliable indicators of someone’s
qualities and particularly productivity. These signals may be varied, and may include nationality, race,
age, gender, labour market status, appearance, education, and many other observable features.
Considering them in a recruitment decisions allows employers to quickly reduce the number of
potential candidates and identify a small group that they consider most promising. The idea that
employers use signals when selecting candidates has been theorised by economists in the 1970s (see
Spence 1973; Akerlof 1970). Since then a large number of empirical studies, some of which are
reviewed below, have demonstrated the overall validity of the model.

Job market signalling, labour market disadvantage and activation, p. 6-7 posted:

The results of these studies indicate that employers indeed use ethnicity as a sorting criterion in the
recruitment process. Since the setting of these studies allows observing job relevant skills like
education and experience their results suggest that employers perceive ethnicity as a signal for
relevant but otherwise unobservable skills.

The above studies allow identifying ethnicity as sorting criteria in the recruitment process. However,
they cannot explain what ethnicity exactly means to employers. To investigate their meaning, it is
necessary to explore employers’ attitudes and perception of different groups in the labour market.
Neckerman and Kirschenman (1991:440) show in qualitative interviews with employers that they
perceive black applicants generally as lower-quality workers, lacking the work ethic, having a bad
attitude towards work and unreliable. Moss and Tilly (1996) show that employers’ emphasis on soft
skills in the recruiting process in the low-skilled segment of the labour market leads to a
disadvantage for black job applicants since employers see them as lacking precisely these skills. The
findings suggest that employers in the US see race as a signal for low motivation and a lack of soft
skills.

While the results of the above reviewed paired CV studies all reveal a racial bias in hiring decisions,
the results from qualitative interviews with employers show that things may be more complex and
that especially immigrant status is not only perceived as a signal for low-productivity but that the
evaluation of immigrants and blacks depends on the type of job. In the low-skilled segment of the
labour market working conditions are often harsh, wages low and the job is not associated with high
prestige. As a result, some employers will regard applicants who are nationals with suspicion, as they
usually avoid this type of jobs and may be considered to be hiding some negative feature (Bonoli and
Hinrichs 2012).

Waldinger (1997) shows that employers often perceive immigrants as more motivated and displaying
a better work ethic for low-skilled jobs than national blacks. In addition, many employers see
immigrant status as a signal for loyalty since immigrants generally stay longer in the job, whereas
nationals are more interested in higher positions and promotions. The same result was found by
Moss and Tilly (2001) who show that employers often hold negative attitudes towards black and
white job applicants but more positive ones towards Hispanic immigrants. If nationals apply for lowskilled jobs, employers may assume that they do so because of a lack of motivation and low
aspirations, whereas immigrants’ changes for high-status jobs are perceived as being low,
independently of their educational background and abilities. Thus, employers perceive immigrant
status as a signal for higher motivation, better social skills and work attitude. This interpretation of
employers’ explanation for their preferences of immigrants over nationals for low-skilled jobs has
been criticized by Zamudio and Lichter (2008). They suggest that the major issue for managers when
hiring new staff is the degree of control. What employers praised most about immigrants is their
greater compliance and the acceptance of any condition to work. It is thus not the higher motivation
of immigrants but their better tractability that explains employers’ preferences for them.

In addition to perceive immigrant status as a signal for higher motivation and better tractability in
low-skilled jobs, ethnicity and immigrant status may signal different things to different kind of
employers. Having the same cultural values and communication strategies is for example an
important aspect in the service industry. In areas with a large share of immigrants or a specific
ethnicity, employers may perceive immigrant status or ethnicity as a signal for better interaction
abilities with clients. Carlsson and Rooth (2007) found that the degree of labour market
discrimination depends also on company characteristics. Women are less likely to use ethnicity as a
sorting criterion than men and larger companies and those with high turnover are less likely to
discriminate based on the ethnicity of job applicants. The authors explain the latter findings with
larger companies having a more comprehensive recruitment process with less statistical
discrimination and the possibility to invite more candidates for the job interview.

While the intentionally bland and tepid academic prose understates the full implications of what is being described above the empirical literature speaks for itself here.

The results are similar for gender, with managers often particularly concerned to avoid footing the bill for the costs of having a pregnant employee.

Job market signalling, labour market disadvantage and activation, p.8 posted:

Bielby and Baron (1986) show that a majority of occupations are sex segregated and that even when
firms employ both sexes, men and women are assigned to different job titles. Women are often
excluded from physical demanding jobs but given exclusively access to routine and attention
requiring jobs. Research has shown that both male and female job applicants are subjected to
discrimination in the labour market. Levinson (1975), Nunes and Seligman (2000) and
Weichselbaumer (2003) all found evidence that discrimination against both sexes can be particularly
found in “stereotypical” occupations. Discrimination against male applicants in typical female
occupations was found to be much higher than against female in male occupations. Summarizing the
findings of previous conducted research on sex discrimination, Riach and Rich (2002) conclude that
women are often discriminated against in more senior, high status or high pay jobs. More recent
research supports these previous findings. Petit's (2007) results show a discrimination of young
female job applicants for high-skilled administrative jobs in France. No significant hiring
discrimination could be found in low-skilled jobs and for women aged 37 and above. Albert et al.
(2011) found that men are not only discriminated against in female dominated occupations but also
in integrated occupations. In contrast, Booth and Leigh (2010) found discrimination against male
applicants in occupations in which 80 percent or more are women but not for less female-dominated
occupations. It seems to be not gender alone that serves as a signal to employers but the
combination of gender and family characteristics like the marital status and children. Petersen and
Togstad (2006) analysed the recruitment process of a large bank in Sweden and found no
discrimination against women, if anything they found a female advantage when controlling for
education, age, and experience. However, when including family status the results reversed.
Whereas single women were preferred over single man, married or cohabitating men received offers
at a higher rate than married women. The same result could be found with respect to children.
Childless women were preferred over childless men but among applicants with one child, women
were less likely than men to get a job offer. For the Spanish labour market Albert et al. (2011) found
that employers penalise the fact of being married but the penalty seems to be higher for women
than for men. Employers may perceive young female married applicants as more likely to interrupt
their career for the reason of family planning.

Based on an experimental setting, where the status of an employer or an employee is randomly
assigned to participants, Larribeau et al. (2013) show that participants assigned to the employer
status rely on the sex of an employee to evaluate his suitability for a job. Independently of the
employers’ sex, women were significantly lower classified than men. These studies indicate that
employers indeed use gender as a sorting criterion in the hiring process. However, how employers
interpret the signal interferes with other characteristics of the jobseeker like age or family status and
is influenced by the society’s perception of appropriate roles for men and women
(Riach and Rich
2002).

wateroverfire posted:

Like...here's why this is a really hard problem. You don't need discriminatory hiring practices to generate discriminatory outcomes. Let's say a given position across many employers Could pay $7/hour on the low end up to $10/hour on the high end. Think something really ubiquitous like cashiering. If employers start out offering toward the low end and you have populations (women, minorities, other groups however defined) who have a lower wage threshold then those jobs are going to get filled at the low end of the salary range first (because people are saying yes) and with more likelyhood by people in those groups with a lower wage threshold. People who have a higher wage threshold (because they can afford to wait longer to take a job, or they have more opportunities, or whatever reason) can be more choosy and find the openings that can get filled toward the higher end of the range. No discriminatory actions on the part of the employers but... in aggregate those disadvantaged populations end up getting paid less.

As we've seen there's a lot of compelling evidence, both statistical and in terms of interviews with people responsible for hiring, suggesting that people do actively discriminate based on race, gender, nationality, age and appearance, among other things, when making hiring decisions. But even if we remove this intentional discrimination you are right, there would still be very strong 'neutral' reasons for these extremely sexist and racist hiring outcomes, which makes utter non-sense of this:

wateroverfire posted:

Again...that is some toxic attitude, IMO. Not just for an employer but for YOU. If you don't like an offer you can find a better one and tell the employer to gently caress off, or negotiate. People do both all the time, and people who are willing to do those things will make more than people who don't.

I don't know how you can pivot between contradictory arguments this quickly with so little shame but if you acknowledge that statistic discrimination is a huge and pernicious problem then it's really grosse that you fall back on this trite cliches about how "if you don't like your crappy wage maybe you should learn to negotiate better".

And as for your last comment here:

quote:

That is not to say that there aren't employers who will size someone up and lowball them because they think they can. That is a thing that absolutely does happen whether it's illegal or not. Just that it's not required to generate disparate outcomes and that's why systemic discrimination is such a hard thing to combat.

This quite the statement coming from somebody who I recall more or less arguing that Pinochet was forced to seize power and throw people out of helicopters because of the "excesses of the left" and who (half jokingly? totally sincerely? who knows) has stated that you wish there was more American imperialism in Latin America.

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Gross

My favorite job ads are the ones with neither a salary nor a work location.

Because what it pays and where it is totally aren't the two things I want to know most.

My favorite job ad ever was from the height of the recession. They wanted two years' experience and for the applicant to be bilingual to work part time in a warehouse for minimum wage.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Volkerball: "What I believe is a child's view of the USA. Literally, what a child thinks. GROW UP LOSERS!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Pochoclo posted:

The amount you make has little to do with personal effort, it's mostly a hilarious multifaceted lottery, from which country and family you were born in, to what your interests are, to what people you met, to what jobs you had before, to what the country's economy was like, etc etc

People really underestimate the role of luck in their own success and hate to admit that it was anything other than their own effort that got them wherever they were. But yes, a number of decisions ( many of them made as a child or by their parents! ) can completely alter or screw up someone's life.

As a for instance: if my family had access to health insurance, I might have been diagnosed with ADD and depression before teenage me Amtrak'd his academic and financial life. These illnesses, no exaggeration, ruined my life. They influenced every decision I made. I was hopelessly depressed and listless for over a decade, due to reasons outside my control, due to my family being unable to afford treatment.

It took a titanic amount of effort to leverage myself out of that hole, to realize I needed treatment, to seek it. And if I didn't have a job with insurance? It would have been impossible. My ADD diagnosis would have cost thousands of dollars. When I saw that bill, I poo poo. The neurologist would not have seen me ( without insurance ) unless I was able to pay seven hundred dollars, upfront, at the time of the first visit.

I was lucky to have the resources I had, the family I did, access insurance, healthcare, etc. Lucky.

Please, somebody please, tell me more about how I and other people don't deserve a living wage because we haven't met whatever arbitrary measure of having worked "hard enough" for it. Please, tell me please, what the pathway is for someone like me who never got health insurance, or was born somewhere the jobs ain't, where community college or Pell grants ain't?

Next time I see the sixty-six year old woman I work with who's raising her grandson 'cause her daughter is having addiction problems, who's never had health insurance in her life, I'll tell her that she deserves to slave for less than a living wage until she dies.

I'm sure she's just not trying hard enough.

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 15, 2019