Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it makes a lot of business sense to try to see if any older 90s properties can have a bit of second life to be redeveloped into a greater franchise, although the particular 90s shows they picked are a bit weird. Also I was under the impression Nickelodeon had really moved away from cartoons as a whole.

Some 60s IPs are still pumping out money even today, a slew of 80s IPs largely managed to transcend their generations to become heinously popular franchises. It's a little weird how much of the 90s just kinda faded away in comparison..

Part of it could be the difference in disposable income on part of the target audiences of 80's and 90's nostalgia. People who grew up in the 80's came of age during the 90's/00's boom times while people who grew up in the 90's were entering the workforce just before/during the recession and were disproportionately affected by it, which has resulted in them being poorer on average to this day and less likely to have kids they can introduce to the beloved franchises of their childhoods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think part of it may have to do with the type of shows that the 90s produced. When I think about the 80s franchises that have been revived or adapted into movies (especially live-action ones), I think of action series. Maybe action-comedy hybrids but never just straight comedies. The 90s were, to my memory of the time, very dominated by comedy. The biggest action shows in the 90s were anime imported from Japan, most of which have gotten rebooted in some way or another over there, but we don't have a Toonami (at least not an afternoon one) to push those reboots in the present over here. And I think time has taught us that live-action anime is either mediocre or a nightmare.

Although I guess there was a Power Ranger movie a few years ago.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The biggest IPs of the 90s aimed at children were video games. Pokemon is a 90s franchise.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
DC Super Hero Girls isn't half bad although I thought Wonder Woman was a teacher instead of a student.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think she was in the earlier superhero girls shorts but the new one aged her down

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

It’s not Donna Troy, is it? She was Wonder Girl.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

TwoPair posted:

I think part of it may have to do with the type of shows that the 90s produced. When I think about the 80s franchises that have been revived or adapted into movies (especially live-action ones), I think of action series. Maybe action-comedy hybrids but never just straight comedies. The 90s were, to my memory of the time, very dominated by comedy. The biggest action shows in the 90s were anime imported from Japan, most of which have gotten rebooted in some way or another over there, but we don't have a Toonami (at least not an afternoon one) to push those reboots in the present over here. And I think time has taught us that live-action anime is either mediocre or a nightmare.

Although I guess there was a Power Ranger movie a few years ago.

Also Alita was loving great, and I actually like the netflix Death Note movie

It can be done, it just needs respect for the source material, just like with American comic books

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It can be done, it just needs respect for the source material, just like with American comic books

Which is why I'm cautiously hopeful for the live action Gundam movie that Legendary is going to be doing

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

It’s not Donna Troy, is it? She was Wonder Girl.

Nope, it's Diana Prince.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The 90s was pretty much a new golden age for cartoons, but a lot of action shows had a season or two, maybe three, then went back in the vault forever, lucky if they even get enough reruns to leave an imprint. Gargoyles comes to mind.

That and a lot of big shows were adaptations, like Batman TAS which eventually grew out into the whole DCAU, and kinda plays by different rules. Nickelodeon did try to get some more life out of some of its shows, Rugrats in particular, frequently to their detriment. (see Fairy Odd Parents and Spongebob) On the other hand, Disney seems to be the biggest offender for stuffing franchises right in the aforementioned vault the moment they're over, even shows that ran longer than the creators expected like Kim Possible, but they neglect their TV animation in general. Though they have at least allowed more continuity-heavy shows like Gravity Falls and Star Vs to exist, and also to end on their own terms.

Probably the biggest long-term impact from the 90s has indeed been anime, and a lot of that is from anime not caring for the rules that 90s cartoons played by in a number of ways. Dragon Ball Z might count here even though technically it's much older, since it blew up in the same era. (also Sailor Moon similarly)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The live action Gintama movie is not only one of the best anime adaptations ever made, it's legitimately one of my favorite movies ever.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

They have some kind of policy on limiting the runs of their original TV shows that I'm not sure how it works. Kim Possible actually got one of the better deals, with two TV movies and getting extended for 4 seasons with a live action TV movie just recently. Phineas and Ferb probably got the best deal, with 200 episodes somehow fit into 4 seasons and a direct sequel series.

Other than that, yeah, everything disappears off the face of the earth after the show is finished. Kind of a shame, since they've put out some real high-quality stuff. I really loved Kick Buttowski, but I'm not sure it even saw air outside of Disney XD.

Of course, now the new Ducktales series is stuffed to the gills with references to Disney's late 80s-early 90s shows which had also fallen off the earth, so maybe there'll be a revival of some of their other shows as well. Maybe that upcoming Disney streaming service will give some more exposure to their older shows.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Thank you Mr. Ratburn for breaking down stereotypes and proving that not all gay men can dance :negative:

https://twitter.com/gatsplatt/status/1127936626594844672

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

They have some kind of policy on limiting the runs of their original TV shows that I'm not sure how it works. Kim Possible actually got one of the better deals, with two TV movies and getting extended for 4 seasons with a live action TV movie just recently. Phineas and Ferb probably got the best deal, with 200 episodes somehow fit into 4 seasons and a direct sequel series.

Other than that, yeah, everything disappears off the face of the earth after the show is finished. Kind of a shame, since they've put out some real high-quality stuff. I really loved Kick Buttowski, but I'm not sure it even saw air outside of Disney XD.

Of course, now the new Ducktales series is stuffed to the gills with references to Disney's late 80s-early 90s shows which had also fallen off the earth, so maybe there'll be a revival of some of their other shows as well. Maybe that upcoming Disney streaming service will give some more exposure to their older shows.

Disney used to have a 65 episode limit on their animated shows*, Kim Possible and Phineas & Ferb were both rare exceptions to this rule

*think it had to do with that rule that if a show lasts more than a certain amount of episodes or seasons everyone has to get a raise, which it turns out is probably one of the worst ideas in the history of animation as it leads to networks to be more willing to cancel shows, even ones that are doing well

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

DemoneeHo posted:

Thank you Mr. Ratburn for breaking down stereotypes and proving that not all gay men can dance :negative:

About drat time he got his!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

DemoneeHo posted:

That's a very well-drawn cake! I like the perspective, the shading on it, and the detail in the frosting.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Disney used to have a 65 episode limit on their animated shows*, Kim Possible and Phineas & Ferb were both rare exceptions to this rule

*think it had to do with that rule that if a show lasts more than a certain amount of episodes or seasons everyone has to get a raise, which it turns out is probably one of the worst ideas in the history of animation as it leads to networks to be more willing to cancel shows, even ones that are doing well

https://tedium.co/2018/07/24/tv-programming-quirks-history/

It's based on syndication and residuals from reairings. More eps means more money paid out in residuals since it's based on full reairings of the series.

quote:

Here’s what happened: In the late 1980s, the Writer’s Guild of America negotiated basic cable residuals for the show that ensuring a certain level of payment based on re-airings—50 percent for the second through fifth re-airings, 6 percent for the sixth airings, 4 percent for the seventh and eighth airings, and so on, until the 13th re-airing, at which point the percentage stays at 1.5 percent.

This standard may have change it does vary based on contract, but the key point is that for any given amount of money, a set cut of it will go to the actors, writers, etc. on top of their base pay and remainders go to the parent company as profit. The lower the cut to actors and such, the bigger the cut for the network.

For Disney in particular during the late 90s and early 00s:

quote:

As it turns out, this was less unspoken rule and more calculated business strategy. A 2003 Fortune piece explained that longtime Disney Channel president Anne Sweeney implemented the rule in the midst of the network’s late-’90s shift to original live-action content as a way to keep down costs and keep its audience in check.

As anyone who has watched Shia LaBeouf’s career can tell you, Disney Channel stars age out of the demographic pretty quickly, and the tendency for the network to develop new stars meant that, if series were kept on too long, they would get too expensive to air.

“Sweeney’s strategy, therefore, is to shoot no more than 65 episodes of any show, and to shoot them fast, before key actors outgrow their roles,” the article explains. “Once the shows are in the can, Disney can air them at a leisurely pace. More important, it can rerun the hits for years, picking up new generations of ’tween-aged viewers and limiting the amount it pays the stars (who receive standard residuals).”

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1128685220692017152?s=19

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

How common is it for a show to get renewed for a second season before it even debuts (or has it already debuted and I didn't notice it)?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Disney likes doing that. I know they did it to Ducktales and Tangled. (Both are good, though, so it's a good sign for Amphibia.)

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Macrame_God posted:

How common is it for a show to get renewed for a second season before it even debuts (or has it already debuted and I didn't notice it)?

Animation demands a long lead-in time, so networks will often order a second season before they get public feedback.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

meanwhile Netflix lately has tended to wait at least a month before deciding on renewals for their shows... at least, announcing renewals publicly anyway

which means sweating it out for a couple of weeks to find out the fate of tuca & bertie

I kind of get it because that month lets them see what the immediate viewership numbers are, but it also means potential cancellation for a lack of immediate success... and i don't know if i can handle living in a world where tuca & bertie has fewer episodes than Turbo Fast, the animated spinoff of the dreamworks movie Turbo, the movie about a racecar snail

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

meanwhile Netflix lately has tended to wait at least a month before deciding on renewals for their shows... at least, announcing renewals publicly anyway

which means sweating it out for a couple of weeks to find out the fate of tuca & bertie

I kind of get it because that month lets them see what the immediate viewership numbers are, but it also means potential cancellation for a lack of immediate success... and i don't know if i can handle living in a world where tuca & bertie has fewer episodes than Turbo Fast, the animated spinoff of the dreamworks movie Turbo, the movie about a racecar snail

Apparently Turbo Fast was actually kinda decent, especially when compared to it's source material

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
And we got a release date:

https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1128809487765200896?s=19

Looking forward to it!

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
There's something...off-putting about mighty magicswords art/animation.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaunab posted:

There's something...off-putting about mighty magicswords art/animation.

The show also moves a million miles a minute. It's extremely off-putting... but my daughter went through a few days where it's all she wanted to watch, so I sat through about 15 epsiodes of it. It's decent, but nothing special.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
https://twitter.com/Radrappy/status/1129497440145403904

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Huh, there's an alternate vocal theme song too, but I guess they went with the instrumental one?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

JazzFlight posted:

Huh, there's an alternate vocal theme song too, but I guess they went with the instrumental one?

Might be used for the ending credits.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

JazzFlight posted:

I think it was created mostly for promotional purposes. I'm so glad it's not what they used because it just wasn't very good and lyrics were a particular sore spot.

Happy to see Amphibia is getting some traction and visibility on social media and elsewhere. I was a little concerned but now it seems the show is definitely better positioned than something like Big City Greens was about a month out from the premiere. Knowing that we're at least getting two seasons out of this is a good thing too since it means even if the show doesn't take off immediately its fate isn't in complete jeopardy.

Now if only CN and Nick marketing execs pulled their heads out of their asses and started doing some promo work for their upcoming 2019 slate. I swear I haven't seen any news on Infinity Train since the little sneak peek at SDCC last year and I think like ten people total know that Glitch Techs exists and is supposed to come out at some point this year. Hell, the biggest news for the latter so far is probably that they halted production on the second season and fired everyone, supposedly waiting to see how the first season does when it airs before committing to doing more. That's not a very marketable fact.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 18, 2019

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Today marked the one year announcement of Thundercats Roar, and it still just has a vague 2019 release date with only the announcement footage being the only public footage released. Has the show been silently canceled?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BattleTech posted:

Today marked the one year announcement of Thundercats Roar, and it still just has a vague 2019 release date with only the announcement footage being the only public footage released. Has the show been silently canceled?

Development hell for now at least. I'd wait until Fall though unless there's signs of animators/boarders from that series working on anohter one

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Apparently Star vs The Forces of Evil really poo poo the bed with it's finale

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Star vs was interesting to watch from the outside. Mewberty was the first hit of popularity the show got, then slowly grew until season 2 when it exploded in popularity by a lot. It especially got popular over in lgbt tumblr specifically around a certain headcannon/theory that Marco was supposed to be read as a trans girl fueled by the whole Princess Marco thing being handled really respectfully.

And then I kinda lost track of watching the show like I do with everything, but still kept up reading other people watching it. And EVERYONE turned on it season 3. Everyone started to be less happy with the show as the season started up. Then SOMETHING happened with the Princess Marco plot that pissed everyone one off and then like threeish episodes latter none of the people I saw really excited about the show the last two season every talk about the show again. It was basically just dead to a whole bunch of it's fans and no one but 4chan really talked about it. And whenever they actually talked about the show outside of whatever creepy horny circle jerk they usually do it was nothing but constant complaints.

And now everyone is Big Mad about the ending.

Never make a show longer then two seasons. Three seasons and beyond is a curse.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Star vs was interesting to watch from the outside. Mewberty was the first hit of popularity the show got, then slowly grew until season 2 when it exploded in popularity by a lot. It especially got popular over in lgbt tumblr specifically around a certain headcannon/theory that Marco was supposed to be read as a trans girl fueled by the whole Princess Marco thing being handled really respectfully.

And then I kinda lost track of watching the show like I do with everything, but still kept up reading other people watching it. And EVERYONE turned on it season 3. Everyone started to be less happy with the show as the season started up. Then SOMETHING happened with the Princess Marco plot that pissed everyone one off and then like threeish episodes latter none of the people I saw really excited about the show the last two season every talk about the show again. It was basically just dead to a whole bunch of it's fans and no one but 4chan really talked about it. And whenever they actually talked about the show outside of whatever creepy horny circle jerk they usually do it was nothing but constant complaints.

And now everyone is Big Mad about the ending.

Never make a show longer then two seasons. Three seasons and beyond is a curse.

So basically people made up a scenario in their head and were mad things didn't turn out EXACTLY as they fantasized and got super pissed?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What happened to get everyone mad?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

So basically people made up a scenario in their head and were mad things didn't turn out EXACTLY as they fantasized and got super pissed?

That is part of it, although apparently the finale is pretty drat mediocre even when examined outside of fan expectations, not to mention Season 4 overall has apparently been pretty aggressively mediocre overall

Basically similar to the reason a lot of people turned on Gravity Falls due to the second half it's 2nd season and it's finale, or towards Adventure Time and it's slow decline towards mediocrity after it's 3rd season

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The last episode felt rushed, but I wouldn't call it "aggressively mediocre." More like they didn't have quite enough time to do everything they wanted to do. It was still a very heartfelt ending and now I want to see a new series about what the hell will happen next after the way they ended things.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

A season 3 episode made it clear that Marco is perfectly fine with presenting as a woman but solidly identifies as a man.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
:shrug: I thought it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrungka
Jan 27, 2015

readingatwork posted:

I agree but I don’t think we’re *that* far off. Trans rights is another issue where the Kids These Days already know what’s up. It’s just a matter of enough boomers dying/trans characters becoming visibly profitable enough to get the right exec to take the risk. My guess would be by 2025 though I’m not going to toxx on that one.
One of five gen:LOCK's main characters in openly genderfluid. She (at that moment) explicitly states she went through transition several times. In that sci-fi setting, seems like sex reassignment is "solved" problem.
Does this count?

On top, David Tennant provides voices for one the most humane character I've seen in a while. Seriously. go watch the show: https://www.crunchyroll.com/genlock.