Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I don’t see how locking the wheels can end well.

Let’s do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Getting up was no issue, so getting down should be even easier. Continue down the hill.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I don't know what locking the wheels means, but let's do it!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Continue down the hill and use the speed gained from barreling downhill to make up time

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Install an extra wagon axle now to absorb the damage that continuing down the hill will cause.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

RBA Starblade posted:

Powerslide our way down

If it makes me laugh, let's do it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Commander Keene posted:

Let's see what locking the wheels gets us.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

oldskool posted:

Continue down the hill and use the speed gained from barreling downhill to make up time

Do this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Locking the wheels! Steady as she goes...

gently caress!

Continuing down the hill as normal without locking the wheels gets us going fine. We make it to Ash Hollow, which has been the site of human habitation for millennia thanks to a nearby spring and cave for shelter. This area is predominately populated by Lakota Sioux as of 1850.

Suddenly, one of our oxen steps in a rut and gets injured! What do we do with it?

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Continue on

No oxen left behind. Unless they die. In which case we eat them, thereby carrying them on with us in nutrient form. :btroll:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

oldskool posted:

Continue on

No oxen left behind. Unless they die. In which case we eat them, thereby carrying them on with us in nutrient form. :btroll:

:hai:

I agree in full.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Rest awhile. In the absence of a “convert to meat” option, my animal-loving heart can’t just abandon them.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Someone needs to code a spinoff where you're a scavenger living on the stuff that falls off passing wagons.

Thousands of suckers bumbling west to die of frostbite and dysentery. Meanwhile in your camp 10 mi west of Independence, MO, you're sleeping warm on a dragon's hoard of gently used bacon, laudanum and grandfather clocks.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It was me. I ate the 10 kilos of bacon. And the cheese. And the beans...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mechanical Ape posted:

Someone needs to code a spinoff where you're a scavenger living on the stuff that falls off passing wagons.

Thousands of suckers bumbling west to die of frostbite and dysentery. Meanwhile in your camp 10 mi west of Independence, MO, you're sleeping warm on a dragon's hoard of gently used bacon, laudanum and grandfather clocks.
I strongly approve. Sleeping inside the clocks, rising at dusk to feast.

Setting up nets downstream from the ford points seems like it would be a good idea.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Father and his girl, both are heading west. Tie the boy and the horses, then use the skills of the wolf. Don't use bullets, get close enough you can use your knife.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Rest a while. I'm not biased at all.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

TheMcD posted:

Rest a while. I'm not biased at all.

How’s that peppermint treating you?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I'm still curious, how would locking the wheels help you descend a slope? Unless you're hoping that friction alone will let your wagon more gently skate down the slope, I can't understand what the advantage would be compared to a more controlled descent by somehow controlling the speed by using those famous ropes/chains/anchors.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Covski posted:

I'm still curious, how would locking the wheels help you descend a slope? Unless you're hoping that friction alone will let your wagon more gently skate down the slope, I can't understand what the advantage would be compared to a more controlled descent by somehow controlling the speed by using those famous ropes/chains/anchors.

Maybe it works better in winter?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Covski posted:

I believe you’re exactly right. You lock the wheels and gently ease the wagon down so it doesn’t roll out of control.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Maybe it works better in winter?
crashing down the hill
in a four-ox open cart
through the fords we go
crying all the way

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Would prevent the wagon from racing down the hill out of control since you effectively need to drag it down.

With the downside being that with the wheels no longer able to turn they instead become pivot points, so if you had the cargo shift around and too much friction on the wheels you could just flip it over with a poorly timed yank. It would also be nearly impossible to turn if you had to zig zag down.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I'm still confused why anchoring the wagon, using ropes/chains, and locking the wheels are mutually exclusive options here, but maybe I'm not up on my mid 1800's wagon terminology! It seems to me like a combination of all three options would be the smart course of action here.

Edit: I guess depending on the definition of "anchor" here, because that's a kind of vague word.

Covski fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 15, 2019

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I'm not familiar with this particular hill but if you had nothing to anchor the ropes to then it wouldn't be much help; it may not always be an option.

Plus if your group had no idea how to build a pulley, or how they work, it wouldn't be an option.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 15, 2019

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also the chains were what locked the wheels when you did, so you might only have enough chains for one of two options. The wheels had no brakes built in.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

With a tie, I chose the fastest option and continued on. It doesn't seem like our ox is affected...yet.

Over the next few days we pass by Courthouse, Jail, and Chimney Rocks. Chimney Rock was referred to by Lakota Sioux as "the elk penis."

More bluffs to cross over.

There's a trading post! Do we need anything? We're about 1/3 of the way down the trail in a month and a half.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
If they have it, buy Coffee, Bacon, Laudanum, and Grandfather Clocks.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
We need coffee and laudanum, obviously. More specifically, what are our supplies like right now? We lost some stuff and it's been six weeks.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Purchase at least one of anything we don’t already own from what’s for sale.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Vavrek posted:

We need coffee and laudanum, obviously. More specifically, what are our supplies like right now? We lost some stuff and it's been six weeks.

I second this, we need an inventory check. Then you need to dump everything except for a rifle, bullets, and gunpowder (and grandfather clocks), we can totally live off the land from here.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, we need a sitrep before we choose what to buy. Replacing food stores lost when the wagon tipped is probably a good idea, though.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Food, drugs, time. We got money, let's spend it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Our current inventory:

quote:

Money: $761.87
Weight: 2944 lbs

Animals
6 oxen

Clothing
14 sets of clothing
4 pairs of shoes
11 pairs of socks

Firearms/ammunition
3 boxes of 20 bullets
1 25-lb. keg of gunpowder
1 rifle

Food
387 pounds of bacon
22 pounds of cheese
18 pounds of coffee beans
8 10-lb. sacks of cornmeal
3 5-lb. tins of crackers
18 10-lb. sacks of dried beans
8 5-lb. tins of dried bread
13 5-lb. sacks of dried fruit
12 5-lb. sacks of dried vegetables
15 10-lb. sacks of flour
3 5-lb. slabs of lard
105 pounds of pemmican
1 25-lb. keg of pickles
10 5-lb. tins of preserved potatoes
8 20-lb. sacks of rice
3 pounds of tea
1 5-lb. box of yeast cake

Furniture
1 grandfather clock

Medicines
1 8-oz. bottle of alum
1 4-oz. bottle of iodine
1 4-oz. bottle of peppermint
1 6-oz. bottle of sulfure

Miscellany
4 boxes of matches
10 10-bar boxes of soap
1 spare ox yoke

Spices
8 10-lb. bags of sugar

Tools/utensils
1 coffee mill
1 coffee pot
1 30-foot length of rope
1 set of cooking utensils
1 skillet
4 tin cups
5 tin plates

Wagons/parts
1 spare wagon axle
1 spare wagon tongue
1 spare wagon wheel
1 large farm wagon

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I'm seeing a disturbing lack of laudanum and extra clocks

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

We need to buy:
All their laudanum
113 pounds of bacon
78 pounds of cheese
2 boxes of 20 bullets
1 grandfather clock

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

One thing I've always wondered about this journey, what happens when you reach the destination? Do you need money to buy some land? Do they have to build a house from scratch? How do they not starve/freeze to death in winter?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

More oxen, more boxes of bullets, more laudanum. And another clock.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Poil posted:

One thing I've always wondered about this journey, what happens when you reach the destination? Do you need money to buy some land? Do they have to build a house from scratch? How do they not starve/freeze to death in winter?

A bit of both, from what I understand. There were big companies and brokers who sold or leased parcels of land to people before they went, and others who went out there to grab land to sell or lease to new arrivals. In some areas there were farms already sort-of established with some sort of rudimentary housing, in others you had to build everything when/if you made it there. If you were early enough to get good land, and brought good supplies with you, and travelled at the right time, you could be established and have some sort of crop before winter. Otherwise you and your family died and someone else got to buy your land and try their luck, sucks to be you.

Also depended on why you were going out there - some wanted their own places, some wanted to work for others, some believed they'd strike gold as soon as they arrived.

I could be wrong, I've only read partially fictionalised accounts/historical novels, but that's the impression I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

IllegallySober posted:

More oxen, more boxes of bullets, more laudanum. And another clock.

Also I'm the 1/2 pound of gunpowder per bullet.