Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

In 1995, the sequel to the original The Oregon Trail was released. The Oregon Trail II added features, photographs instead of primitive pixel graphics, and the best soundtrack an edutainment company in the 90s could offer. While it lacked the memetic popularity and classroom prevalence of the original, the sequel was enough of a hit that they just kept remaking it!

What we have here is The Oregon Trail 5th Edition, which is simply an updated re-release from 2001. This added a few features, removed a few, improved the interface graphics, and continuously interrupted your journey to show the terrifyingly animated adventures of the Montgomery children and their black guide on the way to join their father in Oregon. This game was a staple of my middle school years to the point where the music loop still runs continuously in my head at all hours of the day. Ceaselessly. Forever.

Most Oregon Trail LPs have been narrative, especially after the phenomenal creation by Chewbot over a decade ago (also that was over a decade ago holy poo poo). But I've become fond of taking my time on the forum to educate myself and others, such as with my ongoing Let's Read of the original James Bond books. I think we can turn our adventure into a learning experience!

We'll be playing this in the typical way for an Oregon Trail LP with goon votes and suggestions, as well as the first 6 goons becoming our family. But to fill in the gaps between posts that may only be a few in-game days apart, we'll be learning all about life on the Oregon Trail. I'll be making posts covering topics like food and drink on the trail, wagons and draft animals, guns, relations with Native Americans, and more. Every place we visit will get a blurb describing its history and fun facts about it. This is also an open forum for historical information that you know of and discussion on it! This is all in the spirit of fun and learning. And, you know, typical poo poo like memes and mocking the awful voice acting and animation.

The Oregon Trail often features repeat problems and decisions. To streamline things, I won't make a repeat vote for any identical situation if you've already come up with a working plan before. For instance, if someone suffers a broken bone and you chose the correct option to heal it from a vote, I won't make you vote again on how to deal with another broken bone and will just deal with it myself. The only exception will be if something changes, such as if we're lacking a resource we once had (like medicine or spare wagon parts) and have to try and pick the next best option. If we end up forced to trade because of a lack of food or vital parts, I'll likely make the decision myself because of the sheer number of random possibilities.

And just for fun, you guys get to help with foraging and wound healing....without a guide. Normally when foraging for fresh fruits and vegetables you can look them up to immediately be told what they are and whether or not they're poisonous. But where's the fun in that? Instead, you guys get to pick what's edible and what's not purely from the pictures! You'll be told the identity of the item after it's been picked and added to our food stores, so unless you're familiar with the appearance of these plants you might not know that you picked something poisonous until you eat it yourself!

I have no idea how long this journey will last, and it might be viable to keep going for multiple runs depending on interest. There's a ton of variation based on the time, destination, and occupation you pick. Hopefully this lovely ISO doesn't break!

To start things off, we need to pick a year and month to begin. We can journey any year from 1840 until 1860 and set off in any month. The year we pick determines not only what towns and forts exist as we travel, but also our possible starting points and destinations; in general, the later the year the easier the game. May (followed by April) is the most common month for leaving, as it has the lowest chance of running into massive snowstorms in the west and makes sure that sufficient grass is available for your draft animals on the way. But you guys get to pick the difficulty because what's the fun in just setting off on the easiest setting?

Once we know when we're leaving, it's time to pick our character and hit the trail!

Historical Interludes

The Oregon Trail and Prairie Schooners

Life on the Trail

Food on the Trail

The Donner Party

19th Century Medicine

Native American Relations

Firearms on the Trail

The California Gold Rush

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

We should be '49ers, starting out in April of 1849, headed to Oregon to pan for gold in the Rocky Mountain foothills.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Let's set out in April of 1850 because it's more amusing to me if we're late to the Gold Rush.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

1850, really nifty. December seems like the best, to get that christmas convoy rolling. Also fording should be easier if all the rivers are frozen.

I hope you'll cover the importance settlers placed on bringing multiple grandfather clocks. :v:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

CirclMastr posted:

Let's set out in April of 1850 because it's more amusing to me if we're late to the Gold Rush.

I agree with CirclMastr. I want to be late and have to actually make a business instead of playing the rocks lottery.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Commander Keene posted:

We should be '49ers, starting out in April of 1849, headed to Oregon to pan for gold in the Rocky Mountain foothills.

I also vote for this.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If we start in the winter we won't have any foraging for fruit, will we?

What's the season for the most pants-shittingly terrible plants and the farthest route from all the gold?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Commander Keene posted:

Being a 49'er sounds really cool, let's do this!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Oregon Trail

Before you set off on the trail, the most basic question that should be answered is "What the hell is the Oregon Trail?"

The roots of the trail begin with the Lewis & Clark expedition. In 1803, President Thomas Jefferson commissioned Meriweather Lewis and William Clark to undertake the journey of a lifetime: traveling all the way across North America and back. For over two years, several dozen people traveled to the Pacific Coast and back. Remarkably, only one person died of appendicitis on the entire trip (though Lewis was accidentally shot close to the end of their return trip). Mountain men quickly began taking advantage of the trail blazed by the expedition to travel out west, often to set up fur trapping companies in the unspoiled land.

By the 1820s early settlers had begun trickling into Oregon Country, mostly missionaries and fur trappers or former trappers, but it really ramped up by 1840 as word spread of the massive bounty of land, forests, game, and ocean access in the Pacific Northwest. Treaties signed with Britain established American ownership of a large parcel of land, renamed Oregon Territory in 1848. The gold rush that year made westward migration absolutely insane and further contributed to the Oregon economy building as trade was established with the suddenly wealthy California. Eventually a 2170-mile trail from Independence, MO to Oregon City, OR was mapped and became one of the biggest routes to the west.

Over the course of its famous history from the 1830s through the 1860s, over 400,000 people traveled west via the Oregon Trail. It started to decline in 1855 when the Panama Railroad was completed, providing another link between the Pacific Northwest and the east coast by bridging the Atlantic and Pacific sides of the isthmus. While the trail was still heavily used, the Transcontinental Railroad in 1869 finally provided a better way. Some migrants continued using the trail into the 1890s and many vehicular roads and highways were built roughly along its length, but by the turn of the 20th century the days of wagon trains were over. Despite this, many modern tourists "travel the Oregon Trail" by driving along its length, stopping in the numerous museums and towns along the way. There are even regular reenactments as people travel portions of the trail with wagons and oxen.

The Prairie Schooner

The covered wagon (nicknamed the "Prairie Schooner" after its sail-like white covering) is possibly the single most iconic image of the Oregon Trail that isn't being told that you died of dysentery. They have their roots in the massive Conestoga wagons in use since colonial times, which carried a massive amount of cargo and had a white canvas covering stretched over the top to protect the goods inside from the weather. The average wagon was a beast of 18 feet long, 11 feet tall, and 4 feet wide.

Because of the practicality of the Conestoga design, many migrants setting out on the trail made similar wagons by simply adding iron bows to whatever wagon they could get their hands on and stretching a covering over it. Many of the wagons were made by Studebaker, which would become the famous car company of the first half of the 20th century. Despite some depictions, most pioneers simply used the wagons for goods and walked the trail; even if there was a sufficient weight allowance for the animals to pull, the ride was painfully rough and dusty. The only people who would ride in the wagon were usually very young, very old, very sick/injured, or very pregnant.

The most common draft animal was the ox. Oxen were plentiful (i.e. cheap), strong, decently tempered, and provided a lot of meat if you had to slaughter one or two to survive. Mules were sometimes used as they were similarly durable (especially in the heat) and could survive on grazing, but are notoriously assholes and cost as much as 3 times that of an ox. Horses were rarely used because of their expense, "thought of ants and died" disposition, and inability to be used without expensive equipment and feed.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Poil posted:

1850, really nifty. December seems like the best, to get that christmas convoy rolling. Also fording should be easier if all the rivers are frozen.

I hope you'll cover the importance settlers placed on bringing multiple grandfather clocks. :v:
Sure, I'll second this. Seeing this in something other than 256-color graphics on an Apple II is going to be a trip. Somehow my edutainment experience largely skipped over this and instead dealt with Amazon Trail and African Trail, which were less about punishing realism and more about exploration.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

NGDBSS posted:

Sure, I'll second this. Seeing this in something other than 256-color graphics on an Apple II is going to be a trip. Somehow my edutainment experience largely skipped over this and instead dealt with Amazon Trail and African Trail, which were less about punishing realism and more about exploration.

And this game is loving punishing. I’m running a test game to make sure it’s all stable and I can do screenshots fine, so I set it to a teacher in 1840. Probably the hardest year and profession.

I’m currently about halfway through and have no food except what plants I can scavenge. I have no gun, no wagon parts, and only 4 oxen left. I ended up with the wagon swamped or tipping in rivers about half a dozen times.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Do you start out in Illinois in May, 1846? I'm asking for... reasons.

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 10, 2019

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CirclMastr posted:

Voting for this. That or we're hoping to get rich off the 49ers instead of being Rushers ourselves.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Regalingualius posted:

Do you start out in Illinois in May, 1846? I'm asking for... reasons.

I’m pretty sure the game actually creates the historic snowstorm if you take the same route at the same time.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ooo, this looks good. we taking bets on who drowns first and who catches dysentry?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I am, as I type this sentence, looking at my wife's CD of this very game. I've only ever played the original, but I might play along for the experience.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

NGDBSS posted:

Seeing this in something other than 256-color graphics on an Apple II is going to be a trip.
Yeah, same here. I remember being excited whenever my teacher would break out the Apple IIs, because it meant that we got a break from listening to history lectures and got to play a computer game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Meaty Ore posted:

I am, as I type this sentence, looking at my wife's CD of this very game. I've only ever played the original, but I might play along for the experience.

I recommend playing in admin mode. Compatibility mode may or may not break the cutscenes for some odd reason.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, same here. I remember being excited whenever my teacher would break out the Apple IIs, because it meant that we got a break from listening to history lectures and got to play a computer game.
Same. Our elementary school only had two games total*, but it was always a delight in second grade to get to play some computer games rather than yet another lecture on state history or another quiz on addition/multiplication tables (do kids even learn these any more?).

*This, plus a game where you delivered pizza to like aliens using pulleys and stuff.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Commander Keene posted:

My nostalgia is for the first Organ Trail 2 version. The "sudden random event" noise is burned into my brain as a Pavlovian trigger to this day.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

CirclMastr posted:

Also voting for this.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016

CirclMastr posted:

Agreed

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m pretty sure the game actually creates the historic snowstorm if you take the same route at the same time.

:allears:

You know what they say: There's no party like a Donner Party! May, 1846.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Preemptive voting to buy as much Laudanum as possible and to use it as your primary tradegood throughout your journey.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MagusofStars posted:

Same. Our elementary school only had two games total*, but it was always a delight in second grade to get to play some computer games rather than yet another lecture on state history or another quiz on addition/multiplication tables (do kids even learn these any more?).

*This, plus a game where you delivered pizza to like aliens using pulleys and stuff.
For my school, it was Oregon Trail and Number Munchers. Oregon Trail, despite (or perhaps because of) being absolutely brutal in difficulty, was more interesting to me than a game where you play as a number-eating space alien in search of food.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
if this cart is packed with anything but bullets im gonna be pissed

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

if this cart is packed with anything but bulletsclocks im gonna be pissed

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

if this cart is packed with anything but bullets clockscocks im gonna be pissed

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Voting this for the journey's soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDl4OhRN3bQ

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

CirclMastr posted:

I like the concept of being late, but if we're going to do that, I'd choose June of 1843. May 22nd, 1843 was the first time a wagon train of at least 1000 people was assembled to walk the Trail; to be a part of a group that missed that boat would also get a chuckle out of me.

To actually beat them to Oregon would be even better.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Oh gently caress yeah, this was the version I grew up on.

Never made it to California though, only Oregon. I'd always die of thirst. Also I always skipped the cutscenes.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Is this the one with that terrifying *dun DUN!!!!* whenever ANYTHING happens? Also voting for April 1850

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Can we set out on December 1860, with as many guns and ammo as we can carry so we can hunt rebels for food and warmth.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Oh God, I used to stream this game on Twitch (to an audience of like 3 people), those videos are so painfully bad.

Still, I call for hard mode. Start in March of 1848, and spend all your starting money on useless poo poo like furniture.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

James Peach posted:

I like the concept of being late, but if we're going to do that, I'd choose June of 1843. May 22nd, 1843 was the first time a wagon train of at least 1000 people was assembled to walk the Trail; to be a part of a group that missed that boat would also get a chuckle out of me.

To actually beat them to Oregon would be even better.

I second this notion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No one ever learned anything from the Oregon Trail

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

RBA Starblade posted:

booooo!

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Hey, I learned that Fort Laramie existed! And that there's a place called Chimney Rock. :colbert:

God, I get nostalgia just seeing the name of this game! I played the original in elementary school, and those graphics are burned into my memory.

Voting for missing the Gold Rush boat, April 1850.

(There was another game I played just as much right alongside Oregon Trail, but I can't for the life of me remember the name--I just remember that you played a fish in a pond, and you had to be careful of the other fish since they tried to eat you, and also avoid getting too close to the surface because an osprey would get you. I think you could play as different species of fish?)

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, would you say that Oregon was basically the most expensive DLC available in the 19th century for the popular game "let's build a living in America"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Rosemont posted:

(There was another game I played just as much right alongside Oregon Trail, but I can't for the life of me remember the name--I just remember that you played a fish in a pond, and you had to be careful of the other fish since they tried to eat you, and also avoid getting too close to the surface because an osprey would get you. I think you could play as different species of fish?)
Odell Lake?