Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

to be fair you can have all the context or zero context and the shinryu fight will make just as much sense either way

e: new page? check this out

https://twitter.com/zanekonpu/status/1128660542787178496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Givin posted:

11s main plot points were pretty good unfortunately surrounded by a game that likes to dance on your balls in high heels.

It would have been fine as a single player FF story entry. At least the Windurst storyline. Ajido-Marujido could have been Kefka levels of badass.

The 11 that everyone remembers (the brutal difficulty, the absurd endgame) is largely gone. Trust magic makes lowbie and midgame content soloable. All of the COP storyline and zones are no longer level capped. There's no crazyass 10+ hour fights, no camped to hell world spawns.

There's a bit of a wall getting into endgame, but thats because of the jump fron 99 to 119 and player expectations for content. Doing most all the story is almost entirely soloable

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
I care very much about 14's story and characters.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I care deeply about the story as it is one of the primary vectors for delivering brutal owns on Alphinaud.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Arzachel posted:

I mean, would we even be having this discussion if it was an American written story about a fictional South American country?

I think so, yeah-- there were plenty of discussions around the Red Dead Redemption games and their relationships to a fictionalized Mexico and the fictional Guarma that touched on how to represent imperialism without being reductive or glib. Not the same exact thing obviously but the conversation was there, and it definitely dealt with the uncomfortable asymmetry of power going on in terms of who gets to tell what stories and how.

Edit: I also like the story of FFXIV an awful lot, but I get why some people get in the habit of skipping through stuff, especially early on when it hews pretty close to formula and has major pacing issues. I never really fully understand the urge to brag about it though.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

frodnonnag posted:

Nah, the story largely sucks. Most players remembered the brutal difficulty that forced cooperation and made poo poo feel earned.

I'm going to once again take issue with the way people conflate "content is tuned toward requiring multiple players" and "things are slow and death is punishing" with difficulty. Grinding is not "earning" anything. You earned the I'm more patient and have more free time than other people badge.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

grinding isn't good but failure is punishing in some manner is difficulty. i certainly haven't given a poo poo about dying in an mmo in almost 20 years.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Intent is a moot point. The fact is they did offend at least some people with it. I don’t know if it’s all Korean people or just some of them, but it happened regardless of intent.

Gonna guess that they’ll line up some kind of apology, but the bigger factor here isn’t even the offense, it’s that Japan is really bad about admitting these things even happened.

I cannot agree intent isn't a moot point. Accidental offense does happen and realistically it should be judge as just that. Like the tons of white girls getting Mehndi on their hands not understanding the offense should not be judged on the same level as someone walking around doing a offensive Indian accent to get laughs from his friends.

Intent is such a huge thing that even American laws make it a legal floor that you have to at least prove that you had intent to do many crimes.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Glagha posted:

I'm going to once again take issue with the way people conflate "content is tuned toward requiring multiple players" and "things are slow and death is punishing" with difficulty. Grinding is not "earning" anything. You earned the I'm more patient and have more free time than other people badge.

You're thinking most people had the majority of content in 75 era ffxi 'on farm' when that often just wasn't true. Most groups except the top endgame shells struggled with content like dynamis lord, or ultima/omega, or odin and even when they could clear them semi consistently (with all of the right people on in their group) it still was more often than not a knock down drag out fight. In the current end game the balance of power vastly has tipped to the player, but in 75 era poo poo was legitimately challenging.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Tormented posted:

I cannot agree intent isn't a moot point. Accidental offense does happen and realistically it should be judge as just that. Like the tons of white girls getting Mehndi on their hands not understanding the offense should not be judged on the same level as someone walking around doing a offensive Indian accent to get laughs from his friends.

Intent is such a huge thing that even American laws make it a legal floor that you have to at least prove that you had intent to do many crimes.

It's certainly better that they didn't actively set out to rub salt in some Koreans' wounds. But that doesn't entirely absolve them. It's well-known to be a sore subject, not least due to the official Japan not having been very good about acknowledging the country's past misdeeds.

E: But yeah, if it was just everyday period dress, it's also strange to demand that some of the most important / formative times in modern Japanese history be completely ignored because bad things were done to a lot of people. Korean netizens have at times also been quite aggressively nationalistic - not that that erases any of the above.

I forgot how annoyingly hardline some of these contoverses can get. Nationalism is poo poo.

Bobfly fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 15, 2019

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's really likely what actually happened here is that the company that runs the Chinese and Korean version went to Square and asked for the outfit and the other historical dresses we've gotten since it's a popular aesthetic in China and not a single person across either country thought about historical problems.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
they just keep comin' and comin' but they just can't make me do em

(there's an ifrit one too) i'm gonna go do blue mage poo poo instead and never play HW, that'll show em

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kaptainkaffeine posted:

they just keep comin' and comin' but they just can't make me do em

(there's an ifrit one too) i'm gonna go do blue mage poo poo instead and never play HW, that'll show em

the best way to take care of those is doing HLDR instead of marathoning them imo. though the ifrit and other primals are required for continuing the story iirc but you can probably set up a goonrush for them

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
do Labyrinth of Ancients and the next raid in is sequence, though. You'll unlock a new and extremely EXP-lucrative roulette that way.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

frodnonnag posted:

You're thinking most people had the majority of content in 75 era ffxi 'on farm' when that often just wasn't true. Most groups except the top endgame shells struggled with content like dynamis lord, or ultima/omega, or odin and even when they could clear them semi consistently (with all of the right people on in their group) it still was more often than not a knock down drag out fight. In the current end game the balance of power vastly has tipped to the player, but in 75 era poo poo was legitimately challenging.

I mean, I am a person who has willingly played both EverQuest and Final Fantasy 11 within the last year so I'm not judging, I definitely get the appeal, but I've seen fight design in old MMOs yes there's difficulty. There's also just time eating horseshit and I never want that to become MMO standard again.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Glagha posted:

I mean, I am a person who has willingly played both EverQuest and Final Fantasy 11 within the last year so I'm not judging, I definitely get the appeal, but I've seen fight design in old MMOs yes there's difficulty. There's also just time eating horseshit and I never want that to become MMO standard again.

11 within the last year is an entirely different monster than the ffxi of 10 years ago.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

frodnonnag posted:

11 within the last year is an entirely different monster than the ffxi of 10 years ago.

I mean that was just me illustrating the point that I am willing to play old bad MMOs for the fun of it, and yeah the game is way more playable now than it was 10 years ago. Also way more dead.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'd love to know who was the ad wizard that came up with pandemonium warden.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Hey, I read something about Stormblood having NPCs to do dungeons with you. Is this right, and does it apply to the earlier dungeons? I remember ages ago asking in this or one of the precursor threads and getting the answer that grouped dungeons are part of the game's story and not really something you can skip. Since I'm more of a solo-player, and since I figure people will be skipping the plot in dungeons they've already played, I kinda stayed away from the game. But adding NPC companions would solve that problem for me.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Glagha posted:

I mean that was just me illustrating the point that I am willing to play old bad MMOs for the fun of it, and yeah the game is way more playable now than it was 10 years ago. Also way more dead.

Play on asura.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Digital Osmosis posted:

Hey, I read something about Stormblood having NPCs to do dungeons with you. Is this right, and does it apply to the earlier dungeons? I remember ages ago asking in this or one of the precursor threads and getting the answer that grouped dungeons are part of the game's story and not really something you can skip. Since I'm more of a solo-player, and since I figure people will be skipping the plot in dungeons they've already played, I kinda stayed away from the game. But adding NPC companions would solve that problem for me.

It's part of this system where you train a squad of nerds and you can only do it in like 5 dungeons, period.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
We don't know if you'll be able to take NPCs from the new system into old dungeons, but you don't need to worry either way. There are only two dungeons with major story beats *during* the run, and they happen in unskippable cutscenes. People used to be able to skip them and it was such a major problem that the devs swore off ever doing it again, so after that point all dungeon cutscenes happen after you finish the end boss, when there's no rush or waiting for others.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
They've said that you can bring Trusts only into MSQ dungeons, and Squadron NPCs don't unlock until lv50 and aren't really suitable for doing the few MSQ dungeons you can drag them to after that. None of the dungeons really have story you can miss within them however, and the game is designed around making sure that new players are always going to feel useful and comfortable instead of people getting dragged through the instance at lightspeed.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Digital Osmosis posted:

There's no way around doing dungeons during the story. You have to do them, but that shouldn't be a roadblock for anyone. All dungeons are run by everyone all the time because this is what the bulk of the endgame grinding is. Work your role correctly and you don't even have to talk to anyone. Also dungeons are fun as hell, especially the first time. Maybe not the first few though; they're pretty antiquated.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

SettingSun posted:

but that shouldn't be a roadblock for anyone.

It can be a roadblock if you don't have the item level to get in :(

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

"let's add a monster to the game that a raid's worth of people can't kill even fighting it nonstop for 20 hours. this is good game design."

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Glagha posted:

It's part of this system where you train a squad of nerds and you can only do it in like 5 dungeons, period.

15 to be precise.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean it's an mmo the "story" is supposed to be background/setting.

wow refugee spotted

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when wow was released i was already a man by then it was nothing to me but casual.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Kerrzhe posted:

It can be a roadblock if you don't have the item level to get in :(

Or actual level. :v:
MSQ: The Black Wolf's Ultimatum (min 46)
MSQ: Operation Archon (min 49)

Oh god, 2.0 flashbacks are flooding in

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

"let's add a monster to the game that a raid's worth of people can't kill even fighting it nonstop for 20 hours. this is good game design."

Didnt everquest have this tier of shittery?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Waking The Sleeper was on that level since it permanently stopped certain gamechanging weapons (and a Monk robe iirc) from dropping on that realm again

Also The Sleeper went from zone to zone, killing every player and NPC until it bugged out and despawned

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was a puzzle boss that people didn't work very hard at to figure out the puzzle for. People attacked it, the HP went down, "ah, this must be how you do it."

There are reasons enrage timers are standard design now :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I played a lot of Ff11 in 2004-2005, it was an absolutely terrible game that I played because my friends did. Then eventually they got into WOW and my experience with 11 was so bad I never played another MMO until just now with FF14

I can’t tell if I’m actually enjoying Ff14 or if I’m just glad it isn’t beating the poo poo out of me for trying to play it

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Sorry to detail old game chat, but I just realized there's going to be a whole new dimension of people dunking on Alphinaud.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

When I was a kid I convinced my parents to buy me FFXI for my PS2 (with the HDD!). What they didn't know was that this required internet to play (which we didn't have) so they made me take it back. I wonder what turns my life would have taken if I was actually able to play that game.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Azubah posted:

Sorry to detail old game chat, but I just realized there's going to be a whole new dimension of people dunking on Alphinaud.

:kheldragar:

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I’m on the ultimate weapon part of the MSQ but I heard there are like 100 quests of filler between this and heavensward content. Is that true? Is it worth watching all the cinematics and such for these ?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Tormented posted:

Okay, and that’s all great at an individual level, but we’re talking about a corporation. How do you prove the intent of a corporation in this case when it doesn’t have anything to do with money directly?

I wholeheartedly reject the idea that they get a pass on this just because of intent. We have to hold organizations to higher standards.

Also all they really need to do is apologize for it, maybe change the outfit a bit or something. It’s not like the punishment is taking down ffxiv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Pussy Quipped posted:

I’m on the ultimate weapon part of the MSQ but I heard there are like 100 quests of filler between this and heavensward content. Is that true? Is it worth watching all the cinematics and such for these ?

yes

no