Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3peat
May 6, 2010

I'm not getting my hopes up but maybe the Zen 2 memory latency isn't as poo poo as I thought? https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bonwyr/amd_eng_sample_2d3212bgmcwh2_3734_n_1_cpu_12/enj4lez

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

3peat posted:

I'm not getting my hopes up but maybe the Zen 2 memory latency isn't as poo poo as I thought? https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/bonwyr/amd_eng_sample_2d3212bgmcwh2_3734_n_1_cpu_12/enj4lez

Pretty much the same latency as Zen+, if the memory is running at CL22-24.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Arzachel posted:

Pretty much the same latency as Zen+, if the memory is running at CL22-24.

Yes, and that would be great because there was a lot of talk that moving the memory controller to a separate die would wreck memory latency and games would run worse on Zen 2 than on Zen 1

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A link to the actual benchmark post:

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/16910589

I just ran it on my R7 1700, and it whomps the poo poo out of mine in memory latency (2900MHz vs 3200 in the bench fwiw). I don't have any particular problems running anything or have any hitches. That unified I/O die seems really nice; at the highest load it's still 10ns faster than mine, and I'll take an 11% performance improvement everywhere I can get it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Statutory Ape posted:

this question is why the fans run on magnets

Yeah, non-magnetic fans only in my PCs. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

taqueso posted:

Yeah, non-magnetic fans only in my PCs. :colbert:

Fans run by Internal Combustion only for me, thanks!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CommieGIR posted:

Fans run by Internal Combustion only for me, thanks!

My fans are run by a stirling engine, so they are powered by the heat sources they are cooling. The better they run, the worse they run.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Lowen SoDium posted:

My fans are run by a stirling engine, so they are powered by the heat sources they are cooling. The better they run, the worse they run.

That's called automatic speed control!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lowen SoDium posted:

"this but unironically" - msi in 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqqeR4ZRx6w&t=26s

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/msi_stirling_cooling/

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Have AMD made any guarantees about which existing chipsets will be compatible with the new processors? I was going to wait until late summer to build, but I need something now.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Chas McGill posted:

Have AMD made any guarantees about which existing chipsets will be compatible with the new processors? I was going to wait until late summer to build, but I need something now.

We know that B350, X370, B450, and X470 boards have been getting firmware updates to enable support for new CPUs. Whether they will support all of the new CPUs (not just the 8-core and below models but also the 12- and 16-core models) and whether they will support PCIe 4 on the CPU lanes is still not known.

EDIT: Slides from AMD's annual stockholders meeting are pointing to a Q3 launch for Ryzen 3000, Epyc 2, and Navi:

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 15, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I think AMD's third quarter is July 1 through September 30? So that's the window for the first products I guess

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
drat, I was kind of hoping for availability in June. Not sure if they will still announce at computex but I guess if so it's going to be a month+ until availability.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Paul MaudDib posted:

drat, I was kind of hoping for availability in June. Not sure if they will still announce at computex but I guess if so it's going to be a month+ until availability.

There's really no need for them to rush this out right now. They should take time to build up stock and get the firmware quirks fixed up as best they can so they don't have a repeat of all the firmware issues they had when Zen launched

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Zen 2 better be worth the wait. :colbert:

But if my 2500k rig dies before Zen 2 launches then it's a cheap 2600X and B450 board for me. I do wonder how many people are holding on with their older-than-dirt Sandy Bridge rigs until Zen 2 becomes available.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

spasticColon posted:

But if my 2500k rig dies before Zen 2 launches then it's a cheap 2600X and B450 board for me. I do wonder how many people are holding on with their older-than-dirt Sandy Bridge rigs until Zen 2 becomes available.

I'm standing by with an Ivy Bridge waiting to see what happens later this year. I'm due for a new system but I'm not in a rush so I'll see how everything looks once Zen2 is out.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

spasticColon posted:

I was planning on doing just that (2500k - not even OCed since I guess I got a bad chip and I can't get it stable even with a modest overclock), but my parents need a new computer and I'm tempted to give them this one in exchange for a nominal fee.

Even if a 2600X isn't massively more powerful for gaming, I'm sure I'd see pretty good improvements in dev and design performance.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

spasticColon posted:

I'm living the Sandy Bridge life too.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Chas McGill posted:

I was planning on doing just that (2500k - not even OCed since I guess I got a bad chip and I can't get it stable even with a modest overclock), but my parents need a new computer and I'm tempted to give them this one in exchange for a nominal fee.

Even if a 2600X isn't massively more powerful for gaming, I'm sure I'd see pretty good improvements in dev and design performance.

I do have my 2500k at 4.2GHz but it won't go any higher no matter what I do. A 2600X will give a nice boost especially in newer AAA games that seem to love more cores/threads and increased system memory bandwidth. But I'm not playing newer AAA games anyway (not until Cyberpunk 2077 at least) so I don't really notice it too much. I think the newest AAA games I've played are DOOM 2016, Rise of The Tomb Raider, and GTA5.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 15, 2019

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

That doesn't make sense. If you've got enough top-binned chiplets to service the desktop market with a high-clock (dual-die) 16C product as well as downmarket R5 products using single 8C dies, you've got enough top-binned chips to service the (much smaller) HEDT market as well.

If you look at Mindfactory data, TR sells like 1% of the volume of R7s and R5s. The 2950X is like a three-pixel slice, the 2990WX is literally a line, everything else is rounded into "other". AMD would sell less R9s than they currently do R7s due to higher pricing, but any way you want to slice it, HEDT is a low-volume product compared to consumer processors.

Threadripper may not be pulled at all, it may just not have been on the consumer roadmap because it's not really a consumer processor, but if it is pulled it's probably to avoid it undercutting Epyc sales, rather than because they don't have enough dies. The idea of 64C variants, in particular, has always seemed kinda suspect to me because the 2990WX was segmented from Epyc by its wonky 2+0+2+0 NUMA config, with the IO die on Zen2 it's no longer NUMA, so would literally just be an overclockable single-socket Epyc (with lower memory channels/PCIe lanes I guess). When they do threadripper, I would not be surprised at all to see the highest config being 32C.

Given the tiny number of TRs sold, it might not be worth AMD's time to invest in them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've got a 2700x and I'm going to upgrade to Zen 2 anyway. I'll just build a nifty little itx system for my mom with the soon-to-be spare 2700x and a gtx750 I have laying around. It should handle Facebook well.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

A 2600X IS massively faster than a stock 2500K.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/619vs3956

Obviously, if your current games are running fine, then whatever, but you'll notice a big gain everywhere else.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

LRADIKAL posted:

but you'll notice a big gain everywhere else.

not if you dont have a video card :colbert:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm still alright with having given up my 3770K and equipment for B450 and a discount 1600 earlier this year. I did sort of overpay on RAM as it was/is still falling and I bought stupid :pcgaming: RGB 3200 RAM because I want to use it for the eventual Zen2/3 system, but the 1600 was only $100 and while it has dropped another 20% since then I doubt it reaches the point of being $12 used anytime soon.

I'm afraid if I waited until Zen2 was out out out, I'd be competing with you lot to find some poor soul to take my ancient Intel system and we'd collectively pop the Intel Old Hardware Bubble. Glad to be ahead of the upcoming firesale I see brewing here.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 15, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

What did you do with the 3770k?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Statutory Ape posted:

What did you do with the 3770k?

CPU went for $170, motherboard for $100, all minus eBay fees naturally; and the RAM I undersold to a friend (16GB for $25) who was in desperate need.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I have this little SFF dell optiplex i tinker on in my spare time and its still running an i5 3470 or something on (i think) lga 1155- was considering hopping on ebay or something to find an i7 to put into it for some added fun

not to the tune of $170 tho. any suggestions on where i'd grab something on the cheap? seems like i should be able to snag one out of the trash practically

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Look for the non-K, I'd guess. As it's an SFF PC, you probably don't have the cooling to go 4.2ghz+ with it.

Older i7s, particularly the unlocked ones, have held their value really well since Intel's constant cycle of dead-end obsolescence means you can't put a newer generation's midrange chip in there for the same performance.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Does anyone know when we might start seeing thunderbolt 3 on AMD boards? Sometime later this year I hope?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is there any call for TB3 on desktop boards though? Can barely get USB 3.2 type Cs on boards as is.

E: Sorry 3.1 10Gb/s, poo poo’s confusing.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

priznat posted:

Is there any call for TB3 on desktop boards though? Can barely get USB 3.2 type Cs on boards as is.

I'd like it for eGPU and AMD is a much better value than Intel right now.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Broken Machine posted:

I'd like it for eGPU and AMD is a much better value than Intel right now.

Are there PCIe addin cards available for AMD motherboards? Might be a solution. I just have my doubts we’ll see thunderbolt on many motherboards if any. Hopefully wrong though!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotland-class_submarine

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

This got me remembering things.

https://www.thermaltake.com/C_00002957.htm?id=C_00002957

No, I have no idea why there are no reviews. Maybe it's just a product page for the sake of a product page.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

SwissArmyDruid posted:

This got me remembering things.

https://www.thermaltake.com/C_00002957.htm?id=C_00002957

No, I have no idea why there are no reviews. Maybe it's just a product page for the sake of a product page.

lol

i kept looking around for some reference to april fools but :shrug:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Some actual samples out there exist, they showed up in Computex 2016 coverage.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Am I missing something? You can buy them on Amazon. :confused:

It's not a Stirling engine, it's got a regular motor, it's just a low-profile "flower" style design. Pushing the air out radially is a cute idea to get the height down, but it's not terribly different from something like the Zalman CNPS8900.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 15, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nice. that thing looks straight up like a carburetor and now i want to build something with it

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, you know what?

I got two similar but different products mixed up.

The one that does exist is driven and is made by Thermaltake.

The one that doesn't exist and runs off passive heat was being shown off by COOLERMASTER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/zombieload-attack-intel-what-to-do,news-30082.html

Man, at this loving rate, AMD will overtake Intel in terms of performance solely because Intel just keeps having to reel their perf back in with hyperthreading exploit mitigation patches.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 16, 2019