Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
the person moving that dog toy in those 6 years never wondered about the weight and splashing sounds from within?

"drat that dog drools like hell!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
WIBTA for getting upset with my wife for canceling our vacation because we just had a baby? (self.AmItheAsshole)

quote:

I'll be as brief as possible.

My family has been planning a big family Hawaiian vacation (my parents, my brother's family with 3 kids, some very close family friends) for about 10 years now to celebrate my niece's graduation from High School. It is scheduled for early/Mid August this year, and everyone is chipping in for an awesome house to rent for the week.

My wife has known about this trip since we started dating a few years ago. We have been lucky and are now pregnant, due in late June.

My wife is telling me that she does not think we should go. The baby will only be a month or two old, and she is worried about how she will feel after giving birth. The flight would be from the Northeast US, probably a changeover in California, and then out to Hawaii.

My feeling is that people travel with 1-2 month old kids all the time. Also we will have a TON of family around us if we go on the trip who WANT to help watch the kid (so maybe we can relax more than if we stayed home), and I don't feel like she is going to still be hurting a month or two after giving birth. Mostly a guess, but my internet researching backs up the theory, so it's not completely out of the realm of possibility.

I am supporting her feelings and haven't said anything negative yet (just how I am pretty bummed about missing it), but it is really making me frustrated the more I dwell on it. I've been excited about this trip for years.

WIBTA if I told her that I think she is being unreasonable?

ugh, my nagging wife doesn't want to fly to Hawaii when she's 1 month postpartum and before the kid can wear sunscreen or get vaccinated

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hey dumb rear end you know that thing you do when you move your jaw to pop your eardrums on an airplane

babies can't do that

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ghost emoji posted:

WIBTA for getting upset with my wife for canceling our vacation because we just had a baby? (self.AmItheAsshole)

ugh, my nagging wife doesn't want to fly to Hawaii when she's 1 month postpartum and before the kid can wear sunscreen or get vaccinated

there's no way he did any research about flying with a one month old baby or flying right after giving birth and came away with the conclusion that they should do it

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

The White Dragon posted:

hey dumb rear end you know that thing you do when you move your jaw to pop your eardrums on an airplane

babies can't do that

FWIW a binky causes babies to make that motion pretty effectively, but that dude is still a jackass

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Planning a vacation for 10 years :eyepop:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I've done trans-Pacific with an 8 month old and it's not that hard. His wife is being dumb.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Ha ha ha ha ha

quote:

And how is this not unfair for him? I mean his whole family goes and its a once in a life time event. I understand not forcing her to go but why shouldnt he be allowed to go? They could hire someone to watch the baby or she could go on a vacation afterwards while he watches the baby. Compromises are important to prevent growing resentment.

Edit: Despite all those discussion i still stand with NTA. As long as his wife isnt incapable of going with him he is not the rear end in a top hat for wanting to go.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When we went to my MiLs in Florida two years ago, our niece was 7 weeks old and was basically the star attraction. That said, flying was a bit of a PITA, but they managed it despite also having a 2 year old.

I'm on the side of drinking Pina coladas while everyone tells them how perfect their baby is.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ghost emoji posted:

Good luck being with this dude for life.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

ghost emoji posted:

Only idiots would have forgotten to time their pregnancy out.

But seriously, 10 years in the making? What the hell?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if anything don't fly with the fuckin baby for everyone else on the plane's sake

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

hawowanlawow posted:

if anything don't fly with the fuckin baby for everyone else on the plane's sake

https://www.theonion.com/i-slapped-a-crying-child-and-called-him-a-friend of the family-and-i-1819584813

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Dazerbeams posted:

Only idiots would have forgotten to time their pregnancy out.

But seriously, 10 years in the making? What the hell?

Seriously. Imagine at the beginning of a relationship someone was like "hey, make sure you take time off for this trip 3 years from now" and the trip isn't to somewhere difficult to get to or even that exotic. Maybe they're super poor though, so I guess I could just be an rear end in a top hat.

lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

hawowanlawow posted:

Yeah, if at all possible don't

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

You can't get an MMR that early can you? Cause that baby is definitely getting measles.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

Typically they only scream on takeoff and landing because of their ears, and either breastfeeding or sucking on a pacifier will help alleviate it quickly. People make flying with a baby or to be a herculean task but id you plan ahead it's not much harder than looking after a baby in any other circumstance.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

hawowanlawow posted:

Jesus, this. I think lovely, entitled parents have replaced hours long waits in security as the reason I don't fly unless I really have to.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
You can always give em the old Benadryl mickey

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
i once took a plane back from china and i guess there where some adoptive couples coming along, a handful of shrieking babies for half the flight, REALLY FUN

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

unless they're one of the subset of kids for whom benadryl provokes a paradoxical reaction and amps them up

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

therobit posted:

I've done trans-Pacific with an 8 month old and it's not that hard. His wife is being dumb.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a slight difference between a one month old and an eight month old

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

unless they're one of the subset of kids for whom benadryl provokes a paradoxical reaction and amps them up

This was my wife when she was five. She had a "few" questions for the people behind her. Switzerland to New York.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a slight difference between a one month old and an eight month old

An 8 month old and a 4 year old have more in common than an 8 month old and a 1 month old

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Well you obviously test it ahead of time

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

therobit posted:

Typically they only scream on takeoff and landing because of their ears, and either breastfeeding or sucking on a pacifier will help alleviate it quickly. People make flying with a baby or to be a herculean task but id you plan ahead it's not much harder than looking after a baby in any other circumstance.

And a 2 month old baby is likely to be crying a lot in "any other circumstance". It's not so different for the parents but it sure is for the dozens of other passengers who would probably prefer not to be stuck in a sealed tube with an intermittently screaming infant for 14 hours.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I had trip planned 10 years in the future that was incredibly important to go on, I'd make sure I didn't get my wife pregnant between those dates?? Like, the dude got her pregnant, he ruined his own trip. He makes it sound like it's something she just went and decided to do. Maybe they've been trying for a kid for a while, but even so use protection for a year or half a year or how ever big of a window you want to make sure your wife won't be heavily pregnant or nursing a 1 month old during your incredibly important vacation.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

SirSamVimes posted:

Yeah, 1 month olds sleep all the time, so it's easier. The only thing I would worry about at 1 month would be the possibility of them getting sick, but if they are breastfeeding the risk is a lot lower because at that point they are still picking up their mother's antibodies from the milk.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Fatkraken posted:

And a 2 month old baby is likely to be crying a lot in "any other circumstance". It's not so different for the parents but it sure is for the dozens of other passengers who would probably prefer not to be stuck in a sealed tube with an intermittently screaming infant for 14 hours.

Nah, they really don't cry that much. People that think you shouldn't travel with a kid are the same people that lose it over any minor inconvenience. Children are an important part of society and expecting not to ever encounter crying babies is kind of absurd.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

therobit posted:

if keeping a pre-toddler happy on a long flight wasn't a herculean task then 99% of parents wouldn't fail at it

a baby is an agent of chaos. if your plan is to give it a pacificer or let it suck a titty for seven hours then i have some news for you

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Anyone who thinks that if they don't go there won't be any screaming children on the plane has never taken a flight to or from Hawaii.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also who goes on a long flight without some really good earplugs or nice headphones that block everything out? Wail away baby, I can't hear you.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I would 100% be fine with any babies on a flight if I had the opportunity to hold them.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

therobit posted:

Nah, they really don't cry that much. People that think you shouldn't travel with a kid are the same people that lose it over any minor inconvenience. Children are an important part of society and expecting not to ever encounter crying babies is kind of absurd.

*checks username, stops typing*

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

1. You have all vastly missed the point of that post

2. It's extremely funny when people without children start giving parenting advice that is largely "don't inconvenience me."

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Beachcomber posted:

I would 100% be fine with any babies on a flight if I had the opportunity to hold them.

You want a baby? I can get you a baby

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Beachcomber posted:

I would 100% be fine with any babies on a flight if I had the opportunity to hold them out the window.

Fixed it for you.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

therobit posted:

Totally agree, as long as said Kid's parents are doing their part to try and keep their kid sane. Like if you have a baby and it cries, big whoop. If you have a 4 year old who keeps kicking the back of my seat and you do nothing, it's time we end your lineage.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

FactsAreUseless posted:

1. You have all vastly missed the point of that post

2. It's extremely funny when people without children start giving parenting advice that is largely "don't inconvenience me."

Yeah, I feel like people are missing that it's the wife -- the mother of the child, who'll be one month post-partum at the time -- who doesn't want to go. The baby isn't really the issue; it's the mom who's likely to be physically and emotionally thrashed, especially if the pregnancy and/or birth were difficult. If she wanted to go on the trip, right on, but she has the right to focus on recovery and not long flights and dealing with in-laws in ONCE IN A LIFETIME GO GO GO mode.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wouldn't go on a vacation that requires a flight with a baby, because I'm a cool dude

I guess wanting other people to be cool is just too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

tactlessbastard posted:

You want a baby? I can get you a baby

Honestly, if we could do the whole Clark Kent thing where you could just suddenly have a baby, we'd do it. I've got a huge paperwork phobia and adoption in the US is just incredibly difficult.