Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't know what a 6 on the refractometer is but there's a lot of mythology about Japanese cooking that simply isn't true. I have not made tonkotsu broth so no idea about this situation, but from my general experience of learning to cook Japanese food I no longer trust any of the Japanese "it must be this exact way" rules. Some of them turn out to be right, but plenty are just "old person told me this we cannot alter the tradition!!" stuff that don't hold up to a rigorous test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It might "work" but as you can see, the fat is separating. If you cook until a reading of 5 or 6 on a refractometer, this will not happen. I don't need to try the recipie. It has been scientifically discovered by the yamato school of ramen. There are all kinds of good pork stock you can make for northern styles of ramen. When I say refractometer, I mean the viscosity of the broth.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 14, 2019

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
I'll try to scan some material from ramen school if I can dig it up later. Are you going to make noodles too?

-edit- Really, the best advice would be find a copy of "no one wants to teach you yamato style ramen." But I use the one from work. It's very expensive, but it is meant to be the capstone textbook. It has scientifically derived recipes for 100's of stocks and 1000's of tares. It's not really for the home cook, but I can go pilfer some info from work if there's anything specifically that interests you. I have access to nearly every English language book about ramen. Ivan and Momofuku are a good place to start. This book on tare is very good too. It has pictures, so it might not be too terrible if you only read english. You could make a new ramen a day and not repeat for years and years.

The stereotype of japanese cooking being more folklore than science are becoming less and less true as bored aerospace engineers and salarymen turn their hobbies into vanity projects.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 14, 2019

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It might "work" but as you can see, the fat is separating. If you cook until a reading of 5 or 6 on a refractometer, this will not happen. I don't need to try the recipie. It has been scientifically discovered by the yamato school of ramen. There are all kinds of good pork stock you can make for northern styles of ramen. When I say refractometer, I mean the viscosity of the broth.

Is it possible/can you give an example visually of the difference that you're describing?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I no longer trust any of the Japanese "it must be this exact way" rules. Some of them turn out to be right, but plenty are just "old person told me this we cannot alter the tradition!!" stuff that don't hold up to a rigorous test.
This is how literally every single God drat thing is in Japan.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

totalnewbie posted:

Is it possible/can you give an example visually of the difference that you're describing?
See the good eats tonk? The fat has separated and is floating on the top. If you do it long enough, the fat globs get smaller and smaller until they are completely dissolved into the stock. You might have a nice pork soup, but the emulsion is breaking. Then again, I learned from the foolish Japanese, so I probably don't know how to make ramen the cool blogger way. I think ours is the same as momofuku, also Asian, so take it with a grain of salt.

If you dont have time for tonkotsu, make a nice pork stock, skim off the fat and make a pork ramen.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 14, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

This is how literally every single God drat thing is in Japan.

Yeah, I lived in Asia for long enough to learn to be suspicious of anything that smells of tradition.

I'll try to scan some material from ramen school if I can dig it up later. Are you going to make noodles too?

Any materials would be cool to see. I would be up for trying to make noodles, I suspect it'll be like bread and too much effort for something no better than store made unless I'm willing to spend ages working on it, but won't know until I try.

The two soup chicken/dashi ramen in Ivan's book looks pretty good and a simple way to start. Though I'm going to make a shoyu tare instead, I never liked shio ramen much.

E: Also I really like the burnt miso ramen I got at Gogyo in Kyoto, I don't know if that's a wider style or what. I have no idea how they do it. I can tell from the fire when they make it that they aren't joking about the burnt part, but other than that it is a mystery.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 15, 2019

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah, I lived in Asia for long enough to learn to be suspicious of anything that smells of tradition.
Women can't make sushi, because their hands are too warm and the rice falls apart. Of course.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
also we are very spiritually impure

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Women can't make sushi, because their hands are too warm and the rice falls apart. Of course.

then how come moms can make onigiri????

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

im on the net me boys posted:

then how come moms can make onigiri????

Because they infuse the rice with love as they press it together and that's what makes it stick, duh.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

See the good eats tonk? The fat has separated and is floating on the top. If you do it long enough, the fat globs get smaller and smaller until they are completely dissolved into the stock. You might have a nice pork soup, but the emulsion is breaking. Then again, I learned from the foolish Japanese, so I probably don't know how to make ramen the cool blogger way. I think ours is the same as momofuku, also Asian, so take it with a grain of salt.

If you dont have time for tonkotsu, make a nice pork stock, skim off the fat and make a pork ramen.

I think I'm misunderstanding somewhere but just to be clear: you do or do not want the fat to break down? I thought no, and in fact the Serious Eats recipe deliberately tries to avoid this, but then you also said that you should simmer the stock for a long long time, which suggests that the fat should be broken down.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The fat in every tonkotsu broth I've had was clearly visible but fairly small, not big slicks of it. The visible fat in the Serious Eats recipe might be from the chopped fatback he tosses in. Anyway if the purpose is just to create an emulsion I wonder if a couple minutes with an immersion blender wouldn't accomplish the same thing, I use that to emulsify pasta sauces and make mayo and whatnot. Works great.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

The fat in every tonkotsu broth I've had was clearly visible but fairly small, not big slicks of it. The visible fat in the Serious Eats recipe might be from the chopped fatback he tosses in. Anyway if the purpose is just to create an emulsion I wonder if a couple minutes with an immersion blender wouldn't accomplish the same thing, I use that to emulsify pasta sauces and make mayo and whatnot. Works great.

I used to work at a ramen joint and they would do that. Pretty sure they blended duck fat into the chicken broth.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Grand Fromage posted:

I use that to emulsify pasta sauces and make mayo and whatnot. Works great.

I was so pissed off when I found out you can do Hollandaise with one.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Recommendations for bento veggies? I've done ohitashi, some kinpira, some random roasted veggies and of course blanched broccoli florets but I want some more ideas for some more variety.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FishBowlRobot posted:

Pretty sure they blended duck fat into the chicken broth.

Holy poo poo.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

captkirk posted:

Recommendations for bento veggies? I've done ohitashi, some kinpira, some random roasted veggies and of course blanched broccoli florets but I want some more ideas for some more variety.

Lotus root (cooked), cold roasted sweet potatoes, eggplant dishes, raw carrots and daikon to dip.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kinpira gobo freezes very nicely, I stock my bento drawer with individual portions of it. Keeps me from getting sick of it when I make a big batch. Kabocha in any of its forms works well too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, a bento drawer. That's not such a bad idea. Having to make poo poo from scratch every night was the biggest pain in the rear end of making bento, anything that makes it easier to put a box together helps immensely.

I've been making karaage recently, using the Cooking with Dog recipe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEX_rCVTPKE), and it's loving delicious - though I wonder if I'm getting the batter down right. I'm used to fried chicken having like a tough crunch to it, but karaage is a lot softer than that - is that normal? Maybe it's because I'm using potato starch instead of flour and breadcrumbs or something. And how dry/wet should the batter be - sticking well to the chicken, or falling off of it?

EDIT: It looks like another thing I should be doing is using deboned whole chicken thighs instead of boneless skinless thighs, since wrapping the meat in the skin helps keep the chicken pieces together instead of blobbing out. And I see kind of a mix in terms of whether people dredge the chicken in potato starch, or incorporate the potato starch into the marinade+beaten egg mixture. Not sure which I should be doing.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 19, 2019

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Pollyanna posted:

I've been making karaage recently, using the Cooking with Dog recipe (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEX_rCVTPKE), and it's loving delicious - though I wonder if I'm getting the batter down right. I'm used to fried chicken having like a tough crunch to it, but karaage is a lot softer than that - is that normal? Maybe it's because I'm using potato starch instead of flour and breadcrumbs or something.

It's probably your oil temperature. If you want it crispy you'll want to fry it first at @325F for about five minutes to cook the chicken through, then up the oil to @380F and put the chicken back in until it's got the color you want. That will give you crispy chicken. Do NOT leave the oil unattended for a nanosecond at 380, use a thermometer and cut the heat if you see smoke.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I've had trouble getting the oil temperature down exactly right. The "stick some chopsticks/batter in it and see if it bubbles" adage isn't very accurate, and my pen thermometer doesn't go up as far as 325~380. It really probably is as simple as the oil being too cold.

But goddamn, is it still absolutely loving delicious anyway. I bite into a piece and there's just this layer of fat and meat and ughghghghghhghghghghghhg I need more.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I recently picked up "Preserving the Japanese Way" recently. I did not expect it to be nearly a text book. Definitely going to have to wait to dive into that.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

I recently picked up "Preserving the Japanese Way" recently. I did not expect it to be nearly a text book. Definitely going to have to wait to dive into that.

That's a very clever title.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I could never get that milky white broth with tonkotsu so usually I just don't bother! I think the culprit is roasting the veggies before adding them to the pot because I blanch and clean the meat pretty thoroughly.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any goon-approved melon bread recipes floating around? I fell in goddamn love with it on my recent trip, and I'd love to try my hand at it!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

The two soup chicken/dashi ramen in Ivan's book looks pretty good and a simple way to start. Though I'm going to make a shoyu tare instead, I never liked shio ramen much.

E: Also I really like the burnt miso ramen I got at Gogyo in Kyoto, I don't know if that's a wider style or what. I have no idea how they do it. I can tell from the fire when they make it that they aren't joking about the burnt part, but other than that it is a mystery.
Those two Ivan ramen recipes are very good. I don't remember if he steeps the shoyu tare in dried bay scallops, but it's a drat fine step in making it awesome. The trick I've found in shoyu tare making is blending various soy sauces to get a complex tare. Marudaizu is great for a little oil, and fat from the soy. A high quality tamari can add depth and color, a chinese dark soy is cool here too. Light shoyu, you can use to get the salt level right, and you should be pretty close to excellent. That's the part where you can put in more or less effort. I never tried it, but it's probably not disgusting with just kikkoman.

I had a multi-unit ramen shop owner claim that our shop was the third best ramen in the world, better than his own shop, just off of our ability to use and improve that specific recipe. I just graduated again, been avoiding work like the plague, but I'll see what all I can dig up on burnt miso. I personally pan fry my miso most of the time.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 29, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

All I could tell about the burnt miso/burnt shoyu ramens is they do it in a wok, and there is a shitload of fire and smoke for about fifteen seconds.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Grand Fromage posted:

bento drawer
Any thoughts/hints on setting one up, keeping things fresh, etc.?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I just cook a bunch of stuff and wrap individual portions tightly in plastic wrap, then put those in bags. The only things I've found so far that are not worth freezing are tamagoyaki and karaage, those can stay in the fridge for a bit though. Tofu also changes quite a bit in the freezer so only freeze that if you're intending to alter it. Every week I pop out what I'm going to eat for my lunches and let it thaw in the fridge.

Rice can be frozen and reheated well. Portion it out fresh from the rice cooker and wrap it tightly. Don't cool it first. Then once wrapped pop it in the freezer, and once it freezes stick it in a bag. A couple minutes in the microwave and it'll come back to 90% as good as fresh cooked. Microwave with the plastic wrap on, and if possible keep it frozen but if it thaws somewhat it's okay.

In the fridge I have a wide assortment of pickles. Then on Sundays I usually make a couple things fresh. I try to aim to use a mix of fresh from the fridge, pickled, and frozen stuff in every bento so I rotate through things. I don't get up early to cook that day's lunch because lol.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Disagree about the rice. Rice that has been frozen and reheated is awful.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Have you tried it the way I described? The first time I tried to freeze rice was just in a tupperware and it turned into like, foam. It was horrible. But wrapping method works perfectly. It's about the same quality as those microwaveable shelf stable rice packs they have in Japan. I agree it's not as good as fresh but it's the closest thing, better than overnight in the fridge.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Grand Fromage posted:

I just cook a bunch of stuff and wrap individual portions tightly in plastic wrap, then put those in bags. The only things I've found so far that are not worth freezing are tamagoyaki and karaage, those can stay in the fridge for a bit though. Tofu also changes quite a bit in the freezer so only freeze that if you're intending to alter it. Every week I pop out what I'm going to eat for my lunches and let it thaw in the fridge.

Rice can be frozen and reheated well. Portion it out fresh from the rice cooker and wrap it tightly. Don't cool it first. Then once wrapped pop it in the freezer, and once it freezes stick it in a bag. A couple minutes in the microwave and it'll come back to 90% as good as fresh cooked. Microwave with the plastic wrap on, and if possible keep it frozen but if it thaws somewhat it's okay.

In the fridge I have a wide assortment of pickles. Then on Sundays I usually make a couple things fresh. I try to aim to use a mix of fresh from the fridge, pickled, and frozen stuff in every bento so I rotate through things. I don't get up early to cook that day's lunch because lol.

Very cool, thanks!

I especially appreciate the pointers on what freezes well and what doesn't. Somehow I hadn't thought about portioning and freezing rice. That, and keeping a wider variety of pickled veggies on hand, will make a big difference by themselves.

edited to fix my silly grammatical error

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jun 2, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The freezer is key. I spent a weekend cooking tons of stuff to start up a base, and now I just try to always cook too much of anything I'm making that seems like it'd be good for lunch and freeze a couple portions to keep my stocks up.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Frozen tofu is terrible (the texture turns into something like inari but worse) but frozen rice is perfectly fine. Never had it turn into mush, or even knew that that could happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Freezing tofu can be good as long as you're intending to change the texture. One of my favorite Chinese tofu dishes uses frozen tofu, I'm a big fan of the way it comes out. But freezing a cooked tofu thing is just going to end in sadness when you try to re-heat it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I am fiending hard for a copycat recipe for the Abura Soba Tokyo Aburagumi Souhonten chain's abura soba, please aid

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jun 4, 2019

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I ran across https://www.tokyocentral.com recently and there's a lot of things on there for significantly cheaper than Amazon, it's a good place to check too. Shipping may kill the difference depending on what you're buying, it's half off if you buy over $60 and free for over $120.

I am very lucky and have one of these 15 minutes from my house. Tokyo Central is legit and is an actual supermarket not an online retailer. I think they ship from their stores.

If you have any specific brand recommendations bring them on!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

I am fiending hard for a copycat recipe for the Abura Soba Tokyo Aburagumi Souhonten chain's abura soba, please aid

I dunno nothin but I wanted some soba so I made soba and then ate it. It was good. Welp that's my story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno nothin but I wanted some soba so I made soba and then ate it. It was good. Welp that's my story.

You know sumthin....my go to, I make soba/chukka 3 times/week. That looks lovely and I have hovered around
enough to know you are modest (rare).