Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amazon currently has the core book in stock, but there was a period where Amazon said it wouldn’t be available until July 2019.

Edit: Regarding the possible distribution problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Hmm. The Ulisses North America website lists their current product lines as 'Aventuria', 'The Dark Eye', 'Fading Suns', and 'Torg Eternity'. They have removed all W&G mentions from their site, and taken down all downloads in their support section.

...gently caress. I liked this game.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I am not surprised at all.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Lol at that trash rear end game dying a hilarious death.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I'd say they're leaving money on the table leaving a 40k shaped hole in their RPG lines, but if it was due to poor sales then maybe not.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

FFG made the best possible version of a 40k RPG already.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

susan posted:

Hmm. The Ulisses North America website lists their current product lines as 'Aventuria', 'The Dark Eye', 'Fading Suns', and 'Torg Eternity'. They have removed all W&G mentions from their site, and taken down all downloads in their support section.

...gently caress. I liked this game.

I don't understand why, but they removed it from their main site to spin up a site for the game all by itself: http://wrath-and-glory.com/ It is not good...

From what I can tell the company isn't hosting a single event at Gencon this year, compared to the W&G soft launch and a dozen or so RPG sessions last year, so it may be something more than GW fuckery.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Clanpot Shake posted:

I don't understand why, but they removed it from their main site to spin up a site for the game all by itself: http://wrath-and-glory.com/ It is not good...

From what I can tell the company isn't hosting a single event at Gencon this year, compared to the W&G soft launch and a dozen or so RPG sessions last year, so it may be something more than GW fuckery.
It's *possible* that the intention was to pass off the game to someone else - I note that the social media links at that page don't actually go to Ulisses' pages but to the Wordpress defaults for the platforms in question. Negotiations with GW to sort that may have stalled. (Someone on their forums passed on screenshots of a conversation with a UNA insider saying that they were in negotiations with GW about the future direction of the line as of the middle of last month.)

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Edit: the dark heresy books have been pulled as well so am guessing they lost the license.

PST fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 15, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Relevant Tangent posted:

That's heavily detabtable.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EverettLO posted:

I'd say they're leaving money on the table leaving a 40k shaped hole in their RPG lines, but if it was due to poor sales then maybe not.

Fading Suns is a 90's 40K/Dune mash up and they own it outright.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

MonsterEnvy posted:

The FFG RPGs are a mess rules-wise, writing-wise, and visual design-wise, so "best possible" is either very strong language or very pessimistic.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

MonsterEnvy posted:

I liked the early version of Inquisitor that was just you're an Inquisitorial warband fighting something have fun. W&G was less fun than RT or OW, to me. I don't think percentile systems are bad.

What would a better version of 40k look like?

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The FFG RPGs are a mess rules-wise, writing-wise, and visual design-wise, so "best possible" is either very strong language or very pessimistic.

To be fair to FFG, they inherited the rules system from GW's own house publisher in Dark Heresy 1e. Each new iteration of the rules under FFG improved on it until it was at least mostly playable.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

What would a better version of 40k look like?

It's hard to make a response to this that doesn't just run down the things FFG's version doesn't do.

Let's just say a mathematically sound, scaling progression system for characters that can support different power levels intelligently would be a good start (it shouldn't be possible to roll a character that can kill any conceivable RAW creature out of the box).

A system to control the acquisition of character resources (money/weapons/items) would also be nice. Any system at all there, really.

When splatbooks get released, they aren't just filled with character options that are obscenely more powerful than the core rulebook material, but expected to exist alongside it.

They could also do things like at the very least playtest their character creation for problems.

I didn't get a crack at W&G, but Warhammer gaming in general could do away with "in-universe" immersion page cutouts that are written in cursive, scroll at an odd angle down the page, and then run through an image filter to destroy any remaining trace of readability.

FFG tries for this bizarre Bad D&D-style simulationism and what you end up with is several hundred pages of a game that is rules-lite, because it's impossible for a human to run it as written. There are many good ideas, but nothing cohesive or simple.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

EverettLO posted:

To be fair to FFG, they inherited the rules system from GW's own house publisher in Dark Heresy 1e. Each new iteration of the rules under FFG improved on it until it was at least mostly playable.

Uh.... No. They fixed a few balance issues and then made all the rest of the balance worse. Combat became instant rocket tag because you could start off with the best equipment in the game instead of starting with low level gear and improving as you became more powerful/valuable. Character creation in Black Crusade is completely hosed up.

Dark Heresy pre-ffg at least had an idea of what it wanted the system to do.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

chin up everything sucks posted:

I think it's more that they decided to build off WFRP because it's what they were familiar with, and it turns out that when you bolt on 40K-style gear rules onto WFRP and adapt it to the setting what you end up with is "Paranoia 40K" - fragile characters, poor odds of success, and a game where you have to work hard to stack the odds in your favour because if you actually get in a fair fight with someone you're likely hosed. "Inquisitorial acolytes" happened to be a niche in the setting which that style fitted reasonably well.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Uh.... No. They fixed a few balance issues and then made all the rest of the balance worse. Combat became instant rocket tag because you could start off with the best equipment in the game instead of starting with low level gear and improving as you became more powerful/valuable. Character creation in Black Crusade is completely hosed up.

1st edition was completely borked too. They decided to stick with the WF engine for 40k for some reason and then busted an otherwise ok system.

Warthur posted:

I think it's more that they decided to build off WFRP because it's what they were familiar with, and it turns out that when you bolt on 40K-style gear rules onto WFRP and adapt it to the setting what you end up with is "Paranoia 40K" - fragile characters, poor odds of success, and a game where you have to work hard to stack the odds in your favour because if you actually get in a fair fight with someone you're likely hosed. "Inquisitorial acolytes" happened to be a niche in the setting which that style fitted reasonably well.

Not really. Thy created almost all of those problems themselves. Why the gently caress would you lower success chances from the level of Warhammer Fantasy?!?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

jakodee posted:

Not really. Thy created almost all of those problems themselves. Why the gently caress would you lower success chances from the level of Warhammer Fantasy?!?
I guess because once they realised that "Inquisitorial acolytes" was a level which WFRP could hit, they decided to dial up the horror by making everyone suckier... despite the fact that WFRP was pretty much already (by deliberate design) "Call of Cthulhu in a D&D world".

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

I went from Rogue Trader to Only War without having played the two games in between. You're right that it was never balanced and I contend that balance was impossible so long as the rules tried to ape the 40k statline. I had a much easier experience with Only War both in character creation and in using the book for a rules reference.

Pre-FFG DH is basically unplayable. All characters make CoC characters look positively superhuman and psychics go beyond dangerous and into the territory of suicidally unfun. You can make the argument that GW intended for this, but I dont believe it. I think they probably intended for it to be more like DH 2e ended up and didn't have the game design chops to make it work.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Further evidence that something's fucky: Warhammer Fest (one of GW's showcase events) happened this last weekend. In a welcome development, they actually gave over some time and space in it for the various Warhammer-related RPGs to be represented.

Reportedly Cubicle 7 were there showing off their latest WFRP stuff and talking up the forthcoming AoS RPG. Ulisses were nowhere to be seen and W&G was pretty much not represented at all.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

I guess because once they realised that "Inquisitorial acolytes" was a level which WFRP could hit, they decided to dial up the horror by making everyone suckier... despite the fact that WFRP was pretty much already (by deliberate design) "Call of Cthulhu in a D&D world".

Which was sad because everybody wanted to play at the level of Abnett's novel characters who were at the least competent.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Dawgstar posted:

Which was sad because everybody wanted to play at the level of Abnett's novel characters who were at the least competent.

Literally keeping the same mechanics from WF and not lowering stats and inflating numbers would have achieved this, albeit on a flatter curve than maybe 40k should exist on.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

jakodee posted:

Literally keeping the same mechanics from WF and not lowering stats and inflating numbers would have achieved this, albeit on a flatter curve than maybe 40k should exist on.

I know that and you know that, but for some reason they wanted to publish Eisenhorn's Follies and later put out a supplement for playing higher XP characters that was even more of a kludge if such things are possible.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

FFG was basically stuck in a really weird place from the beginning. Even the original printing from Black Library was just a mess. The most emblematic thing from it was that you had terrible poo poo-tier weapons that no one ever wanted to use in the same area as the god-killing lascannon. Don't get me wrong, they certainly could have done better by trying to reign in the power gulf and not writing so many fiddly subsystems. But when we're comparing 1d10 Pen 0 to 5d10+10 Pen 10 in a game where you only need 20-30 damage to pop...that's a drat daunting task to deal with.

The saddest thing is that the original DH2E beta had some promise. It was still supremely rough and in need of a lot of design iteration, but with enough work and shutting up of whiny fans who wanted the old system they might have produced something worthwhile. Instead we got the same unstable creation as before, with force hammers as the final sendoff.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's hard to make a response to this that doesn't just run down the things FFG's version doesn't do.

Let's just say a mathematically sound, scaling progression system for characters that can support different power levels intelligently would be a good start (it shouldn't be possible to roll a character that can kill any conceivable RAW creature out of the box).

How would you do this? I don't see a starting character killing one of the Necron centipede monsters in combat.

quote:

A system to control the acquisition of character resources (money/weapons/items) would also be nice. Any system at all there, really.

Rogue Trader has one that works really well? Black Crusade and Only War have them as well.

quote:

When splatbooks get released, they aren't just filled with character options that are obscenely more powerful than the core rulebook material, but expected to exist alongside it.

There are a lot of trap options for characters and that sucks, yeah. I just let the PCs change stuff if it's not fun.

quote:

FFG tries for this bizarre Bad D&D-style simulationism and what you end up with is several hundred pages of a game that is rules-lite, because it's impossible for a human to run it as written. There are many good ideas, but nothing cohesive or simple.

I really feel like d100 +/- XX is a reasonable system. I've been running RT for a couple of years and haven't had to hack together too much. I agree about the legibility stuff, you should be able to read the books you paid for.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

Rogue Trader has one that works really well? Black Crusade and Only War have them as well.

The acquisition system works for RT. You are rich as gently caress and can get anything you want as long as you can find it. In OW and BC it's broken, you can get just about anything not unique at character generation without needing to houserule anything, and after that you basically get anything you want at any time you get to make an acquisition test because a single item is a +30 to your roll...

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Why shouldn't Yorelax the Yodeller (Noise Marine) have a nearly unlimited supply of boring relatively mundane stuff? You're not playing a game about spreadsheets. If it doesn't have a name and legend associated with it then sure they can have it, but do they really want it?

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Single items are only +10 in BC and OW, the +30 is Rogue Trader. Not that BC acquisitions can't be snapped over your knee. God knows you can rip that system in half if you're determined to. Ancient Warrior+Excessive Wealth in particular is just incredibly stupid and makes CSM even more overpowered than they already were.

Anyway RIP Wrath and Glory, it's clearly dead. Honestly the whole system was riddled with bugs and desperately needed splatbook support to get anywhere, and it sounds like they just weren't willing to risk the investment to fix it.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So what are our hopes for a company to do a good version of 40k? I know there's the Fragged Empire unofficial 40k hack that Wade Dyer is doing, which could be alright, but what company do you reckon would have the chops to pull it off.
As a similar sort of question, anyone have any good systems that could be well hacked for 40k? Something like the Year Zero game system?

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Spiteski posted:

So what are our hopes for a company to do a good version of 40k? I know there's the Fragged Empire unofficial 40k hack that Wade Dyer is doing, which could be alright, but what company do you reckon would have the chops to pull it off.
As a similar sort of question, anyone have any good systems that could be well hacked for 40k? Something like the Year Zero game system?

Hm. Hear me out: Maybe the FFG Star Wars system? There's a lot of promise with that system and as a largely narrative-driven game, it could be pretty easily ported into 40k perhaps? There would have to be a lot of house-ruling to create races/bestiary stuff/weapons and the like, but as a base it's got a lot to start with.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

susan posted:

Hm. Hear me out: Maybe the FFG Star Wars system? There's a lot of promise with that system and as a largely narrative-driven game, it could be pretty easily ported into 40k perhaps? There would have to be a lot of house-ruling to create races/bestiary stuff/weapons and the like, but as a base it's got a lot to start with.

I actually played the Age of Rebellion a little while ago with my group and it sorta... fell flat? Might have been our group rather than the system, but it seemed to have zero stakes at any time. Zero tension, zero drama.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Relevant Tangent posted:

Why shouldn't Yorelax the Yodeller (Noise Marine) have a nearly unlimited supply of boring relatively mundane stuff? You're not playing a game about spreadsheets. If it doesn't have a name and legend associated with it then sure they can have it, but do they really want it?

1: There's a resource system
2: Not really, no
1: Well what do you need a resource system for, anyway?!? The resources aren't important!

Like, weird verisimilitude arguments pop up about how space marines and inquisitors and [important cool guy] should have access to all junk because they're too important not to. If the useless junk is not even worth counting or limiting in any way, let's write a game that focuses on what is actually important, because it's clearly not all this poo poo that no one cares enough about to write or use a system for.

This:

quote:

You are rich as gently caress and can get anything you want as long as you can find it

Is not a game system.

And this:

quote:

I just let the PCs change stuff if it's not fun.

Is the trap that D&D fans and a lot of RPG players run headlong into. It's not a positive that you can just change it all on the fly to "make it work." A good game works without you having to gently caress with it constantly.

What I recommend, and I mean this sincerely and not dismissively, is considering a real rules-lite game for your 40K needs, and not taking what is in theory a crunchy system with umpteen books and in practice turning it into Dungeon World. Save yourself the trouble, start with Dungeon World.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I suggest that maybe, _maybe_, having lascannons, a crew served anti-tank weapon, be made to be man-handled by a single acolyte (and not a power-armored Space Marine) is a bit daft.

It's like making a modern game where some investigator dude can be a one-man Javelin team, able to fire an ATGM every turn.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

JcDent posted:

I suggest that maybe, _maybe_, having lascannons, a crew served anti-tank weapon, be made to be man-handled by a single acolyte (and not a power-armored Space Marine) is a bit daft.

It's like making a modern game where some investigator dude can be a one-man Javelin team, able to fire an ATGM every turn.

I mean, did you ever play COD4:MW?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Preechr posted:

I mean, did you ever play COD4:MW?

Yes, and I noticed that it's not a 40K game nor did I have to roll any dice.

The end is a total railroad, tho.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

susan posted:

Someone has been working on that for a while. https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/266319-2nd-edition-in-development-dark-heresy-warhammer-40000-in-genesys-release-thread/

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Spiteski posted:

I think the in development Gumshoe game by Pelgrane Press Swords of the Serpentine would work really well for a Dark Heresey game. It changes up the rules for fighting to make it pulpier and adds a faction system that would work well for 40k.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.cubicle7games.com/cubicle-7-entertainment-to-publish-warhammer-40000-roleplaying/

Mystery has been solved, turns out Cubicle 7 is taking over 40k RPG as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.cubicle7games.com/cubicle-7-entertainment-to-publish-warhammer-40000-roleplaying/

Mystery has been solved, turns out Cubicle 7 is taking over 40k RPG as well.

Huh. Does "The initial range of products will be a revised reprint of the Wrath & Glory Core Rulebook and an extensive range of supplements covering exciting new areas, as well as revisiting beloved old favourites. "

Mean we will also get reprints of the FFG games? Or does it mean expanding beyond the setting for WanG to older settings?