Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mameluke posted:

Movie Bob is not wrong to wish for a world without chuds

I've seen liberals expressing the idea that there's a lot of undue reverence toward the supposedly folksy aspects of both rural and working class America across the political spectrum thanks to persisting cultural myths, and in some ways they're not completely wrong, but in his particular case he's very obviously resenting everyone outside of his cultural bubble.

Also lmao at anyone waxing lyrical at "the Star Trek future". Science-fiction lied to you, Bob, you were never going to space even if Clinton won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Are the people of KIng's Landing coastal elites, or was that only for the first few seasons?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man there just feels like there is too much fallout from last week to cover in a single episode, even if it's a little longer. Even if they wanted to rush to the end and get out of GoT in 8 seasons they could have at least thrown us a bone with and 8 or honestly 10 episode season. Even if the last episode turns out not terrible (lol) it's going to feel extremely rushed an unearned.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ague Proof posted:

Are the people of KIng's Landing coastal elites, or was that only for the first few seasons?

The first few seasons made a big deal out of much it stinks and is generally a sordid shithole. It's a place of huge wealth inequality.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We're right on track for the Star Trek timeline of global economic collapse and then WW3 so I dunno what he's even talking about.

IIRC it was about the 2020s when the Star Trek version of the USA started putting poor and unemployed people into "sanctuary districts" to relegate them away from everyone else.

e: yeah

quote:

Sometime prior to 2024, the Federal Employment Act of 1946 was repealed, which had stated, at least in theory, that the United States government bore the responsibility for ensuring economic stability in the country. Symbolically, this meant that society had washed its hands of responsibility for combating the endemic poverty resulting from a global economic depression.

Sanctuaries also did not provide any meaningful job placement services so that people could find a way out. By 2024, with a bad economy and employment levels at record lows with no end in sight, residents rarely, if ever, obtained the employment opportunities they needed to leave the Sanctuaries, de facto guaranteeing that the "residents" of the Sanctuary Districts remained life-long inhabitants, detained without due process. These inhabitants were often derogatorily referred to as "gimmies" – as in "give me food, shelter, a job, etc." – even by Sanctuary case workers and employees.

sounds right on track to me

The kicker will just be that there are no Vulcans waiting to help us out of our nuclear fallout hellworld on some Posadism and we're just gonna be hosed haha.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 15, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Moridin920 posted:

We're right on track for the Star Trek timeline of global economic collapse and then WW3 so I dunno what he's even talking about.

IIRC it was about the 2020s when the Star Trek version of the USA started putting poor and unemployed people into "sanctuary districts" to relegate them away from everyone else.

The kicker will just be that there are no Vulcans waiting to help us out of our nuclear fallout hellworld on some Posadism and we're just gonna be hosed haha.

lol Star Trek is accelerationist.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

YaketySass posted:

Also lmao at anyone waxing lyrical at "the Star Trek future". Science-fiction lied to you, Bob, you were never going to space even if Clinton won.

I'm always impressed at how various sci-fi futures and their adherents seem to have a selective understandings of physics, economics, and basic biology, among other things. Like people treat science like it is in some game of Civilization where you just accrue enough points and then get some magical innovation.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Moridin920 posted:

we never had doublehitler Khan in the 1990s and there were also a few nuclear strikes in the 1990s.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

we never had doublehitler Khan in the 1990s and there were also a few nuclear strikes in the 1990s.

Eh there was some confusion and retconning anyway though

quote:

When the original series of Star Trek was produced, the 1990s were considered the distant future, and so various elements of the backstory to Star Trek are set in that era, particularly the Eugenics Wars. The references to the Eugenics Wars and to a nuclear war in the 21st century are somewhat contradictory.

Spock calls them "the last of your so-called World Wars," and McCoy identifies this with the Eugenics Wars.

The TNG episode "Encounter at Farpoint" further establishes a "post-atomic horror" on Earth in 2079. However, the movie Star Trek: First Contact put the contact between Vulcans and humans at April 5, 2063.

The Star Trek Concordance identifies the "Bread and Circuses" figure as the death toll for a nuclear World War III, in the mid-21st century. Star Trek: First Contact firmly establishes World War III ended, after a nuclear exchange, in 2053, but with a body count of 600 million.

Either way we're definitely firmly not really in the "spacefaring" years in the Star Trek timeline!

quote:

Zephram Cochrane invents warp drive around 2061

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 15, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I thought the Eugenics wars were in the 1940s

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Star Trek utopia. Remember, it's a star trek utopia.

This is the guy who wrote a book about how Super Mario Bros. 3 changed his life forever

An actual passage from the book posted:

"But the climactic reveal of SMB3 is burned – no, seared – into my memory the way JFK’s assassination was for my parents’ generation… or the way 9/11 would be for mine a scant 12 years from then…"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Star Trek utopia. Remember, it's a star trek utopia.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Xanderkish posted:

Which star wars title are you? Are you more of a

STAR WARS: THE NOUN VERBS
Or maybe a
STAR WARS: NOUN OF THE NOUNS
Or if you're feeling saucy, maybe
STAR WARS: PREDICATE ADJECTIVE NOUN

Ooh, fun.

STAR WARS: THE NIGHTMAN COMETH
STAR WARS: KING OF THE BRITONS
STAR WARS: EXPENSIVE SHLOCK

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

This is the guy who wrote a book about how Super Mario Bros. 3 changed his life forever

Oh that guy :lol::lol: I'm back on board

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How does shouting in YouTube to a dwindling audience about children’s media earn you a better future

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

Calaveron posted:

How does shouting in YouTube to a dwindling audience about children’s media earn you a better future

Ask PewDewPew

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Krinkle posted:

For the last two seasons every dialog was either acknowledging ancient grievances or saying "i have heard of you", coming to loggerheads like there's just no way to see these characters ever seeing eye to eye, then something distracts them suddenly or they cut to another scene and they never bring it up again.

Ah yes samwell tarley i heard you read in a book that dragon glass is good. Hello ma'am I heard you burnt my entire family. Gosh I guess we aren't going to be friends Hey wait everybody there's some poo poo going on in the other room lets never resolve this issue and just kind of forget that we never resolved it.

It's like fan fiction. Fan fiction has people say oh hello optimus prime I heard you are a robot that is a truck. Thank you for saying so, Naruto the ninja. I would love to drive you to the dojo and learn ninja tricks from you and then we can make out.

I mean at least fan fiction has a reason for them meeting. GoT has a reason for shutting them up and just never allowing the next logical step to ever happen.

I'd say the show is even worse than fan fiction at this point. Before season 8 I was really enjoying reading all the weird elaborate fan theories that people were coming up with. Then it just ended up being a letdown. At least fans care about the material.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The writing at this point is just a vehicle to attach cool visuals to. They don't ask 'whats a meaningful character arc and how might that arc be logically explored in the world', they just go 'we want a cool scene where a bunch of lights dwindle out in a wide shot and we realize that an entire army was just wiped out by the night king', and then write random garbage until they get there.

In their defense, some of those scenes are visually stunning, it's too bad they lack any emotional impact at all.

Also the dothraki came back somehow for episode 5, fukkin lol.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 16, 2019

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Agent355 posted:

The writing at this point is just a vehicle to attach cool visuals to. They don't ask 'whats a meaningful character arc and how might that arc be logically explored in the world', they just go 'we want a cool scene where a bunch of lights dwindle out in a wide shot and we realize that an entire army was just wiped out by the night king', and then write random garbage until they get there.

In their defense, some of those scenes are visually stunning, it's too bad they lack any emotional impact at all.

Also the dothraki came back somehow for episode 5, fukkin lol.

In episode 4 Greyworm said they have half of the Dothraki and Unsullied left.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I haven't watched since the end of Season 3 but I am very excited to see how this finale shits the bed.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

In episode 4 Greyworm said they have half of the Dothraki and Unsullied left.

Oh yeah, a single line of dialogue is definitely enough to make up for a very clear 'entirely wiped out' set piece that was very clearly shown. Totally covered.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Agent355 posted:

Oh yeah, a single line of dialogue is definitely enough to make up for a very clear 'entirely wiped out' set piece that was very clearly shown. Totally covered.

I'm just saying that the show addressed it. It's not like they showed 80k Dothraki and 8k Unsullied on the field ready to get killed in episode 3.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
movie bob is a bigger (because he is a fat gently caress you see) retard than GOT season 8. really makes you think

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
At this point I feel like the only redeeming twist that would completely turn me around on the season would be something like this:

1. Bran either warged into Dany and burnt King's Landing himself, or put a domino trail into effect that he knew would push Dany to the brink only so he could whisper in her ear "burn them all" and make her go crazy.
2. It had to be Dany because she has some destiny ahead of herself to go back to Essos, and now that she's Westeros's Greatest Mass Murderer (or at least believed to be), she has no chance of ruling.
3. She had to die because you lose something from yourself whenever you die and are brought back, and the part she'd lose would be her latent Targaryen Madness.
4. It had to be Jon who killed her because he's the only person who, when Bran said "lol I did it not Dany" and told him "you've gotta bring her back idiot" would actually feel honor-bound enough to do it.
5. Dany gets brought back and is basically now 'purified.'
6. Given that she can't rule Westeros now since the entire loving continent despises her, she goes back to Essos with her army and Drogon and sets about liberating slaves and slowly building up her own country, then discovers dragon eggs and such and boom, Valyria starts getting reborn.
7. If Jon survives, he's so livid at getting manipulated like that and realizes that Bran isn't really Bran anymore, so he says 'gently caress this all, I'm out too.' and either goes North to chill with Tormund and Ghost, or goes with Dany to be with her.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I am looking forward to the dumb series finale of Game of Thrones :)

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

IIRC it doesn't show all the dothraki dying. You could see some routed dothraki running back to friendly lines alongside jorah after the charge. I'm sure a bunch of them just went gently caress it and fled the battlefield altogether after what they had just seen. It still wouldnt be enough for 50% of their entire force though.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Ivan Shitskin posted:

IIRC it doesn't show all the dothraki dying. You could see some routed dothraki running back to friendly lines alongside jorah after the charge. I'm sure a bunch of them just went gently caress it and fled the battlefield altogether after what they had just seen. It still wouldnt be enough for 50% of their entire force though.

If you brighten the scene you see a lot more Dothraki getting the gently caress to safety. If you assume it was along the entire front line, not hard to imagine a good chunk of them survived, but I agree 50% of ANY of their forces surviving is stretching it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Sky Shadowing posted:

If you brighten the scene you see a lot more Dothraki getting the gently caress to safety. If you assume it was along the entire front line, not hard to imagine a good chunk of them survived, but I agree 50% of ANY of their forces surviving is stretching it.

Why did D&D go on their behind the scenes thing and say that eps 3 was the end of the Dothraki when they knew full well it wasn't lol.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

Why did D&D go on their behind the scenes thing and say that eps 3 was the end of the Dothraki when they knew full well it wasn't lol.

They kind of forgot about later episodes.

Also competency.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Thom12255 posted:

Because they're not trying to give insight into their creative process. They just dictate what they just showed you. They showed the Dothraki being annihilated. So that's what they told you.

They're really bad at what they do, but you can blame the spazlords who watched The Walking Dead for this sort of nonsense recap.

Why they continue this trend is beyond me.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Because it lets them sell more ad time and/or bumps viewership numbers. Also western consumers have been socialized to expect explanations for every aspect of their entertainment and having a vehicle that allows the creators to do so directly and explicitly on their terms lets them off the hook when it comes to doing so where it should actually be - the product.

On that note, and I know we're never going to get an answer, but if Arya killed the NK then why did the NK stare at Jon like his long-lost nemesis every time they were in the same vicinity? It makes no sense.

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

because he's verified and makes 4k a month on patreon

Is making $4k a month before taxes, self employed, suppose to be impressive?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SA Forums Poster posted:

When you get it for being an idiot who talks about video games and movies with startlingly dumb hot takes, yeah.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Depends on the amount of time you invest in it.

Preston is making apparently 1.5k on Patreon (I don't remember seeing ads in his youtube channel) and it doesn't seem like he's putting mroe than 10 hours a week into the whole thing, maybe more when the seasons air, I don't know.

But preston owns so maybe it's not the same.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

SA Forums Poster posted:

I'd be happy to make 4k a month before taxes.
- A Nurse

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

SA Forums Poster posted:

Sounds nice to me, especially for talking about nerd poo poo online and nothing else

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

SA Forums Poster posted:

Good job turning this doofus' dumb tweets into a post about income shaming

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's very impressive when you're a valueless idiot.

Also what even is the "climactic reveal" of Super Mario Bros 3? Is there a cutscene I've forgotten about where Bowser shows his Mario huge dino dong?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't think anyone is saying that $48,000/yr is a laughable sum, just that so many other valueless idiots earn way more on the platform. Patreon is a constantly baffling parade of "wait, that is who people want to pledge their money to?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

porfiria posted:

Also what even is the "climactic reveal" of Super Mario Bros 3? Is there a cutscene I've forgotten about where Bowser shows his Mario huge dino dong?

Probably the end of The Wizard if I had to guess. NGL I saw that movie years after Mario 3 came out and that part is still very memorable for some weird reason.