Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Stop cancelling good but low selling comics and make them all digital, you cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm curious how the digital-first series did.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im just so tired

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm curious how the digital-first series did.

Not good enough seeing as they were all cancelled.

Wasp is really good but very obviously is one of those books that's going to have a lower readership and it deals with enough mature themes that it can't be considered a true kid's title like a Moon Girl or something. So while it sucks I can't say I'm surprised. I think Moon Girl is one of the only books that sells less than Wasp actually.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 13, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

quote:

Wasp is really good but very obviously is one of those books that's going to have a lower readership and it deals with enough mature themes that it can't be considered a true kid's title like a Moon Girl or something. So while it sucks I can't say I'm surprised. I think Moon Girl is one of the only books that sells less than Wasp actually.
I'm guessing that as of May even that won't be the case.

10/18: Wasp #1 (17,293) / Moon Girl #36 (7,110) (next lowest selling Marvel book: Squirrel Girl with 8,682)
11/18: Wasp #2 (9,475) / Moon Girl #37 (6,553) (next lowest selling Marvel book: Squirrel Girl with 8,298)
12/18: Wasp #3 (7,737) / Moon Girl #38 (6,502) (next lowest selling Marvel book: Squirrel Girl with 9,464)
01/19: Wasp #4 (6,613) / Moon Girl #39 (5,878) (next lowest selling Marvel book: Squirrel Girl with 8,257)
02/19: Wasp #5 (5,862) / Moon Girl #40 (5,599) (next lowest selling Marvel book: Squirrel Girl with 7,990)
03/19: Wasp Skip Month / Moon Girl #41 (5,516) (next lowest selling Marvel book: Squirrel Girl with 8,052)
04/19: Wasp #6 (5,577) / Moon Girl #42 (5,487) (next lowest selling Marvel book: Runaways with 9,241)

The only other mainline Marvel books to drop below 10,000 preorders in the past seven months are Iceman, Shatterstar, Exiles, Marvel Comics Presents, Runaways, and Killmonger.

The weirdest thing I found looking this up is that somewhere people are reordering enough reprints of early issues of Immortal Hulk (which is already available as a trade and as discounted single issues on Comixology and as part of Marvel Unlimited) in quantities sufficient to put it ahead of Moon Girl and/or Wasp some months.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Moon Girl apparently has some kind of scholastic thing going that keeps it in print even with low numbers doesn't it? I mean it's 40+ issues and has been a bottom feeder for a long time.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

X-O posted:

Moon Girl apparently has some kind of scholastic thing going that keeps it in print even with low numbers doesn't it? I mean it's 40+ issues and has been a bottom feeder for a long time.
It does solid sales outside of the direct market. It's also a situation where if it's established as a series you can be more confident that Moon Girl v9 is going to sell in a way that you can't guarantee with Wasp v2 or whatever. This is also why Squirrel Girl has lasted so long.

If you look at Bookscan (which tracks bookstore sales) the only Marvel books that ended up cracking the Top 750 for 2017 were:
1) A bunch of Star Wars books
2) Books with strong movie tie-ins (Deadpool, Old Man Logan, Infinity Gauntlet/Infinity War, World War Hulk, TNC's Black Panther)
3) Squirrel Girl, Moon Girl, Ms. Marvel

The other thing about sales is that they're relative to where the book is in its run. If it takes Book A 30-40 issues to gently drift down to a certain point but another book is there in half a year, the concern is that the basement for the latter book is even lower. There have historically been a lot of books that run forever if they can find a sufficiently consistent (albeit small) audience, this is why for instance Peter David got to write like 100+ issues of X-Factor while younger books or that era with similar numbers got swiftly canceled.

None of this is a knock on the short-lived books or praise for the long-lasting books, just the calculus publishers use.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 13, 2019

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
Man, I'll miss Wasp AND West Coast Avengers.

I guess people don't want fun light hearted comics...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Principal Hellmann posted:

"Can we interest you in this trashfire called X-Men?" - Marvel

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Principal Hellmann posted:

It's always sad when they cut my pull list for me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Too bad about MCP selling poorly. I like those anthology books. I know it’s a small group of us who like that stuff though.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/ComicBook/status/1128329134483038208

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He confirms, as most of us expected, that he's writing the flagship X-Men book that comes out of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

From a week or so ago, but pretty cool:

https://twitter.com/JimZub/status/1125038464729219072

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Does Champions really need legacy numbering?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
https://sktchd.com/longform/annihilation-oral-history/

An oral history of Annihilation, aka Marvel's Best Event Comic Ever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
jeremy's new book is future foundation minus val and franklin

https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/1128376771613745153

tbh i cant really bring myself to care

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who is Jeremy Whitley

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
the writer for wasp

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

Moloids and Dragon Man > Val and Franklin.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i didnt read ff for dragon man lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can get down with more Bentley.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Shoulda called it Future Pack or Power Foundation.

edit: Fuckin' speaking of...
https://twitter.com/Newsarama/status/1128397593443217408

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 14, 2019

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

site posted:

https://twitter.com/ComicBookNOW/status/1128376771613745153

The new Wasp and Moon Girl seem like perfect candidates for the Future Foundation.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

So basically they hired Hickman to lowkey start writing the material that will integrate the X-Men into the MCU.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

^burtle posted:

So basically they hired Hickman to lowkey start writing the material that will integrate the X-Men into the MCU.

It seems a bit weird and rooted in history for that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cant believe after 50 years theyre finally revealing mutants first started showing up as a result of infinity gauntlet

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Aphrodite posted:

He confirms, as most of us expected, that he's writing the flagship X-Men book that comes out of it.

Oh. Good.
But I made a lot of promises to a lot of various devils for this that I'm just plain not able to fulfill.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Well, if you insist. And I'm down for Whitley writing half of Power Pack, too.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Future Foundation, Power Pack team up.

Each with their own copies of the power kids.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Cool, I was just bitching about Louise Simonson not being in the Marvel #1000 thing.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I’ll give anything Whitley does a chance.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
immortal hulk never fails to make me go :stonk: at least once an issue

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Spider-Man Life Story continues to own. Got some real gut punches, and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Especially when this is the variant cover for the next issue:
https://mobile.twitter.com/7ThWonderComics/status/1128700495080710144

As does ASM. They're actually continuing to address and acknowledge Shed and still getting good story moments out of it. The bit where Curt talks about the responibilities of parenthood is another piece of circumstantial evidence I'm adding to my 'the centidemon is Baby May' theory. :tinfoil:

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Hulk is at his most terrifying when he isn’t punching guys. I kinda hope we just get Devil Hulk forever.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

TheHan posted:

Hulk is at his most terrifying when he isn’t punching guys. I kinda hope we just get Al Ewing on Hulk forever.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

Spider-Man Life Story continues to own. Got some real gut punches, and I'm excited to see where it goes.

To honour how awesome that cover is I'm going to buy fifty copies and keep them as investments to retire with years from now.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I would be super into giving Ewing a run that outlast's David's.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

Yvonmukluk posted:

As does ASM. They're actually continuing to address and acknowledge Shed and still getting good story moments out of it. The bit where Curt talks about the responibilities of parenthood is another piece of circumstantial evidence I'm adding to my 'the centidemon is Baby May' theory. :tinfoil:

Wouldn't it be the Renew Your Vows daughter?

Either way the daughter you effectively sold to the devil would definitely have an axe to grind, it's the best theory I've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Spider-Man life story is a better watchmen crossover than doomsday clock