Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

KingKapalone posted:

Wow lots of info, thanks.

How far out does this perimeter wall go? I assume I'll keep expanding but If I put it too far out there's probably too much open land between the wall and my current home zone. Do you put random doors in around the wall?

You want to give yourself room to put in 1-2 more buildings or expand your fields. Mostly the limitation here is labor and resources; eventually curtain wall segments might become part of your defenses but for now you want it done as cheaply and rapidly as possible.

And yeah, doors spaced out. When raiders come they will punch doors first, you can pop through flanking doors and get some shots in before they get to cover. Make sure you remove your outer walls from the Home zone so pawns won't come tidy your firebreak.

KingKapalone posted:

I have my different rooms all touching each other at this point. Would the insulation just be needed on the exterior most walls then?

Getting some muffalo sounds like a fun addition. Not sure if winter will get that cold, but since it's Fall it might be too late to get some hay going.

I don't know anything about trading right now. A caravan came to visit and I sold some stuff, but since I didn't feel compelled to buy anything I didn't really know the need for Silver.

In order: yep outer walls only; use Vents inside to distribute heat to adjacent rooms.

If you have one or two and surplus food you can probably manage it. Keep an eye on your food and don't hesitate to slaughter them for more food if required. You can also see what the winter will be like and tame/breed more muffalo as you think you can support them. Hay keeps for like a year inside at room temperature, so you don't need a hay freezer or anything weird.

For visiting caravans I tend to sell excess food first, if it's a merchant type which likes to eat. Drugs are on the table too but I reserve those low-weight high-value goods for sending out. A single dude with 150 or so joints in a backpack can bring back components, medicine, a little food, and/or enough silver to floor your hospital in sterile tile, and has a very low profile on the world map; you can probably get that from your first smokeleaf harvest in year 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Keeshhound posted:

Paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaste

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Once established my colonies tend to use paste for day-to-day stuff and keep good meals around for special occasions like someone getting hacked to bits in a raid or a pet dropping over dead from heart attack or two people getting in to a fight or a sacrifice to C'thulhu gone wrong or a spooky fog event or...

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Why hasn't there been a mod for fancy flavored paste using chocolate yet?

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Same reason why the pinnacle of vanilla lighting technology is the shadeless ground lamp.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Average Bear posted:

Same reason why the pinnacle of vanilla lighting technology is the shadeless ground lamp.

We got mods for wall lamps to fix that though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Krio Gnosz posted:

Colonists will walk off to have a meal when their nutrition is at 0.3, even tho they can only hold 1.0 nutrition and most meals have 0.9 nutrition. Micromanaging this, to prevent waste, is the single most annoying thing in the game for me right now. Is there a mod that fixes this, for example by splitting meals into portions of 0.45 or even less, or ordering people to only eat at 0.1?

Pemmican? It is smaller portions, so I assume they just eat the amount they need?

Danaru posted:

But for real nutrient paste is objectively the right choice if you dont care about minmaxing moodlets. When you've got a couple farms going a fine meal can go a long way to making people forget about their dead friends though

Even if you are using fine meals, having a paste dispenser is a good backup in case your cook falls behind or lands in the hospital. Otherwise people just grab random raw foods and start chowing down without even brushing the dirt off.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
How do you guys deal with raider corpses? My carnivores tend to munch on my lavish meals instead of eating in the corpse freezer, so I started turning the bodies into kibble (good for herbivores who are locked inside too). But then this leaves me with a problem of all their worn junk. Its all tainted so I use a medieval mod tailor bench to turn it back into whatever material its made out of. Managed to get some hyperweave this way. But this takes forever after huge raids. So I started putting their wooded armor and masks, along with any socks and boots into a napalm furnace that I turn on when it gets full. But this honestly feels wasteful and takes a bit of microing to set up the napalm each time. Is there a better way besides just more tailor benches and junk stockpiles?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Leave it outside to rot if it is more than x lovely or y broken is what I do. If someone comes by who wants to buy that type of poo poo you can sell it for pennies from any stockpile not just one in a nice barn.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Average Bear posted:

How do you guys deal with raider corpses? My carnivores tend to munch on my lavish meals instead of eating in the corpse freezer, so I started turning the bodies into kibble (good for herbivores who are locked inside too). But then this leaves me with a problem of all their worn junk. Its all tainted so I use a medieval mod tailor bench to turn it back into whatever material its made out of. Managed to get some hyperweave this way. But this takes forever after huge raids. So I started putting their wooded armor and masks, along with any socks and boots into a napalm furnace that I turn on when it gets full. But this honestly feels wasteful and takes a bit of microing to set up the napalm each time. Is there a better way besides just more tailor benches and junk stockpiles?

Dumping ground for the corpses in a fireproofed area + a Molotov or incendiary launcher you occasionally conscript someone to grab and toast the pile?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tarp zone.

Everything in the zone is under a tarp.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Archenteron posted:

Dumping ground for the corpses in a fireproofed area + a Molotov or incendiary launcher you occasionally conscript someone to grab and toast the pile?

I used an electric furnace mod for a while that added heaters that generated thousands of degrees of heat. Stuck them under a hollowed out hill with a stone door, and used it as my incinerator. Fill it with junk, lock the door, and flip the switch.

It was honestly pretty fun and I recommend it.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Archenteron posted:

That's basically what my napalm furnace is, though it works via a switch that activates the spilled napalm inside. I just see a corpse and I want to make use of every part of the buffalo so to speak. Its just doing so can take a while.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Average Bear posted:

I don't know if it's better, but I use a campfire set to burn tainted clothing. Whoever has hauling jobs will burn it.

Alternately you can keep your corpses in a freezer and use zones to assign puppies, piglets or other immature carnivores to live in the freezer. If they eat the whole corpse they eat the clothes too.

Or you can download a mod that encourages better food choices so carnivores preferentially eat human corpses. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887716138

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or you can download a mod that encourages better food choices so carnivores preferentially eat human corpses. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=887716138

You know I was using that mod but stopped because it wasn't working too well. It worked fine for animals, but prisoners kept getting fed cannibal nutrient paste meals despite being told to get fed simple meals via the vanilla preferences and the mod's.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Or you could always do a gimmick run where you bury all the dead in graveyards. Haha, just kidding, that would be crazy.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The raiders, killed by traps, and all their junk goes into my swamp where it deteriorates and one day returns as a tree which gets harvested to set more traps.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Facebook Aunt posted:

Or you could always do a gimmick run where you bury all the dead in graveyards. Haha, just kidding, that would be crazy.

You'd fill up a map very quickly.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Yeah seriously burying the dead is actually crazy later on lol

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Facebook Aunt posted:

I don't know if it's better, but I use a campfire set to burn tainted clothing. Whoever has hauling jobs will burn it.
I dump it in the river. It deteriorates much faster that way.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010
I ban animals from the kitchen. Then I have a large freezer that only animals and bloodlust/psychos are allowed in that holds the bodies. It's outside my base next to the killbox and during the winter I turn the coolers off and open the door to wildlife as well. If it gets too full I Molotov to make some room.

The biggest issue is hauling them so I tend to burn any dense clumps and then the leftovers go the the freezer.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What's the best all rounder animal to tame? Huskys are easy to get a bunch of but I can't stand seeing them die to turret fire or having to slaughter their puppies. Bears are cool and strong and can haul. Thrumbos eat too much.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Muffaloes for wool/milk/caravans, chickens for eggs and defense hilarity. Then I wild card in boars or a large-ish dog breed for automatic hauling. Long term I usually end up with a heavily reinforced and isolated stable of boomalopes because a mod I use lets them produce neutroamine with some work.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I thought boars didn’t haul anymore.

I usually have dogs (labs or huskies), muffalos, alpacas or camels, and a few special caravan animals. I use Dinosauria and Megafauna mods, so generally that means triceratops, brontos/diplodocus, or a single large carnivore since I prefer my animals to be herbivores on caravans.

Keeping up training on hauling animals with high wildness is annoying when you’ve got lots of animals. Your trainers spend time chasing them around until you stick the animal into a limited zone.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Boars dont haul anymore no. They used to be my all in one animal too. Starting to like bears and wargs though. Both haul and make good mounts, plus the wargs help clean up after a fight.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Average Bear posted:

Boars dont haul anymore no. They used to be my all in one animal too. Starting to like bears and wargs though. Both haul and make good mounts, plus the wargs help clean up after a fight.

Dogs have the advantage that they don't produce 'filth' indoors. Wild animals all do.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, I prefer having huskies over wolves or wargs not only because of the ability to feed them anything, but the nuzzle factor and decreased frequency of re-training needed.

Then, with the Smarter Food Selection mod (I've not run into the issue of colonists feeding cannibal paste meals to prisoners), my dogs only eat corpses anyway. Extended Storage (I think that's what adds it...) adding the Corpse Locker means I can have a dedicated freezer for corpses packed with a storage solution that doesn't make my colonists mad when they go inside it.

Then I get to picture huskies pulling open drawers with their teeth so their puppies can feed on corpses. :3:

Is your prison one big complex, or a bunch of separate rooms? I've tried the separate rooms thing, and I don't think I like it. In one big room I'll stick a stack of pemmican on the ground for the prisoners to get up and eat themselves. When I get fancy, I may stick a 1 stack fridge in there, and that mod also added a freezer that counts as a wall, so could even fill from the outside.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

This or a marsh will significantly accelerate deterioration, yes. So the moral is to throw your used raider corpses into the ocean, it's perfectly legal, those dicks at the incinerator don't want you to know that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ShadowHawk posted:

Presumably the people upstream are also throwing corpses in the river. No wonder everyone is sick all the time!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've done this a few times... after a big raid I've stripped then loaded all the corpses into a pair of brontosauruses and all my male herbivore caravan animals, assigned my two psychopath cooking pawns, and shipped them with 2 butcher tables to the next tiles over to make a camp, drop some wake-up + psychoid tea, and spend two days butchering them all so nobody gets an opinion or social malus.

Then they mysteriously show back up with a thousand+ human leather and a few thousand human meat and everyone's like, "hey, we can make loads of kibble out of this that's great."

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, I prefer having huskies over wolves or wargs not only because of the ability to feed them anything, but the nuzzle factor and decreased frequency of re-training needed.

How do you deal with the mental strain of seeing them get killed or having to put puppy explosions down

Also does this happen to anyone else? Random surgery orders get placed on random colonists pretty rarely. Recently I apparently gave the order to neuter a colonist despite never touching the menu for surgery. Weeks before a colonist had his kidney removed. I put it back in but people were pissed for weeks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Puppy population explosions are a fantastic time to get free medical experience.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Average Bear posted:

How do you deal with the mental strain of seeing them get killed or having to put puppy explosions down

Also does this happen to anyone else? Random surgery orders get placed on random colonists pretty rarely. Recently I apparently gave the order to neuter a colonist despite never touching the menu for surgery. Weeks before a colonist had his kidney removed. I put it back in but people were pissed for weeks.

I call up an ally to bring a trader through so I can sell the puppies. I generally don't have puppy explosions before I've fairly well secured my food supply, and if things are getting rough, usually Randy sends a raid or two through to keep the dogs fed. I've not let my dogs get to starvation once I've got a few, when it's looking things are going that way I'm sending caravans off everywhere.

Rimworld to me is a story generator, so bad things happen. I'm a veterinarian so I've already dealt with death of animals loads of times before, so losing one in combat, to disease, or old age ain't nothing new (and a video game, at that). Your milage will certainly vary. I can't click the "slaughter" button for the Labs or Huskies... Yorkies and cats, oddly enough, I'm okay clicking the button (I zoom out after I click slaughter and move off into a corner of the map until I see their numbers are gone). I've kept a de-spined dog on a comfy bed in the main Rec Room for over a year until I could secure a bionic animal part to replace it.

And holy poo poo to random surgeries, wtf is going on in your colony?

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Keeshhound posted:

You'd fill up a map very quickly.

I just use the mass graves mod, which personally I feel is pretty realistic. 20 bodies per 4x4 grave dig.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Why would you waste corpses like that, they're precious petfood.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Facebook Aunt posted:

Alternately you can keep your corpses in a freezer and use zones to assign puppies, piglets or other immature carnivores to live in the freezer. If they eat the whole corpse they eat the clothes too.

Oh man. I came to the thread to ask for exactly this sort of thing. Giving prisoners and sick animals lavish meals is crazy. Thank you.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Teaching animals to prefer human flesh seems like something that could backfire.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Did you know? Firing a Doomsday Rocket at 200+ bugs will solve your bug problem in exchange for a fire problem! Hope your sprinkler system can stop your mountain base from becoming a loving oven!!!

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

If you have a freezer room only your hauler dogs have access to, they’ll haul the bodies to it and have access to eat them. This your colonists never get the “saw a corpse” or “butchered a human corpse” moodlets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Wow I certainly haven't reached the point in the game where I have to become as sadistic as you people. How do I get dogs? I started with one but a bear ate that real fast.