Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So how did the cabinets latch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Latching drawers are a waste of time.

In my news, I spent a lot of time finding the best deal on a big spool of welding wire. I put it in today and apparently past me decided I wanted .035 instead of .030, I guess if I'm going to weld sheet metal now I'm forced to step down to the .025 that I have never used. That must have been my justification but also why didn't I order tips!?

Also can't wait to fire it up again and run out of gas thanks to Murphys law.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

StormDrain posted:

Latching drawers are a waste of time.

Look at Mr Cool Guy with the level floor, and no coworkers to foil with your locked toolbox.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Big Taint posted:

Look at Mr Cool Guy with the level floor, and no coworkers to foil with your locked toolbox.

Actually the floor isn't level but at least it's in my favor. Drawers are never left open by default.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Whoever recommended those canvas tool bags, thanks. They are awesome. I can fit more in my main tool bag because they lay flat, even full of sockets and wrenches.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I just learned that there are rubber pads that you can slip over the top of jackstands. I've always been a little nervous because my stands have vertical ribs on the sides and I can't always put them where those keep the lift point locked in, so the car ends up sitting on the relatively thin ribs where I'm afraid of it slipping.

So are the pads good bad or other?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have them for my HF stands. I guess they mitigate damaging the jack points but I always forget to put them on.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I literally use 2x4s to take the weight and place it onto a jack. I have junk wood all over the place so I can't beat free.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I have some leftover rubber mat bits that are pretty thin that I slip between just to avoid the metal on metal.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What is the difference between XZN and torx?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Wikipedia has a good run down.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

revmoo posted:

What is the difference between XZN and torx?

XZN has twelve points in the configuration of 3 squares

Torx has 5 points

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Torx has six points.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Don’t forget about double hex bits!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Torx has six points.

not security torx plus or pentalobe :eng101:

all mac computers are pentalobe, BMW uses some security torx plus

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That’s security Torx Plus®.

The security version of Torx classic just has a pin in the middle and it’s your duty to snap that bitch out so normal drivers will work on it.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Thanks for this!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was scrapping stuff and came across these beauties the other day.

6 point, extremely rounded, straight evil poo poo, it stopped me from taking the stuff apart

for like 4 seconds before i just closed the chuck of the drill right on the screw head and fired them out.

That night i had a nightmare where i was trying to fix my old bmw but all the screws were like this.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Powershift posted:

...i just closed the chuck of the drill right on the screw head and fired them out.

:aaaaa: Motherfucker, that's clever [added to mental toolbox]

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beach Bum posted:

:aaaaa: Motherfucker, that's clever [added to mental toolbox]

Since this is the tool thread, there's a tool that is basically a 3-jaw chuck that's left-hand threaded (so it tightens the chuck as you crank on the fastener in the "loosen" direction) and is intended for impact guns. I have one, but haven't had the occasion to use it yet.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Raluek posted:

Since this is the tool thread, there's a tool that is basically a 3-jaw chuck that's left-hand threaded (so it tightens the chuck as you crank on the fastener in the "loosen" direction) and is intended for impact guns. I have one, but haven't had the occasion to use it yet.

Now that you've posted this, we're all impatiently waiting for you to deliberately gently caress something up so you can use that poo poo and report back.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Anybody have a recommendation for a floor jack that can handle something with a 4 inch lift?

I need to redo my suspension, and would rather not use the tipsy wood block of doom again.

Edit: just measured it, frame is 20.5 in off ground. Any suggestions for a long reach floor jack?

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 02:45 on May 22, 2019

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Harbor Freight Daytona, the original yellow one has more lift range than just about anything else. Don't know about all the new orange / other colored ones.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

If your jack has suitable holes in the lifting surface, you could weld a plate to some square tubing and bolt it to the jack. Just guessing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mustache Ride posted:

Anybody have a recommendation for a floor jack that can handle something with a 4 inch lift?

I need to redo my suspension, and would rather not use the tipsy wood block of doom again.

Edit: just measured it, frame is 20.5 in off ground. Any suggestions for a long reach floor jack?

The geometry of a floor jack is not in your favor for this task, I couldn't do it with mine on the frame. I usually jacked up on the axles to get it up high enough and used a jack stand on the frame to keep it there. I know that doesn't work as well if you don't have two solid axles. Bumper mount high lift jack, or rent a bay in a garage with a two post. Or buy a 6x8 wood post and cut some substantial blocks.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I do have solid axels, was planning on getting something that could lift the frame to put on jack stands, then use the floor jack to lift the axel and replace the shocks that have failed. Shouldn't be all that difficult if I can find a floor jack that can lift the beast.

Thanks for the Daytona, appears to be a $600 cheaper version of the snapon, so it looks like a winner.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You could always stick cribbing under the jack, or stick a 4x4 in the cup. Bottle jacks have a bunch of initial height, but I've never been a fan of the small foot print. The only other options are a high lift like what offroaders use or a low rise/scissor lift with cribbing.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

I do have solid axels, was planning on getting something that could lift the frame to put on jack stands, then use the floor jack to lift the axel and replace the shocks that have failed. Shouldn't be all that difficult if I can find a floor jack that can lift the beast.

Thanks for the Daytona, appears to be a $600 cheaper version of the snapon, so it looks like a winner.
As StormDrain pointed out, then - it’s much easier to lift by the axles to get the frame high enough to put stands under. I mean, by all means, get the Daytona, but don’t do this the hard way :)

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 22, 2019

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
When I have to jack my jeep up and leave the axles loose, I lift it by the axles and use tall jackstands on the frame. 4" lift and 33" tires, I can get a five gallon bucket under the oil pan, for reference on how high it is.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I gotta say, my $90 harbor freight FCAW box is a marginal welder, but it’s a loving primo bearing race remover. I spent at least 20 minutes trying to beat the first race out my trailer’s drums. The other there took about 5 minutes. Laid a couple of beads and I barely had to tap em before they fell to the floor.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm very happy with my HF FC welder. I just use it without gas and it works fine.

I'm sure a Hobart puts on silky smooth beads but whatever, this works for me.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

revmoo posted:

I'm very happy with my HF FC welder. I just use it without gas and it works fine.

I'm sure a Hobart puts on silky smooth beads but whatever, this works for me.

I think no matter what the welder you really want is the next better one. I love my Hobart 140 and got a great deal on it. Would be nice to have a Miller though with more power settings.

Just like air compressors.

Also the step up to gas was very nice, but I just laid a decent bead with Flux last month, and a little scraping cleared the spatter up fine.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it’s fit for the purpose I have, welding tabs and brackets on my trailer and fixing poo poo with the metal hot glue gun. But any time I think about it I want to rectify it, replace it with a MIG or TIG setup depending on the day.
‘Luckily’ I have neither the funds nor the space for all the brakes, shear and other shaping tools I would also need to make anything more than the hacky stuff I’m doing right now so I forget about it.

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010

Does anyone know of true JIS crosshead drivers? I'm looking at Vessel but people are saying they are no longer true JIS, that they hybridized them to work with both JIS and Phillips.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

UnderToad posted:

Does anyone know of true JIS crosshead drivers? I'm looking at Vessel but people are saying they are no longer true JIS, that they hybridized them to work with both JIS and Phillips.

I think Sunflag still makes JIS tools.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a hozan ball handle one that works great, but I bought it a few years ago so if mfgs are changing them for some stupid reason who knows.

UnderToad
Mar 3, 2010
Will check both of those out,

thanks!

Sgt Fox
Dec 21, 2004

It's the buzzer I love the most. Makes me feel alive. Makes the V8's dead.
Hozan makes the ones I have. They work well:
https://www.amazon.ca/Hozan-JIS-5-JIS-Screwdriver-Gen/dp/B003F63WI8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=hozan+jis&qid=1558809421&s=gateway&sr=8-1

They make a little stubby too, which has come in handy:
https://www.amazon.ca/Hozan-D-69-St...DW7RBEZ1PBH9YA0

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Just wanted to request a few seconds of silence. I lost a 6 point deep 10mm socket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Any recommendations for socket sets? Regular depth, 6pt, SAE and metric. For regular home mechanic work. Nothing extreme.