Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I just use the TV app to search for what I wanna watch and see if it happens to be on any of the apps I have access to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
a good use of the TV app: for a lot of movies, it shows you which channel apps carry them instead of just redirecting you to the iTunes Store to buy/rent. For example, if you select Mad Max Fury Road, it'll show that it's available to watch for free on the TNT and TBS apps

of course, it's more frustrating for me because loving Xfinity doesn't support SSO

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

curried lamb of God posted:

of course, it's more frustrating for me because loving Xfinity doesn't support SSO
It doesn’t? poo poo.

Does launching through the TV app still work if you sign into every individual channel app?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So for the most part, apps are cooperating with SSO which is nice.

Is there a way to see some sort of list of all the shows I have in my 'Up Next' I want to prune it but I can't really find a efficient way to do this.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Hey, steamlink is available on AppleTV now. IOS too.

Not sure I want to run and buy a new controller but it’s neat to have hardware more powerful than a traditional steamlink.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snuffman posted:

Hey, steamlink is available on AppleTV now. IOS too.

Not sure I want to run and buy a new controller but it’s neat to have hardware more powerful than a traditional steamlink.

e: poo poo wrong device thread

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Nice I can get rid of my Steamlink now. All I have left are my Switch and a DVD player. I regret buying all these DVDs since they seem to be cluttering up my console. Maybe I should just take a day and rip them all into a hard drive.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Steamlink is cool but the sad truth is that I don’t have a gaming PC and my Mac that has steam on it is old enough that the ATV is probably better for running games than it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Finally a use for the Steel Series MFi controller I bought forever ago!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

:same:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Unfortunately the Nimbus controller is real loving bad and I hate it. My PC is next room from the living room so I ended just pairing a PS4 controller directly to the PC and using that once I open up Steam Link in my living room.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Endless Mike posted:

I got mine a while back with Minecraft for apple tv which is now discontinued :negative: I used to be able to play with my kid with him on an ipad and me on ATV.

It was a great price at least.

Interested to try Oxygen Not Included on ATV/iPad finally!

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
I will take everyone's word that Steamlink works for them, but I think it's a real kludge and typical clunky Windows software.

1. Downloaded it and set it up on an iPad. Trying to run it, it tells me I have run Steam somewhere, fair enough.
2. Started up Steam on a Mac.
3. Tried to run Steamlink. Tells me I need to install a driver for a Gamepad on the Mac.
4. Set this up in Steam.
5. Tried to run Steamlink. Tells me I need to install an audio driver on the Mac.
6. Set this up in Steam.
7. Tried to run Steamlink. Steam interface comes up on the iPad. I select Half-Life 2. Lo and behold, my iPad continues to show me part of the display Steam runs on. The game never shows up. The end.

Nicely done, very interesting. Maybe it's having an issue with me having more than one display, since only trillionaires have this or something. I don't care to investigate all possible angles.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I wasn't aware Steam Link worked with anything other than Windows Steam.

The Linux client has some options that look like server-related, but the description at the top says, "Stream games from your Windows PC".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah I built a windows gaming box specifically to stream to the actual Steam Link device a couple years ago specifically to play games on my TV.

I don’t think streaming is ready for prime time on the Mac or Linux.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I wasn't aware Steam Link worked with anything other than Windows Steam.

The Linux client has some options that look like server-related, but the description at the top says, "Stream games from your Windows PC".

The iOS version says "...from your computer".

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah I built a windows gaming box specifically to stream to the actual Steam Link device a couple years ago specifically to play games on my TV.

I don’t think streaming is ready for prime time on the Mac or Linux.

Yeah great, how stupid of me to think that Valve, a multi-billion-dollar company, would be able to either properly debug their software or clearly state that it's an over-the-weekend alpha. Particularly since it came out a year later than intended and it would have given them time to polish it.

If you can only make it work well on Windows, then don't pretend otherwise.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

screamin and creamin posted:

The iOS version says "...from your computer".

I have never been able to use Linux as a host for some reason, so I don't know. The Steam beta actually removed the In-Home Streaming panel entirely. Doesn't matter, I just assume either it's unsupported or there's Linux Bullshit between me and mobile joy.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

I have never been able to use Linux as a host for some reason, so I don't know. The Steam beta actually removed the In-Home Streaming panel entirely. Doesn't matter, I just assume either it's unsupported or there's Linux Bullshit between me and mobile joy.

I don't know what to tell you. If I had to guess, your partial screenshot is from Windows. In that case it makes sense that they don't mention other platforms, even if those can stream, since it's irrelevant.

The description on the App Store page clearly states "Computer running Steam - Windows, Mac or Linux" under "Requirements". In any event, I may try to set this up again when I get more time, but it's not very promising.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

How reliable is the wifi streaming on the Apple TV? I dusted off my Fire TV stick and tried a couple apps out but got some pretty flaky performance. Streaming using the equivalent apps on my phone worked without a hitch, so I'm assuming the Fire TV was the limiting factor.

Also, have there been any rumors regarding the next hardware revision? I'd hate to buy in a couple months before they release something new.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

How reliable is the wifi streaming on the Apple TV? I dusted off my Fire TV stick and tried a couple apps out but got some pretty flaky performance. Streaming using the equivalent apps on my phone worked without a hitch, so I'm assuming the Fire TV was the limiting factor.

Also, have there been any rumors regarding the next hardware revision? I'd hate to buy in a couple months before they release something new.

IMO it’s the most reliable of any of the devices hands down (I’ve owned them all).

We might see a revision in October(?) but it’s a cheap enough device I wouldn’t worry about it unless you have a super high end TV. The new 4K ATV is great.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

NofrikinfuN posted:

Apple had a big media event in March about Apple TV and TV+, which would have been the ideal time to announce a refresh. Apple drag their feat on Apple TV refreshes about as much as they do with the Mac Mini and Pro, but WWDC is June 3, if you want to wait another two weeks to to be sure.

There's not going to be an Apple TV refresh, but they could pull a Chromecast and put it in other products or debundle iTunes into separate apps like Podcast, TV, Music, etc.

The new TV app also looks and works like trash so hopefully they'll polish the experience before they start throwing more TV stuff at us.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear it about the reliability, it's frustrating to have streams flake out randomly. I don't even expect particularly high video quality, I just don't want hitching and buffering.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NofrikinfuN posted:

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear it about the reliability, it's frustrating to have streams flake out randomly. I don't even expect particularly high video quality, I just don't want hitching and buffering.

I know exactly how you feel and I swear I tried all the devices before giving up and just dropping the money on the ATV.

Even if you aren’t in the Apple ecosystem the ATV works so much better and has a better picture quality.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I've never had an issue with streaming 4K HDR files over WiFi.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

screamin and creamin posted:

I don't know what to tell you. If I had to guess, your partial screenshot is from Windows.

It's not, but I solved the problem. It was the software firewall for my distribution.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

American McGay posted:

Same. AppleTV is really the only reliable of the various STB things.

SteamLink trip report: fuckin' rules!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

jokes posted:

Same. AppleTV is really the only reliable of the various STB things.

SteamLink trip report: fuckin' rules!

Can you compare the SteamLink app performance to the physical SteamLink? I bought one for like five bucks, but would gladly shelve it if the app is as good or better.

As long as you can sync a Switch pro controller, that is.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I don't know if my WiFi just sucks but I can only get a still image to appear on Steam Link. It syncs up to my PC and I can hear the UI sounds if I move around with the Siri remote, but I just get the first frame of the video stream frozen on the ATV. If I refer back to my PC and start a game that way, it appears to work for a second but then I just get the first frame of that game's splash screen stuck on the ATV instead (while everything continues to play normally on the native PC).

My controller doesn't pair but I assume that's normal since I don't have a Steam of Apple controller. But I think "pairing" only refers to the ATV itself and you can just indirectly use any controller via the PC.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Minidust posted:

I don't know if my WiFi just sucks but I can only get a still image to appear on Steam Link. It syncs up to my PC and I can hear the UI sounds if I move around with the Siri remote, but I just get the first frame of the video stream frozen on the ATV. If I refer back to my PC and start a game that way, it appears to work for a second but then I just get the first frame of that game's splash screen stuck on the ATV instead (while everything continues to play normally on the native PC).

My controller doesn't pair but I assume that's normal since I don't have a Steam of Apple controller. But I think "pairing" only refers to the ATV itself and you can just indirectly use any controller via the PC.

Most of the game streaming setups require your WiFi to be able to manage at minimum 20Mbps continuously. If both your PC and the ATV are on WiFi and especially if its 2.4Ghz wifi it might not be possible for your network to maintain that.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
And that’s upload speed, not download. Well, both, but for asymmetric speeds, that’s a big bottleneck.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Yeah, wireless networks are half-duplex. Additionally each client that's actively communicating is also vying for attention on the network.

I really wouldn't even attempt SteamLink with anything less than 802.11ac. With 2x2 arrays on both the AP and clients, you have a theoretical ceiling of about 880Mb/s.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Kind of bummed the iTunes copy of Apollo 11 isn’t in 4K. If they ever release a 4K version mine would be automatically upgraded, right?

Even with regular old HD and my sucky sound bar the Saturn V launch was hopping.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, wireless networks are half-duplex. Additionally each client that's actively communicating is also vying for attention on the network.

I really wouldn't even attempt SteamLink with anything less than 802.11ac. With 2x2 arrays on both the AP and clients, you have a theoretical ceiling of about 880Mb/s.

That was one reason why I upgraded to the Apple TV 4k. Gig-E port in the back.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Krispy Wafer posted:

Kind of bummed the iTunes copy of Apollo 11 isn’t in 4K. If they ever release a 4K version mine would be automatically upgraded, right?

Even with regular old HD and my sucky sound bar the Saturn V launch was hopping.

I've been putting this one off until a 4K release too, but last I read there isn't a UHD planned nor a digital release I believe. A real shame.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Hughlander posted:

That was one reason why I upgraded to the Apple TV 4k. Gig-E port in the back.

Lol if you don’t hardwire your Apple TV

It seems there was some huge trend for about 10 years for WiFi everything, and now we’re like, poo poo, even a strong connection can still have a bad signal or interference

At least powerline adapter it. Though I hear those can be inconsistent as well depending on the wiring in your home

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

American McGay posted:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Never had any problems with WiFi on my Apple TV.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Lol if you don’t hardwire your Apple TV

It seems there was some huge trend for about 10 years for WiFi everything, and now we’re like, poo poo, even a strong connection can still have a bad signal or interference

At least powerline adapter it. Though I hear those can be inconsistent as well depending on the wiring in your home

That’s what a gig e port is for... hardwiring it. The Pre 4K 4th gen only had a 10/100 in the back and Wifi was frequently faster even with half duplex.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ya sorry I know I was sort of just speaking out loud this isn’t a Wendy’s drive-thru is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I got about 30mbps across Powerline in my house, it's fine if you need a guaranteed connection but not massive bandwidth.

I now have my Apple TV 4K on gige, the server on 5ghz and a throughput between that and the router of around 160Mbit which is just enough for what's needed for 4K remuxed files in my experience.