Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I'm fairly sure it's a limitation on the playback device, not something that can be solved with an application or fiddling with iOS settings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thirst Mutilator posted:

I'm fairly sure it's a limitation on the playback device, not something that can be solved with an application or fiddling with iOS settings

Yeah it’s on the device there aren’t very many devices that can have two BT profiles and most of the ones that do are expensive.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My Logitech UE mini boom thing from like 2014 holds like eight or something no problem. Do they still do that?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
In regards to the video player question, nPlayer will let you do background playback. I have been using it for years and haven’t had any problems. I also like the volume and brightness swipe controls.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

cryptoclastic posted:

In regards to the video player question, nPlayer will let you do background playback. I have been using it for years and haven’t had any problems. I also like the volume and brightness swipe controls.
Awesome, thanks! The App Store description seems to cover everything else I’m looking for too! I’ll check out the free version tonight to see what features need to be upgraded for.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Question Mark Mound posted:

Awesome, thanks! The App Store description seems to cover everything else I’m looking for too! I’ll check out the free version tonight to see what features need to be upgraded for.

I bought for five bucks years ago, and then they added an IAP for the super-1080p support or something. I don't know how much the "full" version costs now but I have been using it for years and have never had a single complaint about the app.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
It’s only £4.99 which is substantially cheaper than Infuse.

edit: There's an £8.99 version too, not sure the difference. Still cheaper though!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I think it adds additional codecs which require royalties.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

It’s only £4.99 which is substantially cheaper than Infuse.

edit: There's an £8.99 version too, not sure the difference. Still cheaper though!

I like infuse as it syncs the library across my apple devices. I'm too lazy to set up Plex.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

I hadn’t thought about up next, but that relies on me knowing what order they chronologically should go.

As to why? I like to hear how band’s sounds change each album and their progression :shrug:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

savesthedayrocks posted:

I hadn’t thought about up next, but that relies on me knowing what order they chronologically should go.

As to why? I like to hear how band’s sounds change each album and their progression :shrug:

If release order is important to you, you should probably look it up on rateyourmusic.com or something, because Apple Music’s release dates are often wrong.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
They’re pretty close though right? I’m just trying to get them in order without a lot of steps. So play album 1 first, then album 2, album 3, etc..

If I don’t know the band, I’d have to open each album to see when it was released to queue it up correctly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not always. If something is rereleased for whatever reason, they use that as the release date.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The release dates for albums that have sold a billion copies tend to be good and everything else is very spotty.

Track titles are the same way. Some are perfect, some are way off.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

priznat posted:

I think it adds additional codecs which require royalties.
They had a table on their website and it's just some super specific Dolby certification support, so I'll do the £4.99 one.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Someone tell me if there's a better thread to ask this. Does anyone here use Outlook iOS and Gmail? I have a couple of one specific Gmail account that has trouble syncing with Outlook. It doesn't want to load my emails but my contacts and calendars are syncing just fine. My other Gmail account is syncing just fine, but this one doesn't want to sync. I have IMAP enabled on both accounts and 2 Factor is enabled on both so I have no idea what it is.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

cryptoclastic posted:

In regards to the video player question, nPlayer will let you do background playback.

What I need is a way to play two audio sources at once, anybody know an app for that?

I can play a podcast or music at the same time as a game, why aren’t people making audio apps that don’t cancel each other out? If I wanna play a podcast and an album at the same time I should be able to, damnit :colbert:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Snowy posted:

What I need is a way to play two audio sources at once, anybody know an app for that?

I can play a podcast or music at the same time as a game, why aren’t people making audio apps that don’t cancel each other out? If I wanna play a podcast and an album at the same time I should be able to, damnit :colbert:

I wonder if that's a limitation on iOS's multitasking - like, a music/podcast app has to claim the "play in background" mode and only one can do it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I know some of y’all use Google Photos. Is there a client app that doesn’t run like poo poo? The official one is slow and buggy, constantly giving me wrong album counts, and does this weird thing where some pictures are duplicated but not really because they don’t actually exist (but look like they do).

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Might be a question for the personal finance thread but do any of you use investment apps like acorn or robin hood? Should I just stick with my bank for savings and whatnot?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Stan Taylor posted:

Might be a question for the personal finance thread but do any of you use investment apps like acorn or robin hood? Should I just stick with my bank for savings and whatnot?

You're going to want to ask this in the Embarrassed Landlord forum.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

I use Robin Hood and I like it a lot. It’s free and works great. I’ve made a few thousand off investments I’ve made so I can’t complain.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Stan Taylor posted:

I've used both and they're both good. If you want to manually invest in individual stocks use Robin Hood; if you want a fairly safe portfolio of mostly ETF investments done via round-ups from purchases, use Acorns. I don't have the time or desire to manage my own portfolio, so I tend to prefer Acorns, but you can't go wrong with either.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

Stan Taylor posted:

I really love Acorns! It’s really helped me develop a pretty decent savings without even thinking about it.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

No and it depends.

Use a bank for emergency funds and such.

Use a broker that has minimal fees for investing (or just fixed fees upon sale) and no commission and purchase exchange traded funds (ETFs) with the lowest management expense ratios you can find in an asset allocation that makes sense to you.

If you don’t understand what that means, read A Random Walk Down Wall Street and The Four Pillars of Investing and ask questions in BFC.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to tell Apple News that I really don't give a poo poo about royal baby stuff for "breaking news" notifications? I try to mark them as Disliked when they happen, but I assume the breaking news notifications are just a blanket thing and don't tie in to those heart-markers.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Is there a way to tell Apple News that I really don't give a poo poo about royal baby stuff for "breaking news" notifications? I try to mark them as Disliked when they happen, but I assume the breaking news notifications are just a blanket thing and don't tie in to those heart-markers.

Pretty sure I only usually get about 1 News notification on my watch every 2-3 months, and I've had 3 in the last couple of days about this baby.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Google news has the same problem, I told them "fewer stories like this" for like a week every time I saw a headline with Megan in the name and that poo poo still gets featured prominently.

Personalized news is a joke.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
What's worse is that there apparently isn't a way to dislike a story without opening it first, which just adds to the algorithm that I'm willing to open those stories.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

What's worse is that there apparently isn't a way to dislike a story without opening it first, which just adds to the algorithm that I'm willing to open those stories.

On the iPhone you can just slide right and hit dislike. You used to be able to do this on iPad as well, before they added News+. Now the slide gesture has been removed, but only on the iPad. For whatever reason.

Anyway I’ve taken to just disliking every royal baby story and every other story that I don’t want to see, that the algorithm keeps shoving into my face, and then reporting it as “hate speech.” I have no idea if it does anything but it hides the story on the feed so that’s something.

E: actually I know it doesn’t do anything because I still see these dumb articles.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

xzzy posted:

Google news has the same problem, I told them "fewer stories like this" for like a week every time I saw a headline with Megan in the name and that poo poo still gets featured prominently.

Personalized news is a joke.

Bring back Pointcast! :corsair:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Steam Link is now available for iOS and tvOS.

Here's a direct link if, like me, it doesn't show up when you use the search function.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/steam-link/id1246969117?mt=8

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

y'all i'm going nuts

i'm just trying to get a notification to pop up on my phone every 18 hours and 30 minutes. all repeating events in both ios calendar and google calendar won't do anything more often than daily, and don't let me do a custom event that reoccurs more than once every 24 hours.

someone save me. this shouldn't be that hard.

Research Unix
Sep 30, 2012

Proteus Jones posted:

Here's a direct link if, like me, it doesn't show up when you use the search function.

Oh!! Has anyone tried it on Apple TV yet?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

sudo rm -rf posted:

y'all i'm going nuts

i'm just trying to get a notification to pop up on my phone every 18 hours and 30 minutes. all repeating events in both ios calendar and google calendar won't do anything more often than daily, and don't let me do a custom event that reoccurs more than once every 24 hours.

Maybe a “time to take your medication” app?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

sudo rm -rf posted:

y'all i'm going nuts

maybe a timer would work better?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Proteus Jones posted:

Oh cool!

Do you have to be using an MFi gamepad for it to work or are there options for virtual game pads on the screen? Not sure I fancy buying another expensive controller just to try it out!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Oh cool!

Do you have to be using an MFi gamepad for it to work or are there options for virtual game pads on the screen? Not sure I fancy buying another expensive controller just to try it out!

Steam Controller, MFI controller and touch screen controls.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Steam Controller, MFI controller and touch screen controls.
Great, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

sudo rm -rf posted:

y'all i'm going nuts

Can I ask?