Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Emalde posted:

It was a puzzle boss that people didn't work very hard at to figure out the puzzle for. People attacked it, the HP went down, "ah, this must be how you do it."

There are reasons enrage timers are standard design now :v:

Just wow if you think people didn't try as hard as they could to figure it out before being forced to grind it down. And SE's terrible "how to fight it" video, after patching out methods that were deemed "incorrect" (hello, Kraken Club/DRK changes).

Then the kills also resulted in nothing but a massive waste of everyone's time because it had no drop table, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe the real reward to killing Absolute Virtue was all the friends we lost to physical exhaustion on the way.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Pussy Quipped posted:

I’m on the ultimate weapon part of the MSQ but I heard there are like 100 quests of filler between this and heavensward content. Is that true? Is it worth watching all the cinematics and such for these ?

That last 1/2 or 1/3 are worthwhile in my opinion. Many of the threads there start the foundation of the Heavensward story lines.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Pussy Quipped posted:

I’m on the ultimate weapon part of the MSQ but I heard there are like 100 quests of filler between this and heavensward content. Is that true? Is it worth watching all the cinematics and such for these ?

If you are at all interested in the story but in a rush, watch up to the credits following Praetorium, then skip any text and cutscene up until about the point Ramuh appears. After that fight is where the plot starts to become cohesive and the prep for Heavensward begins (there's still like 40 quests left to go from there).

With the release of HW, main story quests tend to be individually longer but fewer in number and there's a lot less fetching to do. You will never completely escape from having an NPC ask you to collect literal poo poo for them, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Which one's second in MSQ, Leviathan or Ramuh? 'cos I too would play and watch until you finish Praetorium, then ignore everything until you've clobbered both of those fellows (uh, spoilers? :shrug:), then start paying attention again.

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice

Azubah posted:

Sorry to detail old game chat, but I just realized there's going to be a whole new dimension of people dunking on Alphinaud.

Best part of the story!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

kaptainkaffeine posted:

they just keep comin' and comin' but they just can't make me do em

(there's an ifrit one too) i'm gonna go do blue mage poo poo instead and never play HW, that'll show em

They are absolutely going to make you run Qarn and you will like tolerate it.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Okay, and that’s all great at an individual level, but we’re talking about a corporation. How do you prove the intent of a corporation in this case when it doesn’t have anything to do with money directly?

I wholeheartedly reject the idea that they get a pass on this just because of intent. We have to hold organizations to higher standards.

Also all they really need to do is apologize for it, maybe change the outfit a bit or something. It’s not like the punishment is taking down ffxiv.

I don't think Japan in general has done a good job over the last century of even acknowledging all the war crimes Imperial Japan was responsible for, I doubt a Japanese company is going to buck its own government and be the first to apologize.

I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it. At best, they'll quietly remove the items or just not offer them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Schubalts posted:

Just wow if you think people didn't try as hard as they could to figure it out before being forced to grind it down. And SE's terrible "how to fight it" video, after patching out methods that were deemed "incorrect" (hello, Kraken Club/DRK changes).

Then the kills also resulted in nothing but a massive waste of everyone's time because it had no drop table, anyway.

yeah the dumbest part was them saying "nope you didn't do it right". uhh they killed it didn't they? it's not like verant got all pissy when people killed the sleeper.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Digital Osmosis posted:

Since I'm more of a solo-player, and since I figure people will be skipping the plot in dungeons they've already played, I kinda stayed away from the game.

This is an extremely reasonable concern that fortunately hasn’t been a problem in practice. All story scenes are before or after dungeons, or unskippable (very very very rare). Most dungeons have short nonstory scenes when you enter the dungeon and when you reach the final boss as well. The other players can’t start until you finish the starting scene, and almost every group will wait for you to finish the pre boss scene so that you can help out! And new players watching scenes are actually eagerly WELCOMED in dungeons because they provide valuable extra rewards for the group. So instead of being annoyed at having to wait for you, people are almost always glad to do so because you give them that sweet sweet bonus

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It also helps that bosses have warp in now when they seal off instead of leaving you trapped outside while a trio of idiots try to take down a boss minus a DPS.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Which one's second in MSQ, Leviathan or Ramuh? 'cos I too would play and watch until you finish Praetorium, then ignore everything until you've clobbered both of those fellows (uh, spoilers? :shrug:), then start paying attention again.
Levi-at-Han is before Ranma.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's not like verant got all pissy when people killed the sleeper.

Incorrect. There were two very famous Sleeper incidents that Verant/SoE showed their rear end over.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Pussy Quipped posted:

Most of them no, but things pick up very notably near the end as things head into Heavensward, and you absolutely shouldn't skip the last several cutscenes.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Tashilicious posted:

I don't think the China only store stuff is developed by Squeenix directly though.

China and Korea commission the items from SE. The items are actually developed by SE to make sure they'll actually fit in with the world at the highest quality possible. I mean, I say that, but then we still get half-effort poo poo like the prince stuff, but whatever. That's the process anyway.

World War Mammories posted:

ffxi had - still has, I guess - a fairly involved story, it’s just that back in the day you had to kill 25,000 crabs before you could do most of it

I love the story of XI and Vana'diel and I played FFXI for so long not because I liked the gameplay, but because I liked the story and exploration. XI's current iteration is closer to my ideal now, but I don't have the time or money to play more than one MMO at a time, especially since I've already experienced most of what XI has to offer. XI as it existed was definitely a painful experience though, one that I'd return to solely because I had to see more characters like Lilisette.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

There are loving crazy people who insist on playing classical ff11 before all qol improvements and the massive grind. Compared to them playing current ff11 ls very reasonable.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

https://twitter.com/kirveskari/status/1128777964810907649

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Leal posted:

Maybe the real reward to killing Absolute Virtue was all the friends we lost to physical exhaustion on the way.

:goonsay: the boss that lasted for 18 hours and had people puking from exhaustion was pandemonium warden

The Grimace posted:

I love the story of XI and Vana'diel and I played FFXI for so long not because I liked the gameplay, but because I liked the story and exploration. XI's current iteration is closer to my ideal now, but I don't have the time or money to play more than one MMO at a time, especially since I've already experienced most of what XI has to offer. XI as it existed was definitely a painful experience though, one that I'd return to solely because I had to see more characters like Lilisette.

oh yeah, it was a very cool setting. I was in a group that did the chains of promathia missions when they were fresh content, before they added limbus or the jailer/AV system, which should prove that I liked it. not necessarily the plot but the world-building. walking into the empyreal paradox and seeing qufim down below, or realizing that qufim is shaped like a crescent because most of the original island got scooped up to make tu'lia. and suddenly it occurs to me that XIV repeats that plot point with the burn and azys lla

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Leal posted:

the prize was the freedom when you got banned for "exploiting" to kill it

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Supposedly from the Media Tour.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

role actions being stripped out entirely wouldn't shock me

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

It pretty much isn't a thing anymore now that they just give you all of them instead of having a limited number of slots. Big ol failed experiment

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I swear to God, if I lose peloton.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I swear to God, if I lose peloton.
I mean, they'll probably just move the good ones down into the job tab and delete the stuff that's less interesting as part of their button purge

and also give dancer the run speed buff

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

But only if it forces everyone in the party to pirouette while it's active.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

everyone gets the ninja run animation for the duration

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

homeless snail posted:

It pretty much isn't a thing anymore now that they just give you all of them instead of having a limited number of slots. Big ol failed experiment

I'm 100% okay with role actions being axed if, and only if, I can still use Rescue on AST.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I have a feeling I'm going to be *real* torn between Bard and Dancer.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Archyduchess posted:

I have a feeling I'm going to be *real* torn between Bard and Dancer.

Sounds like the same old song and dance to me.

:v:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Dear Yoshida,

Please make Ten-Chi-Jin for Ninja less demanding.

Wish you were here,
Knives Jonquil

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
dear yoshi p

please give the entire dev team four months off

with love

a fan

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

World War Mammories posted:

:goonsay: the boss that lasted for 18 hours and had people puking from exhaustion was pandemonium warden

oh yeah, it was a very cool setting. I was in a group that did the chains of promathia missions when they were fresh content, before they added limbus or the jailer/AV system, which should prove that I liked it. not necessarily the plot but the world-building. walking into the empyreal paradox and seeing qufim down below, or realizing that qufim is shaped like a crescent because most of the original island got scooped up to make tu'lia. and suddenly it occurs to me that XIV repeats that plot point with the burn and azys lla

I mean my experiences with AV were that long and ridiculous because we were trying to figure out wtf to do, especially before the wall glitch was found. Granted because it was a world boss we swapped off ls's doing it with EU and JP shells so no one suffered too unduly.

Also I'm probably just an old grognard because I also compare XIV unfavorably to XI in terms of world building and plot. Like the story of XIV is well written and all, but it's not compelling to me. Like I don't really care about any of the characters on a real level like I do about the MMO's that really grabbed me. XIV's world is just a combination of all the bad parts of Game of Thrones writings AND too video gamey. Everyone is kind of a bastard and it's just endless references all the way down. Shadowbringers is the one time I'm really all in on the story just because it's finally crossed the threshhold of the references are stupid to there are so many references it's gone to plaid. Like if we're stuck with a video gamey reference filled world, hell yeah bring in Yoko Taro.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Who in the principle cast is an outright bastard? Like, I always felt like xiv's writing was rather optimistic because most of the characters generally have the view that things will get better so long as they make a plan, buckle down, and see it through together.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Who in the principle cast is an outright bastard? Like, I always felt like xiv's writing was rather optimistic because most of the characters generally have the view that things will get better so long as they make a plan, buckle down, and see it through together.
You know who else made a plan instead of surrendering to despair? Alphinaud!

And to be fair it did eventually work out.

I guess Urianger is a scheming dickbag but I think Alisaie's going to collect his lights and liver if he pulls that poo poo again.

Though wow, if they do a significant timeskip, Alisaie and Alph might grow up, huh.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
FFXIV 2.0+ will forever exist in a weird time-warp of "five years after the calamity", no matter how many Heavensturn helmets the Warrior of Light collects.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Tataru. Hands down.

By any means necessary, so long as it's within budget.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

In the main cast not many, but I more mean in the texture of the world. We were just talking about how many real world atrocities the Garlean's do, but it was all over the 2.0 writing, the game relies on rape to generate drama a lot. I guess I do carry a lot of residual grumpiness from that era where there really wasn't anyway to root for in the main story, Eorzea felt no better than Garlemand for a long while.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Me, the Warrior of Light, the inheritor of an ancient civilization's legacy of destruction who has fully embraced their role as a weapon to be wielded by better angels in order to further their personal goal of amassing forbidden and forgotten arcane knowledge.

Except when they're dancing with moogles or picking flowers, I guess.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Cabbit posted:

Except when they're delivering letters for moogles or spending time with their good friend Hildibrand, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eimi posted:

In the main cast not many, but I more mean in the texture of the world. We were just talking about how many real world atrocities the Garlean's do, but it was all over the 2.0 writing, the game relies on rape to generate drama a lot. I guess I do carry a lot of residual grumpiness from that era where there really wasn't anyway to root for in the main story, Eorzea felt no better than Garlemand for a long while.

I don’t remember rape being a huge part of ffxiv at any point in time. Lots of dumb dick joke puns, but not rape.

Maybe that was during 1.0?