Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

luxury handset posted:

guess how much old people like it when you teach kids more intuitive ways of doing math in your head

go on, guess

You dare speak of common core

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

luxury handset posted:

guess how much old people like it when you teach kids more intuitive ways of doing math in your head

go on, guess
Haha, just old people? My 35 year old friend occasionally shares those “dang common core math makes no sense” posts.

My kid is in first grade pretty much learning number theory instead of rote algorithms. It’s good.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I remember seeing common core math homework examples and being confused by how you'd even answer them, then I realized it was teaching how to do math the way I did it starting with like, high school. Good on educators for trying to get kids started thinking about it earlier.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Haha, just old people? My 35 year old friend occasionally shares those “dang common core math makes no sense” posts.

My kid is in first grade pretty much learning number theory instead of rote algorithms. It’s good.

But see, I don't understand it, and since I have no memory of a time when I was learning how to do arithmetic, it was obviously easier because I learned it that way.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

SpacePig posted:

But see, I don't understand it, and since I have no memory of a time when I was learning how to do arithmetic, it was obviously easier because I learned it that way.
Coincidentally the same people who can do math in their heads with numbers that are greater than two digits.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I remember seeing common core math homework examples and being confused by how you'd even answer them, then I realized it was teaching how to do math the way I did it starting with like, high school. Good on educators for trying to get kids started thinking about it earlier.

I forget what thread it was in (maybe even this very thread) but I remember a series of posts on here about Common Core where one poster didn't understand it and thought it was stupid because all the examples being posted were from actual children's homework and used small, 2-digit, numbers. Someone then posted a problem with a set of 6-digit numbers and asked the guy to solve it, and he did. Then they asked him how he got the answer and it came out that he used some tricks that he picked up in some business math course he took in college.

The same trick was one Common Core was teaching kids to use.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Captain Monkey posted:

75% chance the blowup was Trump/right wing related.
poo poo, you're right. All I could think about was how bad things will be when her son has a kid and she's suddenly a much lower priority than she wants to be.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Cernunnos posted:

I forget what thread it was in (maybe even this very thread) but I remember a series of posts on here about Common Core where one poster didn't understand it and thought it was stupid because all the examples being posted were from actual children's homework and used small, 2-digit, numbers.

IMO, this is the biggest problem with explaining Common Core math to adults. The examples from kids homework are all so simple that most adults don't even have to think about the problem solving process and any deviation from that process seems unnecessary and confusing. Give them an example they can't just solve instantly at a glance, something with a lot of borrowing and carrying the one and whatnot and that can change.

Though, honestly, I've found that the best way to explain it to people is that it's like making change when you pay with cash. If something costs $13.68 and they pay with a 20, how do you count out the change? You build back up. Two pennies to $13.70, a nickle to $13.75, a quarter to $14.00, a one to $15.00, and a five to make $20.

Khizan has a new favorite as of 08:20 on May 16, 2019

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I never understood the outrage because that's the technique I developed in my head as long as I can remember.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Comments on NASA stuff are always interesting

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cernunnos posted:

I forget what thread it was in (maybe even this very thread) but I remember a series of posts on here about Common Core where one poster didn't understand it and thought it was stupid because all the examples being posted were from actual children's homework and used small, 2-digit, numbers. Someone then posted a problem with a set of 6-digit numbers and asked the guy to solve it, and he did. Then they asked him how he got the answer and it came out that he used some tricks that he picked up in some business math course he took in college.

The same trick was one Common Core was teaching kids to use.

The bit I remember was people who learned that method going "it's just the same way everyone naturally does it in their head anyway" and people who didn't learn that way going "no it isn't". I don't know whether any particular way of learning arithmetic is better than any other but the usual "it's more intuitive the way I learned it" always seems to come down to people not realising that they've just internalised a particular learned method.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Idiots on Social Media: #New Profile Pic

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tiggum posted:

The bit I remember was people who learned that method going "it's just the same way everyone naturally does it in their head anyway" and people who didn't learn that way going "no it isn't". I don't know whether any particular way of learning arithmetic is better than any other but the usual "it's more intuitive the way I learned it" always seems to come down to people not realising that they've just internalised a particular learned method.

It's kind of the whole word vs. phonetic learning debate, but for math. One is probably better in the sense that it's a better foundation to build more learning onto, but people are going to have different skills that favor one or the other and use that to decide what they think is best.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"The important thing is to understand what you're doing, rather than to get the right answer" :viggo:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Data Graham posted:

"The important thing is to understand what you're doing, rather than to get the right answer" :viggo:

Aside: love when some old person describes something clearly and obviously better than the status quo as being some ridiculous newfangled gizmo created purely to spite good honest people. Like that Carlin bit where he bitches about queuing:

"Stand in line at the bank, for a really long time! One of those NEW kind of lines they have at the bank *ominous spooky voice, like this is some diabolical new invention designed specifically to dehumanize people and make their lives worse* THE COMMON FEEEEDER LINE"

Because picking a teller and lining up at that one teller's window, where they might be slower or faster than the others, or suddenly go on break—that was MUCH better, and clearly why they all still do it that way

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/1128969163911811072

remember that beloved ex-PM who just died? he wasn't really labor he was pretty much one of us anyway VOTE FOR ME

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I hope Tone gets nutted again in the near future

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
"The Honourable Tony Abbott" is such a loving contradiction in terms

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Weatherman posted:

"The Honourable Tony Abbott" is such a loving contradiction in terms

I'm sure there's an honorable Tony Abbott somewhere in the world, but it ain't that one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BrigadierSensible posted:

12yo: "Daddy raped me"
Rapist Father: "You can't prove it coz there is no baby."
Alabaman courts: "I guess he is right, nothing we can do. Rape away."

Also is this fuckwit claiming that babies are the only proof of rape? So rapists that rape 5yos can never be caught coz those 5yos never get pregnant?

I will never understand the US right's obsession with abortion, nor the way that they always seem to say "rape=kinda bad but abortion worse." and "yeah the mother might die, and the resultant baby will have enormous health issues that we aren't prepared to pay for or do anything about, but abortion is bad, so gently caress the both of them."

Abortion is just the public thing they go for to make it easier to push forth their ultimate goal, which is control of women's sexuality. They always pair up anti-abortion laws with elimination of sex ed, attempting to restrict birth control, making it harder to prosecute rapists, etc. The end goal is to completely strip women's rights to their own bodily autonomy so they can be barefoot and pregnant.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1129005074565484545

This 60/40 Red state is dragging the country down, why don't they have the good sense to live in a 40/60 blue state like me

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

https://www.change.org/p/hollywood-...=share_petition

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Miss posted:

https://twitter.com/TonyAbbottMHR/status/1128969163911811072

remember that beloved ex-PM who just died? he wasn't really labor he was pretty much one of us anyway VOTE FOR ME

This sounds like saying Bill Clinton wasn’t a real leftist because of NAFTA and welfare reform. Which is, you know, true.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Picnic Princess posted:

I never understood the outrage because that's the technique I developed in my head as long as I can remember.

people really don't like to confront the idea that their education was substandard, because this then implies that they are not as educated as they think they are, which then leads to maybe they're not as smart as they think they are

math is a weird one because there's this socially accepted excuse of "math is just hard" or "i'm not a math person" which is super dumb if you think about it in terms of reading. "reading is just hard, i'm not the kind of person who gets reading" etc. and math IS hard, but that's no excuse, and there's no reason why your average adult can't learn and process most of the math that is necessary to be a functional person in society. like all you need to have is some basic grasp of statistics, algebra, etc. to understand things like Big Numbers and how interest rates work, etc. so when you start undercutting basic, basic math like addition/subtraction with these teaching methods that are not traditional to the american educational system, people react in a visceral way because it makes people feel inadequate

and the even weirder thing is how the opposite is true for history/social sciences, where people absolutely make up bullshit like "democrats are the party of the KKK" and then assert everyone who disagrees with them is uneducated

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

luxury handset posted:

people really don't like to confront the idea that their education was substandard, because this then implies that they are not as educated as they think they are, which then leads to maybe they're not as smart as they think they are

math is a weird one because there's this socially accepted excuse of "math is just hard" or "i'm not a math person" which is super dumb if you think about it in terms of reading. "reading is just hard, i'm not the kind of person who gets reading" etc. and math IS hard, but that's no excuse, and there's no reason why your average adult can't learn and process most of the math that is necessary to be a functional person in society. like all you need to have is some basic grasp of statistics, algebra, etc. to understand things like Big Numbers and how interest rates work, etc. so when you start undercutting basic, basic math like addition/subtraction with these teaching methods that are not traditional to the american educational system, people react in a visceral way because it makes people feel inadequate

and the even weirder thing is how the opposite is true for history/social sciences, where people absolutely make up bullshit like "democrats are the party of the KKK" and then assert everyone who disagrees with them is uneducated

*extremely pardoned for my campaign finance crimes voice* UH are you saying the Democrats DIDN'T found the KKK????

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Mak0rz posted:

Warning: boomer meme

As a former math teacher, I've seen a million iterations of this, and it never ceases to piss me off. Bonus points that this one specifically references Algebra 2 (my last year teaching was 6 sections of that).

Trade secret: math teachers actively don't give a gently caress if you learn poo poo like the quadratic formula. You're never going to use it (though it is important for the ignored minority of students who will actually go into STEM fields).

But school is not about learning every skill you need in your life, you're supposed to be learning how to learn, how to deal with frustration with difficult problems that don't have plug&chug solutions, how to do abstract reasoning, and how to find resources to solve problems when the most obvious first approach fails.

If you learn these things, you can figure out how to do your own loving taxes because that poo poo is laughably simple for 99% of people complaining about this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

BaronVonVaderham posted:

As a former math teacher, I've seen a million iterations of this, and it never ceases to piss me off. Bonus points that this one specifically references Algebra 2 (my last year teaching was 6 sections of that).

Trade secret: math teachers actively don't give a gently caress if you learn poo poo like the quadratic formula. You're never going to use it (though it is important for the ignored minority of students who will actually go into STEM fields).

But school is not about learning every skill you need in your life, you're supposed to be learning how to learn, how to deal with frustration with difficult problems that don't have plug&chug solutions, how to do abstract reasoning, and how to find resources to solve problems when the most obvious first approach fails.

If you learn these things, you can figure out how to do your own loving taxes because that poo poo is laughably simple for 99% of people complaining about this.

At what point has the "Figure it out yourself, dumbass" approach to teaching teenagers how to be adults ever worked?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

zoux posted:

*extremely pardoned for my campaign finance crimes voice* UH are you saying the Democrats DIDN'T found the KKK????

https://thinkprogress.org/five-ways-rand-paul-whitesplained-politics-at-howard-university-8b8d436fbdcb/

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Mak0rz posted:

i graduated in 04 and they had that course at my highschool its called basic math home ec and civics. 2/3 are required to graduate and both are tested for on the exit exam i was forced to take before i could "pass" highschool despite my 3.8 avg.

Algebra 2 wasnt even required. prealgebra was the highest math you had to pass. i doubt they went up to algebra 2 being a required course in 15 yrs because my boomer rear end parents only had to pass prealgebra as well.

snergle has a new favorite as of 16:30 on May 16, 2019

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

just throw children in a pit with a few tablets loaded with educational apps and leave them there for 12 years imo

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

...they did?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1129005074565484545

This 60/40 Red state is dragging the country down, why don't they have the good sense to live in a 40/60 blue state like me

there are like ten posts exactly like this made per day on these forums

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

Surely most Americans are embarrassed by what Alabama has done? Especially when it gets challenged, push up to the supreme court and confirmed as just fine there. Krassenstein seems like an idiot but not about being embarrassed about Alabama.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Aramoro posted:

Surely most Americans are embarrassed by what Alabama has done? Especially when it gets challenged, push up to the supreme court and confirmed as just fine there. Krassenstein seems like an idiot but not about being embarrassed about Alabama.

southern states are often convenient punching bags for regressive policies that are endemic across america. the particulars of state level politics serve as outrage sinks for folks who live in marginally better states, but still in the same lovely country

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

luxury handset posted:

southern states are often convenient punching bags for regressive policies that are endemic across america. the particulars of state level politics serve as outrage sinks for folks who live in marginally better states, but still in the same lovely country

See also: "Florida Man"

Which apparently is only a thing because Florida, uniquely among states, makes criminal records public

So it's really just "America Man", but we only hear about the Florida ones

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

Jastiger is a Krassenstein...

Also these arguments ignore things like racially motivated voter suppression and gerrymandering. A lot of these red states wouldn't be if elections in the south were free and fair.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Aramoro posted:

Surely most Americans are embarrassed by what Alabama has done?

They are, and I daresay given the polling on beliefs about abortion rights most Alabamans are embarrassed too. But the iosm here is how well known grifters and con men the Krassensteins are bleating out the lovely trope of noble, enlightened blue state city dwellers having to ONCE AGAIN put up with the backwards thinking of those big dumb dummy hillbillies in rural areas and red states. It's both unhelpful, short sighted, and ultimately just part of the Krassensteins efforts to build their brand so they can steal more money from people.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Of course, if they did drop STEM courses to teach "How to file taxes," and "how to buy a house," Boomers would just say "What high schooler without a basic knowledge of algebra is going to buy a house right out of high school? We should be preparing them for college and joining the STEM workforce so they can make money!"

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mak0rz posted:

In all fairness we really should have a class that teaches kids how to open a bank account, balance a budget, do their taxes. poo poo like that sometimes never gets taught to kids because the parents just expect you to pick it up by osmosis. Home ec I is still basically teaching you how to make biscuits or cookies and it's not a mandatory class. Skip the cookies and teach the basics of money management and hopefully it'd prevent a bunch of stupid mistakes people make early on in life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

We should teach them how marginal tax rates work at the very least...