Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
The anime is a neat idea with a poor execution. You could do far worse for Godzilla based entertainment, but you could also do far better.

The first part is a good barometer for if you'll like the rest. Personally, I think they're just okay. Nothing more, nothing less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Don't watch the Godzilla anime. It is irredeemable garbage.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018

teagone posted:

Is the Godzilla anime on Netflix any good? I struggled to get through Mechagodzilla and fell asleep during SpaceGodzilla. Haven't watched Destroyah yet. Should I bother with the Millennium series? I watched Godzilla 2014 earlier and it was a lot better than I remember it being, and will probably watch it again and Skull Island a couple days before King of the Monsters.

At the very least Against Mechagodzilla is terrific, though the sequel drops off and GMK gets enough chatter to deserve a watch

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I've never really been a fan of anime as a medium, and the Godzilla trilogy didn't really do anything to dissuade me from that, but I don't *hate* them the way some people do. They're based on interesting concepts, even though they're not concepts I'm terribly interested in ever seeing again. Worth a watch if you're a Godzilla completionist, but not essential (and I certainly never intend to rewatch them).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're anime first and Godzilla second. If you already have patience issues with regular Godzilla movies' non-kaiju scenes the anime trilogy will drive you up the wall.
It also has probably the lamest Ghidorah ever seen.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got halfway through the first Godzilla anime movie and decided to watch Skull Island instead.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

This promo doesn't show new footage, but the monster shots look like they have finished cgi now. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K3S3sN_Eis

I can't wait to experience it on IMAX.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

They're anime first and Godzilla second. If you already have patience issues with regular Godzilla movies' non-kaiju scenes the anime trilogy will drive you up the wall.

Shin Godzilla was prob my fav film of uh...whatever year it came out and I still couldn't stand the anime

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

teagone posted:

Is the Godzilla anime on Netflix any good? I struggled to get through Mechagodzilla and fell asleep during SpaceGodzilla. Haven't watched Destroyah yet. Should I bother with the Millennium series? I watched Godzilla 2014 earlier and it was a lot better than I remember it being, and will probably watch it again and Skull Island a couple days before King of the Monsters.

Destroyah is probably the second/third best of the Heisei era.

Space Godzilla is flat out the worst normal Godzilla movie.

The anime Godzilla movies are awful. On every level, awful. The first one is the most boring piece of poo poo, the second is mediocre and the third ruins a great set up for Ghidorah with an extremely lame payoff with Ghidorah

For the Millennium movies

G2000 is fine. It's a perfectly average Godzilla movie. It's a bit boring and takes a little while to get going, but it works.

Megagirus is a weird kind of showa era throw back with a fun doofy fight but the movie is kind of an over long slog.

GMK is good. I don't like Ghidorah in it and Mothra looks terrible, but Godzilla is good, Baragon is excellent, and the human stuff is good.

GxMG has a Godzilla that can barely move, but everything else works. It's a very anime-kind of story, but it's got some strong poo poo.

Tokyo SOS is a beautiful looking movie with some excellent monster stuff and they completely do Godzilla better. it's a direct sequel to GxMG and a moderate remake of Godzilla VS Mothra 1964

Final Wars is Final Wars

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The worst part of that is how loving cool Ghidorah could have been. But, no, let's make our twenty mile long extradimensional three headed dragon god lame.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rather than watch the anime trilogy, just watch the fanmade Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla based on it

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Cosmic tapeworm becomes a pushover when it loses the invulnerability buff.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

This is neat. Rare Godzilla footage.

quote:

Godzilla vs. Wolfman (伝説の巨獣狼男対ゴジラ Densetsu-no Kyoju Ookami Otoko tai Gojira?, lit. Legendary Beast Wolfman Against Godzilla) is a fan film directed and produced by Shizuo Nakajima and several former filmmakers of Toho in 1983.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Burkion posted:

Space Godzilla is flat out the worst normal Godzilla movie.

Preach. I'm always vaguely confused as to how people can blithely declare Heisei to be the best of the series when two of its entries (Spacegodzilla and Mothra '92) are among the worst of the franchise. Mechagodzilla '93 hasn't aged particularly well either, for that matter.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, tbh I've only really enjoyed the first 3 Heisei films so far. Kinda disappointed, especially with the Mothra and MechaGodzilla movies. Looking forward to Destroyah though.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

All the Heisei movies suffer from having a particularly immobile Godzilla compared to every other era, where the suits are too bulky to support anything other than monsters standing still and shooting lasers at each other. However, they have their charm, the human plots tend to be silly in an entertaining way and if the suits aren't flexible at least they're expressive and the model work looks nice.

Personally while I agree the Space Godzilla is bad, I don't understand the hate for the Mothra entry. I watched it and the King Ghidorah film recently (going to rewatch GvMGII and Destroyah soon) and I found that it carries the same sort of tone as King Ghidorah throughout. Plus it has Mothra in it, and Mothra is usually fun.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Mothra movie I wouldn't peg as one of the Worst

But it's flawed. The kaiju stuff in it is all generally great for Heisei, but the human stuff goes from whatever to extremely 90s Environmentalism real fast.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The pro graps fights in the Shōwa movies (thanks for autocorrecting that accent mark in Apple) are by far superior monster fights to anything else until the new American movies (which are also pretty pro wrestling inspired)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m going to watch Space Godzilla again because I must be in denial about how bad it is. Only thing that bothered me about it is that Mogura obviously should have been Mecha G.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

The pro graps fights in the Shōwa movies (thanks for autocorrecting that accent mark in Apple) are by far superior monster fights to anything else until the new American movies (which are also pretty pro wrestling inspired)

Showa also had the best human stuff. I'd honestly take some of the terrible late stories like Gigan and Megalon, where Takeshi Kimura clearly was phoning it in and hated himself, over a lot of the Heisei human plots.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m going to watch Space Godzilla again because I must be in denial about how bad it is. Only thing that bothered me about it is that Mogura obviously should have been Mecha G.

Nah. If you enjoy it you enjoy it.

Don't let nerds tell you something YOU like is bad, unless it's like, non stop unironic racist rape snuff films

At that point it's probably you

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

alexa, show me the ironic racist rape snuff films

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McSpanky posted:

I mean

If you want

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

McSpanky posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannibal_Holocaust

I guess?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
What about godzilla comics? Are there any recent good ones?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Personally while I agree the Space Godzilla is bad, I don't understand the hate for the Mothra entry. I watched it and the King Ghidorah film recently (going to rewatch GvMGII and Destroyah soon) and I found that it carries the same sort of tone as King Ghidorah throughout. Plus it has Mothra in it, and Mothra is usually fun.

The singing in Mothra got a bit grating. They needed to chill with that.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Mothra 1992 is fine. Spacegodzilla is boring cheap rear end however.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

DeafNote posted:

Godzilla: The Half Century War is amazing.
I haven't read anything else.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

DeafNote posted:

My favorites are still the Dark Horse runs from the 1990s, but that may be childhood nostalgia talking.

Of the Legendary tie-in graphic novels, Awakening is really bad and the new one, Aftershock, is mediocre. Neither is worth the high sticker price.

IDW's runs were a bit of a mixed bag: I hated Kingdom of Monsters, with its ham-fisted, lazy attempts at social and political satire, along with art that varied wildly in quality and style from issue to issue. I never read its two sequel runs (Godzilla and Godzilla: Cataclysm), but I'm told they were better.

Of IDW's other series, I liked what I read of Gangsters and Goliaths (but I don't recall if I ever finished it); Legends had a few good issues and some really good art; Half Century War was probably the all-around best series and (mild KOTM spoilers) sort of predicts what we know about the plot for King of the Monsters, involving a fight against eco-terrorists who have a device which can lure monsters to specific locations. Rage Across Time had some interesting concepts (Godzilla meets Hannibal in one of them, a theoretically perfect convergence of my interests), but the art is often completely baffling. I never read Godzilla in Hell, though I've heard it's at least interesting. Oblivion, I know nothing about.

Aside from Half Century War, I think the IDW run held in highest regard by the fandom is Rulers of Earth, which involves pretty much every monster and mecha that's ever been in a Toho movie. I've only read a few issues but it's fun enough for what it is, and has consistently good monster art.

The Marvel series from the 70s, I dunno if that's really readable on its own merits nowadays or just more of an interesting curiosity.

Pyswagoras
Oct 4, 2013

DeafNote posted:

Godzilla in Hell rocks
Half Century War is great
Rage Across Time is fun
Didn't care for Cataclysm
Haven''t read Rulers of the Earth yet

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm having childhood flashbacks to Godzilla vs the Lord Howe Monster and Godzilla vs Burtanus, among the last Dark Horse entries

Cover art on those was rad. Inside the comic art was sillier but the comics were tongue in cheek overall anyway

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Half Century War is worth it just for the art.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mantis42 posted:

Yo, my boy Megalon up in there :unsmith:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mantis42 posted:

James Stokoe is one of the best comic artists out there. He also has an Alien book called Alien: Dead Orbit, and has done some random stuff for Marvel.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I like that it's specifically the van the hippy-rear end Mothra "countermeasures" guys use to track Mothra. Those guys just did not give a gently caress about anything.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How would you describe Showa Godzilla’s scale colour? Dark green?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

How would you describe Showa Godzilla’s scale colour? Dark green?

In my opinion, PANTONE Black 3 C from https://www.pantone.com/color-finder#/pick?pantoneBook=pantoneSolidCoatedV3M2

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Godzilla's official color has always been charcoal grey

G2000 was the first time Godzilla was any shade of green in a Toho production

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The floodgates have opened.
https://twitter.com/MonarchSciences/status/1129165738202107904
https://twitter.com/JAWB1e/status/1129179553589596161
https://twitter.com/JAWB1e/status/1129179479304278016
https://twitter.com/JAWB1e/status/1129179268406288386
https://twitter.com/JAWB1e/status/1129178756717961218

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Is that king ghidorah's cry? Because that sounds absolutely perfect. Right now I'm just struggling deciding between d-box or small imax :o: more than likely just going to end up seeing it twice anyway