Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
The TDP value that Intel provides is for all cores on base clock (95W for the 9900k). IIRC most tests of the 9900k put the actual TDP under load at 140-160W. Stuff that in an A4 and you are looking at serious undervolting and one of those Asetek 92mm AIO cooler if you want something quieter than a vacuum cleaner.

Realistically, your "best" option is probably something like an ncase M1 with a 240mm AIO cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

StabbinHobo posted:

gently caress if I know thats why i want to buy it

that looks really cool, I just watched a video of somebody cramming an i7-8700k and a 2080 in one though and it was like... too hard. I'd be perfectly willing to live with a case twice that size to have it be quieter and not an impossible puzzle. (though if i can just find something off the shelf to buy i guess i don't care about the puzzle).

If you want a pre-built, you could do a lot worse than a Corsair One. It's not cheap, though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Honestly, for gaming the performance difference between a 9700k and 9900k is minuscule, and if you're stuffing it in an SFF case I wouldn't be surprised if a 9700k outperformed a 9900k due to thermal throttling. Unless you turn hyperthreading off of course, but then you might as well have a 9700k anyway!

Or do you mean a locked 9900?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The common recommendation (by the guy who made the Dan cases, even) is to do like notebooks and set a long term power limit in your BIOS (eg. 95W) - a 2700X / 9900k can still use all 16 threads and run max clocks on some of them for a short while, but they get limited to lower (boost) clocks quickly if you use software that utilizes most threads to 100%. This will still make the 92mm fans on tiny heatsinks run at 2500 rpm or whatever, so it's going to be audible (even with Noctua fans), but you're not going to run into actual thermal throttling unless you run this 24/7 in a hot room.

In every day use and gaming you're not going to suffer much of a penalty compared to the default "TDP unlimited, MCE enabled" of a desktop board with baby head cooler, but it's obviously not going to be as fast, and the difference is more pronounced in something that uses all cores for a long time, like rendering or video editing. In raw numbers the CPUs with higher (default) clocks and more threads should still come out ahead. Everyone has to decide for themselves if that's worth the additional price of the faster CPUs.

StabbinHobo posted:

that looks really cool, I just watched a video of somebody cramming an i7-8700k and a 2080 in one though and it was like... too hard. I'd be perfectly willing to live with a case twice that size to have it be quieter and not an impossible puzzle. (though if i can just find something off the shelf to buy i guess i don't care about the puzzle).
The people doing the crazier builds do a lot of DIY stuff on top of putting off the shelf parts together, like delidding (previous Intel CPUs), combining different coolers' heat sink and fans, 3d-printing ducts and fan adapters and getting custom cables, and possibly even building custom loops with external PSUs etc. But a basic Dan A4 build with Corsair SFX Platinum PSU + mainboard + CPU + Noctua NH-L9 (or Cryorig C7) + RAM + M.2 SSD + 2-slot GPU is pretty easy. There's a lot of effort to be spent on optimization (starts with picking the parts) to get high end components to also run cool and quiet (-ish), though.

If you don't need the Dan A4's minimal size, I'd still go with a slightly bigger case like the Louqe Ghost, Ncase M1 or whatever else exists now with a volume of 10 to 20 liters. That lets you get proper air flow through the case, and use larger CPU coolers (or larger radiators) for higher performance or lower noise.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yea turns out i way overshot on the cpu there. i did my old trick of going to newegg and picking a notch or two down from the top. i guess in the 5ish years since i last did that the number of notches has octupled so i was still way high.

how's this look

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

StabbinHobo posted:

yea turns out i way overshot on the cpu there. i did my old trick of going to newegg and picking a notch or two down from the top. i guess in the 5ish years since i last did that the number of notches has octupled so i was still way high.

how's this look

Why are you getting a mATX case if you wanted something portable?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Silverstone Sugo 13 do it do it do it

wot in tarnation mATX mobo

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I have an 8700K and a good 1080ti in an M1. I have the 8700K on a 240mm AIO. I unfortunately have a blower on the 1080ti which is less than ideal. I actually put an accelero cooler on it which worked out amazingly but I didn’t put the spacers in correctly and warped the card. Luckily evga still replaced it. It’s definitely a bit packed and took a few tries putting it together but wasn’t too crazy.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

buglord posted:

Silverstone Sugo 13 do it do it do it

wot in tarnation mATX mobo

Sugo 12 sleeply looks up. "is it.... my turn?"
https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=540&area=en

The Sugo line could use a refresh and be really awesome again. For instance if they built the SUGO 13 for a front mount sfx power supply and left the rear open for tower coolers, etc. I suppose like they have the Sugo 08 setup but shrink the size to make it SFX only. Plus the 180mm air penetrator was an awesome fan, it would be cool for them to release an AIO with a 180mm radiator and fan combo for the top of the SUGO 08.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 1, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Please don’t get my hopes up for a front mount SFX PSU Sugo 13, my poor heart can’t take that.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Why are you getting a mATX case if you wanted something portable?

going any smaller seems to open hour hours of google work trying to figure out what the gently caress will fit and not overheat where (and also not be loud), and i mostly just ran out of steam sorting out that list.

also some of the very cool looking (indie?) cases you guys have mentioned seem lovely but for $200 vs $20, nah.

for portability i don't need like, grab-and-go. I just need to be able to take it in and out of the back seat of a toyota camry without smashing fingers.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 1, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
How about a Fractal Design Core 500? It’s ITX, only a little larger than the Sugo 13, has a front mounted PSU so you can do a tower CPU cooler without having to worry about water cooling. Fits long graphics cards if you get a SFX PSU. Pretty darn quiet for me.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

StabbinHobo posted:

going any smaller seems to open hour hours of google work trying to figure out what the gently caress will fit and not overheat where (and also not be loud), and i mostly just ran out of steam sorting out that list.

also some of the very cool looking (indie?) cases you guys have mentioned seem lovely but for $200 vs $20, nah.

for portability i don't need like, grab-and-go. I just need to be able to take it in and out of the back seat of a toyota camry without smashing fingers.

Some of the Silverstone Sugo series cases support matx. They haven't been refreshed in a while but they're still good.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Crossposting from the PC building megathread:

Thinking of upgrading my GTX 980 to an RTX 2080 for no good reason, but it looks like it'll necessitate a new PSU as well. I have as there any appreciable difference between the following? I have a Fractal Design Node 202, so SFX and full modularity are a must.

I'm leaning Seasonic as I'm more familiar with that name w.r.t. PSUs, plus the price difference is pretty negligible.

Or maybe I can go all :homebrew: and get this Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum (maybe not)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
If you’re in the states I’d say go EVGA. Should anything happen with your PSU, their RMA department and tech support absolutely rocks.

I think Corsair updated their cables with the 750W SFX line. I have their 650 SFX. Great quality and all, but the cables are horrific. The plugs don’t snap in easily and are physically painful to your thumbs to connect and remove. Do a bit of research to see if it changed. If you don’t build and rebuild your PC often it shouldn’t really matter, but yeah, not fun.

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 15, 2019

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Awesome, thanks. I'll go EVGA then, as I am in the US.

The Corsair was more of a comedy option, but no one seems to be complaining about the cables in any reviews I've found. Sounds like they've revised the cables for that model.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have a Corsair SF 450 and a SF 600 Platinum in my computers and they/the cables are fine? They're really good PSUs in general.

The SF line's original cables are pretty stiff which can be a pain for cable management in tiny cases but you can buy individually sleeved cables (and the Platinum PSUs come with them and the ATX bracket by default) and other than the cables being a tad long for tiny cases, they're much easier to use and I didn't notice anything wrong with plugs. Fitting the 24-pin power plug into new mainboards has always been a pain in the rear end.

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 15, 2019

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
Ended up getting a set of cables from Cable mods for my sf600 a couple years ago when I built my Ncase M1.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

The Electronaut posted:

Ended up getting a set of cables from Cable mods for my sf600 a couple years ago when I built my Ncase M1.

Shouldn't you be only using the manufacturers cables on the PSU, unless you want to fry your Mobo?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chikimiki posted:

Shouldn't you be only using the manufacturers cables on the PSU, unless you want to fry your Mobo?
With third party cable mods you're buying cables specifically for a certain PSU model or manufacturer. Like all modding and DYI stuff there's a chance your hardware explodes, but it's not like you're using one manufacturer's modular cables with a different brand PSU.

The only reason I didn't use custom cables (yet) for my Dan A4 is because they're super expensive. Custom cables would solve a bunch of cable management issues I have in that case.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

orcane posted:

With third party cable mods you're buying cables specifically for a certain PSU model or manufacturer. Like all modding and DYI stuff there's a chance your hardware explodes, but it's not like you're using one manufacturer's modular cables with a different brand PSU.

The only reason I didn't use custom cables (yet) for my Dan A4 is because they're super expensive. Custom cables would solve a bunch of cable management issues I have in that case.

I would love to get into making custom cables. I was talking to a friend about splitting the gear 50/50 between us. It seems like it would be fun to do (as well as something cool). It would also be nice to make some shorter cables for my ITX system.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
What kinda gear are you looking at?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

SalTheBard posted:

I would love to get into making custom cables. I was talking to a friend about splitting the gear 50/50 between us. It seems like it would be fun to do (as well as something cool). It would also be nice to make some shorter cables for my ITX system.

If you get into this, I'd definitely buy some shorty unsleeved cables. I have an ATX PSU in a Suppressor F1 (the black cube version of the Core V1) and the cables take up a ton of space, but it's difficult to justify spending ridiculous prices on short sleeved cables in a case with no windows when the cables might even be too short for the case!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I don't think I will ever actually do it but I was talking seriously about doing it at one point. I have a 4 month old so not a lot of free time.

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
Without sleeving, creating your own custom cables should be fairly cheap to do yourself. The pins and connector housings are dirt cheap, and the tools (Molex crimper and wire strippers) can be found for cheap. I wouldn't get into business selling cables with a $30 crimper, but for personal projects it will be good enough.

All the connectors are from the Molex Mini-Fit Jr. family, and then you'll need some 18AWG wire (probably MTW type) in the color of your choice. Here's the Molex part numbers you will need - any electronics supplier like DigiKey or Mouser will have them:
  • Female Pins: 39-00-0039
  • Male pins: 39-00-0041
  • Connectors (motherboard/vidya side): 39-01-3xx5 (where xx is the number of pins, pad with a 0 if less than 10 pins)

I don't want to assume what the connectors power-supply side might be, but they are probably the other gender of the same connectors. Obviously you have to make sure your connectors are correctly wired, so document it well if you are tearing up the only set for your power supply.

porksmash fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 19, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
Save me from myself goons (No, please don't. I like this sickness)! Really, I need some sanity checking/recommendations..

For point of reference: I'm currently using a 6700k (oc'ed to about 4.6 w/ an h100iv2 keeping it nice and cool) w/ 32gb ram and an EVGA 1080SC. It does everything I need pretty drat well (which includes running a vm for work applications while gaming simultaneously) sitting in the massive case under my desk running pretty quietly.

Now, I'm jumping into the mITX world by picking up an m1 from a buddy and starting relatively fresh. I've been hemming and hawing about what to put in it, and am currently leaning towards a 2700x paired w/ an asus x470 and carrying over my GPU and nvme SSD (and probably adding a second larger one for additional capacity). I'd of course like to keep 32gb ram, but I'd need a new set since current setup is 4x8 sticks.

I'm not directly planning to OC since that would tend to push day to day thermals up in my mind, and the x would do better at speeding up on demand over the non-x. It's also tempting to wait for the 3k series and see what's coming up, but if they're already putting fans over chipsets on the new atx boards, that scares me for the smaller form factors, and would also jump the cost up I would imagine.

Given the above, for cooling, I'm torn. Any new-ish processor pushes me to a 240mm AIO for keeping quiet and cool while running for 12+ hrs a day. The AIO above could work, in theory, but could be tough to install, and I'd like to get the new machine up and running before I shut the current one down. There's one YTer that put in a kraken x52, which seems a bit $$ but had decent thermal results. I've also considered air cooled. If I go that route I'm planning on picking up a NH-U9S, with the supplied fan pushing towards rear exit where another NF-a9 will live. Also will have the requisite "intake" NF-A12x25 fans on the bottom to cool the gpu - which could even push me ot the (new to me) accelero mod.

Moving this to the top of my desk, is this going to drive me nuts with fan noise?

Thoughts/input? I'm totally open to anything at this point. I haven't actually pulled the trigger on any parts yet, so now is the time to sway me. Not cost is no object, but, let's keep it reasonable...

Everything I've read so far seems to say that this should work ok (though no mention of noise) - but I figured I'd check here too as I can't directly find a similar build offhand.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

porksmash posted:

Without sleeving, creating your own custom cables should be fairly cheap to do yourself. The pins and connector housings are dirt cheap, and the tools (Molex crimper and wire strippers) can be found for cheap. I wouldn't get into business selling cables with a $30 crimper, but for personal projects it will be good enough.

All the connectors are from the Molex Mini-Fit Jr. family, and then you'll need some 18AWG wire (probably MTW type) in the color of your choice. Here's the Molex part numbers you will need - any electronics supplier like DigiKey or Mouser will have them:
  • Female Pins: 39-00-0039
  • Male pins: 39-00-0041
  • Connectors (motherboard/vidya side): 39-01-3xx5 (where xx is the number of pins, pad with a 0 if less than 10 pins)

I don't want to assume what the connectors power-supply side might be, but they are probably the other gender of the same connectors. Obviously you have to make sure your connectors are correctly wired, so document it well if you are tearing up the only set for your power supply.

Thanks! I might give this a try (with new cables, definitely not confident enough to tear up my old ones!)

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

If the 2nd ssd you're adding is a 2.5" drive, it'll make your build more complex as it'll require the PSU SATA power cable, which takes up some of the precious little room you have.

For the x570 platform, we'll have to wait and see what the mITX boards come with but with fewer I/O ports the use of a fan should hopefully not be mandated.

I have a 240 AIO in my M1 (Celsius 24), it makes opening up the case an ordeal but if you don't touch your computer very often then it's a one-time frustration.

I had it on my desk for a while, didn't hear the fans at all but I've had bad luck with AIOs and pump noise so I eventually mounted it on the underside of my desk.

Do you have a use for your old desktop? You're not reusing the CPU/Mobo/RAM/PSU/Case/Potentially the AIO, so you have most of a perfectly good system to use for something else.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

2nd ssd

240 AIO in my M1 (Celsius 24)

Do you have a use for your old desktop? You're not reusing the CPU/Mobo/RAM/PSU/Case/Potentially the AIO, so you have most of a perfectly good system to use for something else.

I'm shooting for m.2, and with some of the sales going on, might even achieve another nvme. The intel drives seem to be cheap-ish (~$200 for 2TB on newegg when I was looking the other day) and looked like nvme..

Thanks for the AIO info. I'm always at least interested in anecdotal evidence, so I'll look at the very least.

The current pc is the hardest justification. It really does everything I want it to fairly well and don't have a lot of use cases for it otherwise. The specs are still solid enough that I'm not hitting excessive load times or anything of the sort.

I'm sort of waffling at the moment.. I'm basically approaching this as "mid-life" crisis of sorts (at 38 I'm not quite there yet) - where some days I'm full speed ahead, and others I'm jumping back and trying not to get ahead of myself. Such is life I guess.

Thanks!

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I'm sort of waffling at the moment.. I'm basically approaching this as "mid-life" crisis of sorts (at 38 I'm not quite there yet) - where some days I'm full speed ahead, and others I'm jumping back and trying not to get ahead of myself. Such is life I guess.

I'm not going to tell you to not spend money on something you think will be fun to put together. I'd at least wait until Zen 2 comes out though, gives you some more time to think it over and decide if this is something you really want to do.

My M1 build is actually being used as a secondary system right now - I found mITX to be too limiting for my purposes, and the case was very frustrating to work in as I was trying to make a cool, quiet, and powerful tiny system. Moved up to mATX case, it's a lot bigger but it's very nice to be able to open it up and have access to everything and not have to disassemble everything to get to one screw that's holding in the actual part I need to replace.

e. I also don't recommend using the Celsius 24 AIO in the M1. The integrated fan controllers are nice and makes removing the side part a little bit easier, but the tubes are attached on top of the pump which makes fitting the tubes difficult.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 21, 2019

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

I'm not going to tell you to not spend money on something you think will be fun to put together. I'd at least wait until Zen 2 comes out though, gives you some more time to think it over and decide if this is something you really want to do.

My M1 build is actually being used as a secondary system right now - I found mITX to be too limiting for my purposes, and the case was very frustrating to work in as I was trying to make a cool, quiet, and powerful tiny system. Moved up to mATX case, it's a lot bigger but it's very nice to be able to open it up and have access to everything and not have to disassemble everything to get to one screw that's holding in the actual part I need to replace.

e. I also don't recommend using the Celsius 24 AIO in the M1. The integrated fan controllers are nice and makes removing the side part a little bit easier, but the tubes are attached on top of the pump which makes fitting the tubes difficult.

That pretty much nails it. I need to pace myself, and I’m having trouble with that. Too excited by the hunt for parts I guess. :d:

This being a future primary box with hotter hardware also gives me a bit of pause. That could really take some downtime to tinker and “get right” which is also something I may not be able to handle given this is how I work... gotta just take a step back.

Got some hard thinking to do.

Thanks again.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I’m using an original Corsair H100 in my M1 on an 8700K and it works great, but I did swap out the fans for Noctuas. I originally tried to use a CoolerMaster AIO but it wouldn’t clear the awful asus heatsinks on the motherboard. Luckily my brother had the old H100 and I swapped with him.

Running two m.2 drives definitely made things a bit neater inside and it definitely took a few tries putting it all together.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Streacom da2 review: Remove the fan filters, and it runs cool. Liberatingly easy to build in/ upgrade for a 20L case.

2700x and a U9S, MSI 2060 Gaming Z run at 60 / 65C loaded, with passive idle. Very quiet.

I love it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 23, 2019

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Does anybody have a Thermaltake Core P1 and care to comment on it? I'm moving house and I'd like to transfer my ITX build from its current Core V1 to a wall mount. The reviews for the P1 are pretty good and it's within my budget.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 22, 2019

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I had the Core P3 and it was a pretty nice case although awkward to build since the instructions were unclear.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

The journey begins. Picked up the ncase and bought a 1080ti from my buddy. Ryzen 3rd gen leaks sound promising. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I see a lot of SFF builders using blower based GPU coolers while using an AIO for the CPU. Given that GPUs are a much bigger power consumer than a CPU in a gaming machine why don't more people have hybrid coolers for their GPUs and use a fairly lower profile HSF for the CPU? I ask partly because I think almost every SFF case I've seen like the Louqe Ghost and the NCase M1 were designed where there's no space for the pipes near the GPU and it's basically impossible to buy a smaller end SFF case because of the tubes coming off the GPU. I'm mostly annoyed trying to fit all my crap into a smaller case but it seems inevitable that I'm going to be back in a larger case with sound dampening material and accepting that a HSF that weighs 1 kg is the better all-around option.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Cooling processors is always less efficient, mostly due to the smaller contact surface. Also cases in general are much better suited for CPU AIOs than GPU AIOs due to layout. Also people don’t like performing surgery on GPUs if they didn’t buy an AIO Carr straight up while it’s universally accepted you’re going to have to mount a CPU cooler regardless.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

necrobobsledder posted:

I see a lot of SFF builders using blower based GPU coolers while using an AIO for the CPU. Given that GPUs are a much bigger power consumer than a CPU in a gaming machine why don't more people have hybrid coolers for their GPUs and use a fairly lower profile HSF for the CPU? I ask partly because I think almost every SFF case I've seen like the Louqe Ghost and the NCase M1 were designed where there's no space for the pipes near the GPU and it's basically impossible to buy a smaller end SFF case because of the tubes coming off the GPU. I'm mostly annoyed trying to fit all my crap into a smaller case but it seems inevitable that I'm going to be back in a larger case with sound dampening material and accepting that a HSF that weighs 1 kg is the better all-around option.

I'm with you. The GPU is a much higher tdp and source of heat. If I was gonna water cool a component I would choose the gpu, get a lot more heat out of the case and put into the water loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
AMD's new lineup is looking great for SFF builds. 3700x is only 65w TDP!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/14407/amd-ryzen-3000-announced-five-cpus-12-cores-for-499-up-to-46-ghz-pcie-40-coming-77