Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Priest is Knock, yeah, and sneks.

Maybe now will be the time we get something to do with high Knock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Given the name, I'm hoping for at least one Knockin' On Heavens Door reference

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I have copies both on Steam and on my phone with a combined play time of something like 40 hours, and I still haven't lost a game on either platform. It's so stressful, I can't help myself from pausing every few seconds. I'm pretty sure this will end with me getting arrested, and I welcome sweet release from this lore scrap combining grind.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've lost several games by not paying attention and forgetting what degrades into fascination, then going crazy from fascination 3. Surprisingly tough to fix if you catch it too late.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

treat posted:

I have copies both on Steam and on my phone with a combined play time of something like 40 hours, and I still haven't lost a game on either platform. It's so stressful, I can't help myself from pausing every few seconds. I'm pretty sure this will end with me getting arrested, and I welcome sweet release from this lore scrap combining grind.

Pausing all the time is the sensible way to play. Are you doing expeditions? Better books let you skip trying to combine lores.

In the end, Detectives don't get you arrested. Evidence does. Moth is an aspect that will try and deal with evidence by talking to a suitable card about the evidence.

If you feel you are just doing a slow grind, you are quite possibly stalling in place and not working towards your goal. If so, feel free to ask for tips here or in PM.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
The LP got me in the mood for another go. What are the Lores that don’t have an “appropriate” ending yet?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

The LP got me in the mood for another go. What are the Lores that don’t have an “appropriate” ending yet?

Knock, edge, winter, and secret histories.

Knock is coming soon.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I wonder what a secret histories ending would look like, given that there's only one associated hour

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I'm excited for the priest because I really liked the Dancer and the ending I got for her, and upgrading cultists was super easy since I went with Moth and she had the Winged Doll from the start. It makes sense that Moth and Heart have different routes than a more Western Ceremonial path would, so I'm really interested in what Knock does.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel like I need to give this another try thanks to the LP. My first run got past the Stag Door but got thoroughly stopped for lack of further (evident) goals there

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like I need to give this another try thanks to the LP. My first run got past the Stag Door but got thoroughly stopped for lack of further (evident) goals there

Quick Hint : Using the Star Door to be in the Know, Work on your Desire. Then, continue to meet it's requirements in the Season of Ambition (or whatever the fishhook is).
Slightly longer part Once it gets high enough you will have to use it in a Rite (you might have noticed they all have a slot at the end for Desire). At this point you may need to hunt down powerful things to power the rite. Or visit Port Noon using the deepest secret histories, and (probably) get a book that teaches you a destructive method of enacting a rite that lets you use 6 things.

If you are dancing that's it's own beast.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

loving lol the Priest/Ghoul devstream. “We decided not to beta test Ghoul, to see how badly that would go.”

Content sounds good, though.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Any links to said devstream?

EDIT : Thanks!

Tylana fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 18, 2019

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGPL8Mm_ut0

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 18, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone happen to try this on either iphone or ipad?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Anyone happen to try this on either iphone or ipad?

I assume it'd be no different to Android? Which works well, although it's a few updates behind (no headquarters, old research system etc).

I also find the mobile version makes it impossible to pause just as a verb finishes but before any cards in it get swept up by other verbs pulling them out, which is relatively easy on PC.

Tenebrais fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 18, 2019

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I play a ton on iPhone. Runs well, but a cluttered table is a bit of a pain to navigate. 100% recommend.

In other news, in my newest PC game I think I had my first bad outcome ever consuming opium. It gave me an illness, but it still produced contentment so it was just a setback.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've definitely had opium result in nothing but dread a few times since the safehouse update.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

First run in a while (since Dancer), sure was happy to discover that they piled on more requirements on merging Lore. Sure it is thematic, sure merging needed an overhaul to make it more interesting and sure you can bypass some of the requirements with HQs/Skill, but gently caress you game either way.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it is now significantly easier to merge lore, faster, and progress on failure is retained rather than it being all or nothing

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah I much liked not having the risk of wasting five minutes because I hadn't prepared three Erudition in advance. At least I can foresee that I will need to get hold of Fascination or whatever it needs.

I just finished a Heart run that I'd started before that update. Getting into the Spider Door was rather tricky with a Heart cult and a deprecated hideout card... I look forward to trying the new ones in my next run.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
You can always move into shutdown Morlands if you have a "This is an old card" hideout, I thiink. I did wiht my old save.

EDIT : Also Edge/Grail 5 is a decent success rate on Spider Gate keys.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it is now significantly easier to merge lore, faster, and progress on failure is retained rather than it being all or nothing

Oh, progress is retained? Ok, that's cool.

New question: I'm going for a Heart ending. I've been dancing with Health, but for some reason I have a single Passion Scar. Will it cause any problem?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh, progress is retained? Ok, that's cool.

New question: I'm going for a Heart ending. I've been dancing with Health, but for some reason I have a single Passion Scar. Will it cause any problem?

As long as you have/have done more Heart than the other, you're good.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I wonder what a secret histories ending would look like, given that there's only one associated hour

Probably something like creating your own history where you actually have true power, instead of the current one where you are merely pursuing it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got my first win :toot: The physician start with its infinite duration cant-gently caress-it-up 2f/60s card is pretty broken in the long run, I gotta say. Enlightened as a Grail Cult.

So how rough is New Game Plus? I don't mind looking stuff up at this point (especially wiki references like reward tables) though I'm debating between exploring another cult and temptation or trying this Dancer stuff I'm hearing of, and I gather NG+ attempts are one and done until you win again, so.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Apostle (NG+) runs are... mostly about trying to work out what to even do. And keep a couple more plates spinning. I'd suggesting trying a Dancer or other normal victory. Or playing with some romance. But... there's a value and interest in just going for the NG+ run, maybe accepting failure as a possiblity.

You can open up the directory with your save data and make backups just by making a copy of the file if you want to be able to do the apostle run later without doing another normal run (though trying to do those fast is interesting!). Or if you want to be able to restart your Apostle run if you mess it up. And of course you can just debug mode to get an ending very fast if you really want to force it.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Ciaphas posted:

Got my first win :toot: The physician start with its infinite duration cant-gently caress-it-up 2f/60s card is pretty broken in the long run, I gotta say. Enlightened as a Grail Cult.

So how rough is New Game Plus? I don't mind looking stuff up at this point (especially wiki references like reward tables) though I'm debating between exploring another cult and temptation or trying this Dancer stuff I'm hearing of, and I gather NG+ attempts are one and done until you win again, so.

FWIW I wasted a ton of time on my only Apostle victory thus far (when the Grail asked me to 'assemble the host' I assumed it meant, like, all the cultist candidates, and... not what it actually meant, also I bought out all the basic lores) and the worst thing that happened to me was a couple of scandals (Intrigue attack from the enemy Long that spews out Crime Rep) spewed out like 20 rep. Which sounds bad but it happened very slowly and if you're good at manipulating the investigator it's not really hard to deal with.

the actual difficulty and risk is somewhat overhyped, especially if you're good at being cheaty with cards (i.e. holding cards through timed events so the game can't, say, eat a dread into despair.) the biggest problem is just poking at it because if you thought the base game was obtuse and unclear about what you were supposed to do, whoo friendo, have we got an entirely new level of "what the hell does that even mean"

with that said, I found it a lot of fun, and if it had actually been super difficult or whatever it probably would have been much less so, so I think it's in a good place, just don't be afraid to check it out if you want to. Worst case, you fail and go do a different legacy anyway.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
How's the Ghoul path looking? Is it basically the Apostle path but with winter? I don't know if I like the sound of them just... not testing it. That's a weird call.

It sounds really cool though. "Melancholy." I'm into it.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 21, 2019

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Just noticed the name of the "romance" (I guess?) achievements. And the pictures.

EDIT: Well, I think I'm on track.

EDIT EDIT: Never shall we cease.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 21, 2019

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Fat Samurai posted:

Just noticed the name of the "romance" (I guess?) achievements. And the pictures.

Apropos of nothing. How do I resurrect people?

The same way you make a zombie. If you want the zombie romance achievements you need to have the reanimated corpse of your lover on the board when you finish your victory ritual. The zombie still only lasts 60 seconds like any other zombie so it's not possible to do this without freezing the card timer in some way like showing off your zombie to Sulochana or something while you work on the victory ritual.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Mzbundifund posted:

The same way you make a zombie. If you want the zombie romance achievements you need to have the reanimated corpse of your lover on the board when you finish your victory ritual. The zombie still only lasts 60 seconds like any other zombie so it's not possible to do this without freezing the card timer in some way like showing off your zombie to Sulochana or something while you work on the victory ritual.

IIRC, you can use the zombie ritual on a zombie to extend it, but I forget.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I've never tried, but even if you can it would still require the work verb, so you can't be completing your victory ritual while doing that.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I'm also pretty sure zombies last longer than that, but it's been a while, I dunno.

EDIT : Wiki dive suggests I am wrong.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 21, 2019

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'm pumped for the Priest DLC. I'm all about that Knock, like Jesus of Nazareth. Ghoul one might be fun too, I like Winter, though I don't care much for the Elegiast.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tylana posted:

I'm also pretty sure zombies last longer than that, but it's been a while, I dunno.

I've only ever summoned one from a totally-random-not-my-dead-hunter-honest corpse and it was 60s.

How open season are we on untagged spoilers here, by the way? I'd hate to CIA the place unnecessarily

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm pumped for the Priest DLC. I'm all about that Knock, like Jesus of Nazareth. Ghoul one might be fun too, I like Winter, though I don't care much for the Elegiast.

The devstream talks about the themes of the two were interesting.

If you want to watch yourself, but I'll leave it at that in case people want to explore them themselves when the time comes.

EDIT : Wiki suggests they do indeed only last 60s, so talking to something about them is a decent plan. I might suggest arranging your ascension, then the state of your lover in that order though.
Also, making them a prisoner ends the romance. So don't try it that way.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 21, 2019

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Wait, they redid the research system? When? How is it supposed to work? The last time I played a few weeks ago and it was still the old system, but I had all the new stuff like headquarters...what the heck.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Some time between now and then. Lores have qualities that tell you what they will need. Progress will not be lost , but it might make stacking cards harder.

EDIT : Snip. Sorry, bad day. Made be snarky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Palemdromes posted:

Wait, they redid the research system? When? How is it supposed to work? The last time I played a few weeks ago and it was still the old system, but I had all the new stuff like headquarters...what the heck.

Depending on which Lores you're trying to study, Study will ask to consume an Erudition, a Glimmering, a Fascination, or Health in various amounts; there are alternate methods such as upgraded Skills and various Headquarters, which aren't consumed. Failure to do so will return your Lores to you unchanged.