Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I had to bolt out the door right after the direct ended yesterday, but I just wanted to chime in late to say that I'm incredibly stoked for SMM2; even more so than before.

That dry bones shell is not getting enough hype, because being able to jump into lava and turn invincible will allow for some incredible new levels. Everything allows for incredible new levels. The possibilities are through the roof. I need this game yesterday.

EDIT: I hope we see new level styles down the line like people were talking about and I want to see Yoshi's Island. I don't care if it's not Yoshi Maker, the original title was Super Mario World 2. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I might get some of those vouchers, but haven't used my switch in a while. Just got bored and went back to my PC.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

hadji murad posted:

It’s exclusively for online users so it would make no sense to offer it on physical product. However, Nintendo online

I get that but surely they could link your shop account to your Nintendo Switch Online account to make it work?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I can't check now (at work, which oddly doesn't block SA); are any of the following games available for that voucher program:

BOTW
Mario Kart 8
Smash
NSMBUD
Captain Toad
Kirby All Stars

I own none of these games... yet.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I can't check now (at work, which oddly doesn't block SA); are any of the following games available for that voucher program:

BOTW
Mario Kart 8
Smash
NSMBUD
Captain Toad
Kirby All Stars

In the US? All of those except I don't see Captain Toad (might be too cheap by now to bother?)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BOTW
Mario Kart 8
Smash
NSMBUD
Captain Toad
Kirby All Stars

:captainpop:

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

I don't usually like to buy eshop credit in advance but now I'm on the hunt for one of those "buy $50 of eshop credit for $45" type deals so I can stack it with the vouchers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BOTW
Mario Kart 8
Smash
NSMBUD
Captain Toad
Kirby All Stars

Isn't half this list ports of WiiU games?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Len posted:

Isn't half this list ports of WiiU games?

You're right. He should drop the money on a Wii U instead and play them on original hardware instead of the one he owns.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

(EDIT: ^^^ Yes, exactly. I never had a WiiU)

Ok, to explain (not that I need to, but whatever) I only got my/our Switch in January. I have two kids, poo poo is expensive, and I have bills to pay, so no, I haven't dropped $90 (:canada:) on any of those so far. We bought Mario Odyssey, and so far, the next big game I'm/we're getting is SMM2.

Do I want to own BOTW + MK8 + Smash? gently caress yes. Can I totally justify spending what would be $270 on those right now? No.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Games must be played on the first console they were released on. Those are the Console Rules. It is why Nintendo has forsaken the Virtual Console. No longer will Miyamoto allow Nintendo to steep their hardware in sin.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

In reality you shouldn't get any of those witha voucher because they are older and you can get them much cheaper used. If you get a voucher use it on new games like Fire Emblem or Astral Chain.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Takoluka posted:

You're right. He should drop the money on a Wii U instead and play them on original hardware instead of the one he owns.

Not saying that it just seems like a decent amount of the first part titles are ports.

I'm probably wrong though and it isn't actually as large as I think it is

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Who gives a poo poo if they are ports, most people didn't own the system they were ported from anyway.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

In reality you shouldn't get any of those witha voucher because they are older and you can get them much cheaper used. If you get a voucher use it on new games like Fire Emblem or Astral Chain.

"much cheaper"?...where?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

Who gives a poo poo if they are ports, most people didn't own the system they were ported from anyway.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

I don't usually like to buy eshop credit in advance but now I'm on the hunt for one of those "buy $50 of eshop credit for $45" type deals so I can stack it with the vouchers.

FYI for anyone with a Costco membership: Costco.com sells $50 worth of eShop credit for $45, so don't ever bother buying eShop credit anywhere else unless it's more than 10% off.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I don't like the current trend of charging full price for a port of an older game is all.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Len posted:

I don't like the current trend of charging full price for a port of an older game is all.

I feel like Nintendo get away with it easier than other companies because their games never go down in price anyway.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Famitsu just had an article on Three Houses that people have been translating and it sounds pretty interesting.

Anecdotally I have a ton of friends who are also FE fanatics and they're starting to trend upwards on it.

this sounds like a radical departure from Awakening/Fates and I'm happy the game is going in a new direction with so many different complexities to it. It sounds like they replaced the waifu simulator with something akin to how Valkyria handles interacting with troops but to a greater extent. Very cool how you get an actual army now with characters leading knights into the fray to make it feel like an actual battle vs old games essentially being like 20 units on a map.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

i don't really keep up with the Fire Emblem community or whatever, do people think the new game looks good?

There's a big giant rumor going around if you'd like to know about it

rumor mill posted:

There's a five year timeskip at one point in the game. It's a central and dramatic event.
- They seemingly aren't doing the "making children" stuff again
- There's a new variant of "skinship" (which I believe is the kind of petting minigame there was in Fates) but it's done "much classier" and is more akin to a tea conversation
- The game has very close connections to Genealogy of the Holy War, such as darker storylines and similar characterization. ach noble "house" has access to certain crests + weapons. Weapons are supposed to be linked to the crests of each character. The weapons are wieldable by units who don't have the respective crest, but there are very dire consequences...
- Claude gets a Wyvern in his main promotion
- There are LGBT supports/relationships, moreso with female Byleth than the male version (but there are still some for the male version)
- Lynhart should be bisexual at the very least. He has quite a unique character that delves beyond his sexuality.
- Dimitri's backstory: He is the sole survivor of his family's massacre and suffers greatly because of it. Much of his storyline revolves around this and his battle with his own mental health. His father is actually from the country east of Leicester, beyond the mountains (Almyra, I believe). You get at least two other characters from there. Lorentz dislikes Claude because he technically should be the next leader of Leicester and doesn't believe Claude deserves his position... or something like that. Claude's storyline revolves around his heritage, which kind of separates him from Edelgard's and Dimitri's stories.

- The story overall is a HUGE improvement over Fates/Awakening. The leaker gives it a 9 on a scale to 10, with Fates being a 2.
- You can't get all characters in a single run, but you can recruit at some point some characters from one of the houses you didn't choose.
- The swordswoman in the first trailer's name is Catherine.
- Rhea's advisor is named Setes. We'll also be getting characters named Cyril and Elio(?). And another Monastery worker.
- You do fight students from the routes you didn't pick at one point, and you kill them. [this implies there's, as expected, a war between the three houses at some point]
- "I feel like Three Houses is the opposite of Fates in terms of marketing. The school setting was just a facade for a much darker storyline. And there will be more than three countries involved... "
- There are four story paths in the game, and they don't converge. Edelgard's House has two paths.
- Edelgard is a lot more ruthless than previous female lords.

- There's indeed dating in this game, between the main character and the students/non-students characters.
- Status effects and debuffs are definitely back but I'm unsure about the restore staff. There should be an alternative for it if there isn't one though.
- The story is more akin to Radiant Dawn's, where each chapter is a small part of a greater "part." Part 1 has a heavy focus on the academy, for example, while Part 2 does not.
- The fanservice is more subdued this time around. Dorothea and Manuela are probably the closest you'll get from the characters revealed so far, but even they are quite different from the likes of Camilla or Tharja.
- Dedue was one of the bandits that attacked and killed Dimitri's family. Dimitri kept him as a bodyguard, which is why Dedue "owes him a great debt."
- "The maps are actually pretty subpar from what I've heard. The story and characterization make up for most of them, though."
- "I've never seen the maps. They're just my friends' opinions. They should be more varied than Awakening's at the very least. Definitely better than SoV's

https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/bp3km3/thanibomb_three_houses_rumors_summarycompilation/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No babies? Romance is no longer a weird headpat? Sign me righ-

"Dating between main character and students"

Uh lets wait on that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Every time I read 'Kingdom of Edelgard' my brain interprets it as 'Kingdom of Edgelord'

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barudak posted:

No babies? Romance is no longer a weird headpat? Sign me righ-

"Dating between main character and students"

Uh lets wait on that

You're more of a college TA and pretty much the same age, this is generally taboo but not against the rules technically.

*gets called before Dean and disciplinary board*

Wait, this IS explicitly against the rules? I signed a contract to that extent? There's a class action lawsuit?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
My most successful class will be Kissing 101

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yacht club blog posted:

We’re hard at work putting the final touches on King of Cards and Shovel Knight Showdown. After more than 5 years of development, the final pieces of the Shovel Knight saga will be complete! To celebrate this momentous occasion, we want to give everyone one last chance to get Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove at the lowest price ever! Remember, after the final games are included, the price increases to $39.99!
If you haven't bought shovel Knight, nows the time. It's currently $12.49

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

ihatepants posted:

Massgenie has $50 Nintendo eShop codes for $41.95 by joining the power deal. Perfect timing for the digital voucher program Nintendo just started.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Should be noted that the coupon associated with this only works for the first code you commit for.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

You're more of a college TA and pretty much the same age, this is generally taboo but not against the rules technically.

*gets called before Dean and disciplinary board*

Wait, this IS explicitly against the rules? I signed a contract to that extent? There's a class action lawsuit?

i guess a teacher banging a student is technically class action?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

bushisms.txt posted:

If you haven't bought shovel Knight, nows the time. It's currently $12.49

I guess it's finally time to bite the bullet and buy it again to replace my 3ds version.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

quote:

- Dedue was one of the bandits that attacked and killed Dimitri's family. Dimitri kept him as a bodyguard, which is why Dedue "owes him a great debt."

:stare: That's uh...quite something

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I thought the vouchers were super trashy marketing bullshit but I guess a lot of people are really, really excited about saving $20 after spending $100 first huh?

I would think the extreme couponerz would just buy a used physical copy for much cheaper, most of the games on that list can be had for cheaper AND you can resell it for extra savings.

Going over my usual websites, the internet is buzzing over the vouchers. Bizarre stuff.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only game on that list that I want but don't already have is SMM2. And I prefer getting Nintendo games physical anyway.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I thought the vouchers were super trashy marketing bullshit but I guess a lot of people are really, really excited about saving $20 after spending $100 first huh?

I would think the extreme couponerz would just buy a used physical copy for much cheaper, most of the games on that list can be had for cheaper AND you can resell it for extra savings.

Going over my usual websites, the internet is buzzing over the vouchers. Bizarre stuff.

It seems like a pretty bad deal to me too

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Nintendo is flaunting how much their games hold value. This is pretty much them saying don't expect price drops. And I'm pretty much all digital, so this is a great deal for certain games. Gonna get SMM2 and maybe astral chain, though I'm sure something else will come at e3 that might change that.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Every year their games go on sale in winter or right after it I forgot

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Yeah the games from over a year ago. Smash hasn't gone on sale yet.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MUSCULAR BEAVER posted:

Multiplayer doesn’t interest me on switch but downloading Mario courses seems to be locked behind their lovely online service

imagine having opinions this bad

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

KingSlime posted:

this is the same community that's still bickering about the price of the online service that costs as much as getting a bag of miss vickie's chips with your lunch

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Mass Genie has a deal going on right now. $42 for $50.

https://www.massgenie.com/nintendo-50-eshop-digital-code-f22162d0e5e5fa8a

So buy two of those for $84, get $120 worth of games... that's 30% off. Plus you get $5 back in Coins.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

KingSlime posted:

I don't get it either.