Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Bonobos posted:

Thanks for explaining, id be using the synology hybrid raid that would allow me to mix sizes so no concern there. Id just be concerned that the 10tb (presumably white) drives i just bought will mesh with the 8tb reds i shucked last year.

If you put 2x8tb and 2x10tb drives into SHR you are only going to get ~24tb useable. It treats every drive in the array like the smallest size size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Moey posted:

If you put 2x8tb and 2x10tb drives into SHR you are only going to get ~24tb useable. It treats every drive in the array like the smallest size size.

I was going match 6x 8tb drives with 2x 10tb drives. According to tbe synology calculator that will use one of the 10tb drives for parity. Thus give me 58tb usable. It seems a runabout way to do this but i decided to due to the fact that the 10tb drives were onky a few bucks more than the 8tb in a sale a few weeks back. And gives me an extra 2tb (56 tb usable in using 8x 8tb drives) for nearly the same price, as i had the 6x 8tb drives purchased last year.

Assuming synology's calculator on their website works, i should be fine only i had not considered if the 6 reds i have will mesh with the white drives i just bought. Im not even sure if the reds are 512 or 4k to be honest.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I don't know much about how SHR will handle mixed capacities but I don't think 8 TB and 10 TB drives will have different block sizes.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

How do I feel about this guy's build list: https://blog.briancmoses.com/2019/03/diy-nas-2019-edition.html ?

Using all 2.5" drives makes me feel slightly :ohdear: but I don't actually know anything about this sort of thing so :shrug:?

One thing to note is that those Seagate drives are definitely SMR, and the WD might be too; the WD Blue is a 7 mm high drive that miraculously packs 2 TB in there, and even the Toshiba L200 which is 9.5 mm may be SMR as well, but I wasn't able to get confirmation on those other drives (I did read the relevant info in the Seagate documentation.) As I've said before, SMR is fine for mainly storage, i.e. write seldom, read often, but might not be for a NAS with heavy re-writing, and I'm not even sure how they function in an array versus as single drives.

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW posted:

Anyway my questions are,

1) is this drive shot but is just not reporting errors?

2)Did I seriously kill a drive in just two months? If it's fine, why did it have no issues handling downloads at full speed for two months?

3)if I get a replacement drive is it just going to do this again in two months? The drive runs very cool so heat isn't doing anything to it.

4) I plan to set up Stablebit Drivepool and snapraid soon. Is a laptop drive, even if running at full speed, going to slow down the entire computer? Keep in mind this is all software stuff, no raid hardware is going to be used at all

Anyway I'd appreciate any input on this. I'd just say gently caress it and throw the drive out as 2gb isn't much anyway but I really like the idea of a drive just for stuff being constantly written to it all day for my security cameras and downloads, so a 2tb drive that does nothing else is nice, and it's not taking up space that an 8tb one would. Anyway thanks in advance for any insight!

A couple of thoughts: as we've previously covered in this thread, there are video/surveillance-specific drives that would be ideal for that workload: they're made to run 24/7 and can deal with dropping a few frames if necessary. You could use a separate drive for other work.

Also, as in the reply to the first comment above, that drive you bought may be SMR. If you have a heavy write/rewrite workload (as you've described) and it is SMR, that could cause the performance degradation over time as you've described. If that is indeed the case, the drive might be fine (and another example of the same model would have the same result.) You could test this out by grabbing everything important off the drive, reformatting it (so fragmentation isn't an issue) and trying to do transfer tests (use, for example, CrystalDiskMark.) If you get normal speeds (for the sequential tests) then the drive is fine. You just can't use it for the surveillance system for all the reasons described thus far.

Do laptop hard drives fragment quicker than 3.5" drives? Only asking because I've never had this issue with any of my other *checks notes* 22 hard drives

Edit: just checked and windows 10 says the drive is 0% fragmented

No, but fragmentation is a function of the amount of data and drive capacity; filling a drive will cause fragmentation as you have to re-write stuff, and a more capacious drive will give you more free space to play around with before filling up. Note that the aforementioned SMR situation wouldn't indicate fragmentation to you, the end user, but the drive would be furiously trying to relocate and re-write data behind the scenes.

I thought SSDs weren't great for write speed (more for read speed?) and it's basically a fact that they die from too many writes, right? I would imagine my surveillance program writing to it literally 24 hours a day would kill it within a year or two, no?

SSDs are better than HDDs at basically everything other than long-term data retention and endurance. Modern SSDs are difficult to actually wear out, and aside from that they're quite inexpensive now (<$100/TB) so if you did use one for surveillance and it burned out you'd just replace it with an even cheaper drive down the road.

Enos Cabell posted:

The biggest downside of building a nice server and automating more stuff, is that it makes it way too easy to fill up your drives. Bring on the next big sale of 10tb EasyStores!

We kind of just missed it; the drives were $160 about 24 hours ago but have since risen to $180 before I could get home from work and post that. :shrug:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Bonobos posted:

This is a good question. I was planning on using a mix of 8 and 10tb shucks in a raid, is this not doable? How can can you tell if the drive is 512 vs 4k ?

It should show up when the drive is hooked up via SATA, not sure if it will if its hooked up via USB. The 2 10TB drives I ordered back at the start of april shipped today, so I'll soon be able to share what is inside em. I'm going to run chkdsk first which will probably take a week though - it seems to be quite slow via USB3.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't think you can mix sector sizes but I'd think most modern high-capacity hard drives are 4096b sectors? Both my 8 tb white and 8 tb reds read as: "Sector Sizes: 512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical" in smartctl.

I think most are 4096 internally but 512 logically, however I have a 12TB WD drive in my PC that is 4096 physical and logical. So I couldn't mix that with my existing 6 + 8TB red pros, and likely not with the 2 10TB drives that are arriving.

Moey posted:

SHR actually works differently - it seems to make a RAID V set using the smallest capacity drive over all drives, then if > 1 drive has capacity remaining it does RAID V on the remaining space again, and so on until it is out of drives

So 6 + 6 + 8 + 8 + 10
=> 5 drive 6TB RAID V is 24TB
=> 2 + 2 + 4 remaining
=> 3 drive 2TB RAID V is 4TB
=> 2TB remaining, nothing available to mirror
=> 28 in total.

Ika fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 15, 2019

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
Looking for some advice here.

I have a 2-bay Synology which currently has 2 3TB drives in RAID1, which are approaching 5 years old. I'm replacing them with 8TB drives, but I want to preserve my data. My question is what is the best way to do this?

If I pull one drive out and put an 8TB drive in there, will the 3TB drive duplicate to the 8TB drive while maintaining a single volume on the 8TB drive? In this scenario, I'd just install the second 8TB drive and rebuild the array.

Would it be best to break the 3TB RAID1, pull a 3TB drive, install an 8TB drive, copy my data to it, and then install the second 8TB drive and create a RAID1 array? Or will this format the number 1 8TB drive in order to build a new array?

What's the best way to do this?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Synology has a walk through for that: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/storage_pool_expand_replace_disk

It takes a while but it is legit safest way to do it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Ika posted:

SHR actually works differently - it seems to make a RAID V set using the smallest capacity drive over all drives, then if > 1 drive has capacity remaining it does RAID V on the remaining space again, and so on until it is out of drives

So 6 + 6 + 8 + 8 + 10
=> 5 drive 6TB RAID V is 24TB
=> 2 + 2 + 4 remaining
=> 3 drive 2TB RAID V is 4TB
=> 2TB remaining, nothing available to mirror
=> 28 in total.

Never knew SHR did this!

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal

Axe-man posted:

Synology has a walk through for that: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledgebase/DSM/help/DSM/StorageManager/storage_pool_expand_replace_disk

It takes a while but it is legit safest way to do it.
Okay, I'll be doing it this weekend. Hopefully everything goes according to plan.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

We kind of just missed it; the drives were $160 about 24 hours ago but have since risen to $180 before I could get home from work and post that. :shrug:

As possibly a consolation prize 8TB WD Element drives are going for $140 today.

I've got like $30 in Amazon credit so I think I'm going to finally pull the trigger on this so I can finally replace the 4TB drive that lives inside my PC. I've been storing my games on my ancient USB 2.0 Drobo and that thing is a bit wheezy for anything other than video playback. Offloading my 1TB game collection is going to help a ton.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

You can get the 8TB Easystore on Amazon for $167.78.

TBH, I'm not really sure if they're worth the extra 30 bucks over the WD 8TB Elements. The Elements seem to mostly have EMAZ helium drives, with a scattering of air drives. Same warranty length as the Easystore.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thermopyle posted:

You can get the 8TB Easystore on Amazon for $167.78.

TBH, I'm not really sure if they're worth the extra 30 bucks over the WD 8TB Elements. The Elements seem to mostly have EMAZ helium drives, with a scattering of air drives. Same warranty length as the Easystore.

Are people really returning reassembled drives after shucking for warranty coverage? I assumed that shucking the drive violated the warranty, and we were self-insuring with how much cheaper the drives are.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Unless they can prove you broke it by shucking they can't deny warranty, in the us at least.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do you have to put it back together, or return all the pieces at least? Or can you just ship back the drive without all the plastic enclosure.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You will have to return the drive in the original condition, which means you need to keep all the plastic enclosures because they're serialled.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Do you have to put it back together, or return all the pieces at least? Or can you just ship back the drive without all the plastic enclosure.

I fully expect they'll want it together for warranty work. They're easy as hell to reassemble.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

If anyone was wondering, any 'warranty void if removed' stickers are not legally enforceable.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The warranty is only good for a year so you can throw the shells and SATA USB-SATA bridge away after that. I kept three of the 10 outer shells and all of the inner shells and stacked them together for some space savings when I moved recently. In another couple months I’m just throwing them in the garbage and accepting drive losses (why I got 2 more to begin with, which is way below the cost of just buying more expensive drives with 3 year warranties in comparison). As drive prices keep going down it seems silly to pay more up front for longer warranties for home use where your cost of labor is approaching $0 / hr.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

^^^ The mybooks have 3 year warrenty.

FYI: So the two 10TB mybooks I received are both "WD100EZAZ" drives (Amazon UK).

Can I put old 1-3tb drives in the enclosures, or do the bridge chips only work with the corresponding drives?

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

Ika posted:

^^^ The mybooks have 3 year warrenty.

FYI: So the two 10TB mybooks I received are both "WD100EZAZ" drives (Amazon UK).

Can I put old 1-3tb drives in the enclosures, or do the bridge chips only work with the corresponding drives?

At least with the Easystore enclosure, it will take any SATA drive.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

thiazi posted:

At least with the Easystore enclosure, it will take any SATA drive.

My experience with this disagrees, wonder if there's a variation between models. The USB->SATA bridge they're using in the 8TB ones I bought a couple years ago definitely wouldn't work with any other drive I attached, and I've read reports of people having to sever a trace for it to work with a drive it wasn't keyed to.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

necrobobsledder posted:

The warranty is only good for a year so you can throw the shells and SATA USB-SATA bridge away after that. I kept three of the 10 outer shells and all of the inner shells and stacked them together for some space savings when I moved recently. In another couple months I’m just throwing them in the garbage and accepting drive losses (why I got 2 more to begin with, which is way below the cost of just buying more expensive drives with 3 year warranties in comparison). As drive prices keep going down it seems silly to pay more up front for longer warranties for home use where your cost of labor is approaching $0 / hr.

Both the Easystore and the Element have 2 year warranties.

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

G-Prime posted:

My experience with this disagrees, wonder if there's a variation between models. The USB->SATA bridge they're using in the 8TB ones I bought a couple years ago definitely wouldn't work with any other drive I attached, and I've read reports of people having to sever a trace for it to work with a drive it wasn't keyed to.

I have an old 1TB WD Green in my 8TB Easystore enclosure, worked immediately with no fooling around. Copying files right now. I guess YMMV.

thiazi fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 17, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

G-Prime posted:

Yeah, I had to sever a trace on mine to get it to work. Works fine though and I just kept one enclosure untouched in case I need to rma a drive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I am zfs send'ing a snapshot from a freebsd 12.0 server (OpenZFS) to an ubuntu 16.04 (ZFS-on-linux) server. After transmission of the snapshot is complete, the Ubuntu server is just spinning forever. 100% CPU consumption on that core. I even tried deleting the older snapshot and just sending it as a unit instead of incrementally and it's still just spinning forever. Is there literally any bug that anyone has run into that might bear on that?

As dumb as this sounds I am kind of suspecting the processor. This chip has a tendency to just freeze under load, I have had it freeze running a Plex server VM or an ffmpeg that it just never did before I swapped the chip from a known-good W3565 to an L5640 from ebay. It is not the processor this Z400 was originally designed for, I did install the BIOS updates that supposedly support it but I wonder.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Got an email yesterday from my Seagate contact. Exos X16 16TB drives should be hitting channel sales by July.

e:

I'm actually pretty sure Westmere was never designed to be drop in compatible with Bloomfield.

e2: my bad, they should be pin-compatible, just my 2c, though, there were some...interesting incompatibilities that came up in those early tick/tocks w/r/t BIOS, etc.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 08:41 on May 17, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

I am zfs send'ing a snapshot from a freebsd 12.0 server (OpenZFS) to an ubuntu 16.04 (ZFS-on-linux) server. After transmission of the snapshot is complete, the Ubuntu server is just spinning forever. 100% CPU consumption on that core. I even tried deleting the older snapshot and just sending it as a unit instead of incrementally and it's still just spinning forever. Is there literally any bug that anyone has run into that might bear on that?

As dumb as this sounds I am kind of suspecting the processor. This chip has a tendency to just freeze under load, I have had it freeze running a Plex server VM or an ffmpeg that it just never did before I swapped the chip from a known-good W3565 to an L5640 from ebay. It is not the processor this Z400 was originally designed for, I did install the BIOS updates that supposedly support it but I wonder.
I'll do some testing of the ZoF port that iX is working on, to see if I can replicate this outside of Ubuntu (don't ask me to test on Ubuntu :ohdear:). Definitely want to avoid having a bug like that sneak into production.

EDIT: Welp, I've run into a reproducible issue. :(

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 17, 2019

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is anyone using Synology Surveillance and DS Cam? I got it all setup but I’m not convinced that DS Cam and my phone are working as a geofence to turn home mode on and off.

I can’t properly connect to the camera when I’m not on my wifi which is a good sign but I’m also not getting any notifications so say it’s turning on and off.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CMH78R5

$79 for a 10TB Western Digital hard drive. Amazon Prime eligible :toot:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

already sold out and back up to 234 for me.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

gently caress. Missed it. Would have been a nice parity drive...

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The 16TB dual drive units are about $167 right NOW.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
As of this moment...

You can still get 2X 8TB for $170, although who knows when it will deliver.

Or a single 8TB for $105.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

redeyes posted:

The 16TB dual drive units are about $167 right NOW.

So how does the controller work on this board? It says RAID0 ready...could I shuck it and put two lower capacity drives in it to RAID0 them automatically or?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

So how does the controller work on this board? It says RAID0 ready...could I shuck it and put two lower capacity drives in it to RAID0 them automatically or?
I would loving hope they give the option of at least mirroring the data instead of halving the MTBF for no advantage whatsoever (it's a USB3.0/5Gbps interface and even RAID0 with streaming data (which most data isn't, unless your write patterns are very specific) won't satuate that.
The real answer, of course, is that none of us have any loving idea - but StorageReviews seem to think similar devices in the range can do mirroring.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

As of this moment...

You can still get 2X 8TB for $170, although who knows when it will deliver.

Unfortunately that's out of stock as of now :(

Appreciate this deal hunting

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Heners_UK posted:

I went ahead and ordered it. I don't need any new storage right this minute but the time is approaching in the next couple months where I've got to do the whole song and dance to upgrade all the drives in one of my pools to get more space.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Heners_UK posted:

Just do what I do, get the slickdeals app and put up keywords. I have alerts set for "western digital". I was alerted to it as I was getting ready for work this morning

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Grabbed 6 of the 10TB drives last night when they were still on sale. They state shipping on 3/6. Pray for me that it doesn't get cancelled. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
I just bought another seagate backup plus 8TB from Amazon to fully populate my DS1019+. I've ran FreeNAS forever but i have been impressed by the synology - it's like a grown-up Drobo.