Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

chaosapiant posted:

Whose better to land then? Cousins/siblings or courtiers?

Others have answered this, and it's a common question. Personally, I'm in favor of not landing my dynasty too much in my own realm (my dynasty usually controls between 10-20% of my realm).

Be advised that you should definitely hold your dynasty small if you're Muslim, otherwise you will suffer a decadence death spiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

binge crotching posted:

That's where you either just ignore it (distant relatives aren't much of an inbred risk), or embrace Zoro.

Huh? embrace who?

e: oh, Zoroastrianism. Fatigue strikes again.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Love too embrace teh gay blade.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Some really good and expansive answers up in here, up in here. Thanks! Making my children loathe one another while I revel in the blood of the goat sounds the way to go to me.

Is there a breakpoint in opinions where folks are more likely to plot against me? I’ve been constantly gifting courtiers and what not to get them to like me.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started with with a random world one time, and the religion had Divine Marriage and Bloodthirsty Gods, so I was basically the evil empire, which is how I played it. Never sacrificed so many people before.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

chaosapiant posted:

Is there a breakpoint in opinions where folks are more likely to plot against me? I’ve been constantly gifting courtiers and what not to get them to like me.
there's tons of breakpoints for individual cases so this would require a more specific question to get something super useful. but that said, 10 vs -10 makes a lot of difference, so just chase green numbers.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Master seductress is game breakingly good for any female ruler, because the game makes no distinction between how much a man wants to gently caress a lady and how much he respects her. So even once you have kids, seduction focus is very useful for gay women if you want to set it to easy mode. There might be some difficulty finding enough gay women in the area to level up to master seductress though.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Doesn't the master seductress trait stop affecting people after you're a certain age?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

Some really good and expansive answers up in here, up in here. Thanks! Making my children loathe one another while I revel in the blood of the goat sounds the way to go to me.

The choice to join plots is based on their opinion of you, opinion of the plotter, and their traits, so it's different for everyone. That said, you really don't need to be bribing random courtiers on the off chance that someone starts a plot, that's just excessive. Plus once someone is in on a plot, raising their opinion won't make them leave. The best defense is just to get the most qualified spymaster you can (invite someone from the character finder if you don't have one) and make sure he likes you. And if you have stray courtiers around who don't like you, you can ask them to leave or marry them off outside your court.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The historical answer is to use family ties to better consolidate power, and land your sons like a loving father who just wants his offspring to share what he has to bequeath, but then after passing power to the next ruler, kill anyone who dares to oppose your rule or fragment your realm. Live each ruler's life like it's their only one.

There's a ridiculous amount of instances in history of rulers wishing for their sons to get along and share power jointly only for the heirs to fall on eachothers' throats.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

SlothfulCobra posted:

Live each ruler's life like it's their only one.

Agreed. I also think you should adopt a grand strategy though.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Is there a decent lets play series that are fairly recent, but aren't a weird gimmick run?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No, all the good ones are hella out of date. I could start a new run and record it without narration, if you want. I'm not saying I'm a great player, but it's something to watch

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Best Friends posted:

Master seductress is game breakingly good for any female ruler, because the game makes no distinction between how much a man wants to gently caress a lady and how much he respects her. So even once you have kids, seduction focus is very useful for gay women if you want to set it to easy mode. There might be some difficulty finding enough gay women in the area to level up to master seductress though.

up until the absolute second you turn 45 and master seductress goes inactive because your vagina is now eternally dry

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
You do have long reign to make up some of the difference at least

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
And if you can achieve immortality before hitting age 45, yowza.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Got a new game start going and while it's early it seems more interesting. I'm playing a tribe/clan/country in Africa called Songhay in the earliest year available, 867 I think? My son convinced me to join the "Soul Eaters" which seems to be devil worshippers for Africans. I can take concubines and in general I feel I have a bit of a groove down. Anyone play one of these neato African nationtribes? Do they stay cool?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosapiant posted:

Got a new game start going and while it's early it seems more interesting. I'm playing a tribe/clan/country in Africa called Songhay in the earliest year available, 867 I think? My son convinced me to join the "Soul Eaters" which seems to be devil worshippers for Africans. I can take concubines and in general I feel I have a bit of a groove down. Anyone play one of these neato African nationtribes? Do they stay cool?

It can be really hard to expand sometimes, depending on how the nations on the northern coast are doing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

african pagans tend to get roped in by the muslims along the north african coast, yeah. as neat as the africans are, the muslims are the big power on the planet in those first few bookmarks so if you start out right next to them you had better have a big-P Plan for breaking them apart.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I had some fun

FreudianSlippers posted:

Mission accomplished:

Now to spend the next couple of centuries until the end of the game consolidating all my god drat bloodlines. They just keep piling up but because I've got eldership inheritance I keep ping ponging around different branches of the dynasty so no one has all the six or so bloodlines and some just have one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The little Christian kingdom in Ethiopia can be a fun start, but it's tense as hell.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

in 769 there's a muslim tribal kingdom in marrakesh that is loving perfect for turning into a merchant republic and raking in how incredibly bonerriffic awesome that is too

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Coolguye posted:

in 769 there's a muslim tribal kingdom in marrakesh that is loving perfect for turning into a merchant republic and raking in how incredibly bonerriffic awesome that is too
With HIP, you can turn any coastal duchy into a merchant republic at game start, and I'm thinking about doing it with Flanders and seeing how rich they'll get.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Crap, so Lesbian Queen Deidre's husband dropped dead of a peasant revolt (setting him as Steward may not have been a great idea). She still needs to spit out a kid to keep this game going (she's 24 years old now), but somehow there are only two Lustful options for husband with acceptable stats in the entire world. One of them is 60, the other is 40. I know women in this game are more or less hardcoded to hit menopause at 45, but do men dry up in the same fashion?

Other than that, it seems the only viable option may be managing to kill her sister's husband, the King of Aquitaine. She has like six kids currently, but somehow her marriage to him is *not* matrilineal so none of them matter. I'm thinking if I could bump the King off, that would plop her in as heir in the event Deidre does not manage any kids?

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 16, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no. men lose some fertility after 50 but they never go infertile. get the 40 year old, he's still prime for boners.

e: regarding your backup plan, yeah sure if it keeps you from game overing. if you're not gonna game over from a succession though it's not that big of a deal and you can probably just roll with it and recover. i wouldn't worry THAT much though, at 24 your girl is still prime fertility, so just get remarried and make sure groom an heir/family focus is on and you should be good.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 16, 2019

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

chaosapiant posted:

These African tribes are pretty cool, yes. They are also relatively easy, at least in the 867 bookmark. 4 of your holy sites are in African Pagan territory, no reason to bother the Muslims to reform your faith. Pick a tribe (there's a cool tribe with a special bloodline that enables enatic [female only] succession), use the "become king of ..." ambition to subjugate all other pagans in your kingdom, then play the marriage game and use your once in a lifetime subjugation CB to unite more and more of the African Pagan lands. The new African trade routes are really helpful for escaping the tribal poverty trap, since you usually don't have a lot of good options for raiding. The Muslims usually won't bother you if you're king level and above.

Eldership succession is really amazing for unreformed pagans, since your lands won't be split up upon death. If a particular elder won't stop voting for the worst possible heirs, ask them to leave your court/plot to kill them/imprison them/etc. But even if your heir is not that good, it's still a 1000 times better than suffering under elective gavelkind. Upon reforming the faith, you should definitely pick the African pagan unique doctrine (Totem-Guardians), because otherwise you lose access to Eldership succession, and get elective gavelkind as your inheritance mechanic. Then just build up your holdings and tech levels until you can adopt feudalism, at which point you can do whatever you want. Push east into Abyssinia, or north towards the Mediterranean coast. If you're emperor of all African pagans, you're likely safe from any threat but Jihads (and crusades).

They are quite a bit of fun to play, in stark contrast to before Holy Fury, where playing African pagans were among the most difficult starts if you did not intend to convert to Islam immediately.

Randaconda posted:

With HIP, you can turn any coastal duchy into a merchant republic at game start, and I'm thinking about doing it with Flanders and seeing how rich they'll get.

Pretty rich, but not as filthy rich as a merchant republic in India would be, provided your capital has a Silk Road trade post. Did you know that you can use your unique merchant republic CB to seize coastal Silk Road trade posts?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 16, 2019

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
So where do we see this new court limit thing?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The option just popped up in my entirely vanilla game to prune my gigantic court for 5 gold. Sure, leave with my blessing, whoever you are.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

fuf posted:

So where do we see this new court limit thing?

mouse over the 'court' tab and it will show you your court limit and how it is calculated.

it's pretty generous. a feudal king can have ~50 people hanging around (depending on Majesty research) without hitting the cap. i'm interested to see how this affects the logistics of raising your kids at home, ostensibly this should make them a lot more fertile.

i'm gonna start a muslim merchant republic game to see how it affects them this evening.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 16, 2019

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wonder if it reduces or increases the overall pool of courtiers (to invite from court to court). And if the latter, does it have an impact on performance?

If the former, there's always the create-character intrigue options.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yay, Queen Deidre finally managed a son. A giant with poor health and my niece is immediately out to kill him (I can't seem to do anything about this, she's hanging out in Aquitaine, won't end her plot and plotting return death against her won't go higher than 47%), but yay.

Unrelated question, I declared war on Norway to claim a border county. Norway has fielded no armies except for one, indicated by a flag bearer on a horse. He landed this guy in Ireland, it's proceeding to run around all over the place and do absolutely nothing. I can't attack him, he can't attack me. What is this?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

If the army is gray it may be one of his vassals attacking one of your vassals or some other nearby power.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's red, which is annoying since this is turning into yet another war that quickly got to 99% in my favor, but Norway won't send any armies (besides this guy), so I can't finish him.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Do you mean he always gets away or that even if yours is sitting on the same province they won't fight?

If the latter: huh, weird.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Demon_Corsair posted:

Is there a decent lets play series that are fairly recent, but aren't a weird gimmick run?

Could watch many a true nerd's series. Just before holy fury, literally his first time playing so be prepared to be angry at him, but fun enough. He's just playing Cromwell for the sake of doing so

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Oh, I see what the problem is. Norway actually has the Templars on hire, they're just running around labeled as Army of Norway. And Deidre isn't a heretic, so we can't actually do anything to each other but praise Jesus to each other as we kill everyone else.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DeathChicken posted:

Oh, I see what the problem is. Norway actually has the Templars on hire, they're just running around labeled as Army of Norway. And Deidre isn't a heretic, so we can't actually do anything to each other but praise Jesus to each other as we kill everyone else.
Strange, I would expect AI to know that religious orders can't fight in non-religious wars.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Aside from GoT mods, are there any other good must have mods out there?

Edit: bonus points if there is a solid Witcher mod that does justice to the politics and eccentricities of the Witcher universe as well as the GoT mod does.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 17, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Strange, I would expect AI to know that religious orders can't fight in non-religious wars.

they sometimes pull this poo poo if they think there's a chance of getting you excommunicated as part of their war strategy. i've been sandbagged like this before. however, getting someone excommunicated can be a real trick, so it's possible they had the resources to do it and then got distracted by something else, and suddenly did not have the resources anymore.

the piety cost of hiring the Templars could have been the difference, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Aside from GoT mods, are there any other good must have mods out there?

Edit: bonus points if there is a solid Witcher mod that does justice to the politics and eccentricities of the Witcher universe as well as the GoT mod does.

After the End