Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Captain Baal posted:

I liked Dabura more when he was in SANDLAND

Something good...from 90s Toei?????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Dabura is a loser jobber and I love him

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Dabura is cool and he served as a reminder that the divine pantheon & offshoots thereof that were established earlier in DB were still at least somewhat relevant in this brave new world of alien monsters. He helps makes the jump from Buu to Beerus less of a thematic shift.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
If you look at his outfit, you'll notice he's actually Grande Padre's evil twin.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Wouldn't be surprised if the demons are mostly wannabes in the grand scheme of things, with most of them in HFIL knowing their place in the universe as people who are there to do a job.

Although the staff of Freiza's personal torment clearly enjoy their work.

Incidentally, Super confirms HFIL is canon.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if the demons are mostly wannabes in the grand scheme of things, with most of them in HFIL knowing their place in the universe as people who are there to do a job.

Although the staff of Freiza's personal torment clearly enjoy their work.

Incidentally, Super confirms HFIL is canon.

I don't think Super actually features the Oni or any of the previously set up locations, but yeah it does confirm that Dragonball Hell is basically a nice place of rehabilitation that only sucks if you're an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 16, 2019

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hell sounds better than prison.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I thought Freeza's personal hell was a paradise just cause he's such an rear end in a top hat that regular hell was fun to him?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheHan posted:

I thought Freeza's personal hell was a paradise just cause he's such an rear end in a top hat that regular hell was fun to him?

No that was Dabura

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Frieza's time in Hell was spent literally hanging in a tree while angels and teddy bears sang songs and danced happily around them non-stop.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Gotta hand it to him. Stuck in a cocoon and he still managed to train by mentally murdering Goku over and over. Now that is dedication to hatred.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

No that was Dabura

I thought Dabura was literally sent to Heaven because he had enough pull in Hell to keep it from being any kind of punishment?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Shindragon posted:

Gotta hand it to him. Stuck in a cocoon and he still managed to train by mentally murdering Goku over and over. Now that is dedication to hatred.

Image training is a long time mainstay in any martial arts manga.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Captain France posted:

I thought Dabura was literally sent to Heaven because he had enough pull in Hell to keep it from being any kind of punishment?

Yeah. It was a completely logical move and it ended up with Dabura completely reforming so good job, King Yemma.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Rhonne posted:

Hell sounds better than prison.

As the old joke goes, DBZ Hell is basically prison; you go there when you gently caress up or cross someone powerful, get super buff, and sometimes get out early for good behaviour.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Freezie breeze is like one of the only people still left in hell after about what? 764-779 for his first round of death? 15 years. Cell probably didn't even last 2 and eventually repented to reincarnate.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Does this mean there's someone out there called Llec to go with Uub?

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Ztidar would be old enough to join the gang by now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't think Hell in the canon version of things is a place you can wander around in like the first anime. Frieza's own little corner of hell was more than likely a space crafted for his own torment/to drive him to repentance.

Everyone else down there is probably the same case.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Well, King Yama certainly seemed like he considered Frieza a special case, seemingly even aside from his already having escaped once via Dragon Balls.

I could easily see Frieza's situation being a particularly special one, with an entire chamber of Hell being created just for him. Heck, Cell probably got one too, even if he cracked (probably) a lot faster. Vegeta might have gotten one too if he'd stayed dead while still Definitely Evil rather than his arguable state as of Super.

Most people probably get the Gen Pop sort we saw all the way back in Z, even people like Doctor Gero and so forth.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think uub only exists as a favor to goku so cell prob got reincarnated as an amoeba or something

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

As of Super Frieza is the only permenant resident of Hell, as everyone else got with the program and allowed their souls to be purified.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I do have a hard time believing Dr. Gero managed to get over his hate boner for Goku to be purified, but maybe there's a baby out there somewhere that still really really hates Goku

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Judge Tesla posted:

Does this mean there's someone out there called Llec to go with Uub?

Funny you say that.

When the Dragonball Anime Adventure Game, a traditional roleplaying game using the Fuzion engine, was not renewed to complete their Cell Saga supplement, the creator released the supplement as the "Llec Saga For The Magic Wishing Sphere Omega Adventure Game" online.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

I do have a hard time believing Dr. Gero managed to get over his hate boner for Goku to be purified, but maybe there's a baby out there somewhere that still really really hates Goku

There's nothing more pure than hating Goku.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah. It was a completely logical move and it ended up with Dabura completely reforming so good job, King Yemma.

King Yenma is gonna get Dabura to fight Moro

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

CharlestonJew posted:

The main thing is that, according to Toriyama, only Freeza out of all villains is purely evil. Dr. Gero could've repented through his love for his son or something.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

CharlestonJew posted:

And that baby's name: Bulla

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Well, King Yama certainly seemed like he considered Frieza a special case, seemingly even aside from his already having escaped once via Dragon Balls.

I could easily see Frieza's situation being a particularly special one, with an entire chamber of Hell being created just for him. Heck, Cell probably got one too, even if he cracked (probably) a lot faster. Vegeta might have gotten one too if he'd stayed dead while still Definitely Evil rather than his arguable state as of Super.

Most people probably get the Gen Pop sort we saw all the way back in Z, even people like Doctor Gero and so forth.

Cell was specifically designed to be evil what with him needing to eat humans for his biological imperative. I'm sure Cell's redemption was first waiting for the logical loop of "How Can I be Perfect if I Lost?" to go through the stages of grief while Yamma eventually let him cry it off and tell him he can go through another larval stage if he's a good boy. The biggest issue between this was the depression of watching Gohan never be a relevant fighter again and getting bored about him being just a cool dad.

Frieza and Gero? They likely burned the brightest in their hatred of one dumbass alone. Yamma probably has an ulcer shaped like Goku too, but c'mon here, guys!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
From my understanding, Japanese people really like Frieza and Americans really like cell. And Americans like Gohan a lot whereas Japanese people prefer Goku. And this has to do with the fact that Americans started with Dragon Ball Z which starts with Gohan at 4 years old, the same age as the audience. Dragon Ball was the start for Japanese fans and it starts with Goku at 10 years old, the same age as the audience.

Americans grew up with Gohan and so his iconic villain is their favorite. Japanese people grew up with Goku. And so his iconic villain is their favorite.

And no one holds the Majin Buu saga as better quality than the prior two. Not even the Brazilians and they love Dragonball to a borderline unhealthy degree.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I hold the buu saga as better quality than the Android Saga, actually

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I feel like most people only remember the cell games when they think of that chunk of dbz. the android saga makes way more sense after you learn how toriyama changed who the villain was like 4 times

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i'm canadian and my favourite saga is the frieza saga because frieza has gorgeous abs, does this help or hurt your theory

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dr. Gero and 19 suck hard and all the Cells really aren't that compelling.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also as an american, I would assume the reason we like Cell is because our Cell is incredibly catty and affable. Unless I missed something with JP Cell, it is a very standard Wakamoto villain and Cell in Japanese is nowhere near the level of self-aware that the one Funimation portrayed through Dameon Clarke is. The Gohan thing and final confrontation definitely play a factor in it, but I would not assume it is because Americans grew up with Gohan like that means anything to us. We still love Goku and Vegeta the most after all and a good portion of the North American viewership did not even see the original Dragon Ball tv airing or even the one that happened later when Funimation tried it again. The love for Goku entirely came about from Z since he is the main character after all.

Also Buu Saga is actually pretty beloved by the Japanese fanbase too afair, Cell is the only villain and storyline who doesn't receive near universal love from them and even that part of the story is still liked enough.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 18, 2019

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Cell also was the underdog for most of his arc which is a ice change of pace from most DB villains

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Killingyouguy! posted:

i'm canadian and my favourite saga is the frieza saga because frieza has gorgeous abs, does this help or hurt your theory

i'm also canadian and i'm gay 4 goku

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Cell also was the underdog for most of his arc which is a ice change of pace from most DB villains

Yeah, the period where Cell legit could have won in his own storyline is shockingly brief VS having at least one or more people around who could kick his rear end inside out.

Even when he went into his perfect form, he was stronger to a good degree yes, but not as overwhelmingly so as Freeza (or Buu) by comparison.

Perfect example- Vegeta has a desperate, all or nothing, flashy beam attack that could kill them all.

Freeza shrugs it off without issue, Cell is gravely wounded by it but survives due to his extreme healing factor.

Freeza was just so ridiculously stronger than everyone until SSJ came out, it was ridiculous. For his character, it makes sense.

For Cell...well he hasn't really got a character until recently. Which I think is a huge problem with him.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also all the cast gets a good shot at him and he struggles through it until the cast gently caress it up.
and thus begins the tradition of the cast's (read Vegeets and Goku) hubris being their biggest downfall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Burkion posted:

Perfect example- Vegeta has a desperate, all or nothing, flashy beam attack that could kill them all.

Freeza shrugs it off without issue, Cell is gravely wounded by it but survives due to his extreme healing factor.

Not correct. Cell survives because Vegeta deliberately missed. Healing factor or not, had Vegeta decided to hit with his Final Flash, he could've one-shot Cell - and destroyed the entire Earth with him, killing everyone, himself included.

Admittedly, Vegeta only got that far because Cell got cocky and thought Vegeta couldn't ever hurt him. Which, you know, was a fair enough payback since the only reason Cell got that far was Vegeta's own hubris.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Also all the cast gets a good shot at him and he struggles through it until the cast gently caress it up.
and thus begins the tradition of the cast's (read Vegeets and Goku) hubris being their biggest downfall.

It started a bit earlier, when Bulma points out that they can just ask Shenlong to tell them where Dr. Gero is and destroy his lab before the Androids even wake up and literally everyone decides they'd rather just fight them.

Literally the entire arc could've been avoided if they listened to Bulma instead of going BUT COOL FIGHTS at her suggestion.