Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And there's the unsatisfying Chris win.

edit - spoilered just because it's at the top of a page.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Khanstant posted:

Just wait, there will be a twist and somebody will get a chance to get a Dark Mentor and the camera pans to a crude Russell statue made from salvaged wood, dripping with blood and broken idols.

He proceeds to just be a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone, all the time. On the finale he appears visibly devastated, confused and frustrated he didn't win AGAIN despite claiming he played the game the best. Jeff patiently explains to Russell he was never a contestant.

I'd be scared of that coming true except I completely buy into the "this is to bribe Sandra and Rob back for an all winners" season and that means there's no need for Russell 'cause he never won.

Non future season spoiler post: Coaching's for winners and Russell's a loser.

edit; Oh gently caress, I forgot that technically Rob beat Russell too. Ok, now I'm just giggling at the idea of some random stranger having an imaginary fit. I hope Natalie White gets a cameo as Glinda.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 16, 2019

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I can’t wait to bid on those Rob and Sandra statues at the end of next season.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Raxivace posted:

I can’t wait to bid on those Rob and Sandra statues at the end of next season.

Hope you've got a fat wallet because I plan on living in those loving things.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm putting my foot down: those are busts, not statues.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
It's in the season name: they're Idols.

If you can drag one into tribal, you can use it like any other Hidden Immunity Idol.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I don't understand the fire challenge, and I thought Chris was that other guy that looks like Chris.

Still, I didnt hate anyone enough this season to quit watching, like I usually do...

Desire for next season: Fireball Island, and the big statues shoot lava.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

It’s very clear they thought a returning player would win the EOE challenge and the idol was to give them a chance.

I’m sure they’re mad a random person ended up getting it and winning.

Also, I never noticed Wendy’s insane snaggle tooth until tonight

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 16, 2019

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
Chris is totally humorless and (strangely) insanely arrogant to boot. What a disaster.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
The only winning move really was, for 27 days, not to play. What a prescient thread title.

Big thumbs down on this season for me, but hook this season 39 poo poo straight to my veins, this is going to be terrible in a good way

Frustrated
Jun 12, 2003

Garbage end to a decent season. They should have only done the return from edge the first time, the second to push 5 back to 6 was way too late.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Survivor bad

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
I'm surprised Chris was pretty aggressive at FTC and seems to have not rubbed anyone the wrong way on EoE for 27 days, fair play to him he did everything he could to make big moves over the 3 days and it paid off. Best winner of the 3 despite the twist.

Yay for next season being a fresh cast with no returning players(did have a giggle at those heads on the island), I don't mind them but they work better in full casts like heroes vs villians etc where everyone is on the same level compared to 4 returnees typically stomping a bunch of newbies.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Gosh I laughed and laughed and laughed at the reveal of the next season gimmick. That is hilarious.

I was pulling for Lauren so I had time to talk myself into someone else so maybe that is why I am not as mad about Chris as others are even though I did not remember who that was when he came back in the game. But that was basically the scenario I envisioned pretty early in the season playing out, except with Chris playing the role of Joe so I feel good about that win due to it making me feel smart.

I think Gavin ended up making a pretty compelling case because I was against the idea of him winning basically until tribal but props for him for making me okay with it had it played out like that.

I think Julie might have received a vote or two had she given the speech she gave in confessional to the jury. Her game sounded much more reasonable in that context. But she didn’t sell it at all against the jury.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 16, 2019

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Did jury member Reem even know there was someone named Gavin in the game?

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Chris is totally humorless and (strangely) insanely arrogant to boot. What a disaster.

Million dollars for 13 days playing Survivor, he has reason to be arrogant!
(Also 28 days with nothing to do but cozy up to the jury and unlimited practice fire-making.)

Between this and Game of Thrones, there's been a lot of disappointment in tv this week.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
What are you whiny losers talking about? This was an amazing outcome. It was not only a hilariously shocking last minute twist, but the exact perfect way to ensure that this twist is N E V E R used again.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Spergatory posted:

What are you whiny losers talking about? This was an amazing outcome. It was not only a hilariously shocking last minute twist, but the exact perfect way to ensure that this twist is N E V E R used again.

Yeah also on the positive side, Devens didn't win.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
In the end, the winner was us, the fans!

I do wonder what happens if Rick doesn’t use that idol on Gavin, keeping Chris there.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Honestly? I am very okay with this outcome.

Were there too many idols in the game? Yes. Did they have to cram 2 hours of Chris into the finale just so he could make a winning case? Yes. But... hey, it worked. I didn't want Rick to win, but seeing the shenanigans he pulled with those fake idols, I'd have respected it completely. And Chris honestly did a lot in those last five days. That F4 move was huge.

Plus, I can imagine him coaching Gavin and Julie and at one point thinking to himself, 'wow you guys are terrible. I could literally do this better.'

FTC was a roast though. Aside from Chris burning Lauren a bit by insinuating he convinced her to play her idol for him, he pretty much ran circles around Gavin and Julie. I think there was at one point with a shot of Gavin's face where I think he knew it was over.

So, in conclusion, I don't think Chris is gonna be the best winner by any means. I'm not even sure he's a middle of the pack winner. But he had a really strong finish, which is probably more than what I could say for Gavin and Julie who were in there for 39 days, so... he did okay.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly? I am very okay with this outcome.

Were there too many idols in the game? Yes. Did they have to cram 2 hours of Chris into the finale just so he could make a winning case? Yes. But... hey, it worked. I didn't want Rick to win, but seeing the shenanigans he pulled with those fake idols, I'd have respected it completely. And Chris honestly did a lot in those last five days. That F4 move was huge.

Plus, I can imagine him coaching Gavin and Julie and at one point thinking to himself, 'wow you guys are terrible. I could literally do this better.'

FTC was a roast though. Aside from Chris burning Lauren a bit by insinuating he convinced her to play her idol for him, he pretty much ran circles around Gavin and Julie. I think there was at one point with a shot of Gavin's face where I think he knew it was over.

So, in conclusion, I don't think Chris is gonna be the best winner by any means. I'm not even sure he's a middle of the pack winner. But he had a really strong finish, which is probably more than what I could say for Gavin and Julie who were in there for 39 days, so... he did okay.

Of course Chris was more comfortable speaking to the jury who he didn't vote out and who were his friends for the past month.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Binary Logic posted:

Of course Chris was more comfortable speaking to the jury who he didn't vote out and who were his friends for the past month.

Put Reem, Joe or Eric in his place and I don't know if they'd have done as well. His FTC wasn't flawless (he burned Kelley hard and Lauren wasn't entirely happy either), but the dude is a salesman. You have to give him credit for being able to talk.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
EW's interview with Rick (and Chris) are up:

quote:

You are uniquely qualified to answer this, because you did spend time on Extinction Island and you were back in the game. Did Chris have an advantage in the fact that he was able to kiss and make up to most of the jury in a non-game setting at Edge, while Gavin and Julie were not?

Oh my gosh, the advantage is monumental. I had a great relationship, when I won my way back in, with Reem, and Aubry, and Chris, and Keith, and Wendy because the only thing you have over there is time to make peace with these people. So Chris, not only did he have all that, where, like you said, you’ve been out there providing them with rice in the morning, and coconut, and fish, whereas Julie and Gavin are scrambling to stay alive in the game.

And then, when Chris comes back in with all that information from the Edge, the fact that Lauren has an idol, none of us would’ve ever known that. He came back, that you didn’t see, with written notes from some of the contestants. He had a written note from Ron, telling Julie to trust him. I mean, these are monumental advantages in the game. So that’s also something that came into my thought process when I gave Gavin the vote.

Oof, that EoE advantage is pretty big. Really, Ron?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Still laughing this morning that some Chris guy stole the path they built for Joe to win the game.

I guess the reason I’m so delighted by this is that production keeps tinkering with the game to try to engineer winners to their liking and it just completely blew up in their faces this time. Total chaos outcome and honestly a really fun ride in the finale. And hopefully they never do it again!

What the hell, written notes? Where’d they get pen and paper?!

Redemption Island was dumb too but I guess with that you could at least see who was advancing, and more recent boots didn’t have to win as many times to come back in, where here you can get some guy airdropping in totally out of left field.

And in a way other EoE players probably felt like if they weren’t willing to vote Chris after that absolute blitz he put on upon his return, then what were they doing all that time on EoE? It would be like admitting their time there was pointless.

Random aside: I forgot how fun it is to see the newest juror each week come in with a shower and a shave, makeup or whatever, totally transformed sometimes.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 16, 2019

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Insinuating? You mean, literally what he did, when he told her "Wentworth will respect you more when you play your idol for me"?

Fast Luck posted:

What the hell, written notes? Where’d they get pen and paper?!

I'm hoping the notes were made of torn up parts of their letters from self, ransom note style.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Spergatory posted:

Yeah the twist was dumb as hell but they'll never be able to do it better so I hope they retire it for good.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Lone Goat posted:

Insinuating? You mean, literally what he did, when he told her "Wentworth will respect you more when you play your idol for me"?

We know that's what happened, but FTC is a mix of soothing their wounded pride and gaining their respect. Some people would respect that remark, Kelley and Lauren felt irritated by it, even though Lauren backtracked later.

He basically said, 'yeah, I embarrassed you socially.'. Of course someone who was voted out 2 days earlier is still gonna be bruising a little bit from that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Chris had a Ron written note telling Julie to trust him?

Ok, Edge of Extinction was a terrible mistake. I take back every defense I made of it. Sorry, Reem.

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

Arrogant? I'll have you know Chris learned a very valuable lesson from this experience that he's not - as he thought when the game started - literally perfect. If that's not humble, what it is?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, that's also half on Julie for falling for it. Anyone could have come in and gone, 'Ron and I really bonded. I think he'd want me to work with you.'

Really, Julie was responsible for a lot of it going to mush. Her picking Chris to go on reward let him talk strategy when the smart move would be to ostracize Rick and Chris, and then take one of them out as early as possible.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Khanstant posted:

I would absolutely enjoy a show with 20 people put in the desert or island or abandoned city and the winner is last one to not leave. No challenges, no rewards, no idols, no voting out. Maybe a season goes on forever, they just settle and live their lives, they give birth and their children are the next contestants.

This is from a few pages ago, but this show exists and is called Alone! It's pretty great.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
I think the Jury made the right call but it's still weird thinking of a guy that played like 11 days as the sole survivor. Would have preferred if the EoE winner would have rejoined on 8 instead of 6.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Why was Chris dressed as Kazuma Kiryu at the finale?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

freeman posted:

I think the Jury made the right call but it's still weird thinking of a guy that played like 11 days as the sole survivor. Would have preferred if the EoE winner would have rejoined on 8 instead of 6.

I was thinking the same thing earlier. I think the returnee should have come back at 8.

How is the finale playing out with other fans? Is there any pushback on the Chris win?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

TMMadman posted:

I was thinking the same thing earlier. I think the returnee should have come back at 8.

How is the finale playing out with other fans? Is there any pushback on the Chris win?

A fair amount of pushback as far as I can tell, but a lot of is more on the twist and abundance of advantages rather than Chris as an actual player. It's either that he shouldn't have been gifted an idol, or that he came back too late, or that him coming back with information and time to bond with the jury was unfair. Some purists also think that someone who was ever voted out shouldn't win.

That said, his actual gameplay is generally commended, given how well he outplayed the rest of the final 6. The deck was stacked in his favour, but he made amazing use of what he was given while other potential returnees might have misplayed them.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I've only started watching but what the hell are all these speeches after Chris(?) won?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

CODChimera posted:

I've only started watching but what the hell are all these speeches after Chris(?) won?

Did they even ask Chris a single question at the Reunion?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Devans watching and laughing as Lauren searched for the idol was incredible. I hope he wins for that alone.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Just watching the finale now, and my god this has been an amazing finale with all the Devins stuff.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I turned it off after Chris won the fire making challenge. This season simply doesn't exist to me. They never played a Season 38. Start making seasons without all these gimmicks. I already don't want to watch the next one because it looks like it will be filled with gimmicks and advantages already.

How about a simple game where they put 16-20 people on an island and let them vote each other off every week without all sorts of random bullshit happening? Maybe have a couple of hidden advantages but don't fill the game with them.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
my opinion on rick is still:
I think Rick is a fun guy and a good character
BUT
this edit was loving horrendous and I hated seeing his face on screen every 20 seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Number19 posted:

I turned it off after Chris won the fire making challenge. This season simply doesn't exist to me. They never played a Season 38. Start making seasons without all these gimmicks. I already don't want to watch the next one because it looks like it will be filled with gimmicks and advantages already.

How about a simple game where they put 16-20 people on an island and let them vote each other off every week without all sorts of random bullshit happening? Maybe have a couple of hidden advantages but don't fill the game with them.

You’ve got to have some advantages to give the people willing to work above and beyond to win. Most people do not put in serious idol hunting work. Without advantages you get boring Pagongings and uninteresting game bots.