Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Is Gendry's naturalization into a Boratheon even legit after they kill Dany? Would her reign actually be recognized in the official lineage of royalty? Unless there's a long passage of time that's not in the spoilers, she basically nukes a city with a standing Queen and then herself gets killed very soon thereafter, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

iamsosmrt posted:

Is Gendry's naturalization into a Boratheon even legit after they kill Dany? Would her reign actually be recognized in the official lineage of royalty? Unless there's a long passage of time that's not in the spoilers, she basically nukes a city with a standing Queen and then herself gets killed very soon thereafter, right?

you will find that in the confusing succession laws under feudalism whatever is convenient is declared legitimate very quickly by the ruling nobility

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Typo posted:

:stare:

didn't the targs marry -some- other families at any point after that?

Aemon's mother (Dany's great grandmother) was a Dayne.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

iamsosmrt posted:

Bran's first act will be to have Gendry executed so there won't be any possible threats to his rule. :twisted:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

iamsosmrt posted:

There's no reason Bran wouldn't legitimize him anyway.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I hope that there will be such a huge backslash reaction to this season that Disney takes star wars away from these dimwit trust fund kids. Something about people acting so condescendingly and arrogant after making GBS threads all over the bed and the the couch just rubs me the wrong. gently caress D&D

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Again with these leaks or spoilers my problem isn't the bulletin point summary of the plot, it's how rushed, unearned, hollow, and unreal it all feels.

Jon becoming King would've been the conventional fantasy arc. GRRM intentionally wouldn't do that.

Dany going tyrant was heavily foreshadowed. They just botched the breaking point.

Arya not being able to live in the real world after what she's done and seen and going west across the mysterious sea IS very Tolkienesque. I like it. I just wish they'd set it up even a little bit as a possibility so it doesn't seem to come out of nowhere.

Sansa remaining as Queen of the North makes total sense.

Jon going north of the wall to live with the wildlings makes total sense. Being ordered to go there via the supposed Night's Watch by Tyrion of all people, however, is dumb.

Tyrion being hand of the king makes sense. Even though he's not Cersei, he's still a Lannister. I could see how it wouldn't be satisfying if a Lannister ended up on the throne after all in the end.

Bran being King himself though doesn't make any drat sense. No one hates him, because he's nothing. And he presumably can't even have children. Makes you wonder if it's maybe Egg in the books.

Grey Worm going back to Essos to continue liberating slaves makes sense. He was a true believer in Dany's supposed mission and has nothing else to live for at this point.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Admiral Ray posted:

Gendry is also the closest living relative of Daenerys at this point. His great grandmother is her great aunt.

That's what, second cousins once removed?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

There's no reason Bran wouldn't legitimize him anyway.

The main reason I could think of is that Bran is a barely functioning autist with no wants or connection to people anymore.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm gonna be honest I'm basically okay with the ending

All the characters I hate get hosed over, all the characters I like come out happy and healthy

The only thing I'm unsure about is, what the gently caress was with that symbolism with Arya if they're doing this ending? Like it looked like she's gonna come back nuclear pissed and gently caress some poo poo up, hence the pale horse and etc, but I didn't see anything like that in the spoilers.

They don't explain it in the behind the scenes either but i think they were going for the opposite (Arya realises death and destruction is bad, decides to go for life)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The children of the forest vaccinated Bram

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Arya dies as there is nothing to the west but three lovely rocks and more ironmen

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Typo posted:

Sansa doesn't make sense from story perspective because

1) she's clearly a northern separatist

2) she has 0 claim on the throne

though in reality you would marry sansa to gendry (or jon snow if he's king) to personal union the 2 kingdoms

She'd have about the same claim on the throne as King Robert had.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Opferwurst posted:

The children of the forest vaccinated Bram

Nah, the Night King's hand is full of vax. Before Arya interrupted, NK was simply reaching behind for his booster shot as Bran was due.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

feedmyleg posted:

She'd have about the same claim on the throne as King Robert had.

Actually Robert had some Targ family which was the basis of his claim. :eng101:

His grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen.

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

I buy most of this, but the epilogue-y stuff sounds incredibly stupid. "We just made every remaining alive named character a member of the council."

a. Sam isn't even a regular maester yet
b. Bronn LOL okay keep your promise, sure but put him on the council? Why would he even want that?
c. Brienne - is sworn to Sansa, she'd be staying in Winterfell and I don't see why Sansa would get rid of such a huge asset. She's got to be by far the most deadly fighter left in the kingdom, since Arya is leaving. I could maybe see her becoming head of Kingsguard if Sansa decided protecting Bran was more important.

Also ... this turn of events is going to cause major chaos. This "council" (who without a king are just a self-appointed group of people and are mostly supporters of the tyrant "queen" Daenerys Targaryen who just burned up the capital city of the country), just put someone on the throne who has no claim, have given the Starks effective control of all Westeros, put a random guy at the head of one of the Great Houses, left a complete power vacuum in the Riverlands, and they have completely ignored Dorne. They're ending the show with one of the most interesting situations they have set up for a few seasons and it's just going to be the end.

quote:

Bran being King himself though doesn't make any drat sense. No one hates him, because he's nothing. And he presumably can't even have children. Makes you wonder if it's maybe Egg in the books.

That makes so much more sense. To have the "mummer's dragon" be the one to end up on the throne is a great way to end the story without a cliche ending but in a way that makes some sense. And Tyrion has spent a significant amount of time with him. The only question would be how the north fits into this equation and comes to support him.

Lowly fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 16, 2019

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Typo posted:

:stare:

didn't the targs marry -some- other families at any point after that?

Yeah but they're all dead.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
The only thing to do with the horse that would make... well it wouldn't make sense but it's the only thing that has some sort of thought behind it is to have her be dead and the horse is some kind of death vision of her and now she is become death, riding the pale horse. Finally truly faceless and the true God of Death... Or something.

The horse was really loving stupid.

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

iamsosmrt posted:

The main reason I could think of is that Bran is a barely functioning autist with no wants or connection to people anymore.

ALL HAIL KING :fishmech:

Boy, I do love a technocratic utopia where the supreme ruler is a dude who literally isn't capable of caring about his people.

Edit: Was looking for a different smilie, but this one is better

The Unnamed One fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 16, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I feel like Dorne is going to look at all this and go "well, we were Targ loyalists so gently caress you all anyway we're independent now come at us if you really want but we're the only ones with an untouched army left and even Aegon couldn't conquer us."

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Moridin920 posted:

Actually Robert had some Targ family which was the basis of his claim. :eng101:

His grandmother was Rhaelle Targaryen.

Didnt they get made up after the fact? Like once Robert took over people were like "ohhh uhhhh oh look! there's a targ twice removed or something, so yeah, uh yeah"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Didnt they get made up after the fact? Like once Robert took over people were like "ohhh uhhhh oh look! there's a targ twice removed or something, so yeah, uh yeah"

Nah it was a known thing I think. Like it's not just a Targ twice removed it was his grandmother and nobles like to keep track of lineages.

It's not really that big of a deal because in the end the king is whoever has the military power to say they are the king.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Lmao if the horse ends up being just a horse that happened to be there for no reason

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

mastershakeman posted:

That's what, second cousins once removed?

Second cousins I think. Bobby B was Daenerys 1st cousin once removed.

Admiral Ray fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 16, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Baratheon's are descendants of Targaryans anyways, the founder of the house, Orys Baratheon was Aegon's half-brother. He took the name Baratheon after claiming Storm's End in Aegon's name, and took the Storm Lord's daughter for his wife.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Baratheons started out as a branch of the Targs too.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
When you think about it, isn't everyone related to everyone?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

King Samwell makes no less sense than Grand Maester Samwell. He never even became a Maester and there's no way he's getting a chain after the poo poo he pulled. Seeing as Jon didn't end up becoming king, it wasn't important in the end to tell him about his lineage. It didn't matter. Had he just been Ned Stark's bastard, everything would have been the same except maybe Varys is still alive.

Honestly, if Jon never finds out about his lineage, he probably DOES become King, since Dany will almost certainly marry him to solidify her hold on Westeros in this hypothetical.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
I hope the next series follows Arya around "North America" where she chases whatever Aztec / Mayan-like people giving them all small pox. Truly the God of Death.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Honestly, if Jon never finds out about his lineage, he probably DOES become King, since Dany will almost certainly marry him to solidify her hold on Westeros in this hypothetical.

*in a very Preston Jacobs voice* the Three Eyed Raven engineered events so that he would become King in the body of Brandon Stark.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

As I think about it, I'm glad I spoiled myself last week. The mainstream reaction to this ending is going to be glorious. It actually reads like some weird Bran fan fiction ending that drops the final bit of everything that made the political intrigue great. All the biggest assholes die and they establish the first democratic monarchy?

I preferred my original prediction of blah ending where Danearys or Jon or whomever won the throne with tons of fanfare and just ends up another mundane rear end in a top hat who does jack poo poo to improve the world because it's just human nature, ruling is hard, and history repeats.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Well if D&D are to be believed, Dany just snapped because of the Red Keep so he ends up needing to kill her no matter what.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Nail Rat posted:

King Samwell makes no less sense than Grand Maester Samwell. He never even became a Maester and there's no way he's getting a chain after the poo poo he pulled. Seeing as Jon didn't end up becoming king, it wasn't important in the end to tell him about his lineage. It didn't matter. Had he just been Ned Stark's bastard, everything would have been the same except maybe Varys is still alive.

Jon learning about his lineage made him stop loving his aunt, which probably was the tipping point for her to go scorched Earth. So Sam literally made the world a worse place by telling Jon about his parents. Basically every single person would have a better outcome if Jon was still ignorant: King's Landing isn't nuked which is probably good for the tens of thousands that got burnt up, Jaime doesn't die in a pile of rocks, etc.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Jon learning about his lineage made him stop loving his aunt, which probably was the tipping point for her to go scorched Earth. So Sam literally made the world a worse place by telling Jon about his parents. Basically every single person would have a better outcome if Jon was still ignorant: King's Landing isn't nuked which is probably good for the tens of thousands that got burnt up, Jaime doesn't die in a pile of rocks, etc.

I wish they went for an Oldboy ending where Jon realizes what he must do, but can't consciously get over loving aunt vag, so he has Bran mindwarp his memories so he can happily continue to please his queen for the good of the world.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xanderkish posted:

When you think about it, isn't everyone related to everyone?

The Aristocrats!

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

Well if D&D are to be believed, Dany just snapped because of the Red Keep so he ends up needing to kill her no matter what.

She saw how horrible the design of the Lannister armor was and went "Well that ain't gonna work"

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

iamsosmrt posted:

All the biggest assholes die and they establish the first democratic monarchy?

I'm lolin' because if true then I won my friend groups' betting pool.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Is Edmure now Lord Paramount of the Riverlands?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

*in a very Preston Jacobs voice* the Three Eyed Raven engineered events so that he would become King in the body of Brandon Stark.

This is actually really good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think technically it is whoever LF's heir would be? Which I guess is... No one? Idk what happens in that situation really. CK2 teaches me that the title falls back to the liege lord to dispense with as they see fit.

I don't think the three eyed raven 'took over' Bran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Yeah book Dany would suggest this immediately. She's has way more agency and political skill and it sucks how much Benioff and Weiss took from her when they put her on screen.