Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
At the very least during the Katarina mirror match one of her two instances of her yellow special are mapped to the same button (down) but the other is matched to (Left) for Player 1 and (right) for player 2 so at least remapping where on your directional pad the move lies is a thing.

Edit: or it's like that because they mirror the layouts for each player and I'm an idiot. That's also a strong possibility

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 11, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ladiva is basically the obvious grappler from the cast but she still feels like an unexpected addition. She's a good choice.

Ladiva and Leo the Whitefang share the same voice actor, so I was hoping Ladiva would make it into the game!

Maybe Norio Wakamoto's character, Ippatsu, will show up as well. :getin:

MohShuvuu fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 11, 2019

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MohShuvuu posted:

Ladiva and Leo the Whitefang share the same voice actor, so I was hoping Ladiva would make it into the game!

Maybe Norio Wakamoto's character, Ippatsu, will show up as well. :getin:

I'm not buying it unless we get Ramen Will Graham

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Random news:

-The original Guilty Gear port's out today on Steam, Switch and PS4, as is GGXXAC+R for Switch and the retail double-pack for Switch/PS4. GG doesn't have online play.

-SNK's doing a season pass deal on Samsho, buy the full game before June 30 and you'll get the season pass for free (4 characters and a couple Hyper Neo Geo 64-style low-poly skins for Haohmaru and Nakoruru)

-Street Fighter 2 SCE's gonna be on Megadrive Mini, as is Treasure's 4-player Yuyu Hakusho fighting game, if you plug in a USB hub you can play with a full 4 players

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Anyone have any advice on not getting stressed out by ranked?

I like playing and competing but after an hour or so I'm basically a wreck.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Natural 20 posted:

Spend some time playing a character you have no expectations for and don’t mind losing with as you learn their matchups.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Watch that video of James Chen screaming and pulling his hair out and have a nice relaxing laugh

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

I mean play while its fun, and if you start getting stressed in an unfun way, go and play something else for a while. Like, you could go into training mode and work on a combo if thats your jam, play a different character, or hell throw in a different game all together. Unless you are some sponsored tournament monster (you aren't) there's no reason to keep playing after you no longer are enjoying the game.

Play until you aren't enjoying it, then play something else, and come back once it seems fun again.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Play Tekken :v:. For some reason ranked Tekken doesn't have anywhere near the ranked tilt factor for me that other games do.

One cool thing is to set a simple goal for yourself, like break a throw, or land a certain combo, etc. while telling yourself your current rank doesn't matter cause you're focusing on a fundamental or some kind of tech which'll improve the long term game. Then go in however many games you feel like just trying to do that one thing. It helps you chill out some cause you're kind of expecting to lose, and if you do whateverrr mannn you weren't trying to win anyway, and if you land that thing you're working on a few times then great consider it a victory. I think it's a great way to take a break without actually taking a break while also sharpening up gaps in your gameplay. (And the deranking effect for easier matches doesn't hurt for anti-tilt.)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Been getting back into GG Xrd as of late, is the anime airdash thread pretty much dead or was a new GG thread created? Curious if there are some good written guides on the characters since I just started playing the Rev2 version. Answer is extremely fun with his little ninja signposts to cling off of and zip to.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

teh_Broseph posted:

Play Tekken :v:. For some reason ranked Tekken doesn't have anywhere near the ranked tilt factor for me that other games do.

I hate long combo games as a rule. Tekken seems cool but that and the complexity of movement intimidates me away pretty hard.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
guilty gear reddit should have a discord with character-specific guides/videos pinned.

GG's a great game but a lot of people switched to UNI (even though the games arent all that similar), sadly i do not believe there is another place on these forums that GG discussion is occurring in.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

There is also a GG channel in the punchgoons discord which i think is linked in the OP.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the airdasher thread kind of died because the currently popular anime fighter is UNIST which isn't one. GG is in the 'wait for next version' part of its lifecycle now

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No Wave posted:

guilty gear reddit should have a discord with character-specific guides/videos pinned.

GG's a great game but a lot of people switched to UNI (even though the games arent all that similar), sadly i do not believe there is another place on these forums that GG discussion is occurring in.

Xrd is old enough now that you can just ask questions and someone here has been playing the character for years and will have answers

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ask me about the best button in the game, Venom 6p

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
is Xrd even getting another version in the near future

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pomp posted:

Xrd is old enough now that you can just ask questions and someone here has been playing the character for years and will have answers
If there is a resident Answer expert I'll be impressed.

dragon enthusiast posted:

is Xrd even getting another version in the near future
No one knows but all the fake leaks were talking about a new iteration so that's what most people expect (it's also been a while since rev2). GG doesnt seem to actually make money so the timelines are really sketchy which fueled the UNI migration a bit.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

I hate long combo games as a rule. Tekken seems cool but that and the complexity of movement intimidates me away pretty hard.

Tekken combos are the shortest in the biz

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In Training posted:

Do we count Bushido Blade hits as combos or do you have to hit two or more times in succession during a stun before the opponent dies to count?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Tekken has pretty simple combo logic once you get into it. It's a launcher into filler, a specific move that makes them spin, and something that knocks them down. You're usually doing pretty much the same stuff regardless of what launcher you use too, unless you're doing optimized poo poo.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Pomp posted:

Was curious if there are any players who use Slayer regularly since he seems to stick out, not sure how to best use the inputs of those specials except as combo enders. Have tried out Elphelt recently too and I guess she's just an annoying zoner? She has a legit rifle that can aim on screen.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DLC Inc posted:

Was curious if there are any players who use Slayer regularly since he seems to stick out, not sure how to best use the inputs of those specials except as combo enders. Have tried out Elphelt recently too and I guess she's just an annoying zoner? She has a legit rifle that can aim on screen.

Check out very chill dude Daymendous guide

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zRrZfcga-ZrCacxc2LBVuDWQl6FtGFyU1GX1rfiUeQk/edit?usp=drivesdk

You can play elphelt however you want, outside of a few matchups where you need to be wary of characters with good answers to some of her horseshit

Pomp fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 16, 2019

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Natural 20 posted:

There is so much more to tekken than doing the perfect distance wall carry combo dont let jdcr and friends make you think that if you arent playing at their level it isnt worth playing at all.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Fantasy Strike might be the game for you!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Barudak posted:

Do we count Bushido Blade hits as combos or do you have to hit two or more times in succession during a stun before the opponent dies to count?

I was just considering the contemporaries in that statement

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Pomp posted:

Ask me about the best button in the game, Venom 6p

I believe this is the greatest button ever conceived:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Reiley posted:

I believe this is the greatest button ever conceived:

I'd like to see may do this

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

In Training posted:

#EmbraceDeath

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Pomp posted:

I'd like to see may do this

this is vile

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

No it’s Venom.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Natural 20 posted:

long combo games

:thunk:

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

tbf tekken 7 is pretty combo heavy compared to earlier tekken games. but yeah that's still a weird thing to say

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

sharrrk posted:

tbf tekken 7 is pretty combo heavy compared to earlier tekken games. but yeah that's still a weird thing to say

Like I guess you do 7 hit juggles instead of 4 hit juggles now

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
They haven't really changed lengths in the last 3 games and also aren't very long.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm just saying i can see why someone who isn't familiar with tekken might think they look overwhelming after seeing just a couple matches without playing the game. i personally think tekken combos are a lot easier to learn than most fighting games and have pretty much the perfect length

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The thing that's fun about them too is that you can kinda make your own and get like. 80% to optimal. Which feels good, compared to most other games which have stricter combo routes and such

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Tekken combos have always made more sense to me because the buttons generally align with what you're doing, so a right punch move is tied to RP and something using both legs is generally tied to LK+RK.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

In Training posted:

The thing that's fun about them too is that you can kinda make your own and get like. 80% to optimal. Which feels good, compared to most other games which have stricter combo routes and such

I've played Tekken for a real long time and there are certain things I know are optimal and I'm still like "ehhhh nah, not worth"

Esp when I can just deathfist someone again instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

it feels really good to successfully improvise a combo because of weird positioning in tekken